[boardgame] HeroScape

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

freelunch

[boardgame] HeroScape

Post by freelunch »

read about this game in a thread in our The Bargain Bin forum and after doing a little research it sounds fabulous. if anyone here has played it I'd appreciate hearing your impressions.

HeroScape at Funagain Games

HeroScape at BoardGameGeek
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I haven't played it myself, but I frequent BoardgameGeek almost daily. Over there people seem to really love it. Most of the comments, though, seem to center around the fact that it has nice components.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I've played it. Pretty fun so far. It takes a while to set up the 3D maps. I haven't played through enough time to see how robust the ruleset is, how good the balance is, etc. But it makes for a nice 30 min-1 hour gaming session. You have to make a few tactical decisions about ranged vs. melee attacks, when to use your special attacks, and when to try to go for the high ground which gives you moderate attack/defense bonuses.

Thematically it's a little strange. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the idea of this meta-world where people from different eras all fight together. It makes the game seem more abstract & artificial and my imagination has a harder time getting into it. But it's all just numbers with plastic figures attached anyway...
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I think the variety of unit types will appeal to my kids (aged 6 and 9 by Christmas, which is when I'm thinking of getting the game*)

they both routinely beg for all manner of miniatures in stores and last year they got an assortment of Fisher-Price "Imaginext" figures and buildings with which they wage wars on using their own rules. they also like boardgames - most recently Runebound and Risk.

*assuming it is available in Australia by then

Scrobbling at last.fm
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds interesting. I am happy that I had a half dozen people over this weekend and got do a nice assortments of our favorites.

Andy (Andrew?)

Is your daughter getting old enough to play games yet. Wyatt Erp is a fantastic rummy game that is simple and plays great 3 players.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Andrew I am, Andy I was :)

my daughter (who has her ninth birthday this week) is very into boardgames - chiefly Runebound and Risk at the moment (as mentioned above) and I have Queen's Necklace put away for her for Christmas.

how is Wyatt Earp for two players?

Scrobbling at last.fm