What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never liked her. Rubs me wrong or something. I mean she's a doll and has playing talent but I just cant stand the dancing and playing part. She isn't even playing while doing those moves in any of her videos. I find it all silly.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That was hilarious. Did her violin just shoot a stun ray? Why was the electric guitar making violin sounds? So many questions. :lol:

I've been blasting the last Strigoi album this morning, all while wondering why they didn't just keep calling it Vallenfyre. It's a mystery.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

The Orb - Abolition of the Royal Familia

The Orb - Abolition in Dub
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wilderun just posted a live play through of one of my favorite songs off one of my favorite albums. This is just stunning.

Akerfeldt can move over...Evan Berry has taken over his spot as the best clean/harsh combo vocalist in metal.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've been in a bit of a music funk recently. It's not that I can't find anything to listen to, but that nothing new is really connecting with me. When I wasn't working from home, that would usually mean switching to podcasts during the commute for a while.

Funker Vogt's new album Element 115 is good, there are a lot of catchy tracks. It's just not fresh, and I find myself preferring last year's EP. The concept and lyrics seem juvenile and about 25 years past their expiry date, but I probably expect too much. The point is to have a dark dance party and have fun.

A.I.

I thought Hammer Horde were pretty generic when I first heard them, but I'm glad I kept listening because they're actually really good U.S.-based melodic death of the viking variety. I was listening to Riders of Annihilation and wasn't sure it wasn't a Kalmah song.

Triumph of Sword and Shield - Really takes off once the ocarina comes out in the second half.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Did somebody say "music" and "funk" in the same sentence?

Well all right, here you go...just a bunch of Funk Warriors tripping balls in Central Park in 1973!

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'll take it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

You can tell it's an official video because they spell his name wrong.

Conform or be cast out!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Let's pretend it's the early 2000s and the world was full of promise. Only it wasn't, was it? Yet it somehow still seemed more promising than this.

The Unicorns - Sea Ghost

Islands - Where There's a Will, There's a Whalebone

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I'm probably really late to this, but Phoebe Bridgers' "Punisher" is great.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Just some epic battle metal out of Austria, but a really nice track.

Heathen Foray - Armored Bards

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lately I'm all about King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The new Baest album "Necro Sapiens" is some excellent old-school death metal with riffs for days.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Hammer Horde - Archaic Offerings - Riff beginning at 01:20 just slays.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I often listen to music from 1970 or earlier. That would be like someone in 1961 rocking out to the hits of 1910.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:22 am Hammer Horde - Archaic Offerings - Riff beginning at 01:20 just slays.
You ain't kidding, that's fantastic.

Jamming the new Youth Code this morning. Sara Taylor is seriously angry.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the Ministry 'box' - compiles (most of the) 12" versions and b-sides from the Sire/Warner years (through 1992, anyways)

(and i've always felt the extended mixes are, without exception, superior to the album edits)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:13 pm Image

the Ministry 'box' - compiles (most of the) 12" versions and b-sides from the Sire/Warner years (through 1992, anyways)

(and i've always felt the extended mixes are, without exception, superior to the album edits)
"Ova the shoooowda" is jammed once a week here 'cause my wife is a giant Ministry head still. But only the British accent stuff, not the rocking stuff.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I love that version of Smothered Hope so much.

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:30 pm "Ova the shoooowda" is jammed once a week here 'cause my wife is a giant Ministry head still. But only the British accent stuff, not the rocking stuff.
Twitch is probably the only Ministry album I enjoy listening to all the way through. I never get tired of We Believe. So weird to compare it to the stuff that came later.

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:53 am I often listen to music from 1970 or earlier. That would be like someone in 1961 rocking out to the hits of 1910.
I've been having these thoughts a lot lately... they're terrifying and mind blowing. I know some of this is just normal "getting older" stuff, and I'm only just heading into it in my mid-30s. But rock and modern popular music was still a "new thing" when I was born... as in, it didn't exist when half the world's population was growing up. The 50s and the following decades saw an explosion of new styles and genres. I don't think you see that anymore... not at the same pace. I began my discovery of music outside of what I was raised with probably around 1997. I'd listen to metal and industrial records from the 80s and it seemed like ancient history... sounds had evolved so much since then, and styles had faded from popularity. Once I began listening to music from the 60s and 70s it was even more disconnecting.

I probably listened to ...And Justice for All all they way through for the first time in 2000. That was a 12-year-old album at the time, but it felt a generation away. However, now I'll revisit an albums from 2009, and holy shit! I remember listening to this stuff for the first time in MP3 like it was yesterday. And generally, depending on genre, I can't tell it wasn't recorded yesterday either. A lot of the music I listen to is a refinement of older genres if not outright retro worship rather than breaking new ground. Yet outside of obvious trends, digital production means that era often isn't as firmly stamped on a recording anymore, beyond what's faked or reproduced. Mode of listening has become static for many of us as well. I went from cassette to CD to MP3s as I grew up. (Too young for vinyl originally, and now too cheap/not wanting the clutter during its revival.) But now I know my portable player is likely to be my phone for the rest of my life, or at least until we're implanting electronics in our bodies.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sudy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:49 pm I love that version of Smothered Hope so much.

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:30 pm "Ova the shoooowda" is jammed once a week here 'cause my wife is a giant Ministry head still. But only the British accent stuff, not the rocking stuff.
Twitch is probably the only Ministry album I enjoy listening to all the way through. I never get tired of We Believe. So weird to compare it to the stuff that came later.

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:53 am I often listen to music from 1970 or earlier. That would be like someone in 1961 rocking out to the hits of 1910.
I've been having these thoughts a lot lately... they're terrifying and mind blowing. I know some of this is just normal "getting older" stuff, and I'm only just heading into it in my mid-30s. But rock and modern popular music was still a "new thing" when I was born... as in, it didn't exist when half the world's population was growing up. The 50s and the following decades saw an explosion of new styles and genres. I don't think you see that anymore... not at the same pace. I began my discovery of music outside of what I was raised with probably around 1997. I'd listen to metal and industrial records from the 80s and it seemed like ancient history... sounds had evolved so much since then, and styles had faded from popularity. Once I began listening to music from the 60s and 70s it was even more disconnecting.

I probably listened to ...And Justice for All all they way through for the first time in 2000. That was a 12-year-old album at the time, but it felt a generation away. However, now I'll revisit an albums from 2009, and holy shit! I remember listening to this stuff for the first time in MP3 like it was yesterday. And generally, depending on genre, I can't tell it wasn't recorded yesterday either. A lot of the music I listen to is a refinement of older genres if not outright retro worship rather than breaking new ground. Yet outside of obvious trends, digital production means that era often isn't as firmly stamped on a recording anymore, beyond what's faked or reproduced. Mode of listening has become static for many of us as well. I went from cassette to CD to MP3s as I grew up. (Too young for vinyl originally, and now too cheap/not wanting the clutter during its revival.) But now I know my portable player is likely to be my phone for the rest of my life, or at least until we're implanting electronics in our bodies.
A couple factors I think of:

1) They literally don't make music the way they used to. At least popular music, which is all formulated and synthesized. This is why I appreciate those who still play raw guitar, bass and drums.

2) The insane availability to listen to almost all music from past eras. I remember when the only way to hear something was to actually buy the album or find it on the radio. I also remember when FM was a big deal, since they didn't just play top 40 tunes. Now you can do a search for any group or genre and discover a treasure trove.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

U2 - Boy
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Guns N Roses is my all-time favorite "guilty pleasure" band. I could listen to them for days. Been cranking the "Use Your Illusion" albums the last couple days. A couple clunkers aside (I could do without ever hearing "Get in the Ring" ever again), they're so good.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I haven't been able to get this out of my head since I first heard it.

Ye Banished Privateers - You and Me and the Devil Makes Three

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't know why anyone would think GnR should be a guilty pleasure. They're no Snakes 'n' Barrels, but they were pretty great. That said, I've long maintained that Use Your Illusion would have made a solid/great single album, but had too much bloat as a double album to be listenable.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:45 am I don't know why anyone would think GnR should be a guilty pleasure.
It's probably just the musical circles that I run in, but GnR tends to fall into the "cheesy 80's glam metal" category. While I do think they're miles ahead of their peers in that department, there is still lots of that stigma attached.

They're generally far outside the usual extreme metal that I listen to, hence why I'd put them as a guilty pleasure. I suspect I'm very much the minority there, so YMMV.
That said, I've long maintained that Use Your Illusion would have made a solid/great single album, but had too much bloat as a double album to be listenable.
Interestingly, I've never been a fan of the big commercial hits that came out of the "Use Your Illusion" albums (Don't Cry, November Rain, Live and Let Die, You Could Be Mine, Yesterdays). Those all fall squarely in the "cheese" category for me, and I usually tend to skip over them. What most people would consider the "filler" or "bloat" songs are the ones that are actually my favorites. Locomotive, Bad Apples, The Garden, Coma, Breakdown, Dead Horse, Garden of Eden, etc.

But yeah, there are a number of real clunkers mixed in as well.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

never liked them, but Duff McKagen is a local music legend in Seattle, here. they even have him as one of the pre-recorded 'welcome to SeaTac International'-type greetings at the airport
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sepultura's "Arise" was one of my first forays into serious metal (i.e. something other than Metallica or Megadeth). It was released 30 years ago today. :shock:

Still sounds just as amazing as it did back then.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found two new to me Sheryl Crow songs I like.

This one has a familiar sound to it but cant place it. Also Maren Morris usually sings this with them.

This one has a sea shanty vibe to it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:09 pm I remember when the only way to hear something was to actually buy the album or find it on the radio. I also remember when FM was a big deal, since they didn't just play top 40 tunes. Now you can do a search for any group or genre and discover a treasure trove.
Oddly enough I'm having a hard time finding my latest interest. I was introduced to trot music. Basically Korean pop music before k-pop. Some of it is slow ballads which bore me but a lot of the newer stuff has an energy that I like even if I can't understand the words.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Conform or be cast out!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New Dinosaur Jr. coming in a few more weeks!

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:46 am Image
That guy's brutal.

On the news that a new album might actually be released in August (I'll believe it when I hear it), I've been grooving on some old Necrophagist today.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

A little Mexican folk thrash.

Cemican - Guerreros de Cemican