What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy Nym wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:And now I'm listening to Front Line Assembly's Millenium. :)
That album had the best samples.
i was disappointed with this album - way too metal for my liking. the mid-90s trend of shoving more (and more) guitar into synthesizer-based music really annoyed me. i had pre-ordered that record, even.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:And now I'm listening to Front Line Assembly's Millenium. :)
That album had the best samples.
i was disappointed with this album - way too metal for my liking. the mid-90s trend of shoving more (and more) guitar into synthesizer-based music really annoyed me. i had pre-ordered that record, even.

some of FLA's musical directions are... questionable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvnNmXnTYPo

and what did they do to Delirium?? went from interesting soundscapes to spa resort muzak.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I can totally appreciate that. I think it appealed to me as I came to industrial through metal. But compared to what I know of FLA's earlier works it was extremely abrasive (and not in the good, industrial noise sense) and not very nuanced. Personally, once I got deeper into the genre I came to appreciate the other end of the spectrum and got more into the EBM/synthpop side of things. Mind you, I was discovering this stuff as a teen in the late 90s, 5-10 years late to the show.

When it came to guitar-driven industrial my favourite was always KMFDM. But I was always kind of embarrassed by them due to their generally inane (pun intended!) lyrics. But now as an adult I realize how tongue-in-cheek much of it was and it kind of appeals to me as an at-times tonally lighter take on the genre. Of course, like most bands in the genre they also went to some melodramatically dark places.
hitbyambulance wrote:some of FLA's musical directions are... questionable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvnNmXnTYPo
Wow... what even is this. I never came across that in my travels... it's so incredibly late-90s. This is obviously FLA the experimentalists/producers. :lol: It's really not horrible.

Holy crap, look at some of the other names on that album. And it's on Spotify! My goodness... the Pride (In The Name Of Love) cover by Razed in Black is the most horrendous thing I've ever heard up until 01:20 into the song. And then it goes full Downward Spiral. I'm dying. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy Nym wrote: Holy crap, look at some of the other names on that album. And it's on Spotify! My goodness... the Pride (In The Name Of Love) cover by Razed in Black is the most horrendous thing I've ever heard up until 01:20 into the song. And then it goes full Downward Spiral. I'm dying. :lol:
you have a whole world of Cleopatra Records Presents "A Tribute To..." cash-cow albums to explore now. i don't envy you.

(these are what sparked that trend, i'm pretty sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rQPn9EHw2I (this is actually good and was played in the clubs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zybYuIh68XA
)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy Nym wrote:I think that's my first time hearing Synthetic Forms. I'll have to listen to it some more--that orchestral loop really tugs at the heartstrings and inspires the imagination. And once the main beat kicks in after 5:00 it really throbs. But this is obviously FLA in their more pondering, soundscape mode.
They use that same back and forth loop quite often in Farscape, and it's hugely distracting every time I hear it. Someone at GT said it originally came from Alien.

FLA's last album, "Echogenetic", was really good. Probably my second favorite next to Implode.

I had a Suicide Commando song come up on shuffle today. Haven't listened to them in probably 10 years.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I love Echogenetic.

Never got into Suicide Commando I don't think except for See You in Hell, which is of course catchy and spooky as... hell.

I've been catching up on what I missed from the genre in the past ten years and have really been digging Rotersand. First Time is another song that takes forever to build but then kicks you in the teeth once it unleashes. Reminds me of VNV Nation's Structure in that regard.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Industrial exploration continues.

How did I not know of Decoded Feedback? They're Canadian, and they were around back when this was my jam.

Enlarge Image

Waiting For The Storm

Dark Passenger

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I like that, can hear lots of Project Pitchfork influence.

The latest from Dead When I Found Her is really good. Lots of old school FLA/SP influence.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Wow, that is really reminiscent of FLA/SP. The only song of theirs I was familiar with previously was New Drugs which I really love.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sudy Nym wrote:Wow, that is really reminiscent of FLA/SP. The only song of theirs I was familiar with previously was New Drugs which I really love.
Has anyone called Huey Lewis?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Sudy Nym wrote:Wow, that is really reminiscent of FLA/SP. The only song of theirs I was familiar with previously was New Drugs which I really love.
Has anyone called Huey Lewis?
I'm sure he's heard the News.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Damn....

Enlarge Image

Where Do We Go from Here
Ain't It a Sin
Changes (Black Sabbath cover)
Stay Away (Nirvana cover)

geezer

Post by geezer »

Wife has the Hamilton cast recording blasting through the house.
Spoiler:
It's really very clever and very good.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

I remember being extremely disappointed with this album when I bought it not long after its release (1999). The big single Crush 'Em was OK (in my high schooler mind), and I really liked The Doctor Is Calling (enough to design a backyard wrestling persona around the song). Now I realize it's a a laughably poor imitation of sinister early 90s metal tracks like Enter Sandman (but I still kind of like it).

But the rest of the album stunk. It didn't have the quality of their previous album Cryptic Writings (which itself is probably considered overproduced mainstream dreck by the band's 80s fans), and it sure as hell wasn't thrash. Many of the other songs were surprisingly... upbeat. Tracks like Wanderlust, Breadline, and I'll Be There made me cringe.

But now, 18 years later, as an adult with much broader musical horizons, I've found appreciation for this album. It's not "good" by any stretch, but I enjoy it for what it is. I especially like Breadline, now. It's funny, because if I didn't know better that track would make me think I'm listening to a later-era Bon Jovi record (something I've never actually done, but I figure this is a lot what it would be like).

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, there it is. The most brutal track I'll hear all year, and it's only March. Holy crap. :shock:
Sudy Nym wrote:Changes (Black Sabbath cover)
That was...incredible.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Gojira - Magma

Wow, this album has deep groove riffs. It's like if you took the best of Tool, Sepultura, and Fear Factory (at their most melodic) and mixed it together. Yet it's very fresh sounding and does its own thing.

The Shooting Star
Cell
Stranded
Magma

Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Greta Van Fleet

WTF is this?!?
A bunch of kids playing music that I actually like?
To be fair, this has been happening with increasing frequency as of late, and well, here's the latest (the following 4 songs appear to be the sum total of what they have thus far realeased):

Black Smoke Rising
Highway Tune
Safari Song
Flower Power

Definite shades of Robert Plant in that vocalist.

Enlarge Image
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

And, how about some Punky Meadows? New album as of last year. Well, okay. Only solo album. He was out of the business for over 30 years, but now he's back.

I bought the album. To be honest, he's playing it pretty safe (see the link for a good example), but man, he makes those guitar solos look easy.

Enlarge Image
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

listening to the new Blondie album, _Pollinator_. Debbie Harry turns 72 next month, and the original band members are also up there in age. good on them for continuing to release new albums and not becoming a perma-nostalgia act. (altho "Long Time" borrows more than a bit musically from "Heart of Glass".) the album they released a few years ago (_Ghosts of Download_) is pretty good - too bad it was only sold with that compilation of re-recordings of their old songs.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

lolll
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im listening to everything Frog Leap Studios has made. Its one guy, Leo Moracchioli. He does amazing metal covers of about any song you can think of and does them well.

His version of Hello by Adele.

Edited because I linked the wrong video.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote:French avant-garde metal is gleefully insane ("Cheval" by Igorrr).

And hey, a headbanging horse.

don't think 'avant-garde' fits as a label. but i do enjoy their chicken-composed songs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:French avant-garde metal is gleefully insane ("Cheval" by Igorrr).

And hey, a headbanging horse.

don't think 'avant-garde' fits as a label. but i do enjoy their chicken-composed songs
Yeah, they're a little...odd.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Oh yeah, I discovered those guys a while ago. Crazy, awesome stuff. From baroque to folk to death metal to opera to glitch in the space of 60 seconds. Mrs. Nym gets really, really annoyed when I play it. :twisted: Only listened to one of their albums in detail so far. I have to admit it's a pretty intense listen.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy Nym wrote:Oh yeah, I discovered those guys a while ago. Crazy, awesome stuff. From baroque to folk to death metal to opera to glitch in the space of 60 seconds. Mrs. Nym gets really, really annoyed when I play it. :twisted: Only listened to one of their albums in detail so far. I have to admit it's a pretty intense listen.
They released a new album last week and it's absolutely bonkers, In a good way. It's Mr Bungle meets Squarepusher by way of At the Gates.

Check out the video for "Opus Brain"...it's nuts.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ever since they were announced as one of the headliners for the 70K cruise, I've been listening to a ton of Enslaved. I'm amazed at how much prog influence is infused in their particular brand of metal.

The chorus in Ground sounds straight out of a Pink Floyd album (starts at 2:50).
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote:Check out the video for "Opus Brain"...it's nuts.
Solid track! Seems a little more focused and less intentionally weird than the earlier stuff of theirs I've heard.

The video is a masterpiece.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Gojira: The Way of All Flesh

I've been working my way back through their catalogue... and wow, at first listen I didn't care for their older stuff as much, but this album has really leapt out at me after a few plays.

Oroborus
A Sight to Behold
The Art of Dying (A long listen, but the song that sold me on the album. Be warned that the track doesn't brighten until the four-minute mark, and then again approaching six minutes. So if you give up before then it may just seem unrelentingly harsh.)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

listening to the Bowie live album Cracked Actor (Live Los Angeles '74) which i suspect is supposed to be the official new replacement for David Live (the Philadelphia show from this tour). the mix and backing instrumentation is certainly better here, but he sounds more tired/worn out.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

David Live! was the album that introduced me to Bowie, and as such defined his classic songs long before I got used to the studio versions. "Official new replacement" does not compute.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

So... apparently there was a Men Without Hats album in the last decade. That sounds like there's no way it came out after 1986. (They intentionally limited themselves to 24 tracks and used actual synths from the 80s.) And it's good.

Devil Come Round
The Girl With The Silicon Eyes
This War

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy Nym wrote:Enlarge Image

So... apparently there was a Men Without Hats album in the last decade. That sounds like there's no way it came out after 1986. (They intentionally limited themselves to 24 tracks and used actual synths from the 80s.) And it's good.

Devil Come Round
The Girl With The Silicon Eyes
This War
You just made my morning. I had no idea this album existed, and it's fantastic.

My guilty pleasure band lives on!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My boss singing the Magilla Gorilla theme song.

Yesterday was The Banana Splits but that stopped after I played The Dickies version. :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Lately I've watching a lot of YouTubes of a singer called Sia.
I really love her version of California Dreamin.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949