What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Sudy »

Shit... where's this song been all my life?

Warren Zevon - My Shit's Fucked Up

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mortis, where's your review of Gogol Bordello's new album, Seekers and Finders?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I listened to it, and I keep expecting to hear him sing about hitting me in the head with a hammer.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Prophets of Rage, a supergroup:
Prophets of Rage is an American rap rock supergroup. Formed in 2016, the group consists of three members of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave (bassist and backing vocalist Tim Commerford, guitarist Tom Morello, and drummer Brad Wilk), two members of Public Enemy (DJ Lord and rapper Chuck D), and rapper B-Real of Cypress Hill.
The new album is available on Amazon Prime Music.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Foo Fighters, "Concrete and Gold"
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The new Myrkur album, "Mareridt". Her voice - both the cleans and the banshee howls - is absolutely amazing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:The new Myrkur album, "Mareridt". Her voice - both the cleans and the banshee howls - is absolutely amazing.
I can only listen to this in certain situations, such as lying in bed.

But her voice is mesmerizing.... incredible talent.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Isgrimnur wrote:Prophets of Rage, a supergroup:
Prophets of Rage is an American rap rock supergroup. Formed in 2016, the group consists of three members of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave (bassist and backing vocalist Tim Commerford, guitarist Tom Morello, and drummer Brad Wilk), two members of Public Enemy (DJ Lord and rapper Chuck D), and rapper B-Real of Cypress Hill.
The new album is available on Amazon Prime Music.
I was a huge Rage fan and to a lesser degree Public Enemy and Cypress Hill.

I'm kind of torn with this super group. It's got the Rage Tom Morello funky guitar and the one of a kind Chuck D/B-Real rap vocals.

But only a couple songs really connect with me. I really like UnF*ck the World. You can just hear Rage, Public Enemy, and Cypress Hill all over that song.

But most of the others seem like they are trying too hard to recapture each of their bands sound and message, instead of having their own identity.

I'll listen to this as it's mainly nostalgic and I'd definitely go see them live. But as a whole, I find this album mediocre.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Green Day - 21 Guns
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote:The new Myrkur album, "Mareridt". Her voice - both the cleans and the banshee howls - is absolutely amazing.
Mareridt wasn't available to me, but I did listen to the eponymous debut and M. Not bad overall, but the screamies definitely put it in a category where I have to be in the right mindset to enjoy it.

Listened to The Stories We Tell from Nothing More a couple times yesterday, and giving it another listen this morning.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Toots and the Maytals.

Forgot how good Bam Bam is. For shame.

:oops:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Mareridt wasn't available to me, but I did listen to the eponymous debut and M. Not bad overall, but the screamies definitely put it in a category where I have to be in the right mindset to enjoy it.
Listen to "Mausoleum". It's the songs from "M", but recorded live in an actual mausoleum in Norway. All acoustic instruments and none of the screams. It's stunningly beautiful, with my favorite being this one.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Avett Brothers' latest album, True Sadness, after watching the documentary on them last night, produced by Judd Apatow. (barefoot, hippy-dancing Rick Rubin in the house!)

Highly recommend the doc if you like their music even a little bit.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Listen to "Mausoleum". It's the songs from "M", but recorded live in an actual mausoleum in Norway. All acoustic instruments and none of the screams. It's stunningly beautiful, with my favorite being this one.
You heard of either of these band Skinypupy?

Dyscarnate or Archspire?

If you haven't, go listen and thank me later.

Dyscarnate is death metal done right. Good riffs and brutal vocals.

Archspire is technical death metal.... which I normally don't care for. But the vocals are awesome and the drummer is amazing.

Two of my favorites this year. Really good stuff.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I listened to the new Dyscarnate over the weekend. Didn't immediately grab me, but it was interesting enough to warrant a couple more listens.

Haven't heard the new Archspire yet, but it's definitely on my list.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Over the last few weeks I've been putting in some serious time with the newest Afghan Whigs album, In Spades. I really don't know how it's possible (mainly because of the lineup changes since the 1990s), but they have this greasy sound that I don't think I've been able to find in other bands. It's not just the vocals, it's the music as well. It's not a long album, but it's tight. Anyway, I think Demon in Profile was the lead (only?) single released and if you enjoyed them back in the day, they're still releasing good music. I still need to see them perform live. Here's hoping...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Gladys Knight - Midnight Train to Georgia.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I had never heard of the band Lör before last week.

This power/folk/atmospheric/melodeath record might be my Album of the Year for 2017. Seriously, just go listen to this song...you won't be disappointed.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:45 am Mortis, where's your review of Gogol Bordello's new album, Seekers and Finders?
I'm a sad, sad man. I haven't bought their last two albums and haven't seen them on tour for a few years. I'm falling off the music appreciation map. The last album I bought and sat down and listened to was Frightened Rabbits Pedestrian Verse. Apparently that was 2013. :o Sad.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you have Amazon Prime, the album is available for streaming.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Axel Rudi Pell (German guitarist with band of the same name).
Great band with a great vocalist (Johnny Gioeli) who I'd never heard of.

"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image

This is the first new KMFDM that's drawn me in at first listen since... 2000's MDFMK? Of course I haven't seriously tried to get into any of their recordings since 2002's Attak, probably? I'd like to say they were my guilty pleasure in high school, but the truth is at that age I took them seriously. I do go back to their 90s material occasionally, and while it's catchy as hell it's mostly pretty juvenile. But it's fun.

I was listening to XTORT on my way to work this morning when the cover art of their release caught my eye on Spotify. (Isn't it great? It's just a few years out of date considering these days the front-facing camera does a better job of appealing to our vanity. :P) I was surprised to hear some house-sounding synths (forgive me if that's the wrong genre; I'm not too into electronica), just a hint of dubstep, as well as some light reggae basslines that took me right back to 1989's UAIOE. But then I had my socks blown off by Total State Machine, an industrial metal stomper straight out of the mid-90s. (Best bookended by the low tempo Oppression 1/2 and 2/2!) The Lucia Cifarelli-sung Murder My Heart might be the true gem, though. There's even a freshly re-imagined Rip the System v. 2.0 that's extremely worthy, though I doubt it could ever top the Duck & Cover Mix off UAIOE.

Yeah, the lyrics are mostly on the nose... but every now and again they're clever, and almost always catchy. And would it really be KMFDM if they dropped a ton of nuance on us? I still haven't finished the album, and some of it is still feels like Konietzko's predominantly lacklustre post-Günter Schulz/En Esch/Tim Skold work (which I probably haven't given a fair listen to), but the good stuff here is good. (Also, holy crap! Konietzko is 56 and KMFDM is 33 years old.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this one was a good change of direction - it does sound more like the late 80s/(very) early 90s albums in some parts. i dunno if you've listened to any of the Slick Idiot albums (En Esch and Raymond Watts project).

and Tim Skold is a cheesy putz, imho.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Hmm maybe he is, I don't earnestly know much about him or his contributions. I just looked at his discography with the band and remember still having fond memories of Symbol and Adios, and MDFMK. Symbol was actually the album that got me into them. But En Esch and Schulz were still around for those too. Though what really happened in the early 2000s is that I grew up.

I don't think I've listened to any Slick Idiot or PIG since around that time, either. (The latter's Wrecked was a big favourite of mine during that era.) Until a few years ago I'd written off a lot of the music of my youth as being not worth my time, but I've learned to be less judgmental.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Continuing the journey of seeing what the bands of my youth are up to recently....

Enlarge Image

Profane and perverse as ever, this release makes me think Raymond Watts is one of the few artists from this era whose material has actually improved with age. It's entirely evocative of his albums from the 90s, but feels more mature and nuanced (musically) without having lost its edge. Lyrically it's still not deep, but it's just as cinematic, crunchy, and brooding as Watts ever has been.

The Diamond Sinners - The deliciously plodding, moody opening. Expectedly depressing enough in tone that I'd have trouble listening to it over and over again if the hooks weren't so damn deep.
Toleration or Truth - When did Raymond Watts start sounding like David Bowie? Or did he always, and I just didn't recognize it as a kid? Hints of it all over this album, but especially in this song. There's an extremely appealing cadence to this track that reminds me of TV on the Radio's Return to Cookie Mountain. (Which, guess what? Had a track featuring Bowie.)
Drugzilla - 2nd catchiest song on the album. (Note: Link is not the album version; it's a different mix, but also great.)
Missing the Mainline - A far more accessible and brighter sounding song than I expected to find on a PIG album. It's fantastic, and a welcome contrast.
Viva Evil - The catchiest one. This reminds me of Mechanical Animals-era Manson (Toleration or Truth's chorus did, also), which itself owed a debt to Bowie. There's also a hell of a drop which I really don't mind at all. Though there's no point trying to take the lyrics at face value or you'll crack yourself up.
Make Yourself Deny - The perfect mid-tempo closing to the album. Again, during the verses all I can hear is Bowie. As if that's a bad thing. Like Missing the Mainline, one review I read said this song was alternative rock which might disappoint fans of Watts's earlier work as PIG. Well, I'm not disappointed. (Couldn't find this one on Youtube, so here's I'm So Wrong instead, which is about as good.)

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Knock it off Sudy, my current budget can't afford any more of your reviews. ;)

Definitely disagree with you on KMFDM though. Their brand of industrial cock-rock does absolutely nothing for me. Never has. Had tickets to see them a couple weeks ago (Ohgr was opening), and I really tried to go in with an open mind. How bad could they be, right? We walked out less than 4 songs in because they're such a ridiculous cheese-fest.

I've been spinning the new album from Hallatar, "No Stars Upon the Bridge". They're a doom metal "supergroup", with Juha Raivio (Swallow the Sun), Gas Lipstick (ex-HIM), and Tomi Joutsen (singer from Amorphis). The album was written after Raivio's immensely talented girlfriend, Aleah Starbridge, died of cancer last year (check out her Trees of Eternity album...it's really good). The whole thing is absolutely crushing. If you ever find that you need a cure from happiness, this is a good album to listen to.

This video is silly, but check out Mirrors.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:05 pmDefinitely disagree with you on KMFDM though. Their brand of industrial cock-rock does absolutely nothing for me. Never has. Had tickets to see them a couple weeks ago (Ohgr was opening), and I really tried to go in with an open mind. How bad could they be, right? We walked out less than 4 songs in because they're such a ridiculous cheese-fest.
I find it hard to be objective when it comes to KMFDM because they're one of the bands I latched onto in my youth. Even then I'm pretty sure I can remember thinking to myself, "Well these guys are just ridiculous." But it was high school, and Metallica was no longer cool enough. I knew I really liked the industrial sound. (It's like metal dance music!) I think it was Rammstein's Du Hast that put me on that path. The cool outsider kids were in love with Manson and Reznor. But I wanted something to call my own. No one I knew liked KMFDM. They either dismissed them or had never heard of them. I bought every KMFDM release and related project I could find in used CD and thrift shops. I didn't like half of them at first, but they were mine.

There's the ludicrously self-important side to KMFDM (Anarchy, speaking of Tim Skold), but there's also the playful tongue-in-cheek one (Light, Inane) where they're probably at their best. If you're a lyrics listener, it's easy to be put off by them I think. When I was young I pretty much ignored lyrics in general. The punchy metal songs that were my favourites then (Brute, speaking of Raymond Watts) have been replaced by the mellower, more electronic ones that I didn't appreciate at the time (Sex on the Flag). And then there's UAIOE which is just something else altogether (something awesome). Out was Raymond Watts for this early release, and in was reggae vocalist Morgan Adjei to share vocal duties for this industrial dub record. Since I've revisited the band, it's become my favourite album. (Ganja Rock, Thrash Up!, UAIOE)

I can't comment on how they seem live, especially in their "old age". I've never seen them... I never really got into live music, and I regret it. I was too self-conscious when I had disposable income, and most of my friends didn't appreciate my tastes. But I'm pretty sure I'd be embarrassed to be at a KMFDM show at any age.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Walk the Earth released a new album last month, "What If Nothing", and it's on Prime Music under New Releases, so I'm listening to that.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (Cover) - The Dead Morticians

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Rolling in the Deep.
I just discovered the song this year. It was quite a treat.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

ok, I have a confession.

there are two artists I've followed and enjoyed immensely since the late 70's when I was a kid. I have also had a major crush on them both.

#1 is Stevie Nicks. love love love Fleetwood Mac. still play a lot of their music to this day. I like the early years of Nick's solo career as well. however, her music has become too poppy for my tastes. she was my first crush.

however, I'm not here because I'm listening to Nick's. I'm instead listening to my other crush and guilty pleasure.

Bjork!!!

Bjork has fascinated me for nearly 30 years, beginning with the Sugarcubes.

Her voice is incredibly mesmerizing to me. Add her unique style and sensual overtones, and I'm hooked. I also find her to be amazingly talented.

I've never been fond of the European type women, but I've had a major crush on Bjork for several decades.

Her new album Utopia, is the typical Bjork and I love it!!! Classical, haunting, odd....

However, her voice continues to be amazing.

there you have it, my guilty pleasure!

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Xmann wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:21 am ok, I have a confession.

there are two artists I've followed and enjoyed immensely since the late 70's when I was a kid. I have also had a major crush on them both.

#1 is Stevie Nicks. love love love Fleetwood Mac. still play a lot of their music to this day. I like the early years of Nick's solo career as well. however, her music has become too poppy for my tastes. she was my first crush.

however, I'm not here because I'm listening to Nick's. I'm instead listening to my other crush and guilty pleasure.

Bjork!!!

Bjork has fascinated me for nearly 30 years, beginning with the Sugarcubes.

Her voice is incredibly mesmerizing to me. Add her unique style and sensual overtones, and I'm hooked. I also find her to be amazingly talented.

I've never been fond of the European type women, but I've had a major crush on Bjork for several decades.

Her new album Utopia, is the typical Bjork and I love it!!! Classical, haunting, odd....

However, her voice continues to be amazing.

there you have it, my guilty pleasure!

Edit: Actually I’m listening to Bjork’s new album, Utopia, thanks to your post and it sounds beautiful!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Xmann wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:21 am Bjork!!!
Available on streaming from Amazon Music for all Prime members, currently listed under New Releases.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

The Cure. Disintegration. The Same Deep Water as You.

Perfectly matches the weather and my mood right now.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Incantation's Profane Nexus is probably my favorite straight-up death metal album this year. I love "Rites of the Locust"

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It's happened again. I've discovered an artist for the first time that's instantly rocketed into my favourites: Alestorm. "Pirate metal". Just what it sounds like. The broader genre underpinnings would be folk & power metal.

Silliest video but catchiest song that got me into them:

Title track from their debut album. I think it's my favourite overall and probably best defines them, but as a longer, more traditionally structured metal song not as instantly accessible. Spins a great tale.... The bit after the bridge blows me away every time, from around 04:55 to 05:30, leading back into the chorus.

More "seriously" pirate themed, which is kind of a silly notion in itself but still delightful. I can't believe the video is presumably from when that album released in 2009... it looks like an independent European music video from 1992. Whether that effect was intentional or not, it's awesome.

How did I ever live without this?

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Sudy wrote:It's happened again. I've discovered an artist for the first time that's instantly rocketed into my favourites: Alestorm. "Pirate metal". Just what it sounds like. The broader genre underpinnings would be folk & power metal.

Silliest video but catchiest song that got me into them:

Title track from their debut album. I think it's my favourite overall and probably best defines them, but as a longer, more traditionally structured metal song not as instantly accessible. Spins a great tale.... The bit after the bridge blows me away every time, from around 04:55 to 05:30, leading back into the chorus.

More "seriously" pirate themed, which is kind of a silly notion in itself but still delightful. I can't believe the video is presumably from when that album released in 2009... it looks like an independent European music video from 1992. Whether that effect was intentional or not, it's awesome.

How did I ever live without this?

listen to the song Mexico off their new album and thank me later

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Been there. Love the chiptune intro. Didn't want to link to 15 songs. :wink:

Xmann

Post by Xmann »

yo ho Mexico, Tequila and a donkey show.... Mexico, Mexico

gf.me/u/zhnmhs