Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: tesla motors

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:09 pm
raydude wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:42 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:50 pm Another example: Autowipers. Kill that shit with fire. (Or improve it)
Yeah, you'd think there'd be a slider or something to go from "less sensitive" to "more sensitive".
Not sure how you can make the optical sensor in your windshield's rain sensor work on a sliding scale like that.
Because there is no rain sensor. They're using the main cameras along with machine learning. To this point, it's been emphasis on 'learning,' as it's not yet as good as the single-digit part they're replacing.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:50 pm Another example: Autowipers. Kill that shit with fire. (Or improve it)
Yeah, you'd think there'd be a slider or something to go from "less sensitive" to "more sensitive".
Not sure how you can make the optical sensor in your windshield's rain sensor work on a sliding scale like that.
You don't change how the sensor works, you change how the software uses the information provided by the sensor. I do not know the details of the sensor, but unless it is a binary sensor, it should be possible.

I actually don't have an issue with the auto wipers personally. They kind of sucked early but are much better now, telling me pretty clearly that there *is* something that can be adjusted in the software.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:16 pm
You don't change how the sensor works, you change how the software uses the information provided by the sensor. I do not know the details of the sensor, but unless it is a binary sensor, it should be possible.

I actually don't have an issue with the auto wipers personally. They kind of sucked early but are much better now, telling me pretty clearly that there *is* something that can be adjusted in the software.
They've definitely improved, but I still usually have the fancy version (Autowiper) disabled and leave it to 'dumb' mode.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The screen on my Model 3 is glitching out: changing audio stations, turning on navigation, etc. I know how to reset it, but does not seem to solve it. Should I schedule maintenance?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:31 pm The screen on my Model 3 is glitching out: changing audio stations, turning on navigation, etc. I know how to reset it, but does not seem to solve it. Should I schedule maintenance?
Have you cleaned it lately? I had what I thought was a problem with the screen once, and it turned out my kids had gotten some goop on there that was being read as periodic screen touches. A good cleaning took care of it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:33 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:31 pm The screen on my Model 3 is glitching out: changing audio stations, turning on navigation, etc. I know how to reset it, but does not seem to solve it. Should I schedule maintenance?
Have you cleaned it lately? I had what I thought was a problem with the screen once, and it turned out my kids had gotten some goop on there that was being read as periodic screen touches. A good cleaning took care of it.
I will definitely try that. I am probably due for my first maintenance appointment regardless.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 pm
Because there is no rain sensor. They're using the main cameras along with machine learning. To this point, it's been emphasis on 'learning,' as it's not yet as good as the single-digit part they're replacing.
Oh, well, in that case, Tesla's trying too hard. I'd argue there's no reason to use cameras and machine learning when optical sensors work just fine.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:11 pm
Oh, well, in that case, Tesla's trying too hard. I'd argue there's no reason to use cameras and machine learning when optical sensors work just fine.
Ayup. 'Best part is no part' perhaps taken one part too far. I don't really doubt that eventually this approach will be better, but it's not today.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:13 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:11 pm
Ayup. 'Best part is no part' perhaps taken one part too far. I don't really doubt that eventually this approach will be better, but it's not today.
Yeah, machine learning definitely has its place, but a fleet of Teslas being a live learning environment is less than ideal for current users.
Hodor.
raydude

Post by raydude »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:16 pm

Yes, this is how I was thinking the slider would work. If rain detection is such that it normally turns the wipers on in "intermittent" mode (one wiper cycle every 3 seconds), then putting the slider to "more sensitive" would bump up the wiper settings to "slow, regular" mode (one wiper cycle every second). Going the other way, if rain detection is such that it normally turns the wipers on in "intermittent" mode, then "less sensitive" would bump the wiper settings down to "no wiper".
malchior

Post by malchior »

In demand is out of control in Tesla-land news, the price of the base Model Y AWD (Pearl White/Black interior/19" wheels/no tow) just jumped another $2K to $56,990 and delivery estimated at *AUGUST* 2022 right now.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's not just Tesla. I ordered the Mach E on Aug 4 and the best guess is I'll get it around May. Also your lack of communication rings true...that date really is a guess because Ford isn't telling me or the dealership anything. The internet tells us that 2022 production starts the week of Nov 29. That's all we "know".
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah industry wide they seem to be having production scheduling issues. That doesn't bug me in abstract. I'm glad they are doing well, they have record profits, etc. For me, that means they should have the money to address their communication issues and fix their horrible sales process.

Ford is mature enough that you'd expect some level of realistic communications. I wonder if it is that they are simply stuck at a level of 'we don't know' at the moment. That'd be at least understandable.

I would accept that from Tesla tbh but when I am screaming into the void at them as much as I've tried...it's clearly broken. And it isn't just me. Tons of other people talk about this on the Tesla Motors Club forums. And it varies so wildly but the forums are pure chaos of people just guessing when the tiny bits of information they have change. It is the classic case of the rumor mill overtaking the message in a communications void.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:28 am I wonder if it is that they are simply stuck at a level of 'we don't know' at the moment. That'd be at least understandable.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/busi ... rtage.html

If they can get open they will.
Ford Motor said Monday that its sales of new vehicles in the United States fell about 27 percent in the three months that ended in September from the same period a year earlier. The drop was in line with the rest of the auto industry, which has been hampered by a global shortage of computer chips.

Ford was forced to idle many of its plants for parts of August and September because it did not have enough electronic parts that use computer chips to control components such as engines, transmissions and displays. The disruptions left dealers with few cars and trucks to sell.
27% less than a time when the road were still empty of commuters this time last year, with everyone wanting to not be part of mass transit and ride share; and with people driving used vehicles longer and fixing more and more expensive the pent up demand for new is growing. "We don't know" is about all you can do in an OEM, aside from talk about how rosy things are going to get.

I'm hoping my care makes it another two to three years with low maintenance needs and the cost of a cheap new car isn't through the roof 23/24.

On topic, Tesla has been largely shielded from this. Good for them and their market share, but they are starting to feel the stresses now as well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... sla-growth

A double-whammy of a global shortage of chips and ships is the only thing standing in the way of Tesla Inc. maintaining sales growth in excess of 50%, according to Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk.

“We’ve had a fantastic year, we had record vehicle deliveries,” Musk told Tesla’s annual shareholder meeting in Austin, Texas on Thursday. “It looks like we have a good chance of maintaining that. Basically, if we can get the chips we can do it. Hopefully this chip shortage will alleviate soon but I feel confident of being able to maintain something like at least above 50% for quite a while.”.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hey, remember this little piece of journalistic vomit?
Hrothgar wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:19 pm This crash happened not too far from where I live. Of course, I couldn't afford to live in that neighborhood.
Surprising no one [who actually understands Tesla's Autopilot implementation], that Texas 'driverless' 'AP' crash was neither driverless nor AP. The driver was buckled into the driver's seat, and was actively pressing the accelerator pedal nearly to the floor.

It's somewhat ironic that this particular AP vindication news breaks while I'm 1,700 miles into another road trip, having used AP for 90+ percent of those miles, with zero AP safety disengagements. The tech works, when the driver is using it responsibly.

At least I wasn't off my rocker with my comments at the time.
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:22 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:20 am Forgive me if I take Elon Musk's tweets with a massive grain of salt.
No forgiveness needed--of course we should have the data before jumping to conclusions. My point, as it often it with coverage relating to Tesla, is that 'journalists' should do the same but rarely do. Just taking the article linked above:
Feds investigating fatal Tesla crash where no one was in the driver seat
Headline leads to believe that this was an AP crash, without evidence. As disarm pointed out, the fact that there was no driver in the driver's seat is not an indication that AP was enabled (that's not the Occam's razor implication, at least).
The spokesperson did not respond to a follow-up question about whether that would include a recall of Tesla’s Autopilot feature that was likely involved in the crash.
AP implicated, without evidence.
The duration of the fire, which lasted four hours and required 30,000 gallons of water to extinguish, is said to have made identification difficult.
The fire was out in 2-3 minutes.
Minutes before the crash, the wives of the men were said to overhear them talking about the Autopilot feature of the vehicle
Awesome.
This is also the latest incident to involve a driver using Autopilot crashing into a stationary object.
Highly likely it is not, as anyone with an even passing first-hand familiarity with AP could have told the author.
and Tesla has yet to address it in any meaningful way
Absurd. Hands-on nag has been increased, and further increased at higher speeds; seat belt must be buckled or AP immediately disengages, 3/Y have driver-monitoring cams that code checks indicate will be enabled RSN, and a bunch of other small tweaks I could bore you with. Regardless of what Tesla does, people who determine to use AP in an unsafe way will succeed at using AP in an unsafe way (as they do with cruise control and vehicles in general on a daily-but-much-less-covered way).

Is it possible that this is a case where two responsible adults got into their vehicle, had AP enable itself on their un-lane-marked residential street while the seat belt unbuckled itself, experienced the vehicle spontaneously accelerate to more than double the speed limit in a very short distance, while... somehow... the driver vacated the driver's seat? I mean, sure? Software be software?

Is it likely? Absolutely not. To the point that it strains credulity, and certainly well past the point where any journalist worth their weight in <your choice of largely worthless material> should be embarrassed to have covered this as an AP crash.

AP generally won't enable without lane markings. AP won't ever accelerate quickly. AP won't engage without a seat belt buckled, and will immediately disengage if the buckle is un-done.

We don't have all the answers, but if we're going to go out on limbs, as the article's author did, the correct (ie most likely by a country mile) limb to crawl onto is that the driver was behaving irresponsibly, and was either utilizing plain-old HumanPilot, or was intentionally working to defeat multiple safeguards.

As the resident Tesla superfan, I understand that you're all likely shaking your heads at me right now, but I can't help but get annoyed at this sort of coverage. I've got several tens of thousands of miles of AP usage under my belt, in all sorts of conditions, in multiple vehicles, over the course of several years. I've seen how it acts in virtually every scenario. I've seen how it's improved (and at times taken small steps back) over time. I've taken multi-thousand mile trips on AP only to turn around a day later and take the same trip back in a gas vehicle with plain-Jane cruise control, which drove home just how much AP improves safety when used correctly. I've taken 10,000+ miles of road trips in vehicles with competing driver-assist technology (specifically Volvo's PilotAssist) and seen how much more dangerous their implementations are.

The responsible headline for this incident would have been 'vehicle crashes into tree at high speed; two occupants dead.' It's a regrettable scenario that plays itself out daily in America with little fanfare. If and when it's shown that the car was not behaving normally, or that the drivers criminally mis-used the vehicle, point that out.

This nonsense click-bait conjecture that casts doubt on a great feature is just beyond the pale. Knock Tesla for lots of things, like selling FSD years before FSD was any sort of a concrete thing, or having bad communication with owners, or any number of Musk's inanities over the years. They've got no shortage of valid targets; this ain't one of them.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Woke up this morning to an alert that my car is being updated for the Full Self Driving beta program, version 10.3. I received an email that explains the warnings and they now will attach my VIN to videos and data sent back to Tesla, doesn’t appear to be a way to opt out of that unless you want to leave the beta.

I’ll give it a quick test, should be an interesting morning.
telcta

Post by telcta »

First attempt to leave our condo complex, the car thought the speed limit was 25 so that was a thrill ride past the mailboxes before taking over.

Made it to our Main Street and resumed FSD. In about 500 yards going south I encountered a FedEx truck parked in the opposite direction partly blocking the northbound traffic causing cars to come into my lane. FedEx guy was sprinting across the road delivering a package. Car freaked out and had to take over.

Once things calmed down (for me), went back to FSD on a two lane road with a couple stop signs. Traveled a couple miles with no issues. Actually rolls through the stop signs at 2mph when no one was around.

Also noticed the Safety Score in the app has been removed.

EDIT:

So coming home was not good at all, many false forward collision warnings, autopilot and cruise control unavailable.

I can confirm the rollback removed FSD entirely for me. It looks like I'm still enrolled in the beta program. Well, at least I got to see it in action for about 3 minutes.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Beta programs with potential real life disasters are a non starter for me.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm definitely not raring to get into the beta rn.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is where Elon needs some PR help. That tweet is a *complete train wreck*.
telcta

Post by telcta »

It definitely was not an enjoyable ride. The graphics were snazzy but having the car blare emergency stop warnings at me for no reason, I can wait. Maybe change the collision warning sound to the screaming goat, that may be less jarring.

All those warnings knocked my safety score down pretty far so I’m probably reset into a later group. If anything changes, I’ll post (if anyone is interested in the FSD escapades).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm definitely interested in the FSD escapades, although I think it'll only really get interesting a few more iterations down the line.

For the road-tripping-in-an-EV-curious: I got back last night from a pretty long EV road trip, . Some selected stats and info below.

Overview:

Battery level over time:

Drive stats:

This was in an X loaded up to the brim...
-6 people
-1 canine
-4 suitcases (large carryon size)
-3 backpacks
-2 medium duffel bags
-2 small coolers
-3 reusable-size grocery bags
-misc accessories (travel charge cable kit, air compressor, etc)

...with the bulk of the miles taking place on open highways with 80+ mph prevailing speeds. I think 80% of rated efficiency is pretty good considering both of those conditions.

We had access only to slow L1 charging overnight (12A 120V most nights, 16A 120V for a few nights), and one stop had an L2 unit, so Supercharged more than I'd have liked. Even so, it wasn't too bad--a bit over 6 hours across 9 days and 2,600 miles. We could have trimmed this a bit if we tried to game the system and min/max our stops and stop times. Also, this is pretty much the worst-case scenario for Supercharging time (the least-efficient Tesla vehicle, bursting at the seams).

966 kWh used translates to 28.7 gallons of gas energy equivalent (33.7 kWh/gallon), yielding an equivalent energy efficiency of 91.8 MPG. Not bad for a vehicle carrying 7 lifeforms and all their stuff.

The total cost above is incorrect (I need to update my settings). Actual energy cost was a smidge over $200.

AP was engaged for what I estimate to be about 90% of the total miles, and had zero disengagements for safety. A few times I took control when other vehicles were closer to my lane than I'd like, or a curvy section was approaching that I wanted to handle myself, etc. No phantom braking, forced disengagements, etc. (Which is not at all to say that they don't happen, but rather that again my experiences have shown that they are few and far between.)

We did have several fun chats with random folks at various parks asking us about EVs, as well as one Airbnb host who's going to install a 240V outlet or J1772 for future guests. Also had one encounter with the crazies, going on about various nonsense such as EVs use 3x the energy of gasoline vehicles, they're just a liberal ploy for dollars, etc. Fun times. Thankfully after shouting their piece, they skittered off. Also got to see someone drive away from a gas pump with the pump attached. Drug it nearly back to the highway before someone stopped them.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:16 amAP was engaged for what I estimate to be about 90% of the total miles, and had zero disengagements for safety. A few times I took control when other vehicles were closer to my lane than I'd like, or a curvy section was approaching that I wanted to handle myself, etc. No phantom braking, forced disengagements, etc. (Which is not at all to say that they don't happen, but rather that again my experiences have shown that they are few and far between.)
That's great to hear how often during a long trip you successfully use AP. The phantom breaking was always an issue for me years ago but it's greatly improved. I still experience it every now and then.

It's fun talking to people about EVs. I've encountered all different types of people, thankfully the angry, misinformed ones are rare. One of my favorite interactions were these two sweet older ladies asking me if I needed help because I was fiddling around in the frunk, thinking I had engine problems. When I pulled out a 6 pack of beer, I said I was fine. Their eyes widen and I heard one lady say, "he pulled beer out of his engine" and laughed. It was a blast talking with them.

The other day I was sitting at a traffic light, the sun was at a perfect angle that I couldn't easily look at the light to see it change. The visual on the screen, along with setting a chime when the light turns green saved my eyeballs.

FSD Update:

I see the updated FSD software is downloading to my car this morning, so I'm still eligible. I may wait until later this evening to venture back out, see what the online chatter is.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad you're still in. From what I've seen (which may be missing some things, as I was AWOL for much of the past week), that prior release was not indicative of what people are seeing in general. Bugs, yes. Constant terror, no.

We did have a fun instance on this trip where a park ranger told us it was surreal seeing us pull stuff from the frunk. Pretty sure I pushed one visitor over the edge to buy one EV or another after he heard we were 2,000+ miles into a road trip through the desert. He had thought charging would be a major issue.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Some of these I have no idea what they're talking about... and the one about driving in oncoming lanes sounds adventurous.
FSD Release Notes wrote:Version: 2021.36.5.3
  • Added FSD Profiles that allow drivers to control behaviors like rolling stops, exiting passing lanes, speed-based lane changes, following distance and yellow light headway.
  • Added planning capability to drive along oncoming lanes to maneuver around path blockage.
  • Improved creeping speed by linking speed to visibility network estimation and distance to encroachment point of crossing lanes.
  • Improved crossing object velocity estimation by 20% and yaw estimation by 25% by upreving surround video vehicle network with more data. Also increased system frame rate by +1.7 frames per second.
  • Improved vehicle semantic detections (e.g. brake lights, turn indicators hazards) by adding +25k video clips to the training data set.
  • Improved static obstacle control by upreving the generalized static object network with 6k more video clips (+5.6% precision, +2.5% recall).
  • Allowed more acceleration when merging from on-ramps onto major roads and when lane changing from slow to fast lanes.
I don't recall seeing such detailed descriptions in release notes before, but this is the first time in a beta program for me so maybe this is normal.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

telcta wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:56 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:16 amAP was engaged for what I estimate to be about 90% of the total miles, and had zero disengagements for safety. A few times I took control when other vehicles were closer to my lane than I'd like, or a curvy section was approaching that I wanted to handle myself, etc. No phantom braking, forced disengagements, etc. (Which is not at all to say that they don't happen, but rather that again my experiences have shown that they are few and far between.)
That's great to hear how often during a long trip you successfully use AP. The phantom breaking was always an issue for me years ago but it's greatly improved. I still experience it every now and then.

It's fun talking to people about EVs. I've encountered all different types of people, thankfully the angry, misinformed ones are rare. One of my favorite interactions were these two sweet older ladies asking me if I needed help because I was fiddling around in the frunk, thinking I had engine problems. When I pulled out a 6 pack of beer, I said I was fine. Their eyes widen and I heard one lady say, "he pulled beer out of his engine" and laughed. It was a blast talking with them.

The other day I was sitting at a traffic light, the sun was at a perfect angle that I couldn't easily look at the light to see it change. The visual on the screen, along with setting a chime when the light turns green saved my eyeballs.

FSD Update:

I see the updated FSD software is downloading to my car this morning, so I'm still eligible. I may wait until later this evening to venture back out, see what the online chatter is.
That frunk story is gold. I did not know about the chime for light change, I will definitely set that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

The green light chime is a perfect duration (for me), almost a second when the light changes. It never fails to go off, I had it go off when a turn lane was green and I was in the next lane over going straight, but I think if the car knows which lane you're in, it'll work. When I'm in a turn lane, and it's just a green arrow and the lanes going straight are still red, I'll get the chime to proceed. Also if you start accelerating early, it cancels the chime. I find it very helpful as a reminder.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:16 am Also got to see someone drive away from a gas pump with the pump attached. Drug it nearly back to the highway before someone stopped them.
I've seen this happen myself. I honestly can't wrap my mind around how this could happen.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:55 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:16 am Also got to see someone drive away from a gas pump with the pump attached. Drug it nearly back to the highway before someone stopped them.
I've seen this happen myself. I honestly can't wrap my mind around how this could happen.
Yeah, strange one, for sure. Odd (in my mind) that ICE vehicle makers don't prevent drive when the tank is open similarly to how EV makers do.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:57 pm
Yeah, strange one, for sure. Odd (in my mind) that ICE vehicle makers don't prevent drive when the tank is open similarly to how EV makers do.
Perhaps an electrical connection to the fuel door/cap is considered a risk? There may even be some rules about it. Just an uneducated guess.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:22 pm Side note: Skyforce Reloaded is super friggin-addictive. My daughter and I sat in the car for an hour after getting home...
Kinda off topic but I ended up buying this on Steam so I could play it more. it's a fun game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:09 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:22 pm Side note: Skyforce Reloaded is super friggin-addictive. My daughter and I sat in the car for an hour after getting home...
Kinda off topic but I ended up buying this on Steam so I could play it more. it's a fun game.
I did the same, on Switch. Can neither confirm nor deny having unlocked every single thing.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In a lot of cars, if the gas cap is not properly on, the check engine light is supposed to turn on. Though I would imagine someone who would drive away with the gas pump still in is not likely to be concerned by the check engine light coming on.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:59 pm
In a lot of cars, if the gas cap is not properly on, the check engine light is supposed to turn on. Though I would imagine someone who would drive away with the gas pump still in is not likely to be concerned by the check engine light coming on.
Fortunately that's extremely rare for an EV.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, the fact that it's possible in 2021 is nuts.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Ran a quick 6 mile FSD run last night after 10pm so there was little to no traffic, rainy conditions, leaf strewn streets.

The first thing I noticed when starting FSD is the high beams came on. Never a fan of auto high beams and have the setting disabled, but apparently is active during FSD. I would assume it’s so the car can see better since it’s now just using the cameras (TeslaVision?). It worked fine, turning off with oncoming traffic or behind someone. Still blinds drivers sitting at a cross street waiting for me to pass.

Turning onto a side street where a truck was waiting in a turn lane, my car went way too wide, close enough to the truck to sound a collision warning and me to take over. Don’t know if I would hit the truck but that was too close for me and there was plenty of room on the right to make the turn comfortably.

Coming up to a railroad crossing with a traffic light about 25 feet before the tracks and had no visible stop lines, the car started to slow when the light turned red but then slammed on the brakes too early (from ~ 15mph) to a stop, chirping the tires on the wet pavement. Actually threw me forward enough to lock the seatbelt. Luckily no one was behind me, I would’ve been rear ended for sure.

Turning right at a light from a single lane road that widens to two lanes, one going straight, the other a right turn, the car jumped into the right lane when it noticed the lane lines. Again, someone behind me would already be drifting to the right in anticipation of making that right turn. I wish going into another lane would be smoother.

Finally, pulling into our condo complex road was good… signal on, gentle slowdown and turn off the main road. Our entrance has no divider lines, it’s about 3 cars wide, but the car still took the turn wide which may be fine because nobody was coming towards me. However, once it straightened it then decided the road was 25mph and speed bumps didn’t exist. I took over and drove manually to our unit.

Overall it was an adventurous outing as I expected. I’m not an aggressive driver but there are times where the car is much slower than me, especially approaching and navigating stop signs. I do have the FSD profile set to Average which is the default. The next step up would be Assertive which, according to the notes, will not exit passing lanes.

We’re in the middle of a Nor’easter today so I’ll wait until the weather is better before attempting another run. Maybe see how it transitions from highway to local roads.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sounds like lots of room for improvement yet.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Do androids attack FSD cars that flash their bright beams at them?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:46 pm Do androids attack FSD cars that flash their bright beams at them?
Waymos might.
telcta

Post by telcta »

I have to say, after taking the car out during the day the past couple of times, it’s been performing a lot better. There are times when it’s so silky smooth going through traffic lights, making turns and navigating stop signs. Other times it feels like I’m the ball in a pinball machine.

Have you ever sat in the passenger seat when someone else is driving your car and you feel like they hit every single pothole and manhole cover? Yeah... that's what it's like in autopilot.

Stop signs are interesting. When you’re behind a car, there’s a message that says, “Autopilot Paused - Waiting For Our Turn”. As we approached our turn, cars will turn blue which I think means I’m yielding to them (or the car is watching and it’s their turn).

The insistence of the car to veer to the left to make a right turn is aggravating. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does I’m usually taking over.

I also drove through the center of a small town with no disengagements, passed through about 5 lights and only had to take over at the end when the single lane widened to two and the car decided to drift to the left quickly to cut off a police car. Yeah, I thought it was time I was going to get pulled over. The cop stayed behind me in the left lane and I left the car to drive drive itself because in a few hundred feet it was going to make a tight right turn into a parking lot.