[NFL] Possible HoF inductees

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: [NFL] Possible HoF inductees

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 pm Eli isn't a lock, but he has a strong case.
#7 all time passing TDs
#7 all time passing yards
2 Super Bowl MVP trophies

Those stats are pretty compelling. However, while he was playing we never thought of him as elite. In any given season there are three or maybe four QBs that I consider elite (like Brady, Brees, Rogers) and Manning was never one of them. It would be hard for me to vote on anyone when I never considered them in the elite category for their position. I don't think I could get over that.
Yeah, no matter how much hate Lorini sends his way, I'm pretty sure he's getting in. The only question is whether the sin of milking it for another season (or 3 or 4 in his case) with sub-par efforts will dissuade some from not voting him first ballot. I thought that about Ryne Sandberg, though, and he had no issues, so I think Eli will be just fine.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm Wiki

What makes Eli's Super Bowl performances an anomaly, and count for more in my opinion, is in that chart. Look at who is at the top of that list. Eli won his two MVPs in the same games that guy was playing in. He won two Super Bowls and two MVPs and he did it the hardest way possible, that impresses the hell out of me.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

noxiousdog wrote:The only two reasons Eli is even in the Hall of Fame consideration is he played in New York and his last name is Manning.

If Eli is in, Joe Flacco should be in and there's nobody lining up to put Flacco in.
I think the wins over the patriots, especially the then 18-0 team carries a ton of weight as well.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:Wiki

Then I guess:
  • Malcolm Smith
  • Von Miller
  • Drew Brees
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Joe Flacco
  • Nick Foles
  • Julian Edelman
need to make sure they have their careers planned out to stick with winners.
Montana won 4. 81, 84, 88, 89.

Edit, or I guess that may be MVP 's
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:01 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm Wiki

What makes Eli's Super Bowl performances an anomaly, and count for more in my opinion, is in that chart. Look at who is at the top of that list. Eli won his two MVPs in the same games that guy was playing in. He won two Super Bowls and two MVPs and he did it the hardest way possible, that impresses the hell out of me.
The scores were 21 - 17 and 17-14. Nick Foles hung 41 on the Patriots.

What does that mean the "hardest way possible"? If he's a hall of famer, it should look easy.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Bear in mind that lacking an outstanding performance by another player, the QB generally takes the SB MVP by default because they have to give it to someone. And besides, in those game, he wasn't competing against Brady, he was competing against the Pats D (and vice-versa). I checked the box scores for those games, in one Brady had slightly more yards but Manning had one more TD. Almost reversed in the other. Combined, nearly identical.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:05 amThe scores were 21 - 17 and 17-14. Nick Foles hung 41 on the Patriots.

What does that mean the "hardest way possible"? If he's a hall of famer, it should look easy.
The scores are irrelevant because what is important is that when the Giants offense got the ball at the end of those games they were losing. Eli had the task of leading them to victory or failing and they lose. It doesn't matter if you're coming back from 14-10 or 34-30, you're still coming back from 4 points down.

It's a hard task for a quarterback to win a Super Bowl. In the Super Bowl era think of all the great ones who didn't win one, and I mean the ones who actually played in one. To win two Super Bowls is harder. To win MVPs too is harder. To do all that against the Tom Brady led Patriots in both games is the hardest unlockable achievement the game has.

edit: mentioning Brady is important because to win, Eli still has to outplay Brady. If Brady leads them to 14 then the opposing QB needs to lead his team to more than that. It's not easy, ask the Atlanta QB. Foles did great...once. If he does it again then maybe he's worth a mention.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Hate on Eli (I do sometimes), but the idea that winning two Super Bowls and SB MVPs were not that great an accomplishment is ridiculous. Do you remember how good the undefeated Patriots were? They were going to crush the Giants. Eli leads them in a comeback and still gets no credit for that? Seriously?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

McNutt wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 pm Hate on Eli (I do sometimes), but the idea that winning two Super Bowls and SB MVPs were not that great an accomplishment is ridiculous. Do you remember how good the undefeated Patriots were? They were going to crush the Giants. Eli leads them in a comeback and still gets no credit for that? Seriously?
Sure he gets credit. But the defense is what kept the Patriots 20 points under their scoring average. Eli shouldn't be going to the Hall because he had a great defense and Tyree made one of the best catches in NFL history.

I have qualms about Bradshaw in the Hall, but at least he had an all-pro season, two seasons with the most TD passes, and 4 Super Bowl wins.

Hell, Eli isn't even as good as Troy Aikmann.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You're not giving him any credit. It's all Tyree and defense.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

McNutt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:41 pm You're not giving him any credit. It's all Tyree and defense.
No. I'm saying he didn't carry the team to a win. He played ok in both games. Ok isn't HoF worthy when it's your only achievement.
Black Lives Matter

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Eli will get in because he played in New Yawk, and because Manning. Since Brady is still playing, Eli gets in before him.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:26 pm
McNutt wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 pm Eli isn't a lock, but he has a strong case.
#7 all time passing TDs
#7 all time passing yards
2 Super Bowl MVP trophies

Those stats are pretty compelling. However, while he was playing we never thought of him as elite. In any given season there are three or maybe four QBs that I consider elite (like Brady, Brees, Rogers) and Manning was never one of them. It would be hard for me to vote on anyone when I never considered them in the elite category for their position. I don't think I could get over that.
Yeah, no matter how much hate Lorini sends his way, I'm pretty sure he's getting in. The only question is whether the sin of milking it for another season (or 3 or 4 in his case) with sub-par efforts will dissuade some from not voting him first ballot. I thought that about Ryne Sandberg, though, and he had no issues, so I think Eli will be just fine.
The yards and TDs are the result of era. Of the top 10 in yards, 8 are contemporaries and only two are from a previous era (Marino and Elway). Eli will be passed by Roth-burger next year and Ryan in a few years. Rodgers and Stafford and possibly Flacco will pass him before their careers are over (barring significant injury). Same goes for TD (with the exception of Flacco and swap out Tarkenton for Elway).

Not saying he is or isn't worthy but he's only going to look worse over time.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Flacco?? Isn't Denver going with the hot new QB?
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:27 pm Flacco?? Isn't Denver going with the hot new QB?
I did say "possibly" for him. It's a statistical possibility. Throw him out and Eli is still probably out of the top ten by the time he's eligible.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT