Amazon Prime -- Anyone use it?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Amazon Prime -- Anyone use it?

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:46 pm I've got all of B5 on DVD, but it's amazing how much of a hassle it seems to swap disks now. Streaming has made me lazy.
+1
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
MindToyGames

Post by MindToyGames »

And hey, Kung Fu (the series) is on there now! Remember that one? Good lord, haven't seen that in years!
Derek - Wayward Indie Game Designer/Doer of Many Things/CEO, SimProse Studios
My Steam Developer Clubhouse: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/simprose
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

MindToyGames wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:32 am And hey, Kung Fu (the series) is on there now! Remember that one? Good lord, haven't seen that in years!
Funny, got that on DVD quite some time ago. Still haven't seen that in years either! :wink:
-mf
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Blackhawk wrote:I've got all of B5 on DVD, but it's amazing how much of a hassle it seems to swap disks now. Streaming has made me lazy.
I finally had enough and ripped everything I owned on DVD and blu-ray so that I could stream them to myself.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im that way with games. I was just looking for Star Trek 25th Anniversary game and hoping I had it on digital. Nope. So Im not even going to bother on disk because if I did not only would I need to dig out my game but Id have to find a working 3.5" drive someplace and install that too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Free Twitch games
This month, five games are on offer, including excellent story-driven turn-based strategy game The Banner Saga and its even better sequel.

If you pay for Twitch Prime—which is included as part of Amazon Prime membership—you'll also get solid roguelike FPS Strafe, action puzzler Tumblestone and Early Access vehicle combat game Treadnauts, which looks like the kind of game you'd play when you have friends over.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:46 pm
Blackhawk wrote:I've got all of B5 on DVD, but it's amazing how much of a hassle it seems to swap disks now. Streaming has made me lazy.
I finally had enough and ripped everything I owned on DVD and blu-ray so that I could stream them to myself.
That also seemed like a hassle, so I just repurchase them all on Amazon as I want to watch them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:05 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:46 pm
That also seemed like a hassle, so I just repurchase them all on Amazon as I want to watch them.
Last time I put a BRD in, it took 5 minutes to get past all bullshit to the main feature. Kiddo lost interest so we went outside. Win!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It appears that "Coming to Amazon Prime" and "Coming to Amazon Prime in Canada" are not even close to synonymous. :cry:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Max Peck wrote:It appears that "Coming to Amazon Prime" and "Coming to Amazon Prime in Canada" are not even close to synonymous. :cry:
Nope. Which show in particular?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:34 pm
Max Peck wrote:It appears that "Coming to Amazon Prime" and "Coming to Amazon Prime in Canada" are not even close to synonymous. :cry:
Nope. Which show in particular?
Babylon 5.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Prime at Whole Foods took my Whole-Foods-typical bill from $50 to $27. Plus an additional $10 credit on Amazon.com.

Which is nice since it's the closest grocery at about 3 blocks away. It may move from "emergency convenience/indulgence only" to "strategic shopping."

It's also kind of frightening. I could live quite well entirely on the Amazon ecosystem for months, with the exception of an ISP.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 am Prime at Whole Foods took my Whole-Foods-typical bill from $50 to $27. Plus an additional $10 credit on Amazon.com.

Which is nice since it's the closest grocery at about 3 blocks away. It may move from "emergency convenience/indulgence only" to "strategic shopping."

It's also kind of frightening. I could live quite well entirely on the Amazon ecosystem for months, with the exception of an ISP.
Wait you aren't using Amazon Giganet?!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:15 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:06 am Prime at Whole Foods took my Whole-Foods-typical bill from $50 to $27. Plus an additional $10 credit on Amazon.com.

Wait you aren't using Amazon Giganet?!
What's that?

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A thing I made up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I went to Whole Foods a week or so ago and save about $1.50 on probably $100 of stuff using my Prime discount (and the only thing the discount applied on was an impulse purchase of some mangoes for the kids). I think for it to be generally effective, I'd need to plan the shopping trip around discounted items instead of just going in and hoping for the best. Unfortunately, our Whole Foods use is maybe once every 4-6 weeks to pick up some specialty items that they don't carry elsewhere, so the odds that our needs match up with what is on sale are pretty slim.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Read The Store by James Patterson.

The nearest Whole Foods to me is a 30 minute drive according to Google Maps. There are 3 Jewels, 2 Walmarts, a Super Target and a Meijer all under 15 minutes away.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After having it for many years I finally dropped it because of the price increase. $120 a year is too much for what I buy now a days.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

114 miles to my nearest Whole Foods!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:59 pm 114 miles to my nearest Whole Foods!
But only 102.6 miles if you subscribe to Amazon Prime!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: I could live quite well entirely on the Amazon ecosystem for months, with the exception of an ISP.
Give it time...
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

According to my map, there are TWO Whole Foods within 1 mile of me. And it sounds about right. Unfortunately, neither has much parking. But then, I have plenty of markets around me... I live in Chinatown. :D

If I want things really really bad, I'll just go Prime Now or Prime Pantry. ;)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jack Ryan is now streaming. It is 8 episodes and has already been greenlit for a Season 2. I liked it even though there were some holes and parts were tough to watch.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 am Jack Ryan is now streaming. It is 8 episodes and has already been greenlit for a Season 2. I liked it even though there were some holes and parts were tough to watch.
I almost watched an episode tonight but my wife fell asleep on the couch and has to wake at 10 pm to go to work. I let my son watch YouTube videos on our bedroom TV while I sit on the front porch drinking wine and posting non-sensicle things.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've watched 1.5 episodes and it doesn't suck. So far it's by-the-numbers, but I'm enjoying it. What I find so surprising is that I really like Krasinski in this show. There was just something about him that never clicked with me before and I wasn't really a fan. Maybe it's because I'm jealous that he's married to Emily Blunt. However I started warming up to him after A Quiet Place and he's much better than I was expecting as Jack Ryan.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is there a glitch with Prime Shipping today? Everything I click on says it will be delivered on Monday, Sept 24.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:30 pm Is there a glitch with Prime Shipping today? Everything I click on says it will be delivered on Monday, Sept 24.
Are you in South Carolina? I hear they might have had some issues in that region of the country with the roads.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:36 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:30 pm Is there a glitch with Prime Shipping today? Everything I click on says it will be delivered on Monday, Sept 24.
Are you in South Carolina? I hear they might have had some issues in that region of the country with the roads.
I'm returning the same date, and I'm in Virginia. Both items I put in my cart show Free 2-day delivery for Monday, September 24.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:36 pm
I thought of that, but I know where the SC distribution center is and it shouldn't have been affected (just a couple inches of rain). And I'm only 30 miles away in the direction of even less rain and next to an airport that wasn't affected at all. I guess it could be out of an abundance of caution.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm getting Sept 20 when I put stuff in my cart. It may be point of origin warehouse instead of/in addition to your shipping location.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The battle for the hottest prices this holiday season is spilling into a new arena: the fight over free shipping.

As Walmart, Target and Amazon launch a price war for merchandise in the weeks before Thanksgiving, they are now wooing customers with the promise of fast, efficient, no-cost shipping. On Monday, Amazon upped the ante by expanding free shipping to all customers through the holidays, with no minimum purchase required. The retail and tech giant is also offering Prime Members free same-day delivery on more than three million items.
To be sure, Target and Walmart are playing ball. Last month, Target announced that from Nov. 1 to Dec. 22, it will offer free two-day shipping with no minimum purchase or membership required. In March, Target said shoppers who spent at least $35 or used a company credit card could get free two-day shipping. In previous holiday seasons, Target offered free standard shipping.

Walmart will continue to offer free two-day shipping in the United States on purchases of $35 or more. It is also expanding its free two-day shipping to third-party marketplace sellers.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Amazon upped the ante by expanding free shipping to all customers through the holidays, with no minimum purchase required.
Looks like I may be getting some small ticket items I was putting off...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Contrast that to an article from last week about the overworked USPS carriers:
"Customers demanding six-day-a-week mail delivery and Amazon demanding seven-day-a-week delivery. I feel like I work for Amazon because the physical toll that the job takes on my body is mostly related to packages, and my lack of time off is mostly due to Amazon because of the Amazon Sundays... I feel like my life depends on Amazon."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Amazon gig job delivery was too inconsistent here so they switched everything back to the Post Office. Then about two months ago they switched all Amazon deliveries to their Amazon blue van service. The service is about the same as USPS with better tracking and a picture of your delivery.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems with the rise of Amazon and online shopping there needs to be a new purpose created delivery company for online shoppers to use. UPS was great but they were not prepared for the online thing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I dropped prime back in August. It's like a drug and I'm still going thru withdrawals.
But I don't buy as many things anymore either.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I can quit Prime anytime I want, I just don't want to right now.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hi, my name is Carpet Pisser. I, too, can quit anytime I want. Also, It’s not the boss of me.

/sits down
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Hi, my name is Carpet Pisser. I, too, can quit anytime I want. Also, It’s not the boss of me.

/sits down
Hi Carpet_pissr!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If I dropped Prime, I'd spend way more than the Prime fees after all the times I had to make to get a *whatever* that isn't available locally. And almost nothing is available locally. All we have here is a Wal-Mart, and the entire store is smaller than most Wal-Marts' clothing departments.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)