What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Jeff V »

Pink Floyd videos on You Tube, at my 3 year old's request. The other day, was watching a Nic Cage movie and a nurse asked his character, "can you show me where it hurts?" My daughter immediately exclaimed, "Pink Floyd!"
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Charlie Parker while I work on an upcoming RPG session.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Shame he had to die in order for this to be released because it's pretty insane.

via NPR:
The track had already been covered on records by The Pointer Sisters and Rebbie Jackson, as well as Prince's self-titled second album, but Khan's version is the one that became a classic. Before any of those versions, though, the song existed only as an unreleased acoustic demo by Prince, who was just 20 at the time.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sabbath Assembly - _Restored to One_

found the limited edition version in a bargain bin! #228/500, black flocked packaging with gold foil inlay. looks classy
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When these "oldies" pop up via my random Youtube mixer, I always rush off to the Wiki page to read up on anything related to the band or song I didn't know about at the time. Sure enough, the album title had a meaning:
According to frontman David Lowery, the album title comes from the band's early days in Richmond, Virginia. Lowery lived with Cracker guitarist Johnny Hickman in an old dilapidated house whose only source of heat came from two kerosene heaters. To buy more kerosene meant a cold walk to a nearby gas station, so before leaving the house, Lowery would bundle up and put on an old wool hunting cap – his "kerosene hat." "To this day," says Lowery, "the smell of kerosene reminds me of the poverty and the wistful hope we had for our music."
I love learning this random stuff.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

William DuVall - One Alone

don't really care for acoustic solo singer-songwriter material, but this guy is being wasted as a drop-in replacement for Layne Staley in AiC - his voice is so much more capable.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I found out kind of randomly that a guy I've been playing volleyball with the past year had put out this video (link below) a while back. If you like any of the popular EDM-ish stuff like Chainsmokers or Calvin Harris, it's very similar, and IMHO, just as good. He had mentioned he was a DJ but I thought he just meant in the traditional sense like for parties and stuff.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LAY DOWN YOUR SOULS TO THE GODS ROCK AND ROLL
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know what's more impressive - that I just found out that the lead singer of this band is the cousin of Bruce Dickinson:

or that he named his band after a medieval torture device (like his cousin's band). Sorry to be the last one to get this cheeky British joke (and yes I know Bruce wasn't a founding member). Also, 90s music...still awesome.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

time to listen through the entire Catherine Wheel discography, again. found a pile of their early import singles/EPs in a Half-Price Books bargain bin a few years ago, which was an excellent score.

now listening to the new Ride album, which is, so far, excellent.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Right now?

We got 13 trick-or-treaters. Turned off the porch lights and blasting this album at full volume...

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I thought Catherine Wheel was Canadian for some reason. Sparks Are Gonna Fly was such a late-90s alternative trip. There really was something as unique in that period of rock as there was in any other.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, Wilderun's "Veil of Imagination" released this morning.

I came into it already expecting that it would end up as my personal Album of the Year, simply based on how good their previous record was. Yet, somehow, it's even better than I could have expected. Epic is the only possible word I can use to describe it (and I'm not alone there).

You can listen to the whole album on their bandcamp here. If this doesn't stir something in you, ya might want to get your pulse checked.

Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:39 am So, Wilderun's "Veil of Imagination" released this morning.
Listening through this, even tho I'm not into this deathmetal voice showing up once in a while (but can ignore that easily), the rest is impressive!
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strange how I remember all the theme songs to tv shows from the 70s and 80s.
Lnorigb

Post by Lnorigb »

Triggercut’s Halloween 11.

“There’s a ghost in me that wants to say ‘I’m sorry’ it doesn’t mean I’m sorry.”
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." -anais nin

“Some people never go crazy; what truly horrible lives they must live.” - charles bukowski
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lnorigb wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:47 pm “There’s a ghost in me that wants to say ‘I’m sorry’ it doesn’t mean I’m sorry.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:43 pm Strange how I remember all the theme songs to tv shows from the 70s and 80s.
Not really that strange. There wasn't a "skip intro" button back then. We heard those theme songs over and over and over until they were locked into our brains forever.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

🎵 Standing tall on the wings of my dreams
Rise and fall on the wings of my dreams🎵
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:05 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:43 pm Strange how I remember all the theme songs to tv shows from the 70s and 80s.
Not really that strange. There wasn't a "skip intro" button back then. We heard those theme songs over and over and over until they were locked into our brains forever.
Plus they were longer songs with lyrics and everything. IIRC, Seinfeld was a bit of a pioneer with it's odd syncopated non-theme song.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:30 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:05 pm
Plus they were longer songs with lyrics and everything. IIRC, Seinfeld was a bit of a pioneer with it's odd syncopated non-theme song.
We also didn't binge watch or have 90 series to choose from every season and watched more syndicated shows. I *will* say that as I sit and watch 3 or 4 episodes of Narruto maybe 5 days we week. I do watch and listen to each of the ever changing opening and closing music at least once or twice. They did a crazy good job of showing some diversity (though often diversity in punk) in their music, while often being really good. The odd thing though is they use the same in show music again and again. I fear by the time I finish the show I will know their mood music and it will play as a soundtrack in my head in same way I know Gilligan's Island mood music in my head now.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence

much more low-key than her other albums (other than the acoustic one). the folky-acoustic style seems to suit her better.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

She looks fun.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Conform or be cast out!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Aether Realm was announced for the cruise this week, and I'm absolutely thrilled. Their "Tarot" album from a couple years ago is sheer brilliance.

My favorite is this collaboration they did with Chris Bowles (Alestorm, Gloryhammer).

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My gosh man, I'm so bummed I missed them with Gloryhammer earlier this year. I've only given their catalogue a couple listens, but The Magician? I think that's in my top 5 metal songs of all time now. The depth of that song is amazing with repeated listens. I love the drumming.

I've been listening to a lot of Aephanemer in preparation for their concern with Alestorm tonight. Really digging them after having listened to their common set list songs several times.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:22 pm I've been listening to a lot of Aephanemer in preparation for their concern with Alestorm tonight.
Can't wait to hear if they got a replacement duck. :)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The word is they did!! But they no longer throw it into the crowd. :( I will provide a firsthand account later.

JCC

Post by JCC »

Thumbs up on Aephanemer!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ManAboutNothing

Post by ManAboutNothing »

Rick Astley "Never Gonna Give You Up". This was a hit song, really? It has some of the most vapid lyrics in the history of modern music.
Derek
Very part-time indie developer and full time internet business tinkerer/failure/blunderer
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:52 pm
Watched the movie lately, my god that didn't age well. Visually still OK, but the stories :shock:
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

ManAboutNothing wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:59 am Rick Astley "Never Gonna Give You Up". This was a hit song, really? It has some of the most vapid lyrics in the history of modern music.
Greetings, Man. How did you find this place? Oh, and be prepared to be called a bot.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ManAboutNothing

Post by ManAboutNothing »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:59 pm
ManAboutNothing wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:59 am Rick Astley "Never Gonna Give You Up". This was a hit song, really? It has some of the most vapid lyrics in the history of modern music.
Greetings, Man. How did you find this place? Oh, and be prepared to be called a bot.
I'm actually a slightly older member that wanted to start a new ID. The old ID no longer represented me or my station in life. So, no bot. At least as far as i'm aware.
Derek
Very part-time indie developer and full time internet business tinkerer/failure/blunderer
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Derek Smart is back!? :shock: