Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

And there's the GME squeeze.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

CRON easily overlooked with a mere 9% day. $10.60.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It feels like there is some hanky panky going on. I have two securities I have been holding on among all my long positions, waiting for the time I would write off their losses against gains made elsewhere. Both have been basically worthless for years. One that tanked years ago from presenting bad books and one was a bad "penny stock" pick. Both have been stagnant at 98% loss for me for years. One has gone from $.20 to $.80 in two days. The other went from $.24 to $.55 in two days (though is now "declining" at $.51) For the amount I hold they're still both basically worthless, like the OTC commission makes trading meaningless worthless, but neither rise makes sense, announcing a chapter 11 reorganization as one of the companies recently did is worthy of a 100% gain.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hoodies and now reddit running all kinds of pump and dumps.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/games ... 1610569885

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jim Cramer has been pumping the crap out of TSM. I have my remaining "long term" position with a cost basis of $31.60 and planned to ride it out but his incessant pumping (he called it the most important company in the world this morning) is giving me some thoughts about cashing in now and looking for the dip.

SLGD, had a GTC limit order at $2.26. Filled today, took a drop to $1.99 on a few hundred shares and then shot to $3.03. Very low volume but something is going on there. Only playing with peanuts but these are the fun ones.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:58 pm SLGD, had a GTC limit order at $2.26. Filled today, took a drop to $1.99 on a few hundred shares and then shot to $3.03. Very low volume but something is going on there. Only playing with peanuts but these are the fun ones.
It really does look like a lot of these OTC "penny stocks" are getting pumped for no reason. I can't tell if it's mania, pumping, or just my perception. Based on your note about reddit and GME, I looked up reddit and one of my bad penny stock pick that I've been holding and sure enough, in late December, out of nowhere anonymous Internet people on reddit and other chat boards are trying to sell it as an EV supply chain stock that going to hit $3 near term. (It is rare earth prospecting company but it is not an EV supply chain company) I'm debating cashing out a smaller loss than I'd otherwise take but difference is so small I'm no hurry.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CNBC keeps coming back the "merry men" of Reddit this morning moving stocks. I guess the investor world is really beginning to take stock at Robinhood and they small young investor organizing against the machine. For good or ill.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

It would be curious to know how much is legit market moving and how much is taking advantage of trading algorithms. If it's the latter, it will be sorted out in a hurry.

This is an absolutely scary part of AI. If they can beat us at Go, we have no chance in the speculation market. The best you could do is hope to grab some coattails.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:53 pm It would be curious to know how much is legit market moving and how much is taking advantage of trading algorithms. If it's the latter, it will be sorted out in a hurry.

This is an absolutely scary part of AI. If they can beat us at Go, we have no chance in the speculation market. The best you could do is hope to grab some coattails.
It's neither. It's an irrational herd. AI can't predict it and can even fall victim to it. GME had short interest >100%. That was hedge funds and their algos and AI. The herd said, "Let's break this."

Eventually AI will figure out how to take advantage and do things like spoof charts and set traps. Not there yet and if the herd remains irrational, there will always be a risk for the AI.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Interesting week.
Amidst this geopolitical backdrop, this is how the week has progressed.

Monday: A case of mistaken identity sends pink sheet stock Signal Advance skyrocketing. The Monday’s intraday peak was the culmination of more than 12,000% gain in three sessions. Despite being more than 85% below that peak, shares are still 1,800% higher than a week ago.

Tuesday: Small cap Zomedica skyrocketed when Animal Rights activist Carole Baskin talked up the company in a $300 Cameo clip. The company, which is forecast to have $5 million in revenues in 2021, is still worth $570 million at current prices.

Wednesday: GameStop experiences a short squeeze engineered by a massive army of social media speculators from Reddit’s WallStreetBets forum. The group appears to be targeting activist short names, engineering numerous short squeezes throughout the market.

Thursday: The madness appeared to break the AAII Sentiment Survey. The results initially showed the survey as 100% bullish, which is a level of optimism never reached before in the survey's 33 year history. The results were subsequently taken down. AAII has officially stated there are no results for the last week and they could not be tabulated due to a software error. We can’t wait to see what Friday brings.

There is little doubt as to what is fueling this insanity. In 2020, there was nearly $5 Trillion of fiscal stimulus pumped into the United States economy. There was an additional $3.25 Trillion of monetary stimulus and zero interest rate policy added as well. President elect Biden is seeking an additional $1.9 Trillion in fiscal stimulus in the coming month, and the Federal Reserve will add another $1.4 Trillion in monetary stimulus this year.

This is a massive stimulus driven bubble. Market participants frequently talk about generational buying opportunities like Q1 2009, or maybe even March of 2020. Take note, 2021 is setting up to be a generational selling opportunity. In the span of 12 months' time, we are setting up to witness approximately $6.5 Trillion of fiscal stimulus and $3.5 Trillion of monetary stimulus for a $21 Trillion economy.
Agree that there's a bubble but timing it is going to be difficult. Irrationally has long legs.

And what we were talking about (emphasis theirs):
All investors should note that the market is not as easy as it has appeared. In a business where there are no guarantees, it is a guarantee the environment will get harder. Institutional investors and companies should be on the lookout for the social media cabal looking to run share prices higher and take advantage of that liquidity when it is offered.

This is hardly an environment where informed investors are transacting to establish price discovery. It is simply a story, a theme and a buy order. Please remember there is no such thing as a new economy, there have been technological advances since the beginning of time. Yes, there are technological revolutions, but there are centuries of history of investors overpaying in the near term for the shiny and new. This environment will prove no different.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm POWW is now $5.41 and flirted in the $5.7x's today. :envy:
I held through. Quite a day yesterday.

INTC announced this morning that Bob Swan is gone, Pat Gelsinger to take over in mid Feb. Up 12% pre-market.
2 weeks after I sold all my INTC. Brilliant timing. :)

Sold for a profit, and got a few divvies, but still...
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:49 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:53 pm It would be curious to know how much is legit market moving and how much is taking advantage of trading algorithms. If it's the latter, it will be sorted out in a hurry.

It's neither. It's an irrational herd. AI can't predict it and can even fall victim to it. GME had short interest >100%. That was hedge funds and their algos and AI. The herd said, "Let's break this."
Yeah I think people overestimate what ML can do. It finds patterns. If the pattern has any stochastic elements (i.e. a lot of irrational rubes) it can't find a stable pattern. What AI can do pretty well at the moment is outlier detection & stock filter type work. That said, the high frequency price discovery mechanism is partially gone and the market is pretty dangerous. I'm just sticking to plain jane long-term investing because I only need just under 6% for the next 10 odd years and I retire early. I feel like I can get that and not play any stupid games in this market.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Let my UMC $2.50 calls exercise over the weekend. Right call but now I'm trying to decide how long I want to be a UMC shareholder.

MYT