GG and a Rat's Ass

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Ripstar

GG and a Rat's Ass

Post by Ripstar »

Well, probably no one gives a rat's ass what I think, so I am gonna tell you anyway.

I was a member of the GG community for 5 years. Attracted to it by Rich's very human Roll Calls. They touched us all, and we could at times see a bit of ourselves in his tales of everyday trials and successes.
That is gone, and I miss it. I'm sure we all do.

The internet is a big place. It was nice to find a community where discussions could be had that didn't always end in a pissing contest.
I met some good people there, a few that were jerks, but most were just regular people, that were interested in each other and eager to help, razz, or just have fun. It was a safe place, like Cheers where everyone knew your name.

So now we all feel displaced and it dosen't feel right that the community is broken or that Rich isn't at the helm any more.

But the community is still here, we are still here. If we have to go to two sites to keep in touch its worth it. Who knows we still may become a community again as long as we keep it together.

Bottom line I think our community, although split, would still pass the "Lift Test".

That's my take, for what its worth.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
wankerjr

Re: GG and a Rat's Ass

Post by wankerjr »

Ripstar wrote:But the community is still here, we are still here. If we have to go to two sites to keep in touch its worth it. Who knows we still may become a community again as long as we keep it together.

Bottom line I think our community, although split, would still pass the "Lift Test".

I agree.

It may take a bit more effort to keep in touch with everyone but it's still feasible. I kinda like to think it's like leaving high school/college type experience. You go out on your own and have to work to keep any relationships you had before due to the increase in distance. In time you make new relationships and may let some old ones fade away but eventually you find your place. GG is like volume 1 of a bestselling series that was awesome to go through and when you were getting close to the end you didn't want it to end. The dispersion of the original community is Volume 2 and it's only in the beginning. Old faces are there but split up. Yeah it's strange to be starting over but in time we'll be the old folks that'll be telling about GG and how this board got started. It's exciting in it's own way and I do want to see how this all works out.

(Sorry about the lousy use of comparing all this to literature. Sounded good in my head but actually reading it, all of it sounds really hokey)
Yet another shameless plug..for something
Rip

Re: GG and a Rat's Ass

Post by Rip »

Ripstar wrote:Well, probably no one gives a rat's ass what I think, so I am gonna tell you anyway.

I was a member of the GG community for 5 years. Attracted to it by Rich's very human Roll Calls. They touched us all, and we could at times see a bit of ourselves in his tales of everyday trials and successes.
That is gone, and I miss it. I'm sure we all do.

The internet is a big place. It was nice to find a community where discussions could be had that didn't always end in a pissing contest.
I met some good people there, a few that were jerks, but most were just regular people, that were interested in each other and eager to help, razz, or just have fun. It was a safe place, like Cheers where everyone knew your name.

So now we all feel displaced and it dosen't feel right that the community is broken or that Rich isn't at the helm any more.

But the community is still here, we are still here. If we have to go to two sites to keep in touch its worth it. Who knows we still may become a community again as long as we keep it together.

That's exactly how I found the community many..many years ago. In a land far far away.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Can't give you a rat's ass but I can give you a cat's ass... :idea:
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Well said, Ripstar. And I enjoyed your comparison Wanker, hoke and all. :D
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I know I've got no control over who posts where. And when a site goes down without warning and with such a large community there's no chance in hell that everyone will wash up on the same shores. But I must say reading both the BrSq and CG forums and seeing many of the same threads (Books Read in 2004, What are you listening to?, Ask Superhiro, etc.) in each, but finding they're not identical because completely different subsets of Gone Gold members are posting in each gives me a headache and makes me feel like:

It's not that pleasant of a feeling and I don't have an answer, but I figured I'd commiserate. Because commiserery loves company, or something like that.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
setaside

Post by setaside »

I hate you. That picture is the 3rd worst picture on the internet.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

setaside, could you please provide the two worst pictures on the internet in this thread?

Thank you. I will not be visiting this thread to check.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Sorry, I felt it perfectly illustrated what a lot of people were feeling flipping back and forth between two nearly identical but not quite POVs.

I promise never to post it again as long as you don't comply with Kratz's request of further pictures. That is: Ix-Nay on the ub-tay irl-gay and oatse-gay ics-pay ;)
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

It's good to know TScott and I agree on what the two worst pictures on the internet are...

Then again, I think this whole site has a pretty much universal understanding of the horror of those images.

- Ash
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

setaside wrote:I hate you. That picture is the 3rd worst picture on the internet.
I concur. Eveyrtime I see that pic it feels like my contacts try to flee my eyes.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!