What could be causing this odd TV problem?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daveman

What could be causing this odd TV problem?

Post by Daveman »

We picked up a new 32" TV a week and a half ago. Nothing terribly fancy, not HDTV, flatscreen, etc. Until today, everything has been fine... but now I've got one very odd problem.

I have a Gamecube and DVD player connected to component inputs, while my cable runs through our VCR which is connected into the plain old cable/antenna jack. As of today, things are still great, except that now, while viewing a tape and fastforwarding (like scanning past commercials) you can only do so for a few seconds and then the picture drops out. The TV is still powered on, sound is still coming from the speakers... but the picture is gone. I have to turn the TV off and on again to get the picture back.

It's the silliest thing I've ever experienced with a TV. I just watched two hours without fastforwarding on the VCR and it's been fine, but any FF'ing kills the picture. Even stranger, viewing while rewinding doesn't drop the picture.

Suffice to say I'm calling this in (warranty is still well in effect) but I thought I'd ask the local experts too ;)
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Weird. Have you tried connecting the VCR to the TV with the RCA cables (red/white for audio, and yellow for video) instead of the RF cable?