tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: tesla motors

Post by em2nought »

They should definitely go with the Jetson's car noise :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnT1VgeXOF0
two months
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pre-nerf stealth!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:59 pm A word of caution: you will be using your rear view mirror, a lot. Because that is where the other cars are.
I also foresee this guy in your rear view mirror soon. :P
This is why I rely on the tone that rings when you exceed the speed limit. Yes, it knows the speed limit for every road.
A little late in checking in on the thread, but does the car really *know* the speed limit for every road, or does it have a camera that tells it the speed limit for every road?
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think it gets the info from the navigation, as it "knows" before seeing a sign.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, it's from the nav. AP1 also used road signs but I don't think AP2 has added that yet.
mori

Post by mori »

Google Maps knows the speed limits. That is what my 1 year old antiquated internal combustion car uses.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:55 pm I think it gets the info from the navigation, as it "knows" before seeing a sign.
Ah, okay.

My current car uses a camera to read speed limit signs and post it on the dashboard and the HUD. It can lead to hilarious results when it sees a really low speed sign (like 5 MPH in a garage) and reads it out to 70 or 100 MPH.
Hodor.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

My 2017 Accord Hybrid already does this - it took me awhile to figure out why I kept hearing music every time I pulled in and out of the garage. :oops:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Leaf does it, too. I modded that shit away when owned one. Such a dumb rule. It's like folks don't realize that ICE engines can be really friggin quiet. Certainly quiet enough that pedestrians who aren't paying attention won't hear them.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Exodor wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:25 pm

My 2017 Accord Hybrid already does this - it took me awhile to figure out why I kept hearing music every time I pulled in and out of the garage. :oops:
This one would be fun as a substitute :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIgXhiOpeQ
two months
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Coop, stessier, et al... Not that I expect you to jump on it, but my 2nd Model 3 reservation that I made as a flyer for a family member is now open to order, with a 3-5 mo delivery estimate. (Their own res also came due, so I don't need this one.)

If it helps, it's up for grabs.
telcta

Post by telcta »

My email just came in to order about 40 minutes ago. A lot has changed recently... all wheel drive, now white and red color choices are $1500, performance options white interior (which drop the wait from 3-5 months to 2-4), Premium connectivity included prior to July 1st order.

May consider AWD and stick with aero wheels and wait until end of year.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I can say that I've been really impressed with my Aeros. They look better in person than in pictures, and they seem to be the real deal for efficiency. And you can get the $50 lug nut cover/center cap kit if you want to make them look more normal while keeping the option to put the covers back on for longer trips.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Yes, I like that idea and be able to switch them out with the lug nut covers, plus drop the money I save into a set of snow tires.

Curious if I get to choose where I pick up the car, Massachusetts or New York since I can’t buy it in Connecticut.
Last edited by telcta on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Exactly what I plan to do.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:15 pm Coop, stessier, et al... Not that I expect you to jump on it, but my 2nd Model 3 reservation that I made as a flyer for a family member is now open to order, with a 3-5 mo delivery estimate. (Their own res also came due, so I don't need this one.)

Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Red Multi-Coat Paint
18’’ Aero Wheels
Premium Interior
Premium Black
Enhanced Autopilot
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You done did it? Woo!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I can't find any sign of an email to place my order, but I just went to the site to see about dual motor performance differences and it told me to get to work. This is likely the single most fiscally irresponsible thing I have ever done.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

They seem to take a day or so to send out all the invites once a batch has been opened up for configuration. My situation was similar--I logged in, said holy shit, placed my order, and a few hours later Tesla emailed me telling me that maybe I should place my order.

Fiscally irresponsible, sure. But oh, so fun. :auto-car:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:15 pm Coop, stessier, et al... Not that I expect you to jump on it, but my 2nd Model 3 reservation that I made as a flyer for a family member is now open to order, with a 3-5 mo delivery estimate. (Their own res also came due, so I don't need this one.)

Appreciate the heads up, but I think I'm sticking with the Bolt. Headed to the dealership at lunch actually. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:57 amAppreciate the heads up, but I think I'm sticking with the Bolt. Headed to the dealership at lunch actually. :)
Sweet! Congrats.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I can't believe how easy it was to convince myself too go for the dual motors. When you are spending that much, what's another $4k?

As I was ordering I was thinking about the Bolt (and the Genesis G70 (ICE))... but somehow that Tesla, that I posted several times that I had no interest in, is just calling to me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I just got a notice on my phone that my car has the latest OTA update available--this one adds Summon. Gonna be fun (and terrifying) testing that out!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've seen YouTube vids of that in action. It's pretty sweet. I'm not jealous at all. :mrgreen:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm I just got a notice on my phone that my car has the latest OTA update available--this one adds Summon. Gonna be fun (and terrifying) testing that out!
I'll try it out in 3-5 months.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've also seen videos of it hitting objects that are tough for the sonar to detect. Gonna have to be careful...
stessier wrote:I've seen YouTube vids of that in action. It's pretty sweet. I'm not jealous at all. :mrgreen:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You can see mine in 1.3 months.
coopasonic wrote:
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm I just got a notice on my phone that my car has the latest OTA update available--this one adds Summon. Gonna be fun (and terrifying) testing that out!
I'll try it out in 3-5 months.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

OK, yeah. Summon is pretty freaky. Watching it pull in and out of the garage, turning the steering wheel as needed, with no one in the car is a weeeiirrdd feeling.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:12 am Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Red Multi-Coat Paint Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
18’’ Aero Wheels
Premium Interior
Premium Black
Enhanced Autopilot
Changed paint color to save big bucks!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. My final 3 choices were the Red MC, Midnight Silver, and the Deep Blue that I ultimately chose. I think those three are all great. We were torn when they all cost the same. With red being $500 more now, I don't blame you for swapping.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The other factor was a youtube video I saw showing a gray... I mean midnight silver 3 with the chrome all blacked out. That looks awesome and will likely happen to my car as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Everyone that I work with just got their emails. The idea of loaning Elon $1000 for an indeterminate length of time didn’t make any sense to me, but I’m about to be surrounded by Model 3s (another co-worker bought a new Model S a month or two ago).

One friend is taking delivery on Saturday. Exciting times. For them. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fwiw, it seems like they pretty much opened the gates at this point. A new reservation would likely be invited Real Soon Now. Just sayin'
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah I just put in my reservation a month ago (5/20), ordered yesterday (though I never actually got an invite to order) and the site says 3-5 months now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Zaxxon wrote:Fwiw, it seems like they pretty much opened the gates at this point. A new reservation would likely be invited Real Soon NowImage. Just sayin'
That seems likely to be true, but I’m not currently in the market to replace the Camaro. But it seems fairly certain that I know what my next car is going to be some day. :)
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tesla opens orders to all reservation holders.
For people who put down a $1,000 deposit for a Tesla Model 3 as long as two years ago, the big day has arrived. Specifically, the day has arrived when they can give Tesla another $2,500 and then wait a few more months for their car to arrive.
That's good writing. :D
But Tesla has a long history of missing optimistic production targets. And even if Tesla is able to sustain a Model 3 production rate of 5,000 units a week in the second half of 2018, that only translates to 65,000 units per quarter. With 450,000 Model 3 reservation-holders globally at the end of the first quarter of 2018, it would take almost two years for Tesla to clear out the backlog.

The good news for North American customers, though, is that Tesla hasn't yet opened up ordering to all reservation holders overseas. So while it might take a couple of years for Tesla to get Model 3s to everyone who pre-ordered them, customers in the United States have a decent shot at getting them sooner.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:39 pm I’m about to be surrounded by Model 3s (another co-worker bought a new Model S a month or two ago).
I still don't know a single person outside of this board that has an EV, much less a Tesla. I can still count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of charging stations I've seen in the area. This doesn't help.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote: I still don't know a single person outside of this board that has an EV, much less a Tesla. I can still count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of charging stations I've seen in the area. This doesn't help.
Yeah, there's just no charging infrastructure in Elgin/Chicago...

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jeff V wrote:I still don't know a single person outside of this board that has an EV, much less a Tesla. I can still count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of charging stations I've seen in the area. This doesn't help.
Right now, within 50 feet of my desk is a Model S owner, a Model 3 owner and a Chevy Bolt owner. There are three new Model 3 owners in various stages of processing.

Make up bags of change
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I don't live near Elgin, but Zax, that's not a whole hell of a lot in an area roughly 45x35 miles (nearly 1600 sq miles). Are you certain all of these are in public areas? Most of the chargers I've seen have been in parking lots of restaurants, malls, hotels and other private establishments, ostensibly for the use of patrons. I've seen exactly one on a public street.

In the chargers I've seen, I've observed exactly no cars charging. I was at a hotel last month in NY that had 3 chargers positioned closer than even the handicapped parking. These spaces were always full. The cars filling them probably dated back to the late 80's.

Anyway, the point of the article is that appears there will be even fewer chargers coming anytime soon. This is going to slow adoption and delay the point where the technology achieves critical mass needed for it to become a critical, integral part of the infrastructure (at which point it becomes a tax payer obligation).
Black Lives Matter