music magazines

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

freelunch

music magazines

Post by freelunch »

I read RollingStone through most of the eighties but it eventually ceased to excite me and I let my subscription lapse.

I read Q through most of the nineties but it eventually ceased to excite me and I let my subscription lapse.

I'm on the lookout again for a music-related magazine - something with decent reviews, coverage of of books and film would be a non-essential bonus. I took out a subscription to Paste a few months ago and I'm fairly happy with it - are there any others I should consider?
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I have absolutely no idea if it's even still around, but 20 years ago, I was hooked on "Stereo Review". Had lots of record reviews and musical equipment reviews.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my reccs: Wire, Magnet and arthur (which is more of a newspaper)
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Triggercut turned me on to the best music magazine I've ever read, and that would be MOJO! It's not cheap to subscribe but it's worth every penny. Highly recommended!

http://www.mojo4music.com/
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

If you like Paste, you should look into Harp and No Depression
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I remember receiveing a couple of issues of Mojo ten years ago when my Q subscription got messed up. it didn't do much for me at the time but my taste has changed since then - unfortunately at AU$20 per issue to subscribe it would mean I'd have to give up one new album per month to read it :(

need to find a special offer coupon methinks...

Scrobbling at last.fm
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Another really good mag out of the UK is Uncut.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Uncut is also horribly expensive :(

Harp and No Depression are more reasonable - shame I just ordered the Steve Earle CD that Harp is offering as a subscription bonus.

thanks for the suggestions.

Scrobbling at last.fm
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

My two favorite music magazines are two you probably won't like too much.
Maximum Rock and Roll, which is probably the worst name for a magazine ever, is a good breakdown of the punk scene around the world. It has a few problems, but for the most part, it is top notch.
My other favorite is Punk Planet. This magazine is less centered on the music aspect of punk and more on the community: it has very well written articles on politics, culture, community, all the stuff that relates to punk in more abstract ways. Also, I know a few people who write (or wrote) for it.
I used to love Flipside, but that went under at some point when I was in college. It was pretty sad, as it was around before MR&R! That's almost 20 years of magazine!
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

I subscribed to No Depression for several years until I let it lapse. It was a great way to find out about obscure artists and must-own CDs.