Deadwood

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Deadwood

Post by hepcat »

He’s returning. Read the full story in the link posted earlier.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was going by the fact that he's not listed in the IMDB cast list...be happy if it's wrong.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hollywood Reporter says it's so.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Re: Deadwooda

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:04 pm Oh boy oh boy oh boy

I'm rewatching DW in anticipation.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I just finished my Deadwood re-watch last night. I had truly forgotten how absolutely great the acting is in this show. I mean, I knew it, but time dulls the memory, and it wasn't until watching again that it all came flooding back. Plus, I know that it has been compared to Shakespeare before, but this time through watching it I saw all of the flourishes and nods to the Bard because I was watching for them.

Plus plus, man, was season 3 a downer. I had forgotten how horrible everything was when the season ended.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hentzau wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:40 pm I just finished my Deadwood re-watch last night. I had truly forgotten how absolutely great the acting is in this show. I mean, I knew it, but time dulls the memory, and it wasn't until watching again that it all came flooding back. Plus, I know that it has been compared to Shakespeare before, but this time through watching it I saw all of the flourishes and nods to the Bard because I was watching for them.

Plus plus, man, was season 3 a downer. I had forgotten how horrible everything was when the season ended.
Just finished the whole series for the first time.
How they are going to bridge the time gap is beyond me.
But I'm there on 5/31 to see.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My TiVo reported to me that the whole season is getting recorded for my first watch. My entire family is appalled that I've never seen it AND I don't know how to play the family card game, Setback.

Other than that they love me.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Enlarge Image

Rolling Stone interview with Timothy Olyphant.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tonight's the night. I got my HBO Now subscription still (kept it from the GoT final season viewing just for Deadwood movie), a six of Anchor Steam, and a pair of freshly laundered chaps all good to go. After that, it's the new Swamp Thing series premiere on DC Universe and Indian food.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Indian food at 10:00 at night? No wonder you can’t sleep.

I’ll be charting a similar course, sans beer and Indian food. And I’ll probably be switching over to Good Omens rather than Swamp Thing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I must have the time for Deadwood mixed up as I thought it was on at 8pm? If so, I'll do Swamp Thing and Indian food first, then Deadwood and chaps.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 am After that, it's the new Swamp Thing series premiere on DC Universe and Indian food.
So. Deadwood at 8. 2 hours. Then Swamp Thing at 10 and Indian food.

Man, this is a long way to go to make fun of your insomnia.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Deadwood movie tonight? Must find way to access HBO!
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Amazon Prime should have free 7 day trial of HBO as part of your Prime account. That's how I did GoT series finale and I'll just keep it active another moth to blast through all the other stuff I can stream.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This is weird. I'm not seeing it listed for tonight in Canada. Did a search on my DVR for it and it's listed as airing on Sunday.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In Canada it's called "Deadwood, eh"
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dehdwood
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Canadian Deadwood:

"Gosh darn Swearengen, that corn shucker!"
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:42 pm Canadian Deadwood:

"Gosh darn Swearengen, that corn shucker!"
:lol: That Mother Shucker!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I've just got 36 hours of eps to watch before I watch the movie. I will bang it out by Tuesday if I call in sick Monday.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Not as well wrapped up as I'd like, but at least they got resolution on a couple of things.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thought they did a damn fine job. I thoroughly enjoyed that from start to finish.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I enjoyed it immensely. I do wish there had been a more definitive conclusion to the boss battle, but overall they made a worthy ending to a great series. McShane’s closing line was pitch perfect for his character’s life.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:45 am Yeah, I enjoyed it immensely. I do wish there had been a more definitive conclusion to the boss battle, but overall they made a worthy ending to a great series. McShane’s closing line was pitch perfect for his character’s life.
I did not get his meaning of that line, thus that was one of the shortcomings for me.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I took it as an acknowledgement that God had played no role in his life, and that he also didn’t belong in Deadwood as he played no role in its history as well.

I saw it as a play on Voltaire’s supposed final words.
When Voltaire was dying, in his eighties, a priest in attendance called upon him to renounce the devil. Voltaire considered his advice, but decided not to follow it. “This is no time,” he said, “to be making new enemies”.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, so just watched this and it was really good. Amazing how they managed to show the passage of time and still be able to jump back into the old plotlines. Quite a fitting end to the series. And it occurred to me just how much Al was in bed over the course of the series. Did we ever find out what was ailing him? It was amazing seeing everyone again.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'd have to say cirrhosis.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

How the hell can they make you feel sad at the passing of a cold blooded murdering bastard like Al? Brilliant work by McShane again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think they overplayed the nice Al a bit too much in the movie, now that I'm thinking on it some more. Sure, he's on his deathbed, but I have a little trouble seeing his character go that far in the opposite direction.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, to be fair, I think that's reflected in the entire town. I don't think it's as unlawful a town as it used to be now that they'd joined South Dakota and they're now a bit older too. There was far less cursing, for instance, and in the 10+ years that have passed since the series, it's as if the entire town has mellowed some. You can kind of see that in the way that Utter remarks (I think it was Utter?) at Trixie's balcony rant at Hearst, that she "still had it". In fact, she went above and beyond with the most cursing in the movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

Took me 13 years, but I've finished the series and the movie. It was a love hate type of series. Acting was well done, but man lots of slugging through. I've tried to watch season 1 a few times and couldn't just get into it, but I think after playing the recent Red Dead Redemption that got me interested in the time period again.

It seems like anyone who had to deal with Al got sucked in to do his bidding. People who were inherently good eventually wandered into grey areas, things they didn't want to do but had to.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Roslyn

Post by Roslyn »

I hate being told what kind of spam it is.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Its a rainy type of morning here.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I always held off on watching Deadwood because of the way the series ended (or didn't).

With the release of the movie I added it to my watch list and last night the wife and I finished the movie after watching Seasons 1-3 over the past month. Really, really enjoyed it except for the theater troupe storyline in Season 3 that went nowhere and took time away from characters I care about. I thought the movie did a great job of tying up some loose ends and providing closure although the end of Season 3 didn't seem as abrupt as I feared.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Exodor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 pm I always held off on watching Deadwood because of the way the series ended (or didn't).

With the release of the movie I added it to my watch list and last night the wife and I finished the movie after watching Seasons 1-3 over the past month. Really, really enjoyed it except for the theater troupe storyline in Season 3 that went nowhere and took time away from characters I care about. I thought the movie did a great job of tying up some loose ends and providing closure although the end of Season 3 didn't seem as abrupt as I feared.
I was really interested in where the theater troupe storyline was going to go. But in hindsight, now that it went pretty much nowhere, I can see where it does slow things down.