Out of the Box: NC GG/CG Get-Together Impressions

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Tareeq

Out of the Box: NC GG/CG Get-Together Impressions

Post by Tareeq »

So tonight I had the rare pleasure of meeting Flycatcher, the Wiggum-Caveman brothers, and their radiant girlfriends. Regrettably Emissary apparently could not make it, nor could Austin f/k/a Gerber, nor Yellowking and others from farther afield in North Carolina. Nonetheless, I had a fine time.

Alcohol was consumed, but no one was put in the butt. Impressions follow:

Lift test: Passed. There's a considerable degree of weight here, not physically but in terms of intellectual substance. Doctorates and doctorates-to-be abounded, but credentials aside Flycatcher and the brothers are every bit as intelligent and informed in person as their internet personas led me to hope they would be. Despite the absence of google they more than held their own in topics ranging from children's ability to recognize faces, to genetic manipulation and its potential benefits, to gossip about members of this forum.

Captain Caveman was/is one of the funniest people on gonegold. He's just as funny and quick on the draw in person. Quite an achievement.

Graphics: 95/100 Did you know that Ralph-Wiggum doesn't resemble a cartoon character at all? It's true. He looks just like Edward Norton.

Sound: 85/100 I probably talked too much, but actually learned some useful crap tonight, which is rarely the case when I hang out with lawyers. Flycatcher if you don't mind explaining your research to an idiot layman in further depth we should meet for lunch some time. I'd like to hear more about it,

Gameplay: 97/100 It was very comfortable. Unlike most meetings with strangers there weren't awkward silences, we had something in common to talk about, and it felt right. I'm guilty of stereotyping gamers myself, though I am one. The only nerd at the table was me.

Final rating: Pure gold.

There was discussion about doing this again some time soon, perhaps in November before it gets cold, and on a weekend. I'd volunteer my house, which is easily accessible from I85 in Durham, if others would like to come. If any of the North Carolina contingent are interested post dates you might be available.

Thanks guys. I had a good time.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Where are the pics? Better yet, where is the smiley "No Pics? STFU!".

Glad you all had a good time. Guess I shoudl really try to make it to the next DC/Baltimore OO/GG/BS get-together.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Sadly, there are no pics from this get-together. I think Ed Norton scared off the paparazzi.

All in all, I had a grand old time at my first ever real life GG/CG/BS/OO get-together. Contrary to what he posted, Tareeq (aka, not Mr. Fed but possibly Redman) is not a nerd, but a fascinating guy with all sorts of crazy ass stories to tell. Want to hear about two hippies burning down a house trying to cook fried chicken? Tareeq's your man. Want to know what John Edwards is like in court? Tareeq can tell you. Want to know what it's like to get in a fist fight with the infamously snotty songwriter Ryan Adams? He's got you covered there too.

The guy is flat-out interesting.

It's a shame we couldn't stay longer, but a bunch of us had to run to get to a poker game (Ralph won with my GF taking second). Nevertheless, I'm eagerly anticipating our next get-together, tentatively scheduled for November at the Tareeq estate.

All you NC GGers should make an effort to come!
Enough

Post by Enough »

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Enough wrote:Image
Hey, at least those people *SHOW UP* for get-togethers. :P

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Enough

Post by Enough »

You know it's weird but that is one of my grave regrets about the darkening of ye ole GG. I've missed any chance to be a part of an historic GG CO get together with you fine people. Sigh...

Seriously you all had me convinced last time to actually come--so it's bound to happen anytime now. 8)
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Yeah, as soon as I hit [submit] (where's that other dude's wife anyway?) it hit me that we only missed out last time due to miscommunication. Talk about major regrets here. :(

We'll hook up. MHS and I are jonesin' for a housewarming party before the weather gets too crappy. We've already got Head, Jessan, Enough, Eduardo X, Kratz, ChrisGrenard, TheMix (allegedly -- haven't seen him sign up yet) over here. That's plenty of peeps to represent to make my "real-world" friends feel creepy.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
MHS

Post by MHS »

The Meal wrote:Yeah, as soon as I hit [submit] (where's that other dude's wife anyway?) it hit me that we only missed out last time due to miscommunication. Talk about major regrets here. :(

We'll hook up. MHS and I are jonesin' for a housewarming party before the weather gets too crappy. We've already got Head, Jessan, Enough, Eduardo X, Kratz, ChrisGrenard, TheMix (allegedly -- haven't seen him sign up yet) over here. That's plenty of peeps to represent to make my "real-world" friends feel creepy.

~Neal
TheMix is signed up here, and has posted. And feel free to yell when you're ready for bed.
Captain Caveman

You guys want pics? Okay, here you go!

Me, after winning a cow chip throwing contest:

My lovely girlfriend, Amy:

My brother Ralph-Wiggum (aka Ed Norton), his girlfriend Beth, and Toby Maguire (center):

And last but not least, flycatcher (on a good day):
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Oh nos!11!! I am on teh internets!!1!!1! My greatest fear has been realized! It's now only a matter of time until I see my head on the body of some naked guy. :oops:
Captain Caveman

And here is a picture of Tareeq:

Austin

Post by Austin »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Oh nos!11!! I am on teh internets!!1!!1! My greatest fear has been realized! It's now only a matter of time until I see my head on the body of some naked guy. :oops:
You never know do you?
Your ad here.
Mookee

Post by Mookee »

"disproportionately hot girlfriend's"

:)
flycatcher

Post by flycatcher »

So who thinks Ralph actually looks like Ed Norton?

Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Actually, he looks just like my brother... + 10 or so years.

Definitly not Ed Norton, though people do look different in person.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I do so look just like that red x!
Captain Caveman

It was unfair of me to post a picture of flycatcher days after the chlamydia spread to his brain.
flycatcher

Post by flycatcher »

"disproportionately hot girlfriend's"

So true![/quote]
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

North Carolina? And you're worried about the cold?! Taking away your man-card, and will swap climates for the winter.

"waves" from cold-ass Michigan. :D