CG & Brutesquad...Pain in the Ass

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Discalced

CG & Brutesquad...Pain in the Ass

Post by Discalced »

This sucks having to visit two sites now. It would be nice for everyone to settle into one. It's like the Jewish Dispersion.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I think it's inevitable whenever a site goes belly-up, especially when we don't have any time to prepare.

I respect what CG is doing, but GG was a PC Gaming site. I'm quite happy to hang out here and give the mods some time to cook up a new site.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Exodor wrote:I think it's inevitable whenever a site goes belly-up, especially when we don't have any time to prepare.

I respect what CG is doing, but GG was a PC Gaming site. I'm quite happy to hang out here and give the mods some time to cook up a new site.
agreed. I joined GG for the PC content not the console content.

Roman
Discalced

Post by Discalced »

I joined for the EBG and R&P. Mostly because of Rich's 'Roll Call', which is what initially grabbed my attention. I guess I just like the community of GG, and dislike having to try and piece it together from two different sites.

But, I agree, wait and see what the mods throw together.
wire

Post by wire »

I have both bookmarked but find myself not checking CG very often and checking this on more often.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I've seen comments all over the place echoing this and I completely understand where they're coming from. I've seen comments from people who're upset about the former GG moderators wanting to do a PC Gaming site (which sort of floored me, but hey opinions are like bellybuttons, right?) ostensibly because it'd fracture the community (???).

I really think there are some people with a bone to pick for whatever reason, and are using this "splinter group" as justification for continuing to pick that bone. But I'm going to separate that and only address the frustration of the GG community bouncing back in multiple locations.

Yeah, it's tough to know that some of your friends are going to college across the state from where you're going to go to school. You can swing by every now and then and see what their dorm rooms look like, but it's certainly not the same as going to High School with them every day was.

But the colleges are different places for different people. They're run differently and offer up separate majors. Policies are different. We've got Hash Bash and a Winter Carnival and they don't even have a Division I football team. But different options for different tastes. You like Straight-haired Blondes and I love Redheads who go both ways. Neither of us is right (but I have more fun!).

There are some significant differences between the multiple options. One of the differentiators that some folks would *like* to see would be "place X has the Gone Gold community, while place Y doesn't -- that'd make my decision easy." Unfortunately that's not how the differentiators play out. There's a thread in the metaforum (with a very appropriate title) from Hrothgar where a few of us have talked about these differentiators. I don't think I could express my opinion any better here than I already did there.

I'm fond of saying that Options are Never Bad, although clearly if you're looking to choose between Place-with-Gonegolders vs. Place-without-Gonegolders, then you're stuck. Fortunately you do have the option of doing both, although that's nobody's dream position (unless they're unemployed, I suppose).

Best of luck, and sorry to make things more difficult for folks. Hopefully in the end we're all better off for having options to suit our needs. Even without this site cropping up, there was no way that the GoneGold community was ever going to reform and be what it was somewhere else.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

I'm a two-timer.... I'm hitting both forums on a regular basis :D
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The Meal wrote:
But the colleges are different places for different people. They're run differently and offer up separate majors. Policies are different. We've got Hash Bash and a Winter Carnival and they don't even have a Division I football team.
Your words are very wise Meal, until you lost me at "Hash Bash". What the hell is this? Am I gonna be getting some wacky tabbacky in my mailbox? Is this a celebration of corned beef hash where some bikini clad co-eds are wrestling in a pit filled with it? Hell, I'll pay money for this site if that's the case!!! 8)
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Me, I just post in both forums, though I do it more here. Me posting at all is fairly uncommon as I tend to lurk, though I visited the GG forums mutiple times a day every day. I play both console and PC games, so I don't feel any problems with posting in either forum. Also, even if I hated console games, I would have no problem in posting on CG, because it wasn't about PC gaming or console gaming to me; it was about the community.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I'll admit that I'm going two ways for now myself. :)
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I too am bi.Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bob

Post by Bob »

I hung at CG before this, so no big deal to keep up over there.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Do you eat oysters?

When I have them, master.

Do you eat snails?

No, master.

Do you consider the eating of oysters to be moral and the eating of snails to be immoral?

No, master.

Of course not. It is all a matter of taste, isn't it?

Yes, master.

And taste is not the same as appetite, and therefore not a question of morals.

It could be argued so, master.

My robe, Antoninus. My taste includes both snails and oysters.
CSL

Post by CSL »

I wanted PC Games first and also the R&P which is great to read.

Plus GG r0xx0rZ CG
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's a pain in the ass for me too, but I'm trying to cut way back on my CG participation and visit this site exclusively. I don't like piggy-backing on another established forum, and this one seems like a virgin forum rather than getting someone's sloppy seconds.

The fact that this site has a true R&P forum seals the deal. I gots to have my political discussions, yo.
Kadoth Nodens

Post by Kadoth Nodens »

siljanus wrote:Do you eat oysters?
:D

Hope things work out better for you than they did Tony Curtis.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: It's a pain in the ass for me too, but I'm trying to cut way back on my CG participation and visit this site exclusively. I don't like piggy-backing on another established forum, and this one seems like a virgin forum rather than getting someone's sloppy seconds.
This played a factor in my decision, too.

CG has an established community, which I respect and admire. But it's not MY community, and I'm not sure I'd ever feel comfortable there. The mods there were welcoming, but they have a different philosohpy when it comes to their forums. That's great, and I would never presume to tell them how to run their own site. But it means I need to look elsewhere for my internet home.

Imagine if QT3 had died and all the regulars from there washed up at GG. Do you think they'd feel comfortable as we discussed Octopus Overlords and Elisha? I doubt it.

Here we have the opportunity to watch as the mods create a brand-new home. My hope is that we can grow a community with all the positive aspects of the GG community, including some of the regulars from GG - but it's not going to be GG, just as CG isn't GG.

GG is dead. Trying to recreate GG is a futile exercise.

But here at BS/OO/WTFever, we can help create exactly the sort of site we all want.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

I'm posting at both... No biggie. It's sorta like having one big board.. except in two separate browser windows. :)
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

Was there ever really a coherent GG community? Certainly not a monolithic one. No one could interact with every other poster, and your posting social circles would shift with each new game obsession or with the subforum you happened to be in at the time. I was a member since 2000, I've done everything from participate in a CoC game led by Joel Mathis and bcr19734 to see Rob eat a sponge, but there are reams of seminal GG activity I wasn't a part of, a great many posters I didn't know or who don't know me. Heck, some of the mods still seem like newbies to me, and yet most people would probably say "Who the hell is this khomotso guy?"

I guess I just don't buy the idea of a "fracture," or at least if I did, that I would have to remind myself that my GG experience has always been "fractured" in this way.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

The CG forums were far too totalitarian for my tastes.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

A monk came to Pai-chang and asked, "What is the most wonderful thing in the world?" The master replied, "I sit on top of this mountain." Impressed by his words, the monk folded his hands in homage. Of course, Pai-chang struck the monk with his stick.

- Zen saying
Devil

Post by Devil »

I went to both GG and CG so why not here and CG.

Plenty of Devil-Love to go around!

Devil-Love. That's good. :roll:
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

It's easy for me, since I never got around to registering an account at CG. By the time I knew what was going on, and gave it a couple days to see if the rumours of permanence were true, this place was already set up. And Meal's "spiritual successor" post on the GGNL forums plugging this place made the decision for me.

Had I had to make the decision, though, I would still have preferred this kind of setup - like someone else said, piggybacking on another established forum both feels like an imposition (especially when we'd be talking about several thousand potential piggybackers) and has an associated discomfort factor, since that community is not just ours transplanted, but has something additional already established that we're unfamiliar with.

Plus, of course, my draw to GG was always exclusively PC gaming, so I really have no reason to go to CG.

- Ash
snoleopard

Post by snoleopard »

I agree with what Exodor said, but he said it much better than I could. I feel more at home here already.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'll stay bi until either I end up at one site or the other or until i get fired for now spending TWICE the amount of time online.
Raug

Post by Raug »

I, too, felt that CG just didn't seem right. For one, the original community surely must have felt overwhelmed by so many newcomers. It felt like being invited to a friend's party and inviting 50 other people your friend doesn't even know. I realize that the CG'ers might not have actually felt that way (or not all of them at least), but that's the way it felt to me. I also did not care for the more totalitarian (to steal Dirt's phrase) style of modding there. I much prefer the more hands off approach of the mods on this board.

Best case scenario would have been having a few days warning before GG went down so that everyone could have migrated to one other site all at once. That didn't happen, so we'll just have to make the best of what we have. I, for one, will be spending most of my time here and will check CG once in a while as I did with Qt3 when GG still lived.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

The Meal wrote:
But the colleges are different places for different people. They're run differently and offer up separate majors. Policies are different. We've got Hash Bash and a Winter Carnival and they don't even have a Division I football team. But different options for different tastes. You like Straight-haired Blondes and I love Redheads who go both ways. Neither of us is right (but I have more fun!).

~Neal
Man you are so quoted!
warning

Post by warning »

Dirt wrote:The CG forums were far too totalitarian for my tastes.
In what way? By not allowing R&P discussion initially?

Other than that, the only modding that even comes to mind is when they canned bplotkin rather quickly.
JayG

Post by JayG »

It feels a bit treacherous for me as a PC gamer to use a site called 'Console Gold' as my main forum. And the loss of the R & P forums was a factor for me, as though I have no interest, it was the lifeblood of a lot of fellow Gone Golders I respect ( From both parties, believe it or not).
I'm still very sad at the loss of GG, as it was a great resource center, and there was a amazing wealth of information there. It was the only gaming forum where I felt I was dealing with adults. I can only hope that we can have the same atmosphere here. I'll still be lurking at Console Gold like I did when we had GG, except now I'll be posting once in a while. But hopefully this can become a new home.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm registered at both now but I've only posted here. For whatever that's worth.

But then I ate half a jar of sauerkraut last night too.
Snow

Post by Snow »

I'm doing my primary lurking over here.

As others have stated, I came to GG originally for PC games. I just don't see much of a future for new blood with similar interests at a console-centric site. Then again, there's no content here yet, but at least the promise is PC centric :)

Also, reluctant support of R+P discussion and all of that hate against R+P by numerous refugees over there serves as a big turn-off.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I don't have TIME to check two forums. Besides, I echo the feeling that it's just not the same at CG. I feel so much better here, seriously. It just feels right, like sliding my hand into a jar of mayonnaise.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jag wrote:I'll stay bi until either I end up at one site or the other or until i get fired for now spending TWICE the amount of time online.
Think of it this way - you could then read both forums at home in your udnerwear. It's a win/win! :)
Knightshade Dragon

Post by Knightshade Dragon »

Plus, of course, my draw to GG was always exclusively PC gaming, so I really have no reason to go to CG.
Really? So the 600mb of screenshots and PC stuff we posted today...not important to you. Gotcha... ;)
Interloper

Post by Interloper »

Actually, I like having both forums. More threads to participate in, more updates, etc.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

What's important to me is being able to discuss openly the important matters (and unimportant) matters in our lives, society and world. That's anything from Religion, Politics, Sex/Relationships (though I did mock Gone Gold (RIP) often about it's frequent relationship threads) to the whatever someone had for lunch, what they're listening to at work and what games they're playing. CG doesn't have that and it isn't because it's a bad site, it just has a much more streamlined focus. It is a forum for games. This place, the 'spiritual successor' of Gone Gold (RIP) is more like a Marketplace for people to gather and have discussions that effect everyone's lives, not just gamers'. That's why I like this place and why I won't be registering at Console Gold.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

CG's off my radar now. While I appreciate how the staff treated us like family, being there just didn't feel quite right. I felt like the orphaned child who was dropped off at the distant-relatives house unexpectedly.
Papageno

Post by Papageno »

Interloper sez:
Actually, I like having both forums. More threads to participate in, more updates, etc.
And, since a lot of the same people (late of GG) are members on both boards, what's the problem?
wire

Post by wire »

Dirt wrote:The CG forums were far too totalitarian for my tastes.
I don't see them as being totalitarian...if banning Bplotkin and a few other undesirables then I don't know what is good.

As someone mentioned over in the CG forum...the people who complained the most about the EBG/R&P forum fiasco months ago were for the most part the ones complaining the most about CG not making a seperate R&P forum for them...go figure.

I would have assumed they should have been upset that this forum automatically seperated them out...crickets?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As someone mentioned over in the CG forum...the people who complained the most about the EBG/R&P forum fiasco months ago were for the most part the ones complaining the most about CG not making a seperate R&P forum for them...go figure.

I would have assumed they should have been upset that this forum automatically seperated them out...crickets?
The main gripe about the R&P split was not the fact that there was an R&P forum created. It was with the implementation.

Many people felt that the sudden forum split basically lumped problem posters and non-problem posters in the same category, then shunted them off to the side (out of sight, out of mind). This was exacerbated by the downright HOSTILE treatment many R&P regulars got from the community at large when they protested the split for the reasons above. There was also some underlying ill will towards some members and Bill (hey I rhymed) that only added to the misery.

I stayed away from R&P for quite awhile, then returned and found it was the same hellhole I figured it would be. However, the problems started to ease up with some tougher moderation and some efforts by the community at large to change our tune a bit. It wasn't perfect, but by the time GG died, I enjoyed the R&P forum quite a bit. Knowing what I know now, I think an R&P forum is a necessity just to prevent the same fiasco from happening again.