Asteroid Apophis...its the end of the world as we know it

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Asteroid Apophis...its the end of the world as we know it

Post by Daehawk »

Asteroid Apophis...what a damn cool name for a possible Earth smacking asteroid. I can just see the actor from SG-1 laughing maniacally as he's riding it down to the ground :)

Saw this on Discovery last night. Its a 1300 foot hunk of space rock that will pass VERY close to Earth in 2029. Estimates stick it between the Earth and the moon. In fact UNDER the height of geosynchronous satellites. Man oh man. Scientist figure Earth will give it a slight tug as it passes through the keyhole either slowing it down a little or speeding it up a little. They expect it to then have a much higher chance of hitting us in 2039 when it swings back around.

Man what a chilling story.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
noxiousdog

Re: Asteroid Apophis...its the end of the world as we know i

Post by noxiousdog »

Daehawk wrote:Asteroid Apophis...what a damn cool name for a possible Earth smacking asteroid. I can just see the actor from SG-1 laughing maniacally as he's riding it down to the ground :)

Saw this on Discovery last night. Its a 1300 foot hunk of space rock that will pass VERY close to Earth in 2029. Estimates stick it between the Earth and the moon. In fact UNDER the height of geosynchronous satellites. Man oh man. Scientist figure Earth will give it a slight tug as it passes through the keyhole either slowing it down a little or speeding it up a little. They expect it to then have a much higher chance of hitting us in 2039 when it swings back around.

Man what a chilling story.
According to Wiki that's old news.
Additional observations provided improved predictions that eliminated the possibility of an impact on Earth or the Moon in 2029. However there remained a possibility that during the 2029 close encounter with Earth, Apophis would pass through a "gravitational keyhole", a precise region in space no more than about 400 meters across, that would set up a future impact on April 13, 2036. This possibility kept the asteroid at Level 1 on the Torino impact hazard scale until August 2006.

Additional observations of the trajectory of Apophis revealed the "keyhole" would likely be missed and on August 5, 2006, Apophis was lowered to a Level 0 on the Torino Scale. As of October 19, 2006 the impact probability for April 13, 2036 is estimated at 1 in 45,000. An additional impact date in 2037 has been identified, however the impact probability for that encounter is 1 in 12.3 million.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Yep, but it was a cool story while it lasted. :) Still close-passing asteroids make for some fun observational astronomy from folk's backyards...

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Enough

Post by Enough »

The Meal wrote:Yep, but it was a cool story while it lasted. :) Still close-passing asteroids make for some fun observational astronomy from folk's backyards...

~Neal
No doubt, I just keep thinking of the gorgeous views this close encounter might offer. :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Enough wrote:
The Meal wrote:Yep, but it was a cool story while it lasted. :) Still close-passing asteroids make for some fun observational astronomy from folk's backyards...
No doubt, I just keep thinking of the gorgeous views this close encounter might offer. :D
So we should book joint family trips to Africa for it then? Cool!

~Neal
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As of October 19, 2006 the impact probability for April 13, 2036 is estimated at 1 in 45,000.
Thats the same odds as being in a car wreck.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

This makes it a little more scary.

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

You misspelled "exciting."

~Neal
Arcanis

Re: Asteroid Apophis...its the end of the world as we know i

Post by Arcanis »

Daehawk wrote: Estimates stick it between the Earth and the moon. In fact UNDER the height of geosynchronous satellites
we can only hope that it takes some of these unused satellites with it. You know to help clean up all of our space trash.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I wonder if it will push/pull some sats out of position...for instance, the sat that carries Dish Network...so we'd all have to adjust our dishes by a small amount...
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Chances are excellent I'll be dead by then anyway so screw you guys, I don't care! :P
Black Lives Matter
Orinoco

Post by Orinoco »

By that point we'll have hundreds more satellites there and it will hit them, and be diverted downwards...

:P
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Bakhtosh wrote:I wonder if it will push/pull some sats out of position...for instance, the sat that carries Dish Network...so we'd all have to adjust our dishes by a small amount...
Its gravity effects will be negligible. The chances of it actually hitting a satellite is interesting, but depends on how much more we up up there between now and then, of course.

~Neal
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

And I feel fine.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
The Meal

Re: Asteroid Apophis...its the end of the world as we know it

Post by The Meal »

Nope, we're good.
Daehawk wrote:Estimates stick it between the Earth and the moon. In fact UNDER the height of geosynchronous satellites.
Still the prediction (within the orbit of geosynchronous satellites!), but only a 4-in-a-million shot of hitting earth.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Scientists: This asteroid will very likely impact Earth and most likely destroy much of humankind. In the months before it happens there will likely be anarchy on a massive scale that will spin completely out of control. Governments will collapse. Theft, murder, and every other type of crime will envelop the industrialized world.

Government: This asteriod is NOT going to hit the Earth.

Scientists: Here are the calculations and the possible scenarios, as you can see...

Government: This asteroid is NOT going to hit the Earth.

Scientists: Oh.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A rock. The size of 2 and half football fields in size. Is coming really close. As in satellite close. 18,000 miles close. MUCH closer than our moon. I'm still scared.

Apophis

As big and two and a half of these.

And its coming THIS close.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Meal wrote:Nope, we're good.
Daehawk wrote:Estimates stick it between the Earth and the moon. In fact UNDER the height of geosynchronous satellites.
Still the prediction (within the orbit of geosynchronous satellites!), but only a 4-in-a-million shot of hitting earth.
Nuts. I was hoping to go to the grave with smug thought that nobody on my enemies list would outlive me by much. :x
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

By that time, we'll have daily space launch and the world'll run out of fossil fuel.

It'll be easy to collect a bunch of jobless ex-oil drilling workers and train them to do a mission to drill the asteroid and to plant some nuclear explosives to break the asteroid into several small harmless asteroids.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

msduncan wrote:Scientists: This asteroid will very likely impact Earth and most likely destroy much of humankind. In the months before it happens there will likely be anarchy on a massive scale that will spin completely out of control. Governments will collapse. Theft, murder, and every other type of crime will envelop the industrialized world.

Government: This asteriod is NOT going to hit the Earth.

Scientists: Here are the calculations and the possible scenarios, as you can see...

Government: This asteroid is NOT going to hit the Earth.

Scientists: Oh.
Can't happen with an asteroid like this one. Too much data and too many eyeballs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

That is what they want you to think... :ninja:
Odin

Post by Odin »

Heck, with this much time to plan, we ought to be coming up with a design to attach rockets to it, push it into Earth orbit, and mine it for adamantium.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

ok ok... there was a topic a few months ago with what would happend if an asteroid was to hit us... with one this size, what would happend?
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Vorret wrote:ok ok... there was a topic a few months ago with what would happend if an asteroid was to hit us... with one this size, what would happend?
A 250m asteroid would not be a life-ending event, but you wouldn't want it dropping in your backyard.
Odin

Post by Odin »

The Meal wrote:
Vorret wrote:ok ok... there was a topic a few months ago with what would happend if an asteroid was to hit us... with one this size, what would happend?
A 250m asteroid would not be a life-ending event, but you wouldn't want it dropping in your backyard.
If it lands in my backyard when I'm home, it's a life-ending event as far as I'm concerned. :D
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Asteroids don't come to Canada so I'm not too worried...
Prolly gonna head to Hollywood
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
qp

Post by qp »

Darnit how many times do we have to kill Apophis? And now he's sending another asteroid our way?
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Um, hello? Tunguska? Aliens will save us.
FoxNews wrote:Dr. Yuri Labvin, president of the Tunguska Spatial Phenomenon Foundation, insists that an alien spacecraft sacrificed itself to prevent a gigantic meteor from slamming into the planet above Siberia on June 30, 1908.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Science Alert
[A]lthough scientists have crossed off any chance of it hitting during its next close flyby in 2029, they're not so sure it won't slam into us in 2068 as it comes this way again.

While the risk of Apophis hitting Earth in 2068 is somewhere in the region of 1 in 150,000, an asteroid that size would cause a blast larger than an atomic bomb, so it's best to double check the numbers.
The April 2029 close approach is going to be very close (closer than some of our communication satellites close) and it gives scientists a very important opportunity to study Apophis in exceptionally high detail.
It's almost as if people are the problem.