I need some suggestions from the future OOers/BSers

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

knob

I need some suggestions from the future OOers/BSers

Post by knob »

First, I want to say I know the typical fashion is to give a lot of BS answers, and that's fine. They're humerous. But I'd like some real suggestions thrown in the mix :p

By Tuesday, I need to have a 7 minute persuasive speech ready. I've had this assignment for two weeks now, and I still haven't thought of a topic.

I need something that I can easily find a lot of information for on the web. Hell, it'd be better if you could show me some of the sources, but that's just an extra bonus.

I really don't want to do one of the cliche "Don't smoke!" or "Give blood!" speeches.

Maybe something slightly off the wall. Something unique....

The only thing I've come up with was "Don't kill spiders" (My last informative speech was on Tarantulas, they might think I have some weird spider fetish). I was just going to print off pictures of diseases caused by spider pray and talk about them. It's kind of lame, though, heh.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Rip

Re: I need some suggestions from the future OOers/BSers

Post by Rip »

Valael wrote:First, I want to say I know the typical fashion is to give a lot of BS answers, and that's fine. They're humerous. But I'd like some real suggestions thrown in the mix :p

By Tuesday, I need to have a 7 minute persuasive speech ready. I've had this assignment for two weeks now, and I still haven't thought of a topic.

I need something that I can easily find a lot of information for on the web. Hell, it'd be better if you could show me some of the sources, but that's just an extra bonus.

I really don't want to do one of the cliche "Don't smoke!" or "Give blood!" speeches.

Maybe something slightly off the wall. Something unique....

The only thing I've come up with was "Don't kill spiders" (My last informative speech was on Tarantulas, they might think I have some weird spider fetish). I was just going to print off pictures of diseases caused by spider pray and talk about them. It's kind of lame, though, heh.
2 Words! Gun Control.

No matter which side you choose being extreme either way can be fun.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Exrod

Post by Exrod »

Hmmm...

Confederate Flag Image on State Flags :evil:
...racist? inflammatory? stupid?
...i don't know if there are any left off the top of my head (Georgia Maybe)

Recycling
...myth, red herring, or what
...some cities are ending curbside recycling due to costs

Electric Vehicles :?:
...pollution saved or moved to different location
...electricity is not magic

Oprah's Weight :shock:
...ratings tied into her girth?

Puppet sex = NC17 rating :wink:
...Team America and censorship?

There are a few for you. Good luck. Make sure to let us know what you end up doing. :ninja:
I shall observe the tenets of Rex Kwon Do
I shall respect Rex
I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Your speech will be better if you believe in your subject. Think of something you'd actually like people to do, or stop doing.

The last time I had to do that was in high school. The Apollo project was ending, and popular sentiment was against further space exploration. I argued in favor of pushing on to Mars (which NASA had planned to do by 1985 if Vietnam and the anti-technology backlash hadn't ruined things), instead of taking the dead-end space shuttle/space station route that was gaining favor during the Nixon administration. Ironically, I could give the same speech today with very little updating.

You could always go with politics. The campaign to date has been overwhelmingly negative. We all oppose one guy or the other, but how many of us really support the guy we're voting for? Try to persuade your audience to examine whether they are voting based purely on negatives. If they are, argue for voting third-party instead. I could easily do 3-4 minutes on why voting my conscience does not equal "throwing my vote away," as mass psychology would have it. Try to persuade your audience to examine ALL of the choices, and vote FOR what they believe in, rather than against what they oppose.
the Nightbreeze

Post by the Nightbreeze »

Media Piracy and it's impact on the industries of cinema and Gaming Entertainment.
All of the problems one encounters in one's lifetime have a common trait: That one is somehow is involved in all of them, and perhaps that is the problem in whole. -- Andrew Welsbacher
Flatlander

Post by Flatlander »

I'll echo what Ironrod said. Go with something that's important to you. That way you won't have to work at sounding passionate about it because you already do. Plus it will make the research easier because you've probably already got the sites bookmarked and can think up some arguments more readily.

If your gut instinct was to go with not killing spiders-stick with it.

Other than that, I'm not sure how much public speaking experience you've had, but here's some advice: give a few practice speeches in front of a couple of people instead of practicing before a mirror. It's better to get feedback on your speaking style from other people rather than try to play to a mirror since you wont have the mirror to cue off when you give the actual speech.
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I once did a 7 minute persuasive speech on how Mentos were superior to all other candy.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

You could always give a speech on how Bush is actually Hitler :wink:
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

You should persuasively give a speech about how your speech isn't very persuasive.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

How about this topic:

"Art or trash: Goatse and Tub Girl, an Insider's perspective"?
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:How about this topic:

"Art or trash: Goatse and Tub Girl, an Insider's perspective"?
and don't forget to put together a Powerpoint presentation.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!