Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Drazzil

Re: tesla motors

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:15 pm
Drazzil wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:09 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:55 am
naednek wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:25 pm Mom's sues Tesla because she left kid unattended in car. Someone is trying to get the tesla paid off...

Harcourt said in the statement that her 3-day-old Tesla was parked in her driveway with the engine off, and she left the falcon doors open as she got her toddler and some groceries out of the car.

As she walked toward her garage, her 2-year-old son ran back toward the car, hopped into the driver’s seat, and began driving the 5,500-pound SUV toward her just as she was calling him to come back, according to the statement.
If you believe her account, she didn't leave the kid unattended in the car, she left the doors open and he ran into the car. That's a bit different than leaving the kid in the car all alone.

Don't they have cameras? Should be fairly easy to verify.
How is this Tesla's fault?
Where did I say it was Tesla's fault? I just refuted the claim that she left a kid unattended in the car.

Is there grounds for a lawsuit? Probably. Still doesn't make it Tesla's fault.
Can Tesla be held responsible if kid drives her car into her? Was the car suppose to be fingerprinted to her? Was there some sort of potential security system or ignition failure that led to this?

How does Tesla differ from a Ford car or a Nissan or someodd duch? I'm certain that theres established case law regarding this sort of situation with gas combustion cars?

All I see is an accident that can't possibly be laid at the feet of T.

PS: Lawbeef; I'm sorry if I misread the situation. I really didn't mean to imply you were defending the womans lawsuit.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Apparently it's not just the damned dirty liberal hippies that like Tesla...

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:58 am Apparently it's not just the damned dirty liberal hippies that like Tesla...

It's a wee bit over the top in the second half, but I appreciate the sentiment and the effort.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:04 am
Zaxxon wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:58 am Apparently it's not just the damned dirty liberal hippies that like Tesla...

It's a wee bit over the top in the second half, but I appreciate the sentiment and the effort.
Definitely over the top, also at the beginning with the 'LOOKAH MAH GUNS BRO!' But I appreciated the core of his diatribe.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This belongs anywhere but in an EV thread but I put it here because of keyless car operation deaths

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 419233001/
In February, a proposed law dubbed the PARK IT Act was introduced in the U.S. Senate. A House version was introduced June 6.

The name stands for Protecting Americans from the Risk of Keyless Technology. It seeks the following:

That automakers be required to provide an automatic shutoff for keyless internal combustion engines when the car has been idling for a designated period of time.
That carmakers add an anti-roll-away feature to immobilize a car if a driver exits it, but leaves it in gear.
It mandates that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issue rules within two years of the law's passage.

Since 2005, 37 people have died by unknowingly leaving their vehicles running in their attached garage, according to data from Safety Research & Strategies Inc., which specializes in car safety.

For 2012-14, NHTSA data show that 142 people died in roll-away accidents, though it's not clear how many of those involved keyless vehicles.

The technology already exists to do what the bill asks, said Sean Kane, president of Safety Research & Strategies. Auto shutoffs have been used by some carmakers since 2012 on keyless ignition vehicles. Automatic anti-rollaway features have been available on electric parking brakes since 2003 and automatic park engagement on vehicles with electronic shifters since at least 2013, he said.

The cost for automakers to add safety technology to vehicles would be nominal, said Kane.
Tyler Durden Quote about Actuaries and recalls here.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

After my wife clipped the bottom of the garage door with the top of the car exiting the garage before the door was fully up, I made sure she understood in no uncertain terms that if the car is in the garage, the door remote is NEVER to be used. I'm not sure why they can't use similar technology in garage door remotes to the tech that prevents keys from getting locked in the door.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:25 pm This belongs anywhere but in an EV thread but I put it here because of keyless car operation deaths

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 419233001/
In February, a proposed law dubbed the PARK IT Act was introduced in the U.S. Senate. A House version was introduced June 6.

The name stands for Protecting Americans from the Risk of Keyless Technology. It seeks the following:

That automakers be required to provide an automatic shutoff for keyless internal combustion engines when the car has been idling for a designated period of time.
That carmakers add an anti-roll-away feature to immobilize a car if a driver exits it, but leaves it in gear.
It mandates that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issue rules within two years of the law's passage.

Since 2005, 37 people have died by unknowingly leaving their vehicles running in their attached garage, according to data from Safety Research & Strategies Inc., which specializes in car safety.

For 2012-14, NHTSA data show that 142 people died in roll-away accidents, though it's not clear how many of those involved keyless vehicles.

The technology already exists to do what the bill asks, said Sean Kane, president of Safety Research & Strategies. Auto shutoffs have been used by some carmakers since 2012 on keyless ignition vehicles. Automatic anti-rollaway features have been available on electric parking brakes since 2003 and automatic park engagement on vehicles with electronic shifters since at least 2013, he said.

The cost for automakers to add safety technology to vehicles would be nominal, said Kane.
Tyler Durden Quote about Actuaries and recalls here.
Yeah totally wrong thread for a law applying to ICE vehicles. Also, Teslas will put themselves in park if you open the door while the car is not moving (I am not 100% sure on the criteria here, but it has done it on my behalf at least once).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:42 pmTeslas will put themselves in park if you open the door while the car is not moving (I am not 100% sure on the criteria here, but it has done it on my behalf at least once).
I believe it's if you open the door and either unbuckle or the seat no longer detects your ass, it's park time.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, is that... Bob L... Bob Lu... Bob Lutz complimenting Tesla in Road & Track today?

Imma gonna fetch the fainting couch.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Simone Giertz remains awesome.

Embed:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

rittchard wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:16 pm Another total side note, wtf is up with the Model 3 Key Fob always being "sold out"?????

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/ve ... y-fob.html

Even if it's a 10 week lead time at least let me put my order in, you idiots!!! LOL
Breaking News!! I was finally able to order a Model 3 key fob, hooray!!!!!

And now back to your regularly scheduled actually relevant discussion topics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rittchard wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:18 pm Breaking News!! I was finally able to order a Model 3 key fob, hooray!!!!!
Talk to you in September when you get it. :D

Did we ever talk about why you wanted one?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:40 pmTalk to you in September when you get it. :D
Amazingly, the Tesla shop has been much better to me lately. I've ordered a fob cover, paint kit, two separate UMC adapters, floor mats, and HPWC in the past couple of months. All shipped within a few days and arrived a few days later. With tracking info. One item was out of stock, but had an 'email me when back' option. I used it and... they emailed me a few days later? I then placed the order. What a crazy concept, Tesla!

Still sucks that you can't see a list of your open orders/order history on the site, tho.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm on hold right now because my glove box won't stay closed. Some other people got this fixed by a mobile service call. I can hope...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:55 pm I'm on hold right now because my glove box won't stay closed. Some other people got this fixed by a mobile service call. I can hope...
Good luck. I have a friend with a P3D who got his car before they were including the underline in the badging. He got his badging this weekend... And mobile service has to come out to install it.

In other news: Tesla, the only EV that you don't have to stop driving to charge...

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Tesla roof version 3 costs now on parity with cheap newly installed shingles if energy savings are factored in
https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/11/tesla ... -8-states/

He says cheap tile, but I think he meant shingle? I don't think there are any cheap tile roofs. lol
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

shingles are more aesthetically pleasing than solar panels? Is that true? :oops:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:40 pm
rittchard wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:18 pm Breaking News!! I was finally able to order a Model 3 key fob, hooray!!!!!
Talk to you in September when you get it. :D

Did we ever talk about why you wanted one?
Have you seen it?? It's so cute and black and shiny and it looks like a tiny Model 3!!!! :dance:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So we did a thing.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This guy has gone on to make multiple additional well-done (IMO) videos. He's focused on Tesla, but aside from the safety one they really apply to EVs in general.

Also, Beach Buggy 2 is actually pretty good. My girls (ahem) have put several hours into it already.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:24 am Also, Beach Buggy 2 is actually pretty good. My girls (ahem) have put several hours into it already.
Are you... I mean they using a controller? I can't imagine grinding my tires for it... though somehow the front tires have way more tread than the rears... odd. I basically only actually play 2048 in the car when I am waiting for something.

Also I love the Fourth of July themed shots, but having some chrome delete cars mixed in is distracting. I thought about asking for a high res version for my desktop, but couldn't decide which one I would use... then again I have three desktops at work so I guess I could use them all!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:31 pm Are you... I mean they using a controller? I can't imagine grinding my tires for it... though somehow the front tires have way more tread than the rears... odd. I basically only actually play 2048 in the car when I am waiting for something.
Screen controls. I tried the wheel once and saw a little rubber on the ground. Not worth it to me.
Also I love the Fourth of July themed shots, but having some chrome delete cars mixed in is distracting. I thought about asking for a high res version for my desktop, but couldn't decide which one I would use... then again I have three desktops at work so I guess I could use them all!
Let me tell you that arranging 47 Teslas into one lot simultaneously was difficult enough without worrying about who had what aftermarket alterations. :)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Speaking of aftermarket alterations, the Tesla mobile service guy came out today and replaced my glove box with an improved design that should stay shut. I'm actually glad this happened so I don't have a problem down the road (literally!).
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hot off the presses, Model 3 is now dominating the Euro NCAP safety testing.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Had a strange glitch yesterday after leaving my Model 3 baking in the sun in the airport parking lot. My navigation screen kept switching the music station and cranking the volume to 11.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For $2,000, I’ll build you one that goes to 12.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'll do it for $1k.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Two Teslas? Quadruple-digit miles in SW Colorado and Utah? Let's give it a shot....

@Durango, CO
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:41 pm Had a strange glitch yesterday after leaving my Model 3 baking in the sun in the airport parking lot. My navigation screen kept switching the music station and cranking the volume to 11.
Is your car named Christine?
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:59 am
Jaymann wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:41 pm Had a strange glitch yesterday after leaving my Model 3 baking in the sun in the airport parking lot. My navigation screen kept switching the music station and cranking the volume to 11.
Is your car named Christine?
Nobody in their right mind would use that name on a vehicle with autonomous capabilities... Of course that leaves people who are not in their right mind. :o
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ford is at least getting real with the gimmick demos (not throwing stones--Tesla towed a 787 Dreamliner back in the day).
Hopefully in 2-3 years this will be a real thing, with a more realistic yet still very high tow rating:

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ford has been demoing EV ideas for decades. Call me when they are tooling and building a supply chain. I am throwing stones. I'm a share holder watching the value of my investment shrink. I've been supporting Ford getting off their ass and moving forward with EVs ever since the hybrid Escape was released. This was a legit move for them. Before and after, they have made an early right move and then changed direction before that move becomes a meaningful right move. I'm all about their partnerships with Rivian and VW. Well, sort of about VW... But they need to put up and then stick to it for a bit. They have literally spend billions and then, meh...

(Also, as I noted, maybe in the OOIC thread?, developing EVs for weight pulling should be an EV strength. EVs store energy to stop weight. ICE vehicles release release energy to stop weight. The amount of space needed for the fuel and engine needed to for more towing power should be counteracted easily by the space needed for a more powerful electric generator.) And the desire to sell these high weight high weight towing vehicles should be high. Their very strength breaks the method used for evaluating compliance to CAFE in the US and the Carbon Tax in Europe.

(Strong edit after reading Zax quote me. My LordMortis translator must be broken)
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I don't know of Ford's electric pickup trucks will be better than Tesla's but pretty sure they will be first to mass market.

I fear some kind of Luddite/MAGA backlash but if either/both of the trucks perform it'll sort itself out.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:55 pm Ford had demoing EV ideas for decades. Call me when they are tooling and building a supply chain. I am throwing stones. I'm a share holder watching the value of my investment shrink. I've been supporting Ford getting off their ass and moving forward since the hybrid Escape was released and was a legit move for them. They have made a right early move and then changed direction before it comes to meaningful right move. I'm all about their partnerships with Rivian and VW. Well, sort of about VW... But put up and then stick to it for a bit.

(Also, as I noted, maybe in the OOIC thread?, developing EVs for weight pulling should be an EV strength. EVs store energy to stop weight. ICE vehicles release it. The amount of space needed for fuel and engine needed to for more tow should be counteracted easily by the space needed for a more powerful electric generator.) And the desire to sell these vehicles should be high. Their very strength breaks the method for CAFE in the US and the Carbon Tax in Europe.
Tell us what you really think. :) FWIW, I agree with you, and about more than just Ford. But I try to give the benefit of the doubt since my immediate reaction is generally to recall just how many long-range EV 'Tesla killers' have been just around the corner for the past decade. Zero have come to volume production.

Hopefully we're finally approaching the point where someone other than Tesla makes a good EV at scale. I'm confident that having Rivian working with Ford will help, assuming Ford is genuinely serious about beginning to transition.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:59 pmI fear some kind of Luddite/MAGA backlash but if either/both of the trucks perform it'll sort itself out.
There should be zero doubt that both will demolish ICE-powered pickups in pull power & load capacity. Neither is going to be rated to actually pull a million pounds not connected to a rail track, but beating, say, the F-450 Super Duty's 21k lb conventional rating shouldn't be that difficult.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This woman couldn't wait,so she modded a Model 3 into a pickup truck.

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Some people have a lot of money or the ability to monetize tampering with possessions that cost a lot of money.

I am not either of those people. The idea of modding a $30,000 (or considerably more) thing is just not in my reality.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:07 pm Some people have a lot of money or the ability to monetize tampering with possessions that cost a lot of money.

I am not either of those people. The idea of modding a $30,000 (or considerably more) thing is just not in my reality.
The video is closing in on 10M views. She's earned far more in ad bucks than the car cost. Pretty sure the folks who helped her out did it gratis in return for the ability to get exposure and additional views on their own channels with related vids.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

She said in the video she financed the Tesla, so the mod was totally illegal. I suppose by now she can buy her way out of that. I also watched her TED talk on useless inventions (like the alarm clock that slaps you awake).
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Given that she makes ~$12k-55k a month from Patreon alone, and apparently at least $13k/month from YouTube, I think she'll be ok with the Tesla cost.

(Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea how reliable those estimates are, but she's pretty high up on the "Internet Famous" chart, for what it's worth.)