Wireless Networking

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

defy_gravity

Wireless Networking

Post by defy_gravity »

I picked up a wireless router and card for my PC and had a wireless card aleady in a laptop. Both the PC and laptop can get on the internet just fine via the wireless router.

The problem I'm having is how to properly share a drive and printer on the desktop so the laptop can print to it and transfer files. I did the right-click, share deal and the laptop doesn't see it. For that matter, it doesn't see the desktop machine at all. Anybody know any tricks for this? They both have the same workgroup name. I thought that was all they had to do.
Long live the United States and success to the Marines!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Are they both on the same network? Does your router have firewall built in? Can you ping/tracert each other? Can you search for the machine name/IP address through whatever machine searching tool you have on you machine?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Make sure they both have the same workgroup name right click on my compute, then go to properties, then go to the network ident tab and click on properties there it should say something like member of...switch it to workgroup and then name it the same thing on both computers. If that doesn't work make sure you can ping each computer. I would imagine that's what the problem is though.

Unless of course it's some strange wireless setting I don't know about. I haven't setup a wireless router yet so it very well might have something to do with that as well.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

This sounds like a question for General Computing. Hey, maybe I should make that my Halloween super-hero costume. Right now I'm stuck with going as SuperHiro and I doubt my gang will understand...

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Al

Post by Al »

Oh. Workgroup. I forgot about that one. I bet you Crystal's laptop isn't in the same workgroup as your desktop.

Crap. You already thought of that. I'm out again.
defy_gravity

Post by defy_gravity »

They can't ping each other. They are in the same workgroup though. I'll look further into whether there is another firewall running that I don't know about.
defy_gravity

Post by defy_gravity »

Al wrote:Oh. Workgroup. I forgot about that one. I bet you Crystal's laptop isn't in the same workgroup as your desktop.

Crap. You already thought of that. I'm out again.
They just default to being in "workgroup" as the name.
tals

Post by tals »

Have either of them got a software firewall in place - if so (and assuming that the router has a firewall) turn that off and see if they can then see each other. I assume they can both 'see' the router - i.e browse it if its web configuration?

Tals
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

with no ping tracert is next.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I would go to a DOS prompt and type ipconfig. I will guess that the IP address will be something like 192.168.1.1, and the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0, and the default gateway should be like 192.168.1.254.

The IP addresses should not be the same, but they should be similar - ie. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. The subnet mask DOES have to be identical, and the default gateway should be the same.

If the IP addressing looks right, check for a firewall. If you are running XP service pack 2, you have one. If you are running Zone Alarm, you have one. If you do, you will need to make an exception so that the traffic from the other computer can get through, or disable the firewall.

*Edit - forgot to add - if you need more indepth help, feel free to drop me an email.