tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: tesla motors

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote:One day the rebellion against gerrymandering will get so strong that the power brokers will be left with nothing and no recourse. I have to believe this.
I'm at a point where I believe everything a government says, does, or thinks should be clearly transparent to anyone who wants to sift through some Read-Only records online. Anything short of "Secret Military Technology" or "Our agents will die in another country" or "Criminal Investigation" should be out there to see.

Freedom of speech, after all.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Detroit really doesn't like Tesla...

That said, this is terrible and unfunny.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It amazes me (well, not really) that there's such pushback against changing how cars are sold in some areas. I really like the "This is the price, we're not f##king around with sales and gimmicks" model. I generally hate haggling over anything and appreciate that they aren't even allowed to try. It's completely broken that three states (one of them is tiny) are providing crutches to other dealers and eliminating consumer choices.

All of that aside, I hope the driver is a garden variety asshat that gets prison time. For some reason I think it would be worse if it came out that it was all because of his hatred for the future.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Friday is a big day for Tesla. The first Model 3 is expected to roll off the line in prep for a 7/28 delivery event where the first couple dozen cars will be handed over. And just now, they announced that they won the South Australia battery storage project that was talked about back in March. This will be the largest grid storage project in the world by a wide margin.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm in the market for a new car. If I could wait a year to see how the Model 3 turns out, it might be a contender. But I can't really gamble on crippling my old Miata through another winter. Sorry Elon, you're a little too late for me. (Don't they have a year-long backlog of preorders?)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Supposedly the list is in the hundreds of thousands, yes.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Hopefully the news is enough to blunt the current bloodbath for TSLA.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

RunningMn9 wrote:Hopefully the news is enough to blunt the current bloodbath for TSLA.
Don't know if I'd call it a bloodbath. It's just back to it's end of May price.

Don't know if I mentioned it but I drove a friend's P90D a few weeks ago. It was as expected and I want one but only in the same way I want lots of things I don't need. Amazing machine. Full electric is certainly the future but I doubt Tesla will be alone.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Definitely won't be alone. It was nice to see Volvo announce earlier this week that starting in 2019 all vehicles will have at least a mild hybrid electric motor in them. Their plan is all-electric eventually, but not for several years after that. To my knowledge, though, they're the first 'traditional' automaker to have a hard date after which they will sell zero ICE-only vehicles.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, holy shit. This is EXACTLY the solar roof option I have been waiting for. I see all the ugly, bulky panels on a few homes near me, and my wife keeps prompting me to look more into it since we get a LOT of sun here, all year round (and can pay between $300 to $400 a month in electricity during peak summer months).

My argument was two fold:
1. They are ugly in the current state, IMO (she disagrees). When new, smaller, more efficient solar tech comes out that is barely visible, and someone tries to sell a home with the 2013 version of solar panels (say in 2019), I imagine that is going to be a problem (for the seller).
2. With the rapidly changing solar tech development (this is before I knew about Tesla's plan), something will shortly come along that looks like a normal roof (and probably cheaper).

And VOILA! Wow...just had no idea this was even a thing (and so close!). Thanks, Elon!

Thanks, thread! :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote:Definitely won't be alone. It was nice to see Volvo announce earlier this week that starting in 2019 all vehicles will have at least a mild hybrid electric motor in them. Their plan is all-electric eventually, but not for several years after that. To my knowledge, though, they're the first 'traditional' automaker to have a hard date after which they will sell zero ICE-only vehicles.
And that's a bit of exaggeration. No "new" models will be ICE only, so they will phase out as models get replaced, generationally rather than annually (best words I could find). It might be 4-5 years after that deadline before they redesign everything they have.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Definitely won't be alone. It was nice to see Volvo announce earlier this week that starting in 2019 all vehicles will have at least a mild hybrid electric motor in them. Their plan is all-electric eventually, but not for several years after that. To my knowledge, though, they're the first 'traditional' automaker to have a hard date after which they will sell zero ICE-only vehicles.
And that's a bit of exaggeration. No "new" models will be ICE only, so they will phase out as models get replaced, generationally rather than annually (best words I could find). It might be 4-5 years after that deadline before they redesign everything they have.
No, that's how I initially read it but doesn't seem to be the case. From the press release:
It will launch five fully electric cars between 2019 and 2021, three of which will be Volvo models and two of which will be high performance electrified cars from Polestar, Volvo Cars’ performance car arm. Full details of these models will be announced at a later date.

These five cars will be supplemented by a range of petrol and diesel plug in hybrid and mild hybrid 48 volt options on all models, representing one of the broadest electrified car offerings of any car maker.
Of course, you're right that it's still going to be quite awhile before all their new vehicles are EV-only, or even PHEV. But it's a start, and I credit them for at least having a public plan to get there.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Don't know if I'd call it a bloodbath. It's just back to it's end of May price.
A 21% drop in four days enters that territory for me at least. :)
Make up bags of change
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RunningMn9 wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Don't know if I'd call it a bloodbath. It's just back to it's end of May price.
A 21% drop in four days enters that territory for me at least. :)
It's up 70% since December, after having been up 113%. These swings come with the TSLA territory. I imagine once Model 3 is rolling out in the thousands/week it'll shoot up again, and then after they inevitably miss their 10k/week goal early next year it'll drop again.

Enlarge Image
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:They are ugly in the current state, IMO (she disagrees).
Do you spend a lot of time staring at your roof? When sitting inside my solar-powered climate-controlled house, I couldn't possibly care less what the panels look like. As for if when I sell the place, I've fixed the electricity cost of the house at a level that is about 36% of what it is without solar - and it's fixed for decades. And yeah, they could want newer panels when they buy my house - but these ones are free (they aren't even paying for their value to the home).
Make up bags of change
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Do you spend a lot of time staring at your roof?
Considering the water problems I have had with what I thought to be roof leaks, yes, wayyyy too much time, especially in past 2 years. :D

But seriously, it is very much an aesthetic issue, and yes, I do care what my house looks like to a degree. Solar panels are within that degree of caring.

It also very much depends on the installation I think, and your existing house and roof lines and design pre-solar installation. I have seen some houses where it looks acceptable, and even fits in/complements the style of the house, and some where it completely stands out and uglifies the whole scene. I also think the current panels tend to look better on more modern houses.

Almost acceptable:
Enlarge Image

Just no:
Enlarge Image

My roof more resembles that latter example than the tile roof, so yeah, that abomination is not greeting my eyeballs every day when I come home from work.:D
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
Do you spend a lot of time staring at your roof?
Considering the water problems I have had with what I thought to be roof leaks, yes, wayyyy too much time, especially in past 2 years. :D

But seriously, it is very much an aesthetic issue, and yes, I do care what my house looks like to a degree. Solar panels are within that degree of caring.

It also very much depends on the installation I think, and your existing house and roof lines and design pre-solar installation. I have seen some houses where it looks acceptable, and even fits in/complements the style of the house, and some where it completely stands out and uglifies the whole scene. I also think the current panels tend to look better on more modern houses.
I don't mean to shatter your reality, but roofs aren't beautiful. They all suck. Vents, exhaust pipes, etc. Some suck less than others, but I don't typically look at homes and think, "look at the roof lines on that babe!"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:I don't mean to shatter your reality, but roofs aren't beautiful. They all suck.
Completely disagree, there. They can be ugly, or beautiful, depending on how much care the builder of your house took in design and choice (and obviously budget). Plenty of examples within a mile of my house of both hideous roofs, and beautiful ones. Don't make me google "beautiful roofs" please! :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think we just have differing definitions of 'beautiful.'
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I mean, to each his own, and you of course have to be happy in your home based on whatever criteria you use.

If that means the roof that you can't see 99.8% of the time has to be exquisite, that's your call.
Make up bags of change
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Concur.

A beautiful roof (to me):
or

An average, ugly roof (to me):
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Meh. I'm not saying they're ugly. I guess I get more kicks out of knowing that my roof isn't wasting a nuclear fusion reactor's efforts to power my home.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tesla vs State of Michigan: car dealers fear disclosure of their role in banning Tesla’s sales

It takes a special level of irony and/or lack of self-awareness for a dealership lobbyist to complain that his speech is being chilled by Tesla's lawsuit when the entire point of the dealership's lobbying has been to chill Tesla's speech/ability to participate in the local marketplace.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Re: our Ford electrification discussion awhile back... This would be one way for Ford to actually get with the program.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:Re: our Ford electrification discussion awhile back... This would be one way for Ford to actually get with the program.
Could be and the earlier the better. Without movement, EV will be a synonym for Tesla for the foreseeable future. This should be good news for the F in my portfolio if it moves forward.

I also saw on NBR that Volvo has announced they will be 100% EV or Hyrbrid by 2020. That was a :shock: for me.

First piece I could find via google

https://www.vox.com/new-money/2017/7/5/ ... ybrid-cars

Volvo and Daimler are really trying to expand the North American presenceseses. VW already has a foothold but they are also trying to expand Audi brand here.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Apparently Ford is denying interest in Lucid. Too bad. Of course who knows what's happening behind the scenes.

The Volvo thing is good, although they've couched it in terms that would allow the vast majority of their production for the next several years to be 'regular' non-plug-in hybrids. Right direction, not necessarily the right speed (that I'd like to see).
telcta

Post by telcta »

I stayed up last night to watch the Hand-Off event last night. They showed a little more of the interior and the cars they produced had different wheel configurations and colors but difficult to see at night. They had two price points $35,000 for the 220 mile range battery and $44,000 for a 310 mile version. I'm sure a lot more information will be coming out today.

I logged into My Tesla to see if anything changed on my reservation and they now have a delivery estimator. Looks like the first round of cars they're producing are the longer range 310 mile models.

Mine shows:

First Production
310 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive
$49,000. (not sure what else is included for the extra 5K)
Feb - Apr 2018

Standard Battery
220 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive
$35,000
Apr - Jun 2018

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Choice of 220 or 310 mile range
Nov 2018 - Jan 2019
[No Price Shown]

So now I'll be consumed working out numbers, figuring out if I want rear-wheel drive in Connecticut. Where to buy it -- Mass or NY since CT refuses to allow direct sales. Getting a 40amp line to the garage.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

telcta wrote:I stayed up last night to watch the Hand-Off event last night.
I watched the replay. I'm very interested in a Tesla, but since I am about to pay off my vehicle I will probably hold off for a while. I figure that in 4 or 5 years that any bugs will be worked out and the national recharging infrastructure should definitely be in place. Excited for you. That's cool.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sept-Nov 2018 for mine if we go dual-motor...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Oct - Dec 2017 for the 310 mile model, Jan - Mar 2018 for the 220 mile model.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Initial test-drive reports are pretty positive...

Bloomberg: Driving Tesla's Model 3 Changes Everything
The fact that this car still looks, drives, and feels like a Tesla—at a starting price of $35,000—shows how far the Silicon Valley automaker has come. It's still an expensive vehicle for many of Tesla's biggest fans, and compelling options packages will drag a lot of stretch spenders into uncomfortable territory. But at current battery prices, Tesla is setting a new standard for value in an electric car—which of course was Musk's plan all along.
Motor Trend: The Tesla Model 3 is Here, and it is the Most Important Vehicle of the Century
As we pack up, I’m thinking. Recently I’ve been spending some time in Motor Trend’s long-term Chevrolet Bolt EV and with every mile edging closer to calling it The Automobile 2.0. With its affordability, stress-free range, and delightful driving qualities, I’m thinking that maybe this is where the second era of the car commences. Pause that thought. With the Tesla Model 3’s performance, slinky style, fascinating creativity, and, critically, its Supercharger safety net, I think this is truly where it begins. Here at the corner of Mulholland Highway and Old Topanga Road.
Car & Driver
Even without the self-driving capability, our first impressions are very positive. Assuming Tesla can build enough Model 3s and keep the build quality up—both big ifs—Elon Musk will have a hit on his hands.
Top Gear
We were at an event celebrating the handover of the first 30 production cars to employees and other early adopters, but managed to somehow persuade Elon and his team to let us have a go. We were sent out in batches of four for a limited drive on the roads around Tesla’s Fremont factory. I was fortunate enough to be in the first group but the guy in front was clearly suffering from stage fright, so I pulled out and set off, making me the first Journalist in the world the drive the Model 3… Nice. My co-pilot was Jerome Guillen, who was the project lead on the Model S and is now currently working on Tesla’s Semi project (autonomous lorry) and whose actual car we were driving. No wonder he looked nervous. Our short foray highlighted that the Model 3’s quoted 0-60 time of 5.1 seconds in this long range spec might be underplaying its performance a bit: it’s rapid and the acceleration is delivered with a lovely linearity and unwavering torque that EVs deliver. The overall feeling of peace and quiet is helped by the uncluttered interior but the sound deadening and insulation of the Model 3 is impressive with road noise minimal. The steering is meaty and positive, but beyond that on such a short drive the overall impression was that it delivers a very similar driving experience to the Model S or X and stays true to previous product dynamics.
Washington Post: I spent three minutes inside Tesla's Model 3 - and I'm still thinking about it a day later
It’s not so much that Tesla is ushering in the future. After riding in the Model 3, I’m more inclined to think that Tesla is single-handedly pulling the automotive industry into the present – the way anyone born before the Internet thought 2017 would look like decades earlier.
Wired: I drove a Tesla Model 3. Here's What You Need to Know
This car feels like an automotive tipping point, a sign that electric vehicles—and hopefully, the infrastructure that supports them—have finally come into their own. Time will tell whether Musk & Co. can hit their deadlines and keep production lines humming—Elon Musk revealed Friday at the Model 3's coming out party that over half a million people have now plonked down $1,000 to reserve their own—but for now, it looks quite nice.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unfortunately, I'll either need to move, or hope there's some way to put charging stations in high rise condo building parking garages, before I can ever consider any kind of plug in car.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote:hope there's some way to put charging stations in high rise condo building parking garages
That's a thing, and not a particularly difficult one, at that (provided the garage wasn't built in 1950 and does have modern electrical behind it). Plenty of large garages have charging infrastructure in place. If you do want an EV, you may want to get on your condo association to see what you can finagle.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In another year when they have all the kinks worked out and people have had them for a while I might give it some serious consideration. It's exciting to think about, but I only somewhat regret skipping out on the pre-orders. I'll miss the tax credit which would drop me to the lower range, slower model which might make the decision for me. I have two personal friends that have (had) reservations. One put it towards a Model X a few months back and the other just announced he is moving his family to Mexico. I am not sure the Model 3 is still on his radar post-move.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote:
pr0ner wrote:hope there's some way to put charging stations in high rise condo building parking garages
That's a thing, and not a particularly difficult one, at that (provided the garage wasn't built in 1950 and does have modern electrical behind it). Plenty of large garages have charging infrastructure in place. If you do want an EV, you may want to get on your condo association to see what you can finagle.
I think it would be an issue for my building, since all spaces are already assigned, and I doubt the condo association would want to go through the legal wrangling to allow people who want electric cars to swap spaces.

Plus then you have to figure out how to run wires that don't already exist to both the charging station and the unit's electric meter. It seems overly complicated with the above ground garage that my building has.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All I'm saying is that in the general context of 'large above-ground garage having EV charging stations retrofitted', it's not a difficult problem in and of itself. I've used or personally seen dozens of large garages with retrofitted chargers. If your garage has particular issues that complicate things, then all bets are off. And in any case, it certainly requires the owner to be willing and wanting to get it done.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I would have never thought I'd buy a $50,000 car, but... I'm going to buy a $50,000 car.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote:I would have never thought I'd buy a $50,000 car, but... I'm going to buy a $50,000 car.

Given that my next car will be in excess of $30,000, without being a Tesla, it doesn't seem like a stretch. I'm not sold on Tesla being a cold weather car yet... and the wiring in my house being able to support the change and draw.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:I would have never thought I'd buy a $50,000 car, but... I'm going to buy a $50,000 car.

Given that my next car will be in excess of $30,000, without being a Tesla, it doesn't seem like a stretch. I'm not sold on Tesla being a cold weather car yet... and the wiring in my house being able to support the change and draw.
My 2009 Chrysler is approaching 100K miles and requiring more frequent repairs - if the timing works out I'm thinking the Model 3 will replace it. My only concern was making sure it has enough rear seat room (a common complaint about the Volt, my other replacement possibility) but several of the reviews indicate there is plenty of space back there.

I should probably put down my $1000 to get a place in line.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote:

The all-wheel drive is supposed to be amazing. People with just the rear wheel drive S think it works great.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog