Expensive Vagrancy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

soup

Expensive Vagrancy

Post by soup »

Here are some photos from that bike tour this summer.

They're in this format because they were made into a book.
A real honest to god analog, turn the pages kind of book.

Easiest way to view this is to just use the next button as its supposed to be in order. Like a book.

http://www.pbase.com/soupgod/the_drifters
Bob

Post by Bob »

You want coast to coast eh? I'd love to be able to do this someday.
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
PeteRock

Post by PeteRock »

Awesome. Thanks for the pics. I enjoyed following your journey on OO and have looked forward to seeing some pictures. Perhaps someday I, too, will have the ability to go on such a journey. For now we're planning a bicycling tour through Napa Valley in California. I and my friend plan to ride the entire trip while my wife and her friend man the "sag wagon," carrying luggage, supplies, and providing some protection along dangerous roads, as they aren't too interested in the riding part of the trip and instead look forward to the food and wine. But, this works out well for me as I'll have a support car following along, eliminating the need for me to carry anything on my bike. But I am still envious of your trip.
Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.

E-A-G-L-E-S...........EAGLES!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Thanks for getting those pics up soup.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Awesome. I've always enjoyed your posts on the board and the writing and photography you had on your personal site (not sure if you still do that or not, haven't checked it in years and don't have my home bookmarks at work), and this book is no exception. Some absolutely stunning photos with just enough editorial to give us at least a small idea of what it was like without having to read a full on journal.

It's really cool to see this after following your updates in the other thread while you were actually on the road. Grats again on actually finishing the ride.
Austin

Post by Austin »

That's great! Where's the next ride? What happened to the baby ducks?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Incredible pictures!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Nice pictures. I really enjoyed the presentation.
Austin wrote:What happened to the baby ducks?
Look at the picture again. They didn't make it. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Al

Too bad about the ducks.

Post by Al »

That was better than I expected and I had high hopes to begin with. Thanks soup.
Austin

Post by Austin »

TheMix wrote:Nice pictures. I really enjoyed the presentation.
I know, but why? What happened?
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Austin wrote:
TheMix wrote:Nice pictures. I really enjoyed the presentation.
I know, but why? What happened?
My guess would be that the cold weather they were trying to escape got colder as it got later and they froze to death. :(
soup

Post by soup »

Yup. The cold got em.
It was about 28 degrees that night. We wrapped them up in a helmet with some plastic wrap and a towel.
Didnt want to waste anything else on them because we were freezing too.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

I'm never sure about asking this question, as it seems to me to imply that it's the camera rather than the photographer, but what kind of camera were you using?

And I'm a bit of a backpacking gearhead and it looks like you were running pretty light, especially considering that you were carrying tools and spare parts. Do you have a gear list you'd be willing to post?
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

~40 pounds in gear isn't too light, especially by backpacking standards. :P Most of my friends and I have our packweights for extended trips down to 8-15 pounds (excluding food/water). Being on a bike does allow for certain luxuries though, and it would be cool to see the full gear list. I know I saw a Marmot Precip jacket so at least some of what he brought is badass. :D
magic

Post by magic »

That was incredible.

That would be a great coffee table book. I think i might want a copy.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

So fuckin' cool. My brother and I car camped from Michigan to Sacramento for the month of August 1997. The stories and characters you run into when you take a relaxed trip through places you know nothing about are unforgettable. I started putting a travelogue together with photos at the end of the trip, but nothing nearly as fantastic as this e-book of yours. Top marks.

I can't imagine that feeling at the end of not tearing down camp and pushing the pedals on your bike. Similarly I can't imagine the mix of elation at having achieved your goal and depression that your goal had done already been achieved.

Find yourself an indy paper and do this stuff on someone else's dime. I'd bet the BW would pay someone for this shit, especially if you changed up your schtick every few months. Bartending in the Caribbean would sell papers in Boulder.

Wishing for wild doughnuts,
~Neal
soup

Post by soup »

Thanks for the kynd werds.

An equipment list?
shit that would take awhile.

Heres the majority of the stuff:

Surly Long Haul Trucker- bought the frame and built the bike up myself.

Arkel panniers- company out of canada that has lifetime guar. on their bags. incredible product. My bags look brand new still while my partner had to throw his front set out and his rears look like shit.

Eureka spitfire 2 tent. 2.8lbs

North face 25deg bag

thermarest

msr dragonfly stove

marmot precip jacket

some petzyl headlamp

canon 20d w/17-40L and an ultralightweight tripod

Teva's. rode across the country in teva sandals. when it got cold I just put on some socks.

ipod. word.

brunton 6watt foldable solar panel. it weighs 8oz and folds up to 3"x6". this thing charged cell phones, batteries and ipods. worked great.

zinc butt paste. fo real. we went through 2 full tubes.

some clothes

emotional baggage

theres tons of small stuff im leaving out. but 40lbs isnt all that much when youre on the road for almost 60 days. plus hiking with it on your back is waaay different than loading it on a well balanced bike. it feels like theres nothing on there after a while. :roll:
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Holy shit, those are amazing photos! I think I like the Kansas ones the most. And that first Nevada one is absolutley stunning.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Amazing.

As a 17 year resident of Missouri who escaped - you're right.

It really, really sucks. :P
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

fancydirt wrote:~40 pounds in gear isn't too light, especially by backpacking standards. :P Most of my friends and I have our packweights for extended trips down to 8-15 pounds (excluding food/water). Being on a bike does allow for certain luxuries though, and it would be cool to see the full gear list. I know I saw a Marmot Precip jacket so at least some of what he brought is badass. :D
True, and my pack runs pretty light as well but I always keep an eye out for possible new nifty things to make it lighter :)
Enough

Post by Enough »

Count me as in the blown away category too, great images! Congrats on the trip too!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

Gryndyl wrote:True, and my pack runs pretty light as well but I always keep an eye out for possible new nifty things to make it lighter :)
Yeah, I worked in retail selling mid to high end outdoor equipment of the like for quite a few years. One of the few things I really miss about the job was getting to check out and play with all the new gear that came out. The massive discounts on employee purchases are missed as well, but I already have more gear than I really need so I suppose it's good that I now have a job where I don't end up spending a lot of each paycheck at work.