What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Sudy »

F*CK IT UP PIGFACE F*CK IT UP PIGFACE F*CK IT UP

Note: Potentially not safe for work.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
nasai

Post by nasai »

Leprous - The Congregation

Check out 'The Flood.' So epic.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

People still listen to whole albums?

Wait, bands still make whole albums??

:shock:
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote:People still listen to whole albums?

Wait, bands still make whole albums??

:shock:
I'm the exact opposite. I've never just bought a single song from any band. I figure that if I like one of their songs enough to want to buy it then I'll most likely enjoy the rest of their stuff as well, and I pick up the entire album.

Then again, most of what I listen to doesn't exactly lend itself to catchy "singles".
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was being somewhat facetious as I do buy whole albums quite a bit, but I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't just hit "Shuffle All" when listening to music.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Monster Magnet - When the Planes Fall from the Sky (Also, Sitar and Psych Version. Can't decide which I like better....)

I'll never get how lyrics so absurd they make me laugh out loud when I read them sound so epic when belted out by Wyndorf to his psychadelic stoner metal tunes.
When the planes fall from the sky, you'll understand
When the ocean turns to flame, you'll understand
When you watch my baby move, you'll want to take her hand
When Galactus eats your meds, you'll fucking understand

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Loving Big Thief's album Masterpiece.
Enlarge Image

Alternating that and The Editors' various albums.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Alternating that and The Editors' various albums.
(there's no definite article in the band name. like Pixies.)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The new Opeth song sounds like it belongs on a Jethro Tull album from the mid 70's. That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but I do kinda miss the death metal Opeth.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

On the slate for today:

Jack White - Acoustic Recordings 1998 - 2016

Wilco - Schmilco

Also been listening to the new Dinosaur Jr album which is excellent, and the Hamilton soundtrack which I'm WAAAAY behind the curve on but have enjoyed immensely.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I've been addicted to a bunch of podcasts for the last year. One of my favorites is Reply All. The episode I heard this week pretty much blew my mind.

They were discussing companies scamming people by using google ad words to pretend to be a legitimate business while actually doing nothing. That part is hardly surprising. What blew me away was how many scammy sites google took down just last year: 700 million. Crazy.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:The new Opeth song sounds like it belongs on a Jethro Tull album from the mid 70's. That's not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but I do kinda miss the death metal Opeth.
I'm kind of bummed with Opeth as well.

Musically, it's really good stuff. But I'd like some heavy material again. Been several albums with the prog stuff and I'm craving some death metal from them.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Do you ever run into an artist you've never consciously encountered before and are just floored? And you know they're destined to become one of your favourites? It happens so rarely, but when it does it's magical. For example, I remember when I heard Tom Waits for the first time in 2002.

It happened to me the other night with Cardiacs. I can't believe I'm 39 years late to the party!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been a fan of the Alkaline Trio for a while, but after listening to quite a few b-sides and live acoustic versions bundled at the end of their digital albums, I figured I'd splurge and pick this up:

Enlarge Image

Opinions, vary, but I like it. There's just something about turning some of these songs into acoustic up-tempo romps that really works. I do wish they'd get that new album out and go back on tour. I saw them like..13 years ago (Jesus!) and would like to see them again. Hell of a show.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Sudy Nym wrote:Enlarge Image

Monster Magnet - When the Planes Fall from the Sky (Also, Sitar and Psych Version. Can't decide which I like better....)
It's close, but I'll go with Sitar and Psych version, probably because I clicked on that one first. Good stuff though. And you do have a knack for liking songs with strange lyrics. Ocean Metal (yeah) for instance. My girlfriend still belts that line out at random from time to time, just because I played it while she was here and it got stuck in her head. She's gone at the moment. Not gonna being playing this one in her presence.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the new Loop EP that came out last year. "Radial" is particularly somethingsomething
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Giles Habibula wrote:It's close, but I'll go with Sitar and Psych version, probably because I clicked on that one first.
I think you're right. That hard rock edge is diminished, but Monster Magnet's always at their best when they're doing their space/psych rock thing as much as I love their more mainstream anthems. Though there's not as huge a different between the two takes as there is on some of their re-imagining albums (they have two of them now). I'd love to see what they did with a re-imagined Dopes to Infinity or Powertrip, or go the other way entirely and do Spine of God. But I get the sense they more want to play with their more recent material.
Giles Habibula wrote:And you do have a knack for liking songs with strange lyrics. Ocean Metal (yeah) for instance. My girlfriend still belts that line out at random from time to time, just because I played it while she was here and it got stuck in her head.
Haha, that song's epic! Yeah, I've always gravitated to the weird stuff. Of course, this is as tame as it is tonally different from my favourite "weird" album, Captain Beefheart's Doc at the Radar Station.

But both are a far cry from Igorrr. Doesn't really have much in the way of lyrics though.... :D

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Apparently about 20 years late to the party. After traveling to observe Smoove_B and Trent Steel in their native habitat at a Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers show, I have purchased and spent some time listening to the The Refreshments "Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy" album. Solid, very enjoyable to listen to while concentrating on waiting for stupid Ticketmaster to let me by tickets for Roger Waters: Us + Them.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote:Solid, very enjoyable to listen to while concentrating on waiting for stupid Ticketmaster to let me by tickets for Roger Waters: Us + Them.

Got emailed a presales ticket offer for yesterday or Wednesday or whatever. I took one look at the prices and decided I'm OK with not seeing Waters again. I paid $100+ for The Wall and I'm not sorry I did. I'm not playing $150+ to see him again (200+ for the seats I'd want) when I've already seen him a half dozen times, never for more'n $35 before. I'm of a richer stature than I have been in my life but not that much richer.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LordMortis wrote:Got emailed a presales ticket offer for yesterday or Wednesday or whatever. I took one look at the prices and decided I'm OK with not seeing Waters again. I paid $100+ for The Wall and I'm not sorry I did. I'm not playing $150+ to see him again (200+ for the seats I'd want) when I've already seen him a half dozen times, never for more'n $35 before. I'm of a richer stature than I have been in my life but not that much richer.
Every time he goes on tour, I assume it's the last time. And then he goes on tour again. Either way, the tickets have been purchased. :)
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:Apparently about 20 years late to the party. After traveling to observe Smoove_B and Trent Steel in their native habitat at a Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers show, I have purchased and spent some time listening to the The Refreshments "Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy" album. Solid, very enjoyable to listen to
I didn't like it at first, but I years later, I started thinking on the whole Bottle & Fresh Horses (their 2nd album) might be slightly better. And next year would be 20 years for that album, so maybe my liver will regenerate enough if he tours that one...

HERE'S TO LIFE
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Apparently I can only see you perform if your name is Roger.
Make up bags of change
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Queen recorded a much faster version of "We Will Rock You" for the BBC in the 70's.

:banana-guitar:
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Smoove_B wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:Apparently about 20 years late to the party. After traveling to observe Smoove_B and Trent Steel in their native habitat at a Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers show, I have purchased and spent some time listening to the The Refreshments "Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy" album. Solid, very enjoyable to listen to
I didn't like it at first, but I years later, I started thinking on the whole Bottle & Fresh Horses (their 2nd album) might be slightly better. And next year would be 20 years for that album, so maybe my liver will regenerate enough if he tours that one...

HERE'S TO LIFE
My favorite songs are on the Bottle, but I think FFB&B is a better album as a whole. Either way, that band is criminally underrated.

On topic, last night I stumbled upon Steve 'n' Seagulls and seeded a Pandora station with them, and managed to get nothing but bluegrass covers for two hours. Good times.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Cult of the Psychic Fetus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJjEIbHjTHY

Bummed I was too tired to see them this last week. Their live show is simply spectacular.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Exodor wrote:Queen recorded a much faster version of "We Will Rock You" for the BBC in the 70's.
Thanks! I really enjoy that version.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Soft Kill's new album "Choke" is a fantastic slice of retro. Fans of Joy Division, The Cure, Mission UK, any of the 80's goth/new wave/darkwave bands will absolutely eat it up.

Check out "Whirl"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RunningMn9 wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Got emailed a presales ticket offer for yesterday or Wednesday or whatever. I took one look at the prices and decided I'm OK with not seeing Waters again. I paid $100+ for The Wall and I'm not sorry I did. I'm not playing $150+ to see him again (200+ for the seats I'd want) when I've already seen him a half dozen times, never for more'n $35 before. I'm of a richer stature than I have been in my life but not that much richer.
Every time he goes on tour, I assume it's the last time. And then he goes on tour again. Either way, the tickets have been purchased. :)
I mentioned before, I saw him on the Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking tour with Eric Clapton; and I think I paid like $30. I've never seen a better live show in any genre. I recently watched his Mexico City show, and while enjoyable, at the prices he's asking I'd be severely haunted by the Ghost of Waters Past and find the buyers remorse an impediment to actually enjoying the show.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:I mentioned before, I saw him on the Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking tour with Eric Clapton; and I think I paid like $30. I've never seen a better live show in any genre. I recently watched his Mexico City show, and while enjoyable, at the prices he's asking I'd be severely haunted by the Ghost of Waters Past and find the buyers remorse an impediment to actually enjoying the show.
In order:

The Cramps
Jane's Addiction in their early days though their Hey Day.
NIN for the Now I'm Nothing tour.
And... The Futureheads? Seriously, if they ever come back to the US, I'll find a way to see them again. So much fun.

Nothing was better than the Cramps, though. Nothing. The Cramps were the show that all other shows will try to live up to.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Currently listening to Metallica completely embarrass themselves with this new album. It is SO utterly awful.
geezer

Post by geezer »

"Rhiannon"
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm pretty stuck on Endless Boogie right now after hearing them interviewed on Maron's podcast.

You have to have a lot of time on your hands to listen to a whole CD. They jam long!

https://youtu.be/WQ2tw9PNmj8
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Oh yeah, also been digging on The Flaming Lips covering Dark Side Of The Moon, so good!
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

GHOST has been getting alot of airplay with me lately, especially the song Square Hammer, which I could listen to on a loop
24/7.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JSHAW wrote:GHOST has been getting alot of airplay with me lately, especially the song Square Hammer, which I could listen to on a loop
24/7.
Saw Ghost last month, one of the best live shows I've ever seen. Been listening to the "Meliora" album at least once a day since.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Discovered Ghost just a few months ago, and have been a huge fan ever since. Bought all the CDs and the EPs as well.

There was a totally awesome Hellfest 2016 concert up on Youtube, but it's been taken town for the fourth time yesterday. Well worth checking out when someone puts it back up again. It's the best live Youtube concert I've ever seen.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Giles Habibula wrote:Discovered Ghost just a few months ago, and have been a huge fan ever since. Bought all the CDs and the EPs as well.

There was a totally awesome Hellfest 2016 concert up on Youtube, but it's been taken town for the fourth time yesterday. Well worth checking out when someone puts it back up again. It's the best live Youtube concert I've ever seen.
I'm thinking the bass player is a woman, when I watch their youtube concert videos the body just looks too small to be
a man. Totally cool with it if it is a woman, because the thought of a woman rocking out on bass with a band full of dudes
is pretty awesome.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JSHAW wrote:
Giles Habibula wrote:Discovered Ghost just a few months ago, and have been a huge fan ever since. Bought all the CDs and the EPs as well.

I'm thinking the bass player is a woman, when I watch their youtube concert videos the body just looks too small to be
a man. Totally cool with it if it is a woman, because the thought of a woman rocking out on bass with a band full of dudes
is pretty awesome.
While Papa is always the same dude, it's pretty well confirmed that the band members are a bunch of rotating musicians. Bassist for the most recent tour is her.

Oh, and there are plenty of "rocking" female bassists out there.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Skinypupy wrote:Oh, and there are plenty of "rocking" female bassists out there.
Heck yeah, anybody who remembers the '90s knows this!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Oh, and there are plenty of "rocking" female bassists out there.
Heck yeah, anybody who remembers the '90s knows this!
I'm pretty certain is it was the early 90s bassist application from.