What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Z-Corn

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Oh, and there are plenty of "rocking" female bassists out there.
Heck yeah, anybody who remembers the '90s knows this!
I'm pretty certain is it was the early 90s bassist application from.
I miss girls in sundresses and Doc Martens...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

<blech> on the sundresses. I've never been a fan. I'm sure they're comfy as hell, but they look horrible.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Infidel.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote:<blech> on the sundresses. I've never been a fan. I'm sure they're comfy as hell, but they look horrible.
Blasphemy
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote:<blech> on the sundresses. I've never been a fan. I'm sure they're comfy as hell, but they look horrible.
Apparently right now I'm listening to a crazy person. If Billy Corgan can find happiness, honestly you can too. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Wow, they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder but any guy finds a young lady in a sun dress a turn off is clearly in need of help.

Oh and Im listening to Dire Straits this song in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNXncglnsZg
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

She was peeking in your cabin window as you were typing this and instead of knocking on your door to see if you wanted to hang out she just kept on walkin'...

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am divorcing the dress from the model. There is nothing attractive about that dress to me. Sundresses with long skirts are mumus and sundresses with short skirts are toddler clothes. I am probably the only person every who thinks this way, but that's OK. You don't have to agree with me just because you are a sicko and have the desire to have for women in babies clothes.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/stor ... &network=g

Ugly.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Start with gingham and work out from there.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I look that up and google says, nope.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gingham ... m+sundress

The only dresses that come close are the ones that try to emulate the look of the skirt and the top being two separate entities.

You're much better off telling me start with satin nightie and going from there.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Was listening to Bowie's "Hunky Dory" album on the drive home. I find that I still can't get through Life on Mars without choking up a little bit.

Still can't believe he's gone. :(
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My favourite metal band, Slechtvalk, has a new album out on the 20th: Where Wandering Shadows and Mists Collide.

As one of their backers on Indiegogo, I'm super excited to just have downloaded an advance digital copy!

Lyric/promo video on Youtube

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy Nym wrote:My favourite metal band, Slechtvalk, has a new album out on the 20th: Where Wandering Shadows and Mists Collide.

As one of their backers on Indiegogo, I'm super excited to just have downloaded an advance digital copy!

Lyric/promo video on Youtube
With that name and that album art, I was expecting something far more folk metal'ish. Really liked that tune, will need to give these guys another look.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I recommend Mortal Serenity, Allegiance, and my personal favourite: Divided by Malice. Definitely has a little more of a folkish tint for you. ;)

Maybe In Hell I Burn if you want to go back to their roots as a solo black project.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks Sudy, really enjoying this. Even if I can't quite wrap my head around the oxymoron that is "Christian Black Metal".
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Eh, I appreciate that. I don't find them to be overtly religious in their lyrics. More so that they're Christian in their personal beliefs and that shapes their overall message to an extent. They're still a bunch of guys in viking costumes wailing about lost loves and brutal tyrants.

The Christian metal community latches on to whomever personally professes their faith and/or simply tries to put forth a more positive message and eschew the Satanic themes traditionally associated with black metal. But these guys are a far cry from Stryper, or Divinefire for example, whom while I also enjoy as a great symphonic power metal band, I kind of cringe at as they basically sing metal praise choruses.

As someone who believes in Christ but objects to the majority of the modern conservative evangelical establishment (and most of the religious establishments in general), it's still about the music first for me. I merely avoid the overt and specifically anti-Christ stuff personally, since it rubs me the wrong way to internalize something openly hostile to my beliefs. The Christian metal community has been debating for ages whether black metal is anti-Christ by nature. But the more rational and skeptical among us don't accept that a genre of music is intrinsically bound to a philosophy.

Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Enlarge Image

Click here for the music.
I love this. It was recommended to me by Youtube. And Youtube is right more often than not with their recommendations. This music puts me in a good place.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find even a used CD copy of it anywhere for less than $50, and usually more than that.

If any of you should have one, or ever run across one in your travels, I'll pay up to $50 for it, depending on condition.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Giles Habibula wrote:Enlarge Image

Click here for the music.
I love this. It was recommended to me by Youtube. And Youtube is right more often than not with their recommendations. This music puts me in a good place.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find even a used CD copy of it anywhere for less than $50, and usually more than that.

If any of you should have one, or ever run across one in your travels, I'll pay up to $50 for it, depending on condition.

oh hey, it's that guy from Ghost. maybe you should check out some gospel music to raise the Šρ¡ℜ¡ʇ
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So...when my daughter was like 3, I purchased Rockabye Baby: TOOL to give to her from the Easter Bunny. That was like 7 years ago and tonight she was asking me to help her find the CD so she could listen to music without lyrics to go to sleep (instead of putting her clock radio on a timer). I'm amazed at what kids can remember and now I'm wondering what's going to happen when she hears the real TOOL songs for the first time? Something tells me maybe to hold off a few more years, but the lullaby version of this song is awesome. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So...thrash grass (thrash metal + bluegrass) is now a thing.

And it's actually pretty damn awesome.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Their budget for guitar strings has to epic. It is pretty impressive and I bet it would be a hell of a live show.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Skinypupy wrote:So...thrash grass (thrash metal + bluegrass) is now a thing.

And it's actually pretty damn awesome.
Wow, yeah, I like this!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy shit, this new surprise EP from Nine Inch Nails titled "Not the Actual Events" is absolutely fantastic. Listened to it 4 times already this morning.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote:Holy shit, this new surprise EP from Nine Inch Nails titled "Not the Actual Events" is absolutely fantastic. Listened to it 4 times already this morning.
Uh, yeah.
Collaborating with now “official bandmate” Atticus Ross, Reznor stated that Not The Actual Events is an “an unfriendly, fairly impenetrable record that we needed to make”.
What... the hell was he talking about? This is the best and possibly catchiest thing he's released since The Fragile.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

Had no idea these guys had a new one. Synthpop/EBM at its finest. At first listen, standouts are If I Give You My Soul and Cold Reading.

Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Highly Suspect is this evenings pleasure.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Someone here must have posted about these guys before, but I have just stumbled upon them for the first time:

Youtube audio here: Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats: "Mind Control" (2013)

Enlarge Image
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Slaughterhouse and State Property currently in rotation.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i got the new Boris and Merzbow collaboration, but i didn't know you were supposed to listen to the discs at the same time...
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Song link: "The Fool" by Dead Soul.

Melodic hard rock/blues/metal hybrid with a great vocalist.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Really enjoying Dead Soul, thanks for mentioning them!

Enlarge Image

Die Krupps: V - Metal Machine Music (2015)

Best Song (so far): Kaltes Herz.

This is some classic-sounding industrial metal that would have been at home in the early 90s. In fact, I was just re-listening to Front Line Assembly's Millenium and I can't help thinking how well tracks like Battle Extreme would fit in there. Especially Fly Martyrs Fly, samples and all. Of course, Die Krupps have been around just as long, since the 80s.... But with this album they really re-integrate their metal sound with their more danceable, EBM one. (Contrast with the also excellent and amazingly catchy Robo Sapien from their previous album.) My only wish is they were a little more subtle with their lyrics and themes, especially on their English tracks. But it is German industrial metal, after all....

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yesterday was the North Texas Irish Festival, so it's the Celtic Pandora station. The High Kings were in attendance, and they feature in the feed.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And now I'm listening to Front Line Assembly's Millenium. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Today more mellow stuff so its been REM - Whats the Frequency Kenneth?

All this week has been heavy stuff like 5 Finger Death Punch, Ozzy, KISS, Metallica, and so on.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tgb

Post by tgb »

We've been talking about another Hawaiian cruise before I retire, and ever since last night I've had this stuck in my head.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Daehawk wrote:Today more mellow stuff so its been REM - Whats the Frequency Kenneth?
I think that's my favourite song of theirs. That band was the epitome of the popular alternative genre....
Skinypupy wrote:And now I'm listening to Front Line Assembly's Millenium. :)
That album had the best samples. I think I sought out and watched Falling Down because of its samples on Vigilante. And I remember watching The Abyss and recognizing the actors laughing as the loop from the beginning of Victim of a Criminal. But my favourite off that disc was always Liquid Separation.

I think it might be one of the best examples of late industrial metal before things went weird and ultra mainstream in the mid-90s. It's the perfect marriage of the sounds of Ministry and Skinny Puppy plus a melodic thread all their own (not that there isn't a lot of legitimate overlap with these bands and their members creatively--one of my favourite tracks of all time is Ministry playing SP's Smothered Hope with Ogre on vocals).

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy Nym wrote:I think it might be one of the best examples of late industrial metal before things went weird and ultra mainstream in the mid-90s. It's the perfect marriage of the sounds of Ministry and Skinny Puppy plus a melodic thread all their own (not that there isn't a lot of legitimate overlap with these bands and their members creatively--one of my favourite tracks of all time is Ministry playing SP's Smothered Hope with Ogre on vocals).
I've always been preferential to Implode as the best FLA album. It's not quite as abrasive or have nearly the "metal" influence as some of the others, but the songscapes Leeb and Fulber create on that album are absolutely mind-blowing.

Synthetic Forms is right up alongside Killing Game and Tormentor as my favorite industrial track ever recorded.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

You know what I actually have to admit I never really got into FLA on the whole. I bought several of their albums in the late 90s/early 2000s during my industrial phase, but I don't think any really clicked with me outside of Millenium. It wasn't that I needed metal in my industrial... but I guess I never found them that accessible. Not that SP was, either... but their catchier tunes provided a gateway.

I think that's my first time hearing Synthetic Forms. I'll have to listen to it some more--that orchestral loop really tugs at the heartstrings and inspires the imagination. And once the main beat kicks in after 5:00 it really throbs. But this is obviously FLA in their more pondering, soundscape mode.

Back then, I remember I also had Caustic Grip, Tactical Neural Implant, Hardwired, Epitaph, and a couple of their compilation/remix discs. Though I can't recall a track I liked by name.... However now that I've listened to a few I recall Overkill kicks ass! And in fact I recognize occasionally hearing it in the webbing of my mind over the past decade without realizing what it was nor having spun that disc for years.

Now I know what I'm going to be giving another listen to for the rest of the week....

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Man, this has me going down memory lane. Just listened to The Tear Garden's In Search of My Rose for the first time in what must be 15 years. What a track. I feel like I should go watch The Crow on VHS and mope over my unrequited crush in a dark corner somewhere.