tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Re: tesla motors

Post by Moliere »

Tesla semi truck.
The truck is quick, too: Musk said it would go from zero to 60 in five seconds without a load, or zero to 60 in 20 seconds with an 80,000-pound load. The ride should also be much smoother, he added, since you don’t have to shift gears—a clunky, grinding process in older semis. Tesla will put the Semi’s four independent motors to use in an advanced traction control system that Musk claimed will make jackknifing “impossible.”

In the long run, the big selling points will likely be the fuel savings and Tesla’s autopilot technology, which could be especially valuable to long-haul truckers. (In the long run, there are concerns it will replace them entirely, but the technology for that is not yet ready, and no one can say with confidence when it will be.) Whether that’s enough to convince truck companies to buy in, we’ll see. The cost equation matters a lot more to a commercial trucking enterprise than it does to the average well-to-do Model S buyer. But if it does pencil out, it’s easy to imagine the Tesla Semi capturing significant market share. (Tesla didn’t announce the semi’s price, but is already taking reservations for a $5,000 deposit. Production begins in 2019.)
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, a new Roadster that does 0-60 in 1.9s. For 'only' $200k.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 pm Also, a new Roadster that does 0-60 in 1.9s. For 'only' $200k.
Hello? That's why you finance! With a 5 year loan at 3% interest, the roadster is yours for only $3,600 a month.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:40 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 pm Also, a new Roadster that does 0-60 in 1.9s. For 'only' $200k.
Hello? That's why you finance! With a 5 year loan at 3% interest, the roadster is yours for only $3,600 a month.
And you can get a Founder's Edition for only a $250,000 3-year interest-free loan to Tesla.

Really, I think the point of this car is to provide something that is physically impossible for any internal-combustion engine vehicle to compete with, at that price. They won't sell a whole bunch of them, but with that gigantic battery it shouldn't have the track issues that the current-gen vehicles have, and it does < 2 seconds while seating four and with room for luggage. Sheesh.

And it takes the roadmapped vehicles from established manufacturers who were 'gearing up' to attack Tesla and deadpools them all. Porsche Mission E is their electric crown jewel, coming in 2019 with half the range of the Roadster and 0-60 in nearly twice the time (albeit cheaper than the Roadster but also slower than the 2017 Model S)? Who's excited about that now?
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Thanks for reminding me I need to win the lottery.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Any chance we can fix one problem before starting two more?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

As soon as nine women learn how to gestate a baby in one month.

Tesla's got their hands full with the Model 3, for sure. But that's no reason to put blinders on in a company of 30,000+.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:42 pm As soon as nine women learn how to gestate a baby in one month.

Tesla's got their hands full with the Model 3, for sure. But that's no reason to put blinders on in a company of 30,000+.
If you say so. They've got a lot going on internally with UAW and racism charges.

I still have my deposit down, but I'm starting to listen to the people that think Musk is a bit of a scam artist.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The UAW interest & recent attempted 'class action' racism suit with a class size of one by an attorney with a history of similar shenanigans are a lot more agenda-driven than fair and accurate, from what I've read. The company has some growing up to do, for sure. That somewhat comes with the territory when growing at the rate they have been. And Musk has always given timelines that are at best highly unlikely of being hit without at least one delay. But if you read up on Musk's history and motivations with an open mind, it's pretty tough (IMO) to come out thinking that his desire at Tesla and SpaceX is anything but genuine.

If nothing else, he sure could have made out like a bandit with a lot less risk by investing his PayPal lotto ticket in something other than rockets and electric cars.

I think prior discussions have established that I'm a lot more bullish on Tesla than most here, so I'll bow out with 'we shall see.'
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm The UAW interest & recent attempted 'class action' racism suit with a class size of one by an attorney with a history of similar shenanigans are a lot more agenda-driven than fair and accurate, from what I've read.
I was bothered as much by the tone deaf response as the accusation.
The company has some growing up to do, for sure. That somewhat comes with the territory when growing at the rate they have been. And Musk has always given timelines that are at best highly unlikely of being hit without at least one delay. But if you read up on Musk's history and motivations with an open mind, it's pretty tough (IMO) to come out thinking that his desire at Tesla and SpaceX is anything but genuine.

If nothing else, he sure could have made out like a bandit with a lot less risk by investing his PayPal lotto ticket in something other than rockets and electric cars.

I think prior discussions have established that I'm a lot more bullish on Tesla than most here, so I'll bow out with 'we shall see.'
Probably. That's why I'm still in (and an investor). But I'm paying closer attention.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I find the semi much more interesting. A fully electric semi with the specs put forward is pretty damn amazing. I wonder how long it takes to recharge the batteries after those 500 miles are used up?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:03 pmBut I'm paying closer attention.
I'm with you there. And I guess I didn't actually bow out. Shame on me.
Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:12 pm I wonder how long it takes to recharge the batteries after those 500 miles are used up?
30 minutes at a Megacharger to add back 80% (400 mi), if you take the promises at face value. That implies something like a 1.6MW charge rate. Whether they can actually achieve that at the promised $0.07/kWh by 2019 we shall see. The implication for any sort of high-use charging station scenario would be a very large amount of solar and power packs to minimize peak use charges from the local grid operator. So large that i'm not sure that I see how they can do it on the timeline promised at the scale promised (ie not just a few ideal sites, but something resembling wide access).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope they can do it because Walmart just ordered 15 trucks.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
mori

Post by mori »

Tesla is going out of business. Everyone knows that Bob Lutz is full of hot air but he does bring up some interesting points.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

mori wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:17 pm Tesla is going out of business. Everyone knows that Bob Lutz is full of hot air but he does bring up some interesting points.
If Tesla is not doing anything that GM can't do, then why aren't they doing it?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Truck drivers everywhere are looking forward to the day that they don't have to "hold it" until the next truck stop. Imagine being able to take a dump while your truck continues driving down the road for you. :ninja:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
mori

Post by mori »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:28 pm
mori wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:17 pm Tesla is going out of business. Everyone knows that Bob Lutz is full of hot air but he does bring up some interesting points.
If Tesla is not doing anything that GM can't do, then why aren't they doing it?
Because they do not want to lose money? :confusion-shrug: It is just a thing that popped up on my feed.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lutz has been predicting Tesla's imminent doom for a decade. One of these days he may have a useful thought, but I haven't heard one from him in some time.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's not like I have any skin in the game, but if I did I'd bet it on Elon Musk over the guy whose company took a gazillion-dollar government loan.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

This isn't a Tesla thing, but since this is our de-facto EV thread...

New UCS report shows that driving an EV is cheaper than a gasoline vehicle in all 50 states.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:08 pm This isn't a Tesla thing, but since this is our de-facto EV thread...

New UCS report shows that driving an EV is cheaper than a gasoline vehicle in all 50 states.
Ha. So I live in the city with the cheapest gas....
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, they do make it pretty close to there.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster is going to Mars
It really is Mars or bust for Elon Musk. The billionaire says he's going to launch his own Tesla Roadster on the first test flight of SpaceX's new giant rocket next month, and the car will play David Bowie's "Space Oddity" full blast on the way to Mars (if the rocket doesn't explode during liftoff).
:pop:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Here's the car that (one hopes) is going to Mars.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

A friend of mine had his Tesla hit by another driver back in December. He expecting it back in mid March.

I guess there's only one certified body shop in the city and he's in line with all the other Tesla owners to get work done.

The total is around for the Tesla repair alone is $20k. The other driver of course had state minimum coverage ($25k). So not enough to cover the damage plus 3 months of rental, nevermind the ~$10k instant depreciation from the accident. And nevermind medical.

Cost and time in the shop isn't something I had thought of.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, that sucks.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The other driver listed her occupation as "Uber driver." Of course she claims she wasn't on the clock but attorneys are getting involved and Uber records are getting requested. If her app was on, Uber is on the hook.

But really, he just wants his car back. He was lamenting how bad his commute sucks now in a "regular car."
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

With that said, there are many approved body shops in the Chicagoland area, including 3 in the city itself: Linky.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 am With that said, there are many approved body shops in the Chicagoland area, including 3 in the city itself: Linky.
Interesting.

But only two of those are actually in Chicago. One is like 7700 south so that's a no go. Oak Park, Morton Grove, doable I guess but certainly not convenient.

I don't know the details but I think the nature the repairs limited the choice as well.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

My guess is the limitation is parts availability from Tesla. They've been remarkably bad at that for a few years now. Hopefully it's something they sort out as volumes continue to increase.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Parts are expected this month I think.

MYT
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm surprised a company like Tesla doesn't give him a loaner Tesla for while he's waiting for the repair.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 am I'm surprised a company like Tesla doesn't give him a loaner Tesla for while he's waiting for the repair.
They typically do this for 'normal' repairs (eg the Tesla itself failed and the car is in with Tesla for service) but not for body shop repairs.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, from what I understand, Tesla handles non-collision related battery/motor/etc issues but not collision related work. So for body work you're working with the body shop and not Tesla, so yiu get whatever the body shop provides.

MYT
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 am The other driver listed her occupation as "Uber driver." Of course she claims she wasn't on the clock but attorneys are getting involved and Uber records are getting requested. If her app was on, Uber is on the hook.
Is this accurate? I thought uber drivers weren't considered employees of Uber?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Got to drive a Model 3 today. I believe I will get me one of these.

It drives like a mini Model S, with all the pep of an early P85 RWD model. Screen is much higher-res than the S/X and more responsive, too.

Me likey.ImageImageImage
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zax, you currently have a Bolt or Leaf, right? How does battery capacity fare when temps get really low?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I think it turns into a superconductor.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter