tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: tesla motors

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:10 pm Side note: my wife, um. Well, she woke up a couple months ago saying maybe we should look at an X.

Then Tesla raised the range.

Then Tesla offered us significantly more than expected for our existing PHEV.

Then Tesla dropped the price on the X.

I'm toast.
Adios Volvo! Make sure you get her a P, just to be... safe?

My wife checked out the X, but the hatch is too low for the dog crates we use. Does the second row have removable seats? If we could just put a dog crate in there I think we would be fine. We never actually take her car with all four of us... though we might if it were a Tesla rather than a minivan that I refuse to drive.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:10 pm Side note: my wife, um. Well, she woke up a couple months ago saying maybe we should look at an X.
:think: Is this you being subtle? :think:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:30 pm Adios Volvo! Make sure you get her a P, just to be... safe?
Lolno. The price has come down, and the trade offer is good, but the X is still an expensive car. There will be no P in our future at this time.
My wife checked out the X, but the hatch is too low for the dog crates we use. Does the second row have removable seats? If we could just put a dog crate in there I think we would be fine. We never actually take her car with all four of us... though we might if it were a Tesla rather than a minivan that I refuse to drive.
Not removable, but 2nd and 3rd rows both fold flat.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:39 pm :think: Is this you being subtle? :think:
No, I'm not subtle at all. I've wanted one for awhile, which I'm sure surprises everyone here.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:41 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:39 pm :think: Is this you being subtle? :think:
No, I'm not subtle at all. I've wanted one for awhile, which I'm sure surprises everyone here.
So this isn't a drive-by announcement of a potential increase to the family that would necessitate a larger vehicle? (I may be reading into things.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:47 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:41 pm
So this isn't a drive-by announcement of a potential increase to the family that would necessitate a larger vehicle? (I may be reading into things.)
Or maybe it was her being subtle and Zax hasn't picked up on it yet. Have you been wondering about that weight she has been gaining?
Last edited by coopasonic on Wed May 22, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:47 pmSo this isn't a drive-by announcement of a potential increase to the family that would necessitate a larger vehicle? (I may be reading into things.)
Ha, wow. No, that insinuation went totally over my head. The car we're trading in is also a 7-seater, so the X is pretty much an even trade in terms of capacity. The main driver of the switch is our desire to finally kick gasoline to the curb. We've been working on that since 2006 when we got our first Prius (then a 2nd to replace a Camry, then this PHEV, then a Leaf, then the 3, and finally the X). Living in Colorado, one of the most EV-friendly states, has helped. We take road trips frequently, often with an extended family member or two. Now we'll be able to do that on electric rather than gas.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:51 pm Or maybe it was her being subtle and Zax hasn't picked up on it yet. Have you been wondering about that weight she has been gaining?
:shock:
raydude

Post by raydude »

Just wondering what folks thoughts were on this latest article on Tesla being doomed to fail.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

raydude wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:00 am Just wondering what folks thoughts were on this latest article on Tesla being doomed to fail.
I certainly agree with several of the article's assertions.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A partnership (acquisition) with someone that knows how to make cars probably wouldn't hurt too much. I mean other than the team they put together to figure out how to make the care require more maintenance. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think the article is a mix of the obvious (building a new company selling cars is difficult-to-impossible, Musk can be his own worst enemy, Tesla will not disappear as it's far too valuable at this stage) with the silly (Tesla needs to scale, also scaling is what's killing Tesla, ergo doomed from the outset so no need for the rest of the article).

The share price is in the shitter due to a mix of:

bad stuff outside of Tesla's control: China trade war on-again, off-again; seasonality of vehicle sales--Q1 sucked ass but was > 100% growth over Q1 2018).

and truly, epically, horrifically terrible execution lately: leaked S/X refresh well before it was ready to start taking orders, resulting in the order book collapsing for Q1; lack of any sort of consistent PR effort to counter the absolutely insane amount of bullshit that gets spewed about the company on a daily basis; pulling forward as much demand into Q4 2018 as they could in order to get buyers the most full US tax credits possible, leaving a gaping hole for Q1; botching the initial Model 3 European roll-out, leaving bunches of cars undelivered at the end of Q1; etc.

Combine these in a stew with the relentless FUD machine from short sellers (for a couple recent examples, see the prolific headlines suggesting that Musk said the company could run out of cash in 10 months [spoiler: not at all what he actually said], and that they're cost-cutting to the level of not buying toilet paper). Also analysts taking advantage of the headline-grabbing nature of Tesla (See Morgan Stanley's Adam Jonas putting out a report with a price range of $10 to $391). Total bullshit. You're left with a company that partially can't (due to loss of credibility) and partially won't (due to Musk's aversion to marketing/PR) defend itself.

At the end of the day we have a few objective facts:
  • Tesla makes the best electric vehicles, by a very wide margin. Recent competitors like the Audi e-Tron and Jaguar iPace are far inferior in significant measures. The established manufacturers behind them are also facing production issues as Tesla did. See Audi's recent 6-mo delay from confirmed delivery timing for early buyers for one example, and VW's mess from what initially seemed like a large and stable battery supply agreement. This could be expanded to simply 'Tesla makes the best vehicles,' something that I believe. But not everyone is on board with that assessment yet.
  • More and more locales are putting hard stops on ICE vehicle sales or entry into their borders. At this stage it's inevitable that all or virtually all vehicle production will go electric. That does not mean that Tesla will continue to lead the pack, but it does mean that Tesla has significant value as the clear leader in EV tech. Other manufacturers have to figure out how they will move to EVs while winding down their ICE production, which is a task that is far, far more difficult than the one Tesla faces. Virtually everyone else must simultaneously scale EV design/production while destroying the profitable portion of their business.
  • Tesla's got a huge lead on vehicle software. The S is seven years old next month and we *still* have zero competing vehicles capable of OTA-upgrading the entire software stack of the vehicle, much less also owning nearly the full hardware componentry (without owning the hardware, it's impossible to create the software stack advantages of Tesla since you don't have access to that level of development).
  • Tesla's the clear leader in plug-in sales in the US. That's not even a fair comparison since the majority of the non-Tesla vehicles in that chart have ICE engines, as well. They're making significant dents in Europe now, and the Shanghai factory coming online late this year or early next will help replicate that chart in China.
  • Tesla's got a huge lead on electric vehicle battery tech experience and ownership. Virtually all other manufacturers are using suppliers for their batteries, which has not worked out well for those companies thus far (see above with VW, also Audi's issues renegotiating with LG). Tesla also uses Panasonic as a supplier, but Tesla's designing the chemistry and houses most of Panasonic's production within Tesla's factory. Tesla also just bought Maxwell Technologies which should further reduce their battery cost via dry electrode tech in the near future.
  • Other manufacturers are having difficulties in the current macro environment, as well, only they are shrinking in volume rather than continuing to rise.
  • Other manufacturers without a plan to get emissions under control in the extremely near future are fucked and/or helping Tesla. See FCA's $1.8B agreement to pool European emissions credits with Tesla. Also see Renault/FCA talking merger.
  • Tesla's Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai will be the first wholly-foreign-owned vehicle manufacturing facility in China, which will greatly reduce the cost of Tesla vehicles in the China market (both from reduced tariffs and reduced labor/shipping/component costs). This will also finally help them smooth out delivery cadence both from a shipping perspective as well as not being reliant on a single factory for all of their vehicle production. This factory is going up at a crazy pace, as well.
  • Tesla was going to run out of cash years ago. They raised with no trouble. Then they were going to run out of cash fewer years ago. They raised with no trouble. Tesla was going to run out of cash due to the March bond payment. They paid it in cash after two profitable quarters. Then they were going to run out of cash earlier this spring. They raised > $2B in a couple of days. This won't continue forever, but they've shown no concrete signs yet that future raises are off the table. And this is without Musk yet having to call up any of his friends for direct investment. I'm aware that it's gotten close more than once. I'm not saying they can't hit a funding wall and end up acquired. I'm saying the fact that we constantly hear that it's coming doesn't mean that it's coming.
This all leaves out Tesla Energy completely, as well as the possible autonomy benefits of the new Autopilot computer.

None of this means that Tesla will survive as an independent entity, nor that the stock will recover to prior highs even if they do. But it does mean I see a glimmer of a chance that Tesla becomes the juggernaut that I hope they will.

So... Am I happy with the drop? No. Can I say that Tesla didn't deserve this haircut? No. The ATH stock price levels were based on a projected level of growth that Q1 blew the air out of. Toss on the sideshow antics from Musk with the SEC/'pedo guy' suits, macro environment, etc, and the air has continued to leak out. I think Q2 results will patch the hole to a certain degree, but I don't see TSLA approaching the ATH for quite some time. I'm certainly glad that I have been playing the volatility to sell high and buy back low, though I of course in retrospect wish I had done a lot more of that.

In short, the sheen has been blown off of the stock, but I am still very confident that the company's tech is head-and-shoulders above everyone else. I'm invested in the company with a very long time horizon and got in at a very low price, and I'm up close first-hand on a daily basis with their tech and the latest competition. It's therefore easier for me to see through the noise. Further, Tesla's a company that I personally want to see succeed, so Imma just gonna keep on holding. I would not recommend anyone who's not committed to head-down holding for a 5+ year time horizon getting in now, though.

In short, I am on the bus that Tasha Keeney is driving, though I think their $4k bull-case target is ridiculous. I also largely agree with 'Let's Go To YouTube Dude' Galileo Russell's ongoing thoughts, though I wince at his 'what up' delivery and general lack of any blame-placing on Tesla.

What would get me to change my tune: a competitor producing a vehicle with the same performance as a Tesla, at the same price point, with the same battery efficiency (this is key so that it's unlikely to be a simple loss-leading trophy car), similar or greater volume, and the same level of tech upgrade-ability. Or a three- or four-quarter drop-off in Tesla sales. Q1--while terrible compared to guidance--was, I think, largely a fluke combining the tax credit cliff, leaked S/X refresh info, seasonality of the industry, bad execution in Europe/China, and was still a ridiculous YoY rise of > 100%.

OK, that got far longer than intended, and likely doesn't flow well at all, but that's all the time I've got.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 am A partnership (acquisition) with someone that knows how to make cars probably wouldn't hurt too much. I mean other than the team they put together to figure out how to make the care require more maintenance. :P
Acquisition seems unlikely right now, their market cap is still $33B. Only a few weeks ago it was higher than Ford's.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sometimes I think Zaxxon may be more passionate about Tesla than I am.

I *love* my Model 3. I am absolutely an evangelist for the car. The company and its leader I am much less excited by.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:29 am
[*]Tesla's got a huge lead on vehicle software. The S is seven years old next month and we *still* have zero competing vehicles capable of OTA-upgrading the entire software stack of the vehicle, much less also owning nearly the full hardware componentry (without owning the hardware, it's impossible to create the software stack advantages of Tesla since you don't have access to that level of development).
Tesla takes a lot of risks on the software and hardware side. This gets them leaps and bounds ahead of the competition but also opens them up to quality issues and liability.

The stodgy old-school automakers are always slow to adopt new ideas and take risks.

Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages but history is littered with the former types of companies while all the big automakers are many decades, if not over a century, old.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:42 am Sometimes I think Zaxxon may be more passionate about Tesla than I am.
I mean, I periodically wash mine...
I *love* my Model 3. I am absolutely an evangelist for the car. The company and its leader I am much less excited by.
Musk is a mixed bag for me, too. On the one hand he can be a raging asshole. His pedo comments on the Thai rescue were obviously terrible. He's had enough incidents with employees that clearly he's not a fun guy to work for. And yet there are bunches of folks on the ground with him who love working at Musk-led ventures, as shit gets done that would never happen in other companies. I've had discussions with more than one person who's worked directly with Musk, and while those folks acknowledged that it's incredibly stressful and work-life balance sucks, no one has told me they regretted it.

I don't know if being a royal douchenozzle is a required attribute of someone who thinks like Musk does, but we as a civilization kind of need the guy to succeed right now, not just with Tesla but with SpaceX. So I would put it that I'm extremely excited by Tesla the company, and I'm behind Musk's goals. Certainly not a fan of all of his interpersonal interactions.

And despite the additional bullshit making the rounds lately, Musk actually takes zero salary and has earned zero of his current compensation package (the best-case of which is what gets talked about, while leaving out that it's tied to company goals which have not been achieved). This after investing his whole PayPal winnings in a rocket startup and electric vehicle startup. Dude puts his money where his mouth is.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:43 am Tesla takes a lot of risks on the software and hardware side. This gets them leaps and bounds ahead of the competition but also opens them up to quality issues and liability.

The stodgy old-school automakers are always slow to adopt new ideas and take risks.

Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages but history is littered with the former types of companies while all the big automakers are many decades, if not over a century, old.
True, of course. Also true of most established industries before they're disrupted. Which, again, does not mean Tesla will win out here, or even succeed long-term. But what you're saying here is similar to what was written about Amazon, about Apple, about Microsoft.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

It's weird to watch the stock drop and read all the negative stuff about Tesla out here where I live (Southern California). It's like Tesla city, particularly around the beach cities, with the sheer number of Model 3's seeming to have exploded the last 6 months. The other morning there were 3 of us stopped at a stoplight together (and no other cars). My complex, where there used to be maybe 2-3, there's now probably around 20 including all models. Since I bought my 3, two more people at work have bought one. I get stopped and asked about mine regularly, which has pretty much never happened to me with any car. I was at the mall on Monday and they've opened a little Tesla store inside the mall which had a bunch of foot traffic. No real point here, as I mentioned to my co-worker I guess we do kind of live in a bubble.

P.S. That submarine guy was a total pedo! :mrgreen: Just kidding lol
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

rittchard wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:32 pm It's weird to watch the stock drop and read all the negative stuff about Tesla out here where I live (Southern California). It's like Tesla city, particularly around the beach cities, with the sheer number of Model 3's seeming to have exploded the last 6 months.
In the past 3 years, I've gone from seeing them twice a year, to once a month, and now up to once a week! I still can go several months without encountering a public charging station (and even then they are invariably vacant). And I'm still considered to be in the metro area of a very large city. That their "explosions" remain rather localized could be another part of their problem.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am

True, of course. Also true of most established industries before they're disrupted. Which, again, does not mean Tesla will win out here, or even succeed long-term. But what you're saying here is similar to what was written about Amazon, about Apple, about Microsoft.
Tesla isn't disruptive. It's revolutionary in making cars but it's still making cars.

I guess the eliminating the dealer model is kind of disruptive but I don't think anyone believes that's the thing that sets Tesla apart.

I need a few years of model 3s in the wild to even consider TSLA. To me the S is largely proven, not sure about the X, assume so but I've never driven one. The 3 seems like a grab at volume and I'm not sold on how it will work out.

Need to see if it'll end up being an Camry or a Cimarron.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm Tesla isn't disruptive. It's revolutionary in making cars but it's still making cars.
Uhh, that's one viewpoint. Amazon was just selling widgets. Microsoft just wrote software. Apple just made a phone. Others were doing all of those things long before Amazon/MS/Apple came along. They just did it in a shittier way from the customer's perspective. (Microsoft's eventual slide into consumer disdain notwithstanding--a large part of what made them disruptive initially was focusing on the user experience, and on changing the sales paradigm.) All three of those companies were IMO disruptive in large part for the same reasons Tesla is--rapid innovation, customer focus, and owning the revenue stream directly.
I guess the eliminating the dealer model is kind of disruptive but I don't think anyone believes that's the thing that sets Tesla apart.
Yes, that's a part of it, IMO. Tesla also owns the whole software stack, which no other automaker does. They own most of the hardware stack, too. They provide their own fueling infrastructure both on the road and at the cusomter's home. Etc.
I need a few years of model 3s in the wild to even consider TSLA.
Totally fair.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:25 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm Tesla isn't disruptive. It's revolutionary in making cars but it's still making cars.
Uhh, that's one viewpoint. Amazon was just selling widgets. Microsoft just wrote software. Apple just made a phone. Others were doing all of those things long before Amazon/MS/Apple came along. They just did it in a shittier way from the customer's perspective. (Microsoft's eventual slide into consumer disdain notwithstanding--a large part of what made them disruptive initially was focusing on the user experience, and on changing the sales paradigm.) All three of those companies were IMO disruptive in large part for the same reasons Tesla is--rapid innovation, customer focus, and owning the revenue stream directly.
Microsoft put computers into peoples' homes. Or at least they made it possible. Amazon sold widgets...on the internet. Apple was a marketing breakthrough (I'd argue that they weren't "disruptive", just excellent marketers).

Tesla is not disruptive. At least not at this scale. If they can get big, maybe.

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:25 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm I guess the eliminating the dealer model is kind of disruptive but I don't think anyone believes that's the thing that sets Tesla apart.
Yes, that's a part of it, IMO. Tesla also owns the whole software stack, which no other automaker does. They own most of the hardware stack, too. They provide their own fueling infrastructure both on the road and at the cusomter's home. Etc.
All of which they need to scale up in order to succeed. That's the main headwind. Owning the whole vertical is great when you have 20%, 30%+ market share. Until then it's a burden.

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

You'd think whatever company is doing "this" https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/04/ ... ive-weeks/ would be interesting from an investor point of view? :think:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

em2nought wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:09 pm You'd think whatever company is doing "this" https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/04/ ... ive-weeks/ would be interesting from an investor point of view? :think:
Probably not if it's a publicly traded Chinese company. They are notoriously unregulated financially. ADRs are only slightly better.

MYT
raydude

Post by raydude »

On a separate note, it hit close to 90 deg today and is expected to do so again tomorrow. Got in the car and it was pretty hot and steering wheel was too hot to touch. Anyone have any suggestions for sun shades for the Model 3?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't use one and have never had it be that hot where I couldn't touch the wheel, but I'm also in Colorado.

Pre-cooling the car for even 60 seconds makes a big difference, too.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Saw a guy on the Price is Right win a Tesla today. Must have been a cheap one as it was some $51,000.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 pm Saw a guy on the Price is Right win a Tesla today. Must have been a cheap one as it was some $51,000.
51k could be a loaded SR+ (standard (short!) range plus) or a base LR AWD (long range all wheel drive/dual motor), both model 3s.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:43 am The stodgy old-school automakers are always slow to adopt new ideas and take risks.
Ford have been working on EVs forever. They were also early to the market with hyrbrids and were leading for a bit. Then all of their promises went *poof* with profitability in SUVs and gas prices coming back down.

The OEMs are all surprisingly "agile" given the complexity and safety requirements of what they do but given their size simply can't do what Tesla does. What gives me hope for Ford and their nigh on 20 years of dropping the ball while Tesla grows and GM gaffs while others experiments, is their new partnership with Rivian. Rivian is agile. Rivian can't fall back on SUVs when gas prices are good or open and close plants on 10 year cycles and they don't have departments aggregating 1000's who get paid to have input on sales and engineering on micro scales. If done right, this could be a great paring and could save Ford from its failure to advance, spending their R&D on self driving rather than EVolution of the automobile.
Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am True, of course. Also true of most established industries before they're disrupted. Which, again, does not mean Tesla will win out here, or even succeed long-term. But what you're saying here is similar to what was written about Amazon, about Apple, about Microsoft.
I don't think of Apple and MS as disruptive. Apple weren't even the first to regular internet phone which is what rebuilt the company. Handspring were the disrupters, then they didn't take the next step in creating an environment and supporting it.

Amazon are this go to every one uses for everything. I think you are more thinking of Nikon vs Kodak and how one embraced the digital camera and the other didn't. Or the hosts of software companies rejecting the way things have always been done. Like how Waze rejected the traffic trackers and the traffic trackers rejected crowd sourcing data to track traffic.
I think they are. They will live and die by the EV that no one else had fully committed to and yet everyone has taken notice without embracing. I don't know if they will succeed but they are definitely disrupters. The EV is a disruption to the petrol economy. You're focusing on the car. Cars aren't going away in the immediate future. Petrol cars today will be like Regular cars in the 80s. Failure to adapt will be failure to be viable.

The thing with Tesla is, they don't sell them for profit. Facebook and Instagam don't have supply chains and sell you things. Musk is a software/service guy making things. Until he finds a way make building things cheaper or sell a more expensive product, he's still fighting an uphill battle or funding by releasing more stock. That's where I'm not pulling the trigger on investing.

OTOH, if I had a tiny bit more income and house better suited to provide electric to my car, I'd think about buying one. His lack of profit margin translates to good consumer value... assuming I don't have to buy into a SaaS agreement for my car.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Minor subject shift, just got another update last night. Supposedly the visualization was improved. I noticed it does zoom in and out now and there seems to be more color indicators when you get close to something. It all sounds pretty good/useful. The funny thing is it gets kind of distracting because I keep looking over at it when I probably should be watching the road lol. I did notice a weird thing though where when I was stopped it kept showing a couple of cars shaking back and forth even though they were also stopped.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

rittchard wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:36 pm Minor subject shift, just got another update last night. Supposedly the visualization was improved. I noticed it does zoom in and out now and there seems to be more color indicators when you get close to something. It all sounds pretty good/useful.
The coolest part about this IMO is that it also adds weather effects (it'll rain on the avatar of your car if it's raining, etc), and
the head/tail light status is accurate, too. I did notice a weird thing though where when I was stopped it kept showing a couple of cars shaking back and forth even though they were also stopped.
I've seen that, too. Seems pretty common. Hopefully they work that out. Seems to just be a visualization issue not impacting what the car itself sees, though, as I've done stuff like use Autopark while the cars nearby are doing that, and it parks just fine between them.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Another total side note, wtf is up with the Model 3 Key Fob always being "sold out"?????

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/ve ... y-fob.html

Even if it's a 10 week lead time at least let me put my order in, you idiots!!! LOL
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

rittchard wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:16 pm Another total side note, wtf is up with the Model 3 Key Fob always being "sold out"?????

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/ve ... y-fob.html

Even if it's a 10 week lead time at least let me put my order in, you idiots!!! LOL
Speaking from the other side of that coin, last fall I ordered the winter wheel/tire set. Like 10 weeks later I finally canceled the order and bought from someone locally. The Tesla shop seems to have gotten much better about this in recent months, where they will only let you order something they can reasonably ship in a few days' time.

Also, make sure you're aware that the 3 fob does not support passive entry. IMO, this make it pretty useless but I get that some people don't like the phone key/keycards.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Mom leaves kid in tesla, happens to start it and pins mom against garage. Mom's sues Tesla because she left kid unattended in car. Someone is trying to get the tesla paid off...

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/calif ... Sqvm0BnXCE
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

naednek wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 pm Mom's sues Tesla because she left kid unattended in car. Someone is trying to get the tesla paid off...

Harcourt said in the statement that her 3-day-old Tesla was parked in her driveway with the engine off, and she left the falcon doors open as she got her toddler and some groceries out of the car.

As she walked toward her garage, her 2-year-old son ran back toward the car, hopped into the driver’s seat, and began driving the 5,500-pound SUV toward her just as she was calling him to come back, according to the statement.
If you believe her account, she didn't leave the kid unattended in the car, she left the doors open and he ran into the car. That's a bit different than leaving the kid in the car all alone.

Don't they have cameras? Should be fairly easy to verify.

MYT
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:55 am
naednek wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 pm Mom's sues Tesla because she left kid unattended in car. Someone is trying to get the tesla paid off...

Harcourt said in the statement that her 3-day-old Tesla was parked in her driveway with the engine off, and she left the falcon doors open as she got her toddler and some groceries out of the car.

As she walked toward her garage, her 2-year-old son ran back toward the car, hopped into the driver’s seat, and began driving the 5,500-pound SUV toward her just as she was calling him to come back, according to the statement.
If you believe her account, she didn't leave the kid unattended in the car, she left the doors open and he ran into the car. That's a bit different than leaving the kid in the car all alone.

How is this Tesla's fault?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
stessier

Post by stessier »

He shouldn't have been able to get it in gear without his foot (or something) on the break.

Edit: Huh, after reading the article - yeah, that's not Tesla's fault. The car acted correctly - the kid just managed to hit the lottery with the way he wedged himself in there.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As stated in the article, I don't see how Tesla could be at fault. However, I have met people who have sued and won or settled for stupider things. My ex studied with a guy getting a free ride through life because they packed nine people into a Festiva, he jammed against a manual release for the hatch and fell out of a moving vehicle.

As stated, what is the safety feature she is expecting for her 5,500 pound moving machine that she allowed her toddler to learn how to operate and left for her toddler to tamper with?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Engine? Lies!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:09 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:55 am

How is this Tesla's fault?
Where did I say it was Tesla's fault? I just refuted the claim that she left a kid unattended in the car.

Is there grounds for a lawsuit? Probably. Still doesn't make it Tesla's fault.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

In other news, Tesla appears to have finally fixed their (IMO) somewhat sleazy display of price vs price after some nebulous savings that may or may not apply to everyone:

Enlarge Image
(The old view was what is now called 'include potential savings,' and the actual price was shown at the bottom only.)