tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: tesla motors

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 am Tesla hit the 200k US sales mark.

The article says that the Federal incentive phases out in two steps - halved in the first half of 2019 and halved again in the second half. I thought it was done by quarters. Guess I was wrong.
It is written by quarters, but the net effect is by halves since they hit the limit in 3Q. The full amount lasts for remainder of the quarter in which the limit is hit (which is 3Q 2018) and the next full quarter. Then it's halved for two quarters, and halved again for two more.

Had they hit it in 2Q, it'd have sounded weird to use halves since it'd be offset by a quarter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I didn't realize it went by 2 quarters, I thought the halving was done every quarter. Makes sense - thanks.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

*checks tesla page, voicemail and email for the 56th time this morning*
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:41 am *checks tesla page, voicemail and email for the 56th time this morning*
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:41 am *checks tesla page, voicemail and email for the 56th time this morning*
I thought we agreed you were waiting until after I get mine. That's what I told Musk when we last spoke.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm told it will be a bit slower for me since Tesla doesn't technically sell cars in Texas. I have to pay for it before they ship it. That doesn't make any less anxious or excited.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:51 am
I thought we agreed you were waiting until after I get mine. That's what I told Musk when we last spoke.
Sorry bro, I got an email from inside sales last night. I don't get a date until my bank pays for the car, but it should be in the next 2-4 weeks. I already have the financing approved, just need to see the trade-in evaluation to nail down the final numbers for the check.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 am
Sorry bro, I got an email from inside sales last night. I don't get a date until my bank pays for the car, but it should be in the next 2-4 weeks. I already have the financing approved, just need to see the trade-in evaluation to nail down the final numbers for the check.
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 am
Le sigh. I asked for an update yesterday on mine and GM hadn't picked up the order yet. The dealership contacted the area GM rep and she made an adjustment to the allocation system so GM should pick up the order next week. Then it's likely a month until manufacture then 4-6 weeks after that to delivery.

Congrats, though!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Since I'm one of the bigger Tesla/Musk supporters around here, allow me to say screw you, Musk. Indefensible.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:Since I'm one of the bigger Tesla/Musk supporters around here, allow me to say screw you, Musk. Indefensible.
Yeah, that was pretty messed up. I know he's a bit of a personality but that really is uncalled for. What an asswipe.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, not cool at all. Yes, Elon, sometimes you should just say nothing, particularly when you've had a drink or two.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

But in happier news, I'm 630 miles into another road trip, this time with the family, and have spent zero time waiting for a charge. Superchargers are awesome. Currently plugged into the campground adjacent to Wall Drug in SD while we eat lunch and shop just for extra buffer as we enter the Badlands.

Camp lady looked at me like I'm from another planet, though...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got my financing approved and trade-in offer, just waiting for Tesla to tell me the final amount to finance so my lender can send the money... hurry up Tesla!
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:46 am Image
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet. Tesla's trade offer was fair? They independently offered me the same as CarMax for my Leaf, and I took it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Tesla's offer was only $400 less than the CarMax offer. Both were well over what I expected ($4k over from CarMax!), so I am a pretty happy camper. I might not have countered with the CarMax offer for only $400 more, but I was a bit worried they would drop their offer when they actually saw the car.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Buying a car by email is so... painfully... slow...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ha. Here they match CarMax, so you may want to bring that up it the CarMax offer is still valid. Good luck with the final waiting.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Hi all,

I received the Tesla order email a week ago while on vacation. My wife and I actually have our sights set on the 35k base model, since we're not keen on spending 49k for the one that's available. I'm wondering, does anyone know what the protocol is for waiting for the 35k model (due to come out next year)?

Do we lose our place in line, does the offer to buy expire?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

raydude wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:45 pm Hi all,

I received the Tesla order email a week ago while on vacation. My wife and I actually have our sights set on the 35k base model, since we're not keen on spending 49k for the one that's available. I'm wondering, does anyone know what the protocol is for waiting for the 35k model (due to come out next year)?

Do we lose our place in line, does the offer to buy expire?
They are just trying to draw you in to pony up for the more expensive (and more readily available) models. Hold off on configuring until what you want is available to configure.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

As for the details, your invite will not expire. Your place in line once the config you choose is available will be relative to your time of actual order and reservation priority. In other words, if you and I both configure the same car at the same time but you reserved before me, yours will be produced first. If you reserved before me but I pull the trigger first, I'm in the production queue and you're not (yet), so in effect I jump ahead of you.

Subject to the whims of Tesla's internal happenings, of course.

Let me also just say, since I'm in the middle of my second long road trip in as many weeks, that I am super happy that I got the longer-range battery. I've had several trip legs that just would not have been possible in the shorter-range car without charging, and a couple more that would have been more difficult/stressful. It also charges/Supercharges faster, accelerates quicker and has a longer warranty.

I say this not to convince anyone, but just to convey that when I configured I wondered whether I'd really get a lot of value out of that extra investment since on a day-to-day basis I need nowhere near 300 miles of range. I wondered whether I'd been reeled in by the prospect of getting the car sooner and paid the ransom, so to speak. But it's been invaluable already. I'm sure I'll get some of that cost back in resale, as well, and it'll also reduce the level and impact of any battery degradation.

So my advice is to consider it if you plan to road trip with any frequency. It may not be worth it to you, but it's more useful to me than I had expected going in, so I wanted to share.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Tl;Dr, It appears that Tesla kinda fudged the numbers so the dual motor Model 3 could be advertised to get the same range as the ling range RWD version. They didn't lie about the dual motor 310 range (though it's kind of at the max edge) but they sandbagged the LR RWD so the more expensive DM version was the same.
The standard 70% multiplier is generally used by automakers, but they can also work with the EPA to develop a different multiplier to get a range “more representative for a specific vehicle,” which is what Tesla says it did for the Dual Motor versions.

Tesla didn’t do this for the Long Range rear-wheel-drive Model 3 and as we previously reported, owners of that version of the Model 3 have overwhelmingly been getting the 310-mile range and more quite easily in real-world conditions.

For example, a Model 3 owner recently got an impressive 375 miles of range at 70 mph on the highway.

Just one of many examples from Model 3 RWD owners easily getting more range out of the vehicle without having to do any extreme hypermiling techniques.

To be clear, Tesla is currently advertising the range of all versions of the Model 3 with the correct official EPA ratings for each model within the guidelines. The question is whether or not they should have all the same EPA rating.

Electrek’s Take

Let’s give Tesla the benefit of the doubt and say that the multiplier they used for the Model 3 Dual Motor versions is actually more accurate and therefore, it makes sense for them to have a 310-mile EPA rating and advertised range.

I have no problem with that, but I don’t like that they reduced the EPA range of the Long Range rear-wheel-drive Model 3 in order to also get 310 miles.

At that point, the only explanation that makes sense is that Tesla didn’t want to advertise the range of the more expensive Dual Motor version as being less than the rear-wheel-drive single motor version.

Coop's order change is looking like a nice move.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yep, it was fishy last year when it came out that they could have claimed 334 for the RWD version but went with 310. The big question for me is why the AWD gets better range on the S/X and worse range on the 3. Maybe something to do with the fact that the 3 uses 2 different types of motor?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:51 pm Coop's order change is looking like a nice move.
I originally chose AWD for the performance and backed off due to cost. The difference in range isn't particularly important to me. Of course, then I got a trade offer $4k higher than I was prepared to expect, but at that point it was too late to put AWD back in the mix. Probably for the best. Now I can afford to have christmas this year.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

They get you a date yet?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Still waiting on the contract. Apparently they moved from production hell to contract hell. It has been a week now since the ISA said 1-2 days for the contract.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Curses. Sounds about right once you put it through the Elon Time™ translator, though.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Hypothetical question for Tesla and other electric car owners.

Say you're driving long distance with your beloved dog. You stop at a charging station. There's a restaurant, but no pets are allowed. Is there a way to leave the A/C running in car so Fido doesn't have to wait outside in the heat? If so, is there any way for a passerby to tell this is the case so a good Samaritan doesn't smash your window to rescue him?

Finally, let's say you just want to rest in the car while it's charging. Do any of your activities significantly increase your charging time?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In fact, all Teslas will automatically maintain cabin temp < 105F if the battery is > 20% charged. Additionally, you can turn on climate control from the app on your phone to maintain whatever temp you want.

S/X also have a camping mode that will let you literally sleep in the car with the climate control on all night.

Those activities do drain some range if not plugged in, but it's pretty negligible if we're not talking maintain 68F in 100F ambient for hours or something like that.

If you are plugged in, the car will automatically use shore power for that stuff.

If you are charging, the HVAC will extend the charge time, but unless you're talking L1 (eg a normal wall outlet and not an EV charger or Supercharger) it's a pretty negligible difference.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Oh, and you also asked if passers-by can tell: if the HVAC is having to work hard, it's pretty loud. Certainly audible from standing outside the car.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:47 pm Oh, and you also asked if passers-by can tell: if the HVAC is having to work hard, it's pretty loud. Certainly audible from standing outside the car.
My leader with the Model X was driving from TX to VA last week and he printed signs to put in the windows that the AC was on and the dogs were fine. It's probably better than counting on strangers to understand what that noise means.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good idea.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just sent my sales guy an email reminding him the bank gave him 10 days to request funds and 8 days have passed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You mean to provide you the final MVPA?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:38 pm You mean to provide you the final MVPA?
No, I mean to request funds from the lender. The MVPA is a precursor to that.

Third party financing on a remote vehicle purchase is extra fun!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I used third-party financing as well, and the extent of it was receiving the MVPA from Tesla (myself) and providing that (myself) to the lender. The lender then arranged for Tesla to receive a check the morning of my delivery. I'm not understanding what Tesla is having to do directly with your lender if it's a third-party lender and not arranged through Tesla. I know TX is different, but I thought the difference would just be that your lender has to send the check before Tesla ships the car to TX rather than on the day of delivery.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess the difference is ACH vs a physical check. Tesla is providing the lender details on where to send the money. It could go through me, but it doesn't need to.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Got it. Yeah, my lender is a smallish credit union and insisted on a check. Guess that worked in my favor. :)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 am Image
I really miss that guy! :(
Stop funding for NPR
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:22 am Still waiting on the contract. Apparently they moved from production hell to contract hell. It has been a week now since the ISA said 1-2 days for the contract.
It took two weeks but the contract showed up last night and I got a delivery date this morning. 8/21. So far away, but I am excited... and I get to check out Zaxxon's car in the mean time. Also signed the contract to get the charger installed, no date there yet. I need to request access to work charging too. So many things to do.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter