Children's toys & twist ties

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

mrzubblewump

Children's toys & twist ties

Post by mrzubblewump »

I'm sure anyone that has a young child knows about the dreaded twist ties. We were up until 2:00am wrapping presents for our two children. We were up until 5:00pm on Christmas unpakaging toys due to these elaborate twist ties. Yeah I know I could just cut the things off but that somehow takes all the fun out of it. These things are long pieces of plastic that are twisted/knotted about the toy under the cardboard which is taped in about 10 different places. I've noticed that every toy made in China features these things.

Are the Chinese experimenting with some new kind of torture? Who/what device is wrapping these things around the toys? It took me about 30 minutes to untie one toy and I can't imagine how long it took for the ties to be put on in the first place.
Reality is the part of imagination that we can all agree upon.
Love Leigh Leigh

Re: Children's toys & twist ties

Post by Love Leigh Leigh »

mrzubblewump wrote:I can't imagine how long it took for the ties to be put on in the first place.
I often wonder the same thing. Sometimes, I see the twist ties as a challange, but I usually just keep the scissors handy. Some of my kids' toys have lived a full life and gone on to the Salvation Army bin with the occasional package tie still intact! Barbies seem to be the worse for this. They actually SEW their hair to a little plastic strip! I often wonder how can any of this be cost effective for the company. The job of the toy packager in China must be the American equivalent of a telemarker. I know I wouldn't want that job for all the tea in,well, China!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

It's always been my dream to take the person who came up with this idea, and tie them down to a railroad track with the twist ties and see if they can get out before the train comes along.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The thing we worry with twist ties is around our dogs. Never know when one might get choked on one. We have to be very aware of a twist tie threat.

I find it kinda ironic that a toy approved as a non choking hazzard could still kill a child with it's packaging.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
rhinohelix

Post by rhinohelix »

The guy who invented the twist tie? That would be the devil. Sad thing about it is, they aren't like "keep the bread fresh" ties. They are like "Make sure the warhead stays on the missle" strong, which makes me want to save them and come up with a se7en-like death for the human that channeled Satan's creativity in the invention of them. The good news is I could pinch the heads off screws with my newfound mutant hand strength.

Rhino
Stars swelled to dawns, and dawns burst into fountains of gold, carmine, and purple, and still the dreamer fell.
moonce10

Post by moonce10 »

mrzubblewump wrote:I'm sure anyone that has a young child knows about the dreaded twist ties. We were up until 2:00am wrapping presents for our two children. We were up until 5:00pm on Christmas unpakaging toys due to these elaborate twist ties. Yeah I know I could just cut the things off but that somehow takes all the fun out of it. These things are long pieces of plastic that are twisted/knotted about the toy under the cardboard which is taped in about 10 different places. I've noticed that every toy made in China features these things.

Are the Chinese experimenting with some new kind of torture? Who/what device is wrapping these things around the toys? It took me about 30 minutes to untie one toy and I can't imagine how long it took for the ties to be put on in the first place.
hello
May I know, who invented spam?
Last edited by ImLawBoy on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgb

Post by tgb »

moonce10 wrote: May I know, who invented the twist tie?
Inquiring 'bots want to know.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

tgb wrote:
Looks like multiple people!
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 441AA4AKwC

This guy invented the machine that puts twist ties on bags...
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/22 ... d-20130523
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Twist ties were the same for decades, and they were worth saving for other uses. Once China got involved they figured that they could cheapen up twist ties to the point that they're now hardly reusable.
two months
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

tgb wrote:
it's the Lazarus Bot, resurrecting dead threads...
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Did he ever return, no he never returned, and his fate is still unlearned.........
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
KDH

Post by KDH »

this guy inspired you to learn something about the world .. if ever on a game show, and you win the big bucks because of a twist-tie question

well, you're gonna feel kinda silly :whistle:
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He was probably a twist tie agent from China learning about how their torture is working out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Bread wrappers of the world hate him.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949