[magic] How does this work?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Green Giant

[magic] How does this work?

Post by Green Giant »

http://www.caveofmagic.com/zickcrd1.htm

Its an online magic trick I found. You are supposed to pick a card and concentrate on it. Then on the next page whisper it out loud. Thenafter you click to go to the next page the card you picked out and whispered outloud is gone.

This is blowing my mind. I hae tried it multiple times and it works every time no matter what card is picked. At first I thought maybe I was subconciously moving the cursor over the card I picked but that isn't it.

How does this work?
Batman: "Nobody wants war."
Robin: "Gee, Batman. Belgravia's such a small country. We'd beat them in a few hours."
Batman: "Yes, and then we'd have to support them for years."

The timeless wisdom of Batman
Snow

Post by Snow »

Take a closer look at the first set of cards versus the last set ;)
Lars

Post by Lars »

Of course! How stupid can you be, Green Giant!

edited: because I don't like looking stupid. I mean, edited for spelling or something.
Green Giant

Post by Green Giant »

Snow wrote:Take a closer look at the first set of cards versus the last set ;)
Nice. :D
Batman: "Nobody wants war."
Robin: "Gee, Batman. Belgravia's such a small country. We'd beat them in a few hours."
Batman: "Yes, and then we'd have to support them for years."

The timeless wisdom of Batman
Shadowcaster57

Post by Shadowcaster57 »

The cards shown on the results screen are COMPLETELY different from those shown at the beginning -- i.e., ALL the cards are removed.

edit: whoops, too late.
KeriKitKat

Post by KeriKitKat »

ok.... I'm stumped.
If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

KeriKitKat wrote:ok.... I'm stumped.
Same areas, different slopes to the hypotenuse. (I.e., the blue-green triangle goes over 5 and up 2 while the red one goes over 8 and up 3 -- those don't give the same slope, but it kinda looks like it does. Neither of those is the same as going over 12 and up 5.)

~Neal
KeriKitKat

Post by KeriKitKat »

The Meal wrote:
KeriKitKat wrote:ok.... I'm stumped.
Same areas, different slopes to the hypotenuse. (I.e., the blue-green triangle goes over 5 and up 2 while the red one goes over 8 and up 3 -- those don't give the same slope, but it kinda looks like it does. Neither of those is the same as going over 12 and up 5.)

~Neal
ohhhh. dee dee dee! thanks.
If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Snow wrote:Take a closer look at the first set of cards versus the last set ;)
Yep. The effect, called "The Princess Card", was invented in 1905 by a dude name o' Henry Hardin.

Google "Princess Card Trick" (with the quotes) in your favorite search engine to uncover much related lore.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

It's not the same figure anymore, is it?

As in, the angle seems to have changed.

Count in 5 from the left on the bottom of each. The 2x5 does reach the top of the 2 boxes, but when the red large piece was there it would have been roughly 5.5 before the 2 height was reached. The larger is 3x8... not really a larger version... we "see" it as a triangle but the angles are not matched up.

So it doesn't become a triangle in the juxtaposition.

*F'k I think my brains just started smoking*

Cookies. Chaosraven likes cookies. Good enough for me.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Oh good, someone with brains said it right before I finished typing.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
stessier

Re: [magic] How does this work?

Post by stessier »

I'm pretty confident that I know how this works, but at one point, he throws a card away (1:29). I have no idea why he did that - doesn't seem like it was necessary. Any ideas?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

His work is all the more impressive when you consider that he destroyed one of his hands in an accident.

He was in control of the cards until he set them down to be selected. I believe he could have forced the riffle, landing on the Jack of Clubs deliberately. After that, everything is literally in the hands of his assistants. If you look closely at the blue suit, his cards are shown and you can tell he doesn't have a stack of Jacks - so they're legit.

So how does he get them to be Jacks at the end? Hell if I know. Only thing I can think of is that he's got some kind of super-awesome color changing deck or something, where the card on top changes face when he triggers some kind of RF switch. I'd wager that the bottom cards of everyone's piles were kosher.

Alternately, it's all show and they're in on it. I don't know how against the rules that is for a show like that.

Shin Lim's card work is amazing, though.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The card gods demand a sacrifice in order for the magic to work.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:20 pmAlternately, it's all show and they're in on it. I don't know how against the rules that is for a show like that.
I was watching one of those Master Magician shows a while ago, they had back to back episodes going. So in one show, "random" audience member A.J. was chosen to help with the trick. It was a pretty involved trick, too.

Then during the next show, miraculously, A.J. was chosen to assist with a different trick! What are the odds?

That actually happened when I was in college too. David Copperfield came and did a show at school, and I was just a row or two back from the "random" person he chose to help. This one was an in the aisle up close trick. Then a few months later I saw a tape of the same show but at a different location (might have been Vegas for all I remember), but that same person traveled all the way to that show to be chosen to do that trick with him again! Amazing! :shock:
There is no hug button. Sad!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought this thread was about magnets. :(
He won. Period.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Nobody knows how those work!

Enlarge Image
There is no hug button. Sad!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:20 pm
He was in control of the cards until he set them down to be selected. I believe he could have forced the riffle, landing on the Jack of Clubs deliberately.
He absolutely knew it was the Jack of Clubs. If you accept that, there are several ways he could have done the trick. At least three of which I didn't see any sure evidence that he didn't do. But I didn't see any evidence that he did do any of them and that's the fun.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's the random elements that got me thinking they're in on it. Having them toss out some cards and keep a few was entirely random, and he never handled the cards after that. Basically - he had to know where they'd stop or they had to be helping or he has a really special deck.

Not like this guy, and it's delightful to watch Penn's reactions to him.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

This is how I think he did it.
Spoiler:
It's a normal deck of cards that are all marked in the corner.

He fans the cards and asks the guy to pick one. When he stops on it, he can tell the card with his finger tips. He now knows the Jack of Clubs is the target.

The "Helper" shuffles the deck. He then makes four equal stacks while looking at the cards. So he knows the Jack of Clubs is the chosen card and he can set it up so all four jacks are at the bottom of his stacks that are face up. He then flips them over, so that the Jacks are on top of the deck. He knows which deck has the Jack of Clubs.

He then has the Helper pass out the decks. They each grab the deck and deal one card face down. These are all the Jacks. Then they are allowed to deal/shuffle however they want.

Next he has them start to burn the cards. They can burn as many as they want. They then stop and count the cards by dealing them into a stack. The Jacks are all back on top of the decks.

At this point he just tells the Helper where his card is. I think it is happenstance that it was in the Helper's pile - it could have been anywhere and the trick would have worked. Then everyone turns over their cards and there are all the Jacks.
Still don't know why he burned the card at 1:27 though. :)

Edit: Corrected time for when card was scrapped.
Last edited by stessier on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:35 pm Still don't know why he burned the card at 1:29 though. :)
I've watched from 1:25 to 1:34 about 12 times and I'm not seeing it. What do I need to be looking for?
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:39 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:35 pm Still don't know why he burned the card at 1:29 though. :)
I've watched from 1:25 to 1:34 about 12 times and I'm not seeing it. What do I need to be looking for?
There is a deck in his left hand. As his right hand places a deck on the table, his left hand drops a bit and a card is shot under the table. Try slowing it down to 0.5 or 0.25 speed. His pinkie does all the work. It's quite fast.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:41 pm
There is a deck in his left hand. As his right hand places a deck on the table, his left hand drops a bit and a card is shot under the table. Try slowing it down to 0.5 or 0.25 speed. His pinkie does all the work. It's quite fast.
I just went frame by frame - it really happens between as it changes from 1:26-1:27. Sorry being off 2 seconds...my bad.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jeebers. I watched it at 0.25 and couldn't even say he dumped a card - but I see the motion.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

You need a higher resolution monitor. ;)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

One way to do the trick is to sleeve the Jack until the end. That could have been the Jack. I didn't see it, way too small on my phone
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 pm
One way to do the trick is to sleeve the Jack until the end. That could have been the Jack. I didn't see it, way too small on my phone
He never touches the piles, though (after creating them). The Helper hands them out to everyone. He has no control over where the Jacks end up.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, I found a clue. I had to watch very, very closely on slow motion. I can confirm two things:
Spoiler:
When he riffles, there are two aces of spades, spread apart in the deck.
And he had control over exactly one card during the entire sequence.
Spoiler:
The second from the top when they were back-up. They burn a card, and the controlled card is now on top. They deal-shuffle, deal-shuffle onto the table, and while every card is randomized, the controlled card, which was on top, will always be set against the table on the bottom. They then burn cards until few are left, and they count them out, reversing the order - the controlled card is now, surprise, on the top again. There is no other card in the deck he had full control over the location of.
That part is solid. Now for the conjecture:
Spoiler:
Partial card force. Duplicates of the cards he could possibly force. He looks at them as he splits them exactly one card past the forced card. He then dumps the duplicate cards in case things get face up (as one card did) and so they can spread them at the end. He then walks them through moving his card around and back to the top as in the second spoiler.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)