Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:03 pm Pretty sure the 3 days is meant to match T+3. Trades have 3 days to be settled. Not that it's strcitly necessary for settled cash or deposits. I guess it benefits them when not strictly necessary so why not?
I have no idea what it's meant to do. I just know when I made an ACH deposit on Scottrade they checked my balance and made the funds available within 15 minutes. TDAmeritrade says "up to three days." My very limited experience so far is that means three days. My sample size is 1 + the one currently in progress. My assumption is it is because they don't have the systems in place to make sure I'm not depositing funds. This (probably poor) assumption then says why didn't they take scottrade's system with them?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's what I mean, it's not always necessary but if they can get 3 days of interest off you, why not?

FWIW, it's usually 3 days for me too.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1IQ33F

I'm in the money.
I'm in the money.

Wait. No I'm not but I do have some table scraps that if I sold it all right now would leave me with about a half month of sustenance living more that what I've dumped in.

Headline below of course says
S&P, Dow fall as oil drop hurts energy; chipmakers boost Nasdaq
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am So payday comes and I made a decision. Rather than starting the CDs (which is what I should do) I'm a hold off for a couple/few months and back tdameritrade transfer process. It is weird to me that they have a three day turnaround on transferring moneys. But I guess that will keep me from getting a gambler's wild hair up my ass until something clearly better than tdameritrade comes along. I still don't understand how they could buy scottrade, own scottrade and then totally dump good scottrade UI and banking processes. But that's me and I like what I like.

So not dumping my current "extra" money into a CD, this time around it will either by SPY or VYMI. VYMI seems like an interesting unstable time to buy into with all of the bonuses of a dividend better than most interest rates, even if SPY is tried and true.

I suppose I now have three days to mull it over.
under the magnifying glass of two weeks.... I chose poorly. VYMI down nearly 4%. I have the magic touch for having funds becoming available and choosing at the exact wrong moment to buy what I have my eye on.

The Internet tell me this is likely because Vodaphone is oversold.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm back to the point where I'm thinking about CDs again. I hate to keep growing my money in a savings/money market that is doing almost literally nothing. At the same time I don't want to continue to throw money in to the stock market when I fear it's over valued and we have a powderkeg ready to blow on trade.

I was going to research how Bonds work through TD Ameritrade today or see what other options they have and they could sense it. So they sent me an email
We hear you - explore features you've been looking for
so they addressing all of the UI complaint by saying "We have features! Use them." So now I'm feeling rebellious against them.

/refrains making R&P allegories.

Anyhoo, I think I'm going to look for good interest accounts, where either my money is liquid and easy to move and out or it is tied up in a way that is acceptable to me. I think my current exposure to volatility is already too high and if I want to simply grow my rainy day money, I need to find something better than my current .1% for the bulk of it. I suppose its time to learn what diversify really means.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My dad demanded going to all cash. So effectively he's in CDs now. I have him in some dividend stocks but only about 20%. And a bit of BRK.b.

Foe myself, I sold AMD around $10 a month or so ago and bought Jan 19 calls for about twice as many shares. Idea was to keep most of the profits from the long stock (average cost was $2.13/share) but hedge against being completely out, figuring by Jan AMD could be near $18. Well, the calls were up 50% pretty quickly so I impulsively sold thinking *ding* Winner!

Yesterday I would have been up 350%+ on that trade. Like not a life changing amount but certainly a free vacation or several nice rifles.

Oh, and I used some if the AMD call proceeds to buy SNAP calls. Same thing happened there. Bailed on a small gain when I should have held for my target, missed out on more serious gains.

So clearly I still have discipline problems.

And God help me, I'm about to buy more Ford.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:51 am My dad demanded going to all cash. So effectively he's in CDs now. I have him in some dividend stocks but only about 20%. And a bit of BRK.b.
Rates through TDAmeritrade are better than my Credit Union. But it's all third party, so I assume there is a commission that I'm trying to learn. Their page also links me to something I didn't see on Scottrade. "Step UP" corporate notes. Relatively short term but high interests notes that can be sold. They start at about CD rates and then go up. I'm liking the option. I could open a series of these and be pretty happy diverting my current mutual funds in to them. For instance there is a currently a non-callable 2 year note at 3% that goes up to 3.15% next year. And an "investment ladders" as they call it over a series of two year investments is about exactly what I'm debating doing.

Reasearch research research.

Here is what I'm looking at now.

https://www.kcgbondpoint.com/docs/newis ... 866064.pdf
So clearly I still have discipline problems.

And God help me, I'm about to buy more Ford.
You and me both, which is why I want to lock money reasonably but where I still can get it if I had to. I have a (for me) a large bit of rainy day money that feels wasted and it's hard not to subject it to the turmoil.

No more Ford for me. I'm happy with what I have and what they are paying me. Also I made a commitment to buy no more individual stocks until such a time as they represent a much smaller portion of my portfolio. My choices have been... poor. For all my gains riding up the indexes. After you inlclude fees and taxes and tax preparations they seem to do not much more than cover my poor decision making with buying individual securities. But lord knows when F was in the mid 10s I was tempted. Oh was I tempted. Now that it's back up around $12, nope. I played that game already.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am So payday comes and I made a decision. Rather than starting the CDs (which is what I should do) I'm a hold off for a couple/few months and back tdameritrade transfer process. It is weird to me that they have a three day turnaround on transferring moneys. But I guess that will keep me from getting a gambler's wild hair up my ass until something clearly better than tdameritrade comes along. I still don't understand how they could buy scottrade, own scottrade and then totally dump good scottrade UI and banking processes. But that's me and I like what I like.

So not dumping my current "extra" money into a CD, this time around it will either by SPY or VYMI. VYMI seems like an interesting unstable time to buy into with all of the bonuses of a dividend better than most interest rates, even if SPY is tried and true.

Why didn't I listen to myself? Down about 8% since I bought it and now everything else I own is trending down as well. I knew I just wanted CDs or to wait.

/wonders where the good entry point will be but needs to convince himself "what's in the market stays in the market. What's new should go into CDs until he feels that R&P is not controlling the market to the nth degree" as he seriously fears we are going to be paying the piper.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Why didn't I listen to myself? Down about 8% since I bought it and now everything else I own is trending down as well. I knew I just wanted CDs or to wait.

/wonders where the good entry point will be but needs to convince himself "what's in the market stays in the market. What's new should go into CDs until he feels that R&P is not controlling the market to the nth degree" as he seriously fears we are going to be paying the piper.
Set a percentage. X% in stocks X% in cash. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Clarification: Percentage of total assets.

Example. Say you want to be 90% stocks and 10% cash. If you have 20k in stocks and 1k in cash, you'd put your next 1k in cash.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:39 pm Set a percentage. X% in stocks X% in cash. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Example. Say you want to be 90% stocks and 10% cash. If you have 20k in stocks and 1k in cash, you'd put your next 1k in cash.
That's part of what I'm trying to figure out. What I had been doing is is taking one out of every $3000 saved and putting it toward enough "cash" to pay for a new car. I now have enough to pay cash for a cheap baby CUV when that time comes. So it seems like all money saved hits a terminal point and then gets dumped in the market and I don't like myself for doing that, which is where CDs come in to play. "Cash" in my CU savings earns just about nothing but I'm happy to have my cushion there. I'm comfortable with my cushion but I'm not comfortable with the market... and yet I make bad decisions even with my comfort level being low because I'm stupid. Maybe learning a percentage method and obsessively sticking to it is what I need to do.

I am both very uncomfortable with the economy that drives the market today and unhappy with with CUs interest for holding my money for me. I just need to commit CDs and get comfortable with them. And then perhaps visit the notion of percentages in the way you say I should.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:03 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:39 pm Set a percentage. X% in stocks X% in cash. Then you don't have to worry about it.

That's part of what I'm trying to figure out. What I had been doing is is taking one out of every $3000 saved and putting it toward enough "cash" to pay for a new car. I now have enough to pay cash for a cheap baby CUV when that time comes. So it seems like all money saved hits a terminal point and then gets dumped in the market and I don't like myself for doing that, which is where CDs come in to play. "Cash" in my CU savings earns just about nothing but I'm happy to have my cushion there. I'm comfortable with my cushion but I'm not comfortable with the market... and yet I make bad decisions even with my comfort level being low because I'm stupid. Maybe learning a percentage method and obsessively sticking to it is what I need to do.

I am both very uncomfortable with the economy that drives the market today and unhappy with with CUs interest for holding my money for me. I just need to commit CDs and get comfortable with them. And then perhaps visit the notion of percentages in the way you say I should.
A good rule of thumb is that money that you expect to use in less than 5 years should not be put into stocks.

Financial planners will tell you to put 6 months of living expenses (minimal: rent, utilities, bare food budget) in cash. The rest is then savings. Savings goes with the above rule. Anything you plan on buying in 5 years should be in cash. In most parts of the business cycle I'm at 10% cash with my savings. (CDs are treated as a form of cash). I have increased that to 20%, but it's also because I'm planning to buy a new house.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:30 pm A good rule of thumb is that money that you expect to use in less than 5 years should not be put into stocks.
My plan was four. But we'll when that time comes. It may be five with how uncomfortable I am now and how much it reminds me of exactly how uncomfortable I was in 2007 and how hateful was in 2008 and 2009.
Financial planners will tell you to put 6 months of living expenses (minimal: rent, utilities, bare food budget) in cash. The rest is then savings. Savings goes with the above rule. Anything you plan on buying in 5 years should be in cash. In most parts of the business cycle I'm at 10% cash with my savings. (CDs are treated as a form of cash). I have increased that to 20%, but it's also because I'm planning to buy a new house.
My goal was 2 years living expenses in savings, two years in staggered CDs. I'm not there especially when my "cash" is almost entirely bookmarked for "there so I can get a new car when I have to get a new car"

The good news is that I'm intuitively pretty close. But if feels wrong to build more savings cash when it could earn something in CD. And then I get stupid and put it in a market I'm not comfortable with and proceed to watch a broad fund dip nearly 10% in month.

I have a long way to go and my planning outside of a 401k I don't have much control over is still very young and riddled with bad decision making.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:39 pm I have a long way to go and my planning outside of a 401k I don't have much control over is still very young and riddled with bad decision making.
It may or not be bad decision making. This is why the new business buzzword is process.

If someone wants to offer me 3:1 odds on a coin flip, it's not bad decision making if I lose 10 times in a row. It's just bad luck. But I should take them up on the offer 100 times out of a 100 with money that I can afford to lose.

So if your target allocation is 10% cash and 90% stocks, it's not a bad decision to buy the S&P 500 even if it goes sideways. Do it enough times, and you'll come out ahead.

The trick is just don't chase. Stick by your plan. Evaluate the plan based on expected outcome, not on money spent.
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:39 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:30 pm A good rule of thumb is that money that you expect to use in less than 5 years should not be put into stocks.
My plan was four. But we'll when that time comes. It may be five with how uncomfortable I am now and how much it reminds me of exactly how uncomfortable I was in 2007 and how hateful was in 2008 and 2009.
My goal was 2 years living expenses in savings, two years in staggered CDs. I'm not there especially when my "cash" is almost entirely bookmarked for "there so I can get a new car when I have to get a new car"

The good news is that I'm intuitively pretty close. But if feels wrong to build more savings cash when it could earn something in CD. And then I get stupid and put it in a market I'm not comfortable with and proceed to watch a broad fund dip nearly 10% in month.

I have a long way to go and my planning outside of a 401k I don't have much control over is still very young and riddled with bad decision making.
I'm not so sure now is the best time to get into CDs, given ongoing interest rate hikes by the Fed. Maybe short-term rollover with updated rates (3 mo/6 mo maybe)? CD rates have been poor enough for awhile that the value in liquidity in conjunction with inflation can make up for any interest gained. Can, depending on your situation and where the market goes. FWIW I haven't looked seriously at CDs in 10-15 years given where interest rates have been, so my assumptions may be off.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:02 pm I'm not so sure now is the best time to get into CDs, given ongoing interest rate hikes by the Fed. Maybe short-term rollover with updated rates (3 mo/6 mo maybe)? CD rates have been poor enough for awhile that the value in liquidity in conjunction with inflation can make up for any interest gained. Can, depending on your situation and where the market goes. FWIW I haven't looked seriously at CDs in 10-15 years given where interest rates have been, so my assumptions may be off.
Inflation affects CDs and cash equally. I certainly wouldn't be buying 36 month CDs (except as part of a ladder), but 1 year CDs are a valid place to put cash that you don't need for 12 months and wouldn't invest in a stock market crash.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My establishment recently put up an offering for >2.5% on a ~18mo term.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TD Ameritrade looked like they could get something like 2.8 for 24 months, only they do it 3rd party which suggests there is a commission somewhere in there. Not having a full visibility into the process is what kept me from putting money there before. They also had 24 months "Corporate Notes" from banks at 2.5% stepping up to 3.5 or 4% over the 24 month period depending if you wanted them callable or not. Again no visibility into a commission on purchase.

I don't mind the 24 month commitment to 3ish% when I am already getting basically nothing from CU. Especially if I build it as a ladder like ND suggests and a 24 month monthly ladder is exactly what I was thinking about. Only if I build the ladder myself commission = ? If I let TD Ameritrade build it all at once by buying existing CDs then the rates go down dramatically.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:05 pm TD Ameritrade looked like they could get something like 2.8 for 24 months, only they do it 3rd party which suggests there is a commission somewhere in there. Not having a full visibility into the process is what kept me from putting money there before. They also had 24 months "Corporate Notes" from banks at 2.5% stepping up to 3.5 or 4% over the 24 month period depending if you wanted them callable or not. Again no visibility into a commission on purchase.

I don't mind the 24 month commitment to 3ish% when I am already getting basically nothing from CU. Especially if I build it as a ladder like ND suggests and a 24 month monthly ladder is exactly what I was thinking about. Only if I build the ladder myself commission = ? If I let TD Ameritrade build it all at once by buying existing CDs then the rates go down dramatically.
It's extremely rare for transaction costs on CDs. If there are do not buy it.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:09 pm It's extremely rare for transaction costs on CDs. If there are do not buy it.
I don't know how it works. I would somehow buy them through TD Ameritrade, though TD Ameritrade lists the purchases from banks based on the best rates they find on any particular day. How the CDs are held and what TD Ameritrade's incentives are for doing all the work. I dunno.

They don't make the process easily visible, which means I remain ignorant until I dig deeper.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:51 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:09 pm It's extremely rare for transaction costs on CDs. If there are do not buy it.
I don't know how it works. I would somehow buy them through TD Ameritrade, though TD Ameritrade lists the purchases from banks based on the best rates they find on any particular day. How the CDs are held and what TD Ameritrade's incentives are for doing all the work. I dunno.

They don't make the process easily visible, which means I remain ignorant until I dig deeper.
These are probably brokered CDs. I don't think there are commissions but there are minimum deposits.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:50 pm These are probably brokered CDs. I don't think there are commissions but there are minimum deposits.
If CDs are the same as bonds (which is to say if I don't go directly to the CDs page then TD Ameritrade says
TD Ameritrade may act as principal on any secondary fixed-income transaction. When acting as principal, there will be a $1.00 per bond markup to any purchase, or a $1 per bond markdown from every sale. This markup or markdown will be included in the price quoted to you and will be reflected on your confirm. This fee structure applies to web based transactions only.
Then for CDs specifically it says
The types of CDs available through TD Ameritrade are called brokered CDs. They are similar to CDs purchased directly from a bank, except they can be traded on the open market. These CDs are usually issued in large denominations and then divided into smaller denominations by brokerage firms for re-sale to their customers. Brokered Certificates of Deposits that you choose to sell prior to maturity in a secondary market may result in loss of principal due to fluctuation of interest rates, lack of liquidity, or transaction costs.
I can't find the direct quote now but somewhere else it says there is 5 bond ($5,000) minimum on trades for bonds.

Test buying without committing yields the same ambiguity. I will likely have to contact them to get a fee structure laid out in front of me.

$5000 a pop was more than I was looking to commit to but it may only be $5000 a pop to sell (and $1 per thousand) and I wouldn't sell them.

$1 a pop minimum which is what it shows on a test without commitment is exactly what I was looking at doing.

Anyhoo time for some thinking before the next payday without bills due day.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I've bought $1000 CDs from etrade and fidelity. I think that's the standard size on brokerages. It typically isn't very clear though. You could probably call them and ask.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:26 am I've bought $1000 CDs from etrade and fidelity. I think that's the standard size on brokerages. It typically isn't very clear though. You could probably call them and ask.
That or a chat session will likely be the plan at the end of the month.

You know I thought about your % cash to equities thought. And it seems ever since I got me head on straight, I have been doing that intuitively. Barring extra pressure on my finances when they arise: 1/4 of my monthly earnings go to living expenses, 1/4 to "cash", 50% are tucked aside to go in to equities when they hit a terminal amount saved. Additional monthly expenses or occasional luxuries are paid out of the 50% bucket before a portion is dumped in to equities. So effectively I have cash/equities at 33%/66% and as my investments have pretty much been a wash over the few years I've been learning (in an up market) my actually portfolio is 33%/66% almost on the nose. Ideally one day that cash portion will sink because the equities portion will actually grow.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:31 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:50 pm These are probably brokered CDs. I don't think there are commissions but there are minimum deposits.
If CDs are the same as bonds (which is to say if I don't go directly to the CDs page then TD Ameritrade says

CDs are not the same as bonds.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

From TDA:
Affordable Minimum Purchase: CDs are available for an initial investment as low as $2,000.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:52 am

CDs are not the same as bonds.
Yeah, I know but they are on the Bonds page and finding info on Bonds is on pages the CDs are listed. But CD info isn't. I appreciate your poking around like am doing. I had thought I had seen the $2000 guide before as well and then I go back and can't find what I found and I get annoyed.

Maybe I'm still holding grudges at losing Scottrade where everything was in front of me at a glance. It seems like I have to fight to figure anything out with TD Ameritrade and I don't understand why.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Easy come, easy go:
Amazon said it would recruit entrepreneurs to run local delivery networks, a move that could divert business from carriers FedEx and UPS. Together, the two companies lost nearly $3 billion in market value on Thursday, with UPS bearing the greatest losses.

A few hours after that announcement, Amazon said it would acquire online pharmacy startup PillPack, a deal that's already shaking up the health-care industry. Sources told CNBC that Amazon paid roughly $1 billion for the company. News of the deal erased about $14.5 billion from drugstores Walgreens Boots Alliance, CVS Health and Rite Aid and drug distributors Cardinal Health, AmerisourceBergen and McKesson.

Walmart, which sources said bid on PillPack for less than $1 billion, lost $3.04 billion in market capitalization on Thursday.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am Easy come, easy go:

Walmart, which sources said bid on PillPack for less than $1 billion, lost $3.04 billion in market capitalization on Thursday.
Walgreen's probably lost around $6B in market cap yesterday.

MYT
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I've recently opened up an IRA. Is there any good resources you guys would recommend a complete investment beginner like myself to read or podcasts to listen to?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Over the long terms you can't beat a low cost index fund. Warren Buffet put out a bet for any actively managed fund to beat the S&P index over 10 years. One guy took him up and lost.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:08 am I've recently opened up an IRA. Is there any good resources you guys would recommend a complete investment beginner like myself to read or podcasts to listen to?
I wish I did. It's hard. I'm about five years in and I'm riddled with poor judgement and read a ton of outdated materials. And while everything I read talks about how small your investments can be and important even when small, they don't show a way, for instance to plan what you are doing right now with say, a first $5500 IRA contribution (or smaller). So when you find it, let me know.

Without being smart and seeing all my failures and still not understanding how I didn't understand going in, if you want more than conservative fixed income investment, five years has taught me ND is right so far. Take that $5500, throw it in SPY, VT, or VTI with drip and forget about it. Don't worry about their relative value or the current market. Grow your portfolio this way and learn about the resources investment sheets prospectuses and options and calls and how to read them later. You can just be a spectator with your money in an index until you have enough money to get out.

Once you are comfortably, take the lawbeef approach and take a sector you are passionate about or already know a lot about and then learn how to know about it from the bookkeeping side, You can then take a small portion of your money and learn what you are comfortable with that way. I'm still not there yet, having been bitten so hard by the decline of the petrol dollar (Ford, FGP) and not seeing that commercial success and omnipresence is good enough (CVS) when it comes to understanding how pharm related (and later Amazon competitive) investments work. I tried an alternative energy penny stock and got burned there too but for the price of a bad day at the casino.

But the broad indexes have kept on keeping on.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:00 am
msteelers wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:08 am I've recently opened up an IRA. Is there any good resources you guys would recommend a complete investment beginner like myself to read or podcasts to listen to?
I wish I did. It's hard. I'm about five years in and I'm riddled with poor judgement and read a ton of outdated materials. And while everything I read talks about how small your investments can be and important even when small, they don't show a way, for instance to plan what you are doing right now with say, a first $5500 IRA contribution (or smaller). So when you find it, let me know.

Without being smart and seeing all my failures and still not understanding how I didn't understand going in, if you want more than conservative fixed income investment, five years has taught me ND is right so far. Take that $5500, throw it in SPY, VT, or VTI with drip and forget about it. Don't worry about their relative value or the current market. Grow your portfolio this way and learn about the resources investment sheets prospectuses and options and calls and how to read them later. You can just be a spectator with your money in an index until you have enough money to get out.

Once you are comfortably, take the lawbeef approach and take a sector you are passionate about or already know a lot about and then learn how to know about it from the bookkeeping side, You can then take a small portion of your money and learn what you are comfortable with that way. I'm still not there yet, having been bitten so hard by the decline of the petrol dollar (Ford, FGP) and not seeing that commercial success and omnipresence is good enough (CVS) when it comes to understanding how pharm related (and later Amazon competitive) investments work. I tried an alternative energy penny stock and got burned there too but for the price of a bad day at the casino.

But the broad indexes have kept on keeping on.
I understand very little of what you are talking about, but if nothing else you've given me a bunch of terms to google. :D
stessier

Post by stessier »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:13 am I understand very little of what you are talking about, but if nothing else you've given me a bunch of terms to google. :D
Kind of par for the course for an LM post.

Kidding!!!! ;)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

TD Ameritrade may act as principal on any secondary fixed-income transaction. When acting as principal, there will be a $1.00 per bond markup to any purchase, or a $1 per bond markdown from every sale. This markup or markdown will be included in the price quoted to you and will be reflected on your confirm. This fee structure applies to web based transactions only.
Then for CDs specifically it says
The types of CDs available through TD Ameritrade are called brokered CDs. They are similar to CDs purchased directly from a bank, except they can be traded on the open market. These CDs are usually issued in large denominations and then divided into smaller denominations by brokerage firms for re-sale to their customers. Brokered Certificates of Deposits that you choose to sell prior to maturity in a secondary market may result in loss of principal due to fluctuation of interest rates, lack of liquidity, or transaction costs.
I can't find the direct quote now but somewhere else it says there is 5 bond ($5,000) minimum on trades for bonds.

Test buying without committing yields the same ambiguity. I will likely have to contact them to get a fee structure laid out in front of me.

$5000 a pop was more than I was looking to commit to but it may only be $5000 a pop to sell (and $1 per thousand) and I wouldn't sell them.

$1 a pop minimum which is what it shows on a test without commitment is exactly what I was looking at doing.

Anyhoo time for some thinking before the next payday without bills due day.
As I recall, the higher minimum CD's carry better rates (as do longer term CD's), generally. It's been over a decade for me however.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:51 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am Easy come, easy go:

Walgreen's probably lost around $6B in market cap yesterday.
While Amazon cracked $1700/share for the first time recently...

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:32 am
msteelers wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:13 am I understand very little of what you are talking about, but if nothing else you've given me a bunch of terms to google. :D
Kind of par for the course for an LM post.

Kidding!!!! ;)
That's quite alight, you don't want to listen to me anyway. My portfolio will attest to that. I was going to attempt to give a clarity recap but work is making me work.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I went to about 30% cash a week or so ago...sold a few shares of AMZN as well as CVS. Looks like a great buying opportunity for CVS, IF you believe, like many analysts do, that AMZN can't possibly "solve" a problem like healthcare. I honestly don't know. I know that it's not like breaking into retail, or media content. It's a whole 'nother beast, with relationships at high levels required, etc.

We'll see.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I came a across a really good essay on the "The Psychology of Money"

Here are the 20 flaws, biases, and causes of bad behavior seen by Morgan Housel, and if you start reading the source, be sure to get through the whole opening anecdote.
Earned success and deserved failure fallacy: A tendency to underestimate the role of luck and risk, and a failure to recognize that luck and risk are different sides of the same coin.

Cost avoidance syndrome: A failure to identify the true costs of a situation, with too much emphasis on financial costs while ignoring the emotional price that must be paid to win a reward.

Rich man in the car paradox.

A tendency to adjust to current circumstances in a way that makes forecasting your future desires and actions difficult, resulting in the inability to capture long-term compounding rewards that come from current decisions.

Anchored-to-your-own-history bias: Your personal experiences make up maybe 0.00000001% of what’s happened in the world but maybe 80% of how you think the world works.

Historians are Prophets fallacy: Not seeing the irony that history is the study of surprises and changes while using it as a guide to the future. An overreliance on past data as a signal to future conditions in a field where innovation and change is the lifeblood of progress.

The seduction of pessimism in a world where optimism is the most reasonable stance.

Underappreciating the power of compounding, driven by the tendency to intuitively think about exponential growth in linear terms.

Attachment to social proof in a field that demands contrarian thinking to achieve above-average results.

An appeal to academia in a field that is governed not by clean rules but loose and unpredictable trends.

The social utility of money coming at the direct expense of growing money; wealth is what you don’t see.

A tendency toward action in a field where the first rule of compounding is to never interrupt it unnecessarily.

Underestimating the need for room for error, not just financially but mentally and physically.

A tendency to be influenced by the actions of other people who are playing a different financial game than you are.

An attachment to financial entertainment due to the fact that money is emotional, and emotions are revved up by argument, extreme views, flashing lights, and threats to your wellbeing.

Optimism bias in risk-taking, or “Russian Roulette should statistically work” syndrome: An over attachment to favorable odds when the downside is unacceptable in any circumstance.

A preference for skills in a field where skills don’t matter if they aren’t matched with the right behavior.

Denial of inconsistencies between how you think the world should work and how the world actually works, driven by a desire to form a clean narrative of cause and effect despite the inherent complexities of everything involving money.

Political beliefs driving financial decisions, influenced by economics being a misbehaved cousin of politics.

The three-month bubble: Extrapolating the recent past into the near future, and then overestimating the extent to which whatever you anticipate will happen in the near future will impact your future.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:09 pm I went to about 30% cash a week or so ago...
Is the world ending. 8-)

Serious though I get the urge to go hard to cash. I however am just going to ride my diversified portfolio. I market timed correctly once when I saw the crash coming a long way out in 2008 and went almost 100% bonds/cash in August of that year. I'm going to assume I'll never get close to that lucky ever again. Therefore, I'll just continue to monthly allocate 401k and investment cash to a basket of stocks/etfs/bonds/alternative investments/etc. and plan to just ride the dips and rises. At some point it became too much.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All of my Roth IRA contributions are sitting in cash. I haven't made a purchase since October. That purchase (IVV) is up 8.67% since then, however, so perhaps I should reconsider.

Maybe after 3Q results start showing tariff results.