tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: tesla motors

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote:That's cool. I keep hoping Tesla can take of and really get enough momentum to start a bigger change. Musk seems to have the future of humanity on his mind, not just the next big way to siphon millions before the world goes to shit.

My wife had agreed that our next car should probably be a Tesla, until she saw this yesterday. She's got a regular ol' Mini Cooper, and is dying to get a Countryman, so this made her day. It's not a pure electric, but even a Hybrid will help with fuel use.
I think Tesla already *has* caused a big change, in that they really made pure electric vehicles (along with PHEVs) a real thing in the marketplace. Now Chevy has the Bolt / Volt, and most other major manufacturers have some EV / PHEVs in their fleet as well (including now the Mini, apparently). I don't think those are going away, even if Tesla ultimately dies.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tesla can't really die at this point, IMO. Worst case they get bought and added to someone else's line. The name's worth too much.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote:Tesla can't really die at this point, IMO. Worst case they get bought and added to someone else's line. The name's worth too much.
Chevy will probably buy them and rename the brand Edison.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The horror.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Actually, Chevy would never do that, on further thought. Trump will definitely do that, post election.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zaxxon wrote:The horror.
It is, if you know the history there.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Paingod wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:The horror.
It is, if you know the history there.
Yes, hence the horror.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I suppose tone and inflection were lost. I thought you were being sarcastic... :D
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Me, sarcastic? Never!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ohh you are so good at sarcasm.
Black Lives Matter.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Paingod wrote:That's cool. I keep hoping Tesla can take of and really get enough momentum to start a bigger change. Musk seems to have the future of humanity on his mind, not just the next big way to siphon millions before the world goes to shit.

I'd argue it's both :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$upercharger
Tesla's extensive Supercharger network is one of the great benefits of being a Tesla owner, but after January 2017 it will no longer be free for new customers.

"For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel," Tesla said in a statement on Monday.

"Beyond that, there will be a small fee to Supercharge which will be charged incrementally and cost less than the price of filling up a comparable gas car," the automaker added. "All cars will continue to come standard with the onboard hardware required for Supercharging."

Tesla said that it would "release the details of the program later this year, and while prices may fluctuate over time and vary regionally based on the cost of electricity, our Supercharger Network will never be a profit center."

Tesla also said that the change wouldn't affect "current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017, as long as delivery is taken before April 1, 2017."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unavoidable as they greatly expand production and target a more mainstream demographic in order to avoid congestion. Cool that they are including 400kWh/year free with all vehicles.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What about the solar panels? Wouldn't you always be charging (except at night)?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote:What about the solar panels? Wouldn't you always be charging (except at night)?
Solar panels on the vehicles themselves? They can be used to offset HVAC usage, but current panels can't significantly contribute to powertrain energy. And that's in ideal circumstances--parked outside, on sunny days, properly facing the sun without obstruction. Musk did recently tweet that they're thinking about a deployable solar canopy of some sort for use while parked, but I'll believe that's feasible/economical when I see it.

Solar panels on Superchargers is something I'd like to see more of, but there, as well, they're less useful than you might think. You'd need a much larger array of panels to cover the usage at a typical Supercharger than what you could reasonably expect to deploy via a canopy. I'd rather see Tesla start deploying panels en masse in more fitting locations to offset that usage. Maybe if/when the SolarCity merger is settled.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Surely they can find a way to harness the heat energy stored by the steering wheel and dashboard plastics as well as leather seats?
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The SolarCity acquisition officially closed yesterday. Tesla put out a video of one of their microgrid projects today.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Budweiser and Otto (an Israeli beer company) completed the first ever self-driven beer delivery.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote:Budweiser and Otto (an Israeli beer company) completed the first ever self-driven beer delivery.
Sweet; now the 'monitor' can drink beer during the run!

Edit - insert obligatory joke about how a monkey could drive the straight line from Ft Collins to Colorado Springs.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:grund: :grund: :grund: Stop Elon from Failing Again. :grund: :grund: :grund:

Spoiler: Laura Ingraham, misinformation, etc.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This is pretty funny. It's over the top and inaccurate at points (who drives a manual transmission these days other than those who really want to?), but I found it interesting as a view into what it looks like if you turn the Jeff V Gaze of Doubt™ back at ICE vehicles. So many little ridiculous concessions that we're just used to because that's the way vehicles have always been for us.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In actual news, the Lucid (nee Atieva) Air reveal was last night. I like what they're doing far more than the un-produceable junk that Faraday showed off to this point, and having Peter Rawlinson (former Model S lead) is a plus. But I wouldn't bet on their success--the market in 2018/2019 will be far different from what Tesla dealt with when the S launched in 2012. Seems like Lucid would have to partner with someone in order to get any real scale in that time frame.

But I'm glad to see another company actually putting forth a ground-up EV design philosophy.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote:This is pretty funny. It's over the top and inaccurate at points (who drives a manual transmission these days other than those who really want to?), but I found it interesting as a view into what it looks like if you turn the Jeff V Gaze of Doubt™ back at ICE vehicles. So many little ridiculous concessions that we're just used to because that's the way vehicles have always been for us.
Clever.
mori

Post by mori »

Zaxxon wrote:This is pretty funny. It's over the top and inaccurate at points (who drives a manual transmission these days other than those who really want to?), but I found it interesting as a view into what it looks like if you turn the Jeff V Gaze of Doubt™ back at ICE vehicles. So many little ridiculous concessions that we're just used to because that's the way vehicles have always been for us.
I believe manual transmissions are much more common in Europe than in the USA and Canada.

I realized I am quickly becoming a Neandertal when it comes to the future of personal automotive transportation. I will someday buy, in the not so distant future, an appliance that will transport me without my direct input to my destination. It is what the masses want, and what governments want. I just cannot imagine what it will be like when gas pumps get pulled out of convenience stores because they will not need them. Will we still need convenience stores? How will I get fuel for my internal combustion engines? Will I have to travel 50 miles to get my monthly ration of gasoline from a designated supplier and pay $30 a gallon just to keep my relic operating out of nostalgia and enjoyment?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good response to the wildly misleading Adam Ruins Everything episode on EVs from last month.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

As I watched the Adam video (before the rebuttal) I had a lot of the same thoughts. I don't think he was trying to be deliberately misleading, but more jarring people by saying that simply switching to a new car isn't going to save the world - plus he had some older data and didn't take everything into account.

I still look forward to making my next car an electric one, but only after I've paid off my current one and driven it until there's no life left in it. Hopefully by then, I'll be buying a car that is hands-free and can deliver itself for service when it needs to while I work.
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The biggest (among several big) issue that jumped out to me with Adam's is that he seemed to be suggesting that if you buy a new EV before your car is ready for the scrap heap, it's as though your vehicle is sent to the scrap heap. Ignoring the fact that vehicles will be driven until they are no longer driveable (or at least largely worthless) regardless of whether you personally hang on to them that long.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Tesla Announces Pricing for Supercharger Use
Tesla has announced what it will charge owners for using its Supercharger stations. Tesla vehicles ordered after January 15, 2017 will come with 400 kWh of Supercharging credit annually every year on the anniversary of the car’s delivery, which should be good for around 1,000 miles. Should drivers go over the 400-kWh limit, they will be charged a fee for using the Supercharger network.

Pricing will be fixed in North America and other countries, but depending on the region owners will be paying per kWh or per minute, depending on local government regulations. Tesla said in a blog post that it’s working with regulators to update regional rules so that it can universally charge per kWh, which it says is the “fairest way to pay for the exact energy used.” According to Tesla, using Superchargers will still be cheaper than buying gas, stating that a road trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles will only cost $15 and one from Los Angeles to New York will cost $120. The EV automaker says that it intends to continue development of the Supercharger network, with plans to expand the network’s capacity and improve accessibility.

Last year, we reported that starting in 2017, Tesla will begin charging a fee for using its Supercharger network to fund its expansion and improve its user experience. In addition, Tesla also announced that it would start collecting an “idle fee” for cars plugged in at a Supercharger but no longer charging. The idle fee for these space-hoggers is $0.40 per minute but the automaker says that it will waive it if the vehicle’s owner moves it within a five-minute time frame.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

In addition, Tesla also announced that it would start collecting an “idle fee” for cars plugged in at a Supercharger but no longer charging. The idle fee for these space-hoggers is $0.40 per minute but the automaker says that it will waive it if the vehicle’s owner moves it within a five-minute time frame.
I am not well informed on the Tesla but I am assuming that they have some kind of app that gives you a warning when your charge is done? Because a lot of people will likely spent that recharge time to get a bite to eat or something. If you lose track of time, 40 cents a minute can rack up rather quickly.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$24/hr
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes, you can see charge status in the app. Folks will also have a good idea how long it'll take at the outset from the nav system. Will just take some awareness when charging at a heavily-utilized location.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's annoying, but understandable. Up here, the charging stations have maybe 4 terminals. If there's a half-dozen people waiting, a couple of inconsiderate people can really slow things down for everyone else. I don't mind putting a parking meter on that.

Better yet, eventually your car will just move itself when the charge is complete.
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, something along these lines was inevitable prior to the Model 3 launch. Relying on good behavior when the fleet triples in size in a year would have been... Unwise.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Unique seating in Tesla sparks false kidnapping reports
“The new Teslas have a weird back seat and when they put the (child) in the back seat it looked like they were putting them in the trunk.”

A passerby originally reported the incident to the sheriff’s station and was concerned that there might have been a possible child abduction on Lyons Avenue and Apple Street.

The Sheriff’s Department discovered the gray Tesla a short amount of time after the incident was reported and detained the driver at gun point.

“We’re going to investigate (a kidnapping) and detain whoever until we figure out that it is not a crime,” said Hahnlein.

“We’re not Tesla experts.”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's hard to tell from that article whether the $42 per sq ft was just the tiles or the average cost for the complete system. Still, if this is the entry point, I wonder if there will be a price drop in the future to make it more feasible for deployment on modestly-priced homes?

Super long-term financing might help as well - it would be a no-brainer if the TCO on a monthly basis comes out to less than the home's normal electric bill.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The average they came up with is $21.85, including installation, and tear-out/haul-away of the old roof. I think the $42 cost is the actual solar tiles (all costs include installation), while the non-solar tiles are much cheaper, leading to the average $21.85. If I put in my home (1,352 sq ft roof) with 70% solar I get $32.69/sq ft, and with 40% solar it's $23.37/sq ft. Both of those are pre-tax credit. With tax credit it's $23.89 and $18.34.

That's still a big up-front cost, but then you take into account that you get 30 years of energy (wish they'd detail their assumptions on this count in more detail). At that point on my house Tesla says the 30-year cost is negative $16k for the 70% option, and negative $7k on the 40% option.

And then also you never have a roof replacement again. That's less of an advantage vs other expensive roofing options like cement tile (which is what we have, and has a 50-year life). But vs asphalt where 20 years is the best-case scenario and 10-15 is typical, the long-term benefits are pretty decent.

But that up-front cost will keep this to the high-roller districts for now, I think. It'll be interesting to see whether pricing sticks here for awhile or comes down next year once production is humming along.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

They'll need a creative strategy for long-term financing, such as making it an escrow item that transfers the cost whenever the house changes owners. If the monthly cost could be a wash compared with standard electrical service, there would be no reason NOT to build a house with this technology in the first place. If the house is bought out-right (or the financed cost exceeds the length of the mortgage) it becomes a billable item like taxes, and one that can become a lien (also like taxes) if defaulted on.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Man, Musk tends to overpromise on timelines, but he does not fuck around when he has a new idea... Their first real test of a boring machine is beginning:
Link

And they have a prototype electric sled running already (this would eventually be used to scoot vehicles along at high speeds within the tunnel system):
Link

Concept video.

I'm not sold on this being practical even if they achieve the multiple orders-of-magnitude cost decrease they're shooting for, but t's a neat idea.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Video ads... with sound alert.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... 348346001/
LANSING — A court fight between the State of Michigan and electric car manufacturer Tesla could give Michigan taxpayers a rare glimpse at what goes on between powerful lobbyists, state lawmakers, and the governor’s office.

Tesla, which is suing the state in federal court in Grand Rapids, has subpoenaed records of communications between the Michigan Automobile Dealers Association, key state lawmakers, and Gov. Rick Snyder just prior to the passage of a 2014 law that bars manufacturers from selling directly to customers and requires them to sell through franchised dealerships.

Both the auto dealers and Sen. Joe Hune, R-Gregory, whom the suit alleges introduced the restrictive language and is married to a lobbyist whose firm lobbies for auto dealers, have moved to quash the subpoenas, saying such records are confidential under state law.
My state legislature want no part of being public about how it legislates. Imagine that.

One day the rebellion against gerrymandering will get so strong that the power brokers will be left with nothing and no recourse. I have to believe this.