Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: They might even be able to drive some value by optimizing that network with other capabilities.
I'm thinking this was the big draw.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

One of you wizes at reading prospectuseseseses can you help me understand OTEX. Give my an opinion. Every time I turn around they have acquired another major B2B player. The model of the last 5 years is going to see them in charge of the B2B world, which seems to be a good business move and yet I have no idea if they are financially solid. Working with about 8 of their acquired companies, I can say I have mixed feelings about the way they do business.

I feel like throwing money at them would be good, but they breaks two rules I have going right now.

1) No more investing in anything until I can afford to pay cash for a new car.
2) No more investing in individual companies until I have a much bigger portion of my portfolio in indexes (and possibly other diverse investing in ??? ) and can treat individual business investments as a sort of expensive lesson/entertainment/gamble. My track record with individual investments is terrible, even when they looks sound to me on paper.

But it feels so right. Stupid emotions.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'll give OTEX a read if I get a chance. But based just on what you said, you should be looking at their buyout targets.

RAD down around 28% on the new WBA deal. Not every day someone buys $5b of your stores and gives you $325m in a breakup fee. Deal is for about half the stores originally intended. Fred's is down around 20%. They were supposed to get the scraps to appease the FTC.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I will see if I can find that and examine it. Thank you. Which is not to say that I'll buy, I'm having job insecurity feelings and saving for car problems.

But it makes me sad watching my portfolio sit still. It's been about a year since I put anything into it, which means aside from maxing tax sheltered retirement, I have nothing to show for the last year's work. That's not good for someone in 40s with little savings/investment who has his desperate eyes on the prize of retiring in his 50s.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Big day for F. Weak June sales but good 2017 outlook.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I've had a decent position in SCCO (essentially Copper) for awhile, just reinvesting dividends, but I've been thinking about getting out. It's trending up in advance of earnings this week, and earlier this year I was thinking I'd set a sell at $40, but the trend has me thinking it could bounce a bit more.

Some analysis:
...the year-to-date performance of Southern Copper relative to the performance of the mining ETF. The fund is up nearly 4% in that time but the stock has outperformed the broader space by 14%, and it looks like that trend may continue.

Two weeks ago, SCCO broke above the $36.50 resistance level of a four-month rounded bottoming pattern, and has gone on to form a small bullish flag pattern. The commodity channel index, which can be used as an overbought/oversold indicator or a trend indicator, is above the 100 level and is, in this case, more likely reflecting trend strength.
Any thoughts?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Can I ask what platform you guys are trading on? I haven't done much in the way of investment unless it was through my now defunct 401K. I signed up for Robinhood, but haven't put any money into it yet. Just wondering what you are using.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ameritrade's ToS mostly. I have accounts on Fidelity and Ally but do everything except the actual orders in ToS. Their mobile app is decent too.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

USAA, mainly. Though I have money spread out in a few other areas, too.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I use Ameritrade primarily, but also have accounts with Fidelity (work IRA), Etrade (company stock) and Scottrade (for my Mom's Roth that I manage).

As a platform, Ameritrade is fine, though I hate the fact that in 2017, you still can only look at one year of history at a time for transactions. But they do have access to the in depth Credit Suisse company reports that are not that easy to get otherwise, and that alone is worth using them for me personally.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Scottrade Elite app, here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Scottrade. No smartphone so no aps. I buy and hold and don't play any games with options or bonds or anything else, so I don't really need a lot of bells and whistles. It does what I want, so I'm happy.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote:Scottrade. No smartphone so no aps. I buy and hold and don't play any games with options or bonds or anything else, so I don't really need a lot of bells and whistles. It does what I want, so I'm happy.
FWIW, it's a Windows app. Even outside of options and the like, it's useful for its closer-to-realtime views.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Scottrade. No smartphone so no aps. I buy and hold and don't play any games with options or bonds or anything else, so I don't really need a lot of bells and whistles. It does what I want, so I'm happy.
FWIW, it's a Windows app. Even outside of options and the like, it's useful for its closer-to-realtime views.

Ah, I still don't use it but I'm again, my investment is simple. Save lots (for me) of money. Buy a block of stocks (or my usually mutual fund ETFs) when I hit enough money to feel comfortable buying stocks. Watch the market tank and cry. Additionally, lawbeefaroni turned me on to scottrade FRIP, which I set and forget until such a time as I get to nice round number on a particular security and then move to another.

And speaking of, it looks like if life doesn't fall apart, in the September/October timeframe I will have saved enough to increase my portfolio for the first time in a year so I should be upping my holdings in one of my indexes, so batten down the hatches...
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Brokerage account is with Wells Fargo - I just use theirs. Could probably do better in terms of fees by shopping around, but I'm not a very active trader - mostly buy and hold on DRIP with only a transaction or two a year, and this way I could leverage the funds for the remodel Line of Credit.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

This is what I am using, if you want to check it out. Anyone that signs up gets a free stock. I also get one, to be honest. When I signed up I got a free share of Groupon.
http://share.robinhood.com/davide485

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote:I've had a decent position in SCCO (essentially Copper) for awhile, just reinvesting dividends, but I've been thinking about getting out. It's trending up in advance of earnings this week, and earlier this year I was thinking I'd set a sell at $40, but the trend has me thinking it could bounce a bit more.

Some analysis:
...the year-to-date performance of Southern Copper relative to the performance of the mining ETF. The fund is up nearly 4% in that time but the stock has outperformed the broader space by 14%, and it looks like that trend may continue.

Two weeks ago, SCCO broke above the $36.50 resistance level of a four-month rounded bottoming pattern, and has gone on to form a small bullish flag pattern. The commodity channel index, which can be used as an overbought/oversold indicator or a trend indicator, is above the 100 level and is, in this case, more likely reflecting trend strength.
Any thoughts?
Well I did it, and SCCO rapidly plummeted to around $38.50. Kicked myself for a bit, but left the order in place, and today for about 10 minutes it crested $40 (though I didn't see any information in the yahoo finance feed today as to why), which after the past week, I'm happy with (may need the money, and I'm not too sad about getting out of mining stocks).

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So, It's been about a year since I put any money away. Come October I was finally gonna be in the position to put a bit into my portfolio, so naturally "the market" is on a tear right now.

Well, good for the money I have in it, I guess. Not so good for my DRIP (or FRIP as scottrade calls it)

I'm tempted to grow my savings a bit past the October timeframe with the crazy ass increases of the last week plus.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote:So, It's been about a year since I put any money away. Come October I was finally gonna be in the position to put a bit into my portfolio, so naturally "the market" is on a tear right now.

Well, good for the money I have in it, I guess. Not so good for my DRIP (or FRIP as scottrade calls it)

I'm tempted to grow my savings a bit past the October timeframe with the crazy ass increases of the last week plus.
Bought AMZN and TSM last week. TSM was just off a 52 week high. AMZN is close to an all time high.

Right now I'm just looking for "best" instead of value.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And yeah, wishing my funding windows was in the July/August timeframe right about now. VTI is my next scheduled purchase when I have enough saved and along with everything else it's humming along.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Yesterday was a huge earnings day for the tech industry, as MSFT, GOOG, and AMZN are all up big today after earnings.

MSFT is up almost 8%

GOOG is up 6.5%.

AMZN is up almost 11%.

AAPL is also up a bit today (2%) after iPhone X pre-orders sold out in minutes last night.

This is a good day for my portfolio, especially once today's gains get taken into account in a couple mutual funds I own.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:48 am Yesterday was a huge earnings day for the tech industry, as MSFT, GOOG, and AMZN are all up big today after earnings.

MSFT is up almost 8%

GOOG is up 6.5%.

AMZN is up almost 11%.

AAPL is also up a bit today (2%) after iPhone X pre-orders sold out in minutes last night.

This is a good day for my portfolio, especially once today's gains get taken into account in a couple mutual funds I own.
Yeah, Amazon ended up +128.52/share today. Wow!

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It’s weird how on seeing those results, my first impulse is to kick myself for not owning more. Wouldn’t hurt to every now and again say “well done, self, good decision!” I’ll blame my Dad for that particular quirk of mine. :P
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:12 pm It’s weird how on seeing those results, my first impulse is to kick myself for not owning more. Wouldn’t hurt to every now and again say “well done, self, good decision!” I’ll blame my Dad for that particular quirk of mine. :P
Yeah, I initially bought 15 shares around 170, then bought another 10 at around 270. It's 'felt' too expensive to buy more since then, even when I try to convince myself that if they did a 10-1 stock split, it would feel more affordable, even if the ownership/share is still the same.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

That's a pretty good ROI!
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:25 pm That's a pretty good ROI!
Paper gains only for now, as I'm a buy and hold kind of investor, but it sure is nice to watch ;)

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:12 pm Wouldn’t hurt to every now and again say “well done, self, good decision!” I’ll blame my Dad for that particular quirk of mine. :P

Are we brothers?

It looks like my one and only forray into penny stocks went belly up yesterday. I only put a few a few hundred in to them, so it was a like couple year long really bad day crap table for a learning experience.

The question then becomes what does this mean to me? Do I somehow write this off on my taxes? I never sell stock. I buy and hold and dream of retirement. Can I write that off against my dividend "income"? Will they send me tax forms?

That said, still no investments for 2017. This year and most of last year was basically spent saving for a car that I still haven't bought, having fixed my Focus while waiting for prices on the Escape to seem reasonable which never happened. It's nice to have a cushion, though. Currently my savings for the rest of the year are to be able to get my Roth IRA for 2018 right at the beginning of the year. It feels like I am making no progress at all even though I know I am.
Wouldn’t hurt to every now and again say “well done, self, good decision!” I’ll blame my Dad for that particular quirk of mine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I dropped $1k in IVV last week. I have a mental hurdle of buying the same stock a second time when the value has increased. So far, I've made 5 purchases under the Roth IRA: FTEC, IVV, IVW, RSP, and XAR.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:54 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:12 pm Wouldn’t hurt to every now and again say “well done, self, good decision!” I’ll blame my Dad for that particular quirk of mine. :P

Are we brothers?

It looks like my one and only forray into penny stocks went belly up yesterday. I only put a few a few hundred in to them, so it was a like couple year long really bad day crap table for a learning experience.

The question then becomes what does this mean to me? Do I somehow write this off on my taxes? I never sell stock. I buy and hold and dream of retirement. Can I write that off against my dividend "income"? Will they send me tax forms?

That said, still no investments for 2017. This year and most of last year was basically spent saving for a car that I still haven't bought, having fixed my Focus while waiting for prices on the Escape to seem reasonable which never happened. It's nice to have a cushion, though. Currently my savings for the rest of the year are to be able to get my Roth IRA for 2018 right at the beginning of the year. It feels like I am making no progress at all even though I know I am.
Wouldn’t hurt to every now and again say “well done, self, good decision!” I’ll blame my Dad for that particular quirk of mine.
You can write the loss off against any cap gains I think. I just send my totals to the accountant and he figures it out. I'll keep a loser rather than selling to keep the tax benefit for when I have a lot of gains. There's probably a way to carry over losses year to year but I just do the same year.

AMD is killing me but I've had it since $2 so it's hard to get upset. I bought some AMZN a few months before earnings, at like $970. But my favorite move so far was TSM. I've been trying to get more tech to diversify my defense and DOW 30s heavy portfolio. I have a lit of CAT, BA, DIS, F, etc. Tech has always been in my speculative account (see AMD above) but AMZN, GOOGL, and TSM are moving on up to the long-term account.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So you're saying going belly up is worse for buy and hold investors than it is for active traders. Ah well, it wasn't too expensive of a lesson and I always wanted to see how penny stocks work. I was thinking Lithium was a solid thing for the future. Yet another one to file under, just stick with the indexes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:32 am So you're saying going belly up is worse for buy and hold investors than it is for active traders. Ah well, it wasn't too expensive of a lesson and I always wanted to see how penny stocks work. I was thinking Lithium was a solid thing for the future. Yet another one to file under, just stick with the indexes.
Going belly up is fine, you don't have to write off the loss when it went belly up, just when you close it out. I think, check with a professional, obviously.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Interesting. I don't know that it's worth consulting a professional. As I said it's a couple of hundred dollars, so the write off would be a fraction of that but it does jive with why I still see my shares on Scottrade while the show a bunch of -- next to it and I can't look up the symbol anymore.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:03 am Interesting. I don't know that it's worth consulting a professional. As I said it's a couple of hundred dollars, so the write off would be a fraction of that but it does jive with why I still see my shares on Scottrade while the show a bunch of -- next to it and I can't look up the symbol anymore.
For a couple of hundred dollars, even if it had gone the other way, the IRS will not care. Don't even have to use the loss this year. In fact, it would benefit you to wait to claim it in a year when you have any short term capital gains to offset those (if you sell anything less than a year after buying, in a "taxable" account.

Since it's in your interest to claim the loss in your taxes (again, for that small amount, don't expect a lot back) if you want to do it, your brokerage should send you the tax form some time after December. If you use Turbotax or the like, you don't have to worry about which forms, just answer the questions as asked. Otherwise you will need Schedule D and one other...can't remember the number (it's the one re: Cap gains and losses)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My former employer finally clawed back my non-vested amounts. Imagine my surprise when I log into my account and see a cliff on 11/15 of an $8k loss.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Finally getting to the point where I can up investments, about four months behind schedule. it feels like I will hit point shortly before XMas, and that everything is going to suffer serious deflation right after. My 401k, boy, if I could count on the gains I've seen since September, I could retire right now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So, how come none of you told me to buy Bitcoins back in March?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:31 pm So, how come none of you told me to buy Bitcoins back in March?
Tulips were a better investment.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Didn't Moliere and Matrix tell you to buy Etherium? I still think, as RM9 and others state, crypto-currency (as it stands now) is tulips.

Edit...

And bam....
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D