Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

noxiousdog

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by noxiousdog »

malchior wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:Back to Amazon. Thoughts on this article?
The thoughts on Amazon here sound about right though I think it is focusing on stuff that is just too far over the horizon right now. Could Alexa be huge for them? Sure but Amazon is firing on multiple cylinders and showing outstanding success now. On the cloud side AWS is a major profit center that keeps on giving. On the retail side they've used free cash (a large share from AWS) to build out infrastructure. They are at a point that they are now doing delivery using their own fleets with some USPS/Lasership supplementation. I haven't seen an Amazon package come via UPS/Fedex in about 6 months now. They are truly poised to dominate multiple sectors. That they haven't settled for success in retail or cloud computing is commendable. They aren't sitting still - and they generally succeed. I can't see anyone seeing anything but upside there now.
I have no idea if Amazon retail will be significantly profitable. I really can't see them making more profit Wal-mart in that regard. Cloud, though, is already amazing and will continue to be so. I'm a consumer at the enterprise level and have been impressed on every level. In addition, Amazon has hired many Oracle developers to turn Postgres into a viable enterprise level database. With Oracle's complete lack of compromise on cloud database licensing do not be surprised if Amazon takes 70% of Oracle's business,with 20% going to Microsoft and Oracle going the way of Sybase.

AI is going to be the next revolution. Alexa is nice, but google is way ahead of them. I would not be surprised if they join forces in this regard as I am skeptical anyone can catch google unless it's completely under wraps. But google is so confident they are leading the game, they've open sourced a lot of their research.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote:With Oracle's complete lack of compromise on cloud database licensing do not be surprised if Amazon takes 70% of Oracle's business,with 20% going to Microsoft and Oracle going the way of Sybase.
MS is going to be suffering similar problems IMO. In a world where their marketshare already seems to be slipping on all fronts, changing their enterprise licensing from machine based to core based as a cash grab, I think, is going to backfire on them dramatically in the business world where information is open sourced and freemium based and the next generation has already adapted to this distribution model.'

People have been proclaiming the death-knell of MS since the rise of Linux but I really think their refusal to see the millennial and post millennial mind set is going to be a marginalizing kick in the groin to the platform and suites of products, probably within a decade. Maybe less at the rate of change we are seeing in the current digitized age.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:With Oracle's complete lack of compromise on cloud database licensing do not be surprised if Amazon takes 70% of Oracle's business,with 20% going to Microsoft and Oracle going the way of Sybase.
MS is going to be suffering similar problems IMO. In a world where their marketshare already seems to be slipping on all fronts, changing their enterprise licensing from machine based to core based as a cash grab, I think, is going to backfire on them dramatically in the business world where information is open sourced and freemium based and the next generation has already adapted to this distribution model.'

People have been proclaiming the death-knell of MS since the rise of Linux but I really think their refusal to see the millennial and post millennial mind set is going to be a marginalizing kick in the groin to the platform and suites of products, probably within a decade. Maybe less at the rate of change we are seeing in the current digitized age.
I disagree. Azure is already competitive with AWS for specific tasks. In addition, they are cooperating with Amazon so that Amazon can sell SQL Server licenses at a reasonable rate. Oracle is four times that (estimated). In addition, the subscription model that Microsoft is using for Office 365 is reasonable especially when it eliminates the upgrade cycle. I think they are very well poised for the future.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't had money to put away for a long time, as I have been saving for a car but it likes F is going to dip back below $12, which is the 5% mark on dividends. That's my magic spot.

I had thought I would be several investment chunks ahead of where I'm at by now, but accelerating the timeline for the whole "It will soon be time for another car" thing has really put damper on building that retirement since at least the middle of last year. I'm not sure where the bottom of this valley will be but it would be a good point for my play games if it weren't for the singular focus on getting a car.

Edit:

Morgan Stanley says F will go as low as $11. If it gets into below $11 territory, I may actually pull some of my car savings...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I've lost about $3K on Ford since Friday. :grund:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I've lost about $3K on Ford since Friday. :grund:
Ouch. I've been accumulating F on the Scottrade "FRIP" tyou pointed out last year and even falling to $11 I'll be doing OK after dividends. I haven't actively bought F until the last time is was below $12 in January or February of last year. I can't seem me finding a way to pay more than $12 a share unless the magic of "exponential growth" somehow makes supply chain and manufacturing labor cheaper costs. (Robots will eventually cause the later, but not for a while yet, I don't figure)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Problem with F is that their new sales suck, and has sucked, relatively, for years (disclaimer: I own quite a few shares, and have been buying and holding since around 2012)

I bought some GM either last year or yeR before and the difference is stunning considering they are direct competitors.

I really don't know WHY their sales suck though. The vehicles themselves are (finally) really good, and high quality. Prices too high compared to competitors maybe, dunno.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Man, you guys are living on the edge. What is your investment thesis that leads you to invest in individual stocks whose core competency is internal-combustion engine technology in 2017? Too risky for me. Not that I'm any less risky with some cash in TSLA, but when ICE is pretty clearly at the beginning of its death spiral, F and GM don't seem likely to be long-term winners to me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:Man, you guys are living on the edge. What is your investment thesis that leads you to invest in individual stocks whose core competency is internal-combustion engine technology in 2017? Too risky for me. Not that I'm any less risky with some cash in TSLA, but when ICE is pretty clearly at the beginning of its death spiral, F and GM don't seem likely to be long-term winners to me.
1) It's a small portion of my personal portfolio aimed at early retirement.
2) While I concur the internal combustion engine is in the beginning of the its death spiral a few things
> The manufacturing sector will have to adapt, as of today, not even the mighty Tesla understands how to scale its manufacturing, even as they take all of their earnings and invest in "non linear" growth.
> The death spiral will likely come quick but not so quick as to not see where a company is and if they are adapting properly.
3) The dividends are good and they aren't based on aether or lies.
4) All individual stock seem to be mistake from my experience. :shock: :grund: but as long as I keep what I'm throwing at them small and when I can afford to throw something small, it's a learning experience. I'd say it's entertainment, but the amount of money I am throwing is too much to be called entertainment.folio aimed at early retirement.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote:Man, you guys are living on the edge. What is your investment thesis that leads you to invest in individual stocks whose core competency is internal-combustion engine technology in 2017? Too risky for me. Not that I'm any less risky with some cash in TSLA, but when ICE is pretty clearly at the beginning of its death spiral, F and GM don't seem likely to be long-term winners to me.
It'll be a contraction - the mix will change and I think the manufacturers will adjust to that reality. There will be a push-pull as energy prices decline that'll move the needle for ROI back and forth for years to come. That said the big players are big enough to weather the change. I just wouldn't want to own them in the transition though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: I just wouldn't want to own them in the transition though.
This would be the point. I'm not arguing that Ford and GM are going to die. But I sure wouldn't want to own them when the disruption really hits. Disruptive changes tend to be slow until they're not. I think the 'not' point is approaching.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote:
This would be the point. I'm not arguing that Ford and GM are going to die. But I sure wouldn't want to own them when the disruption really hits. Disruptive changes tend to be slow until they're not. I think the 'not' point is approaching.
I took the death spiral literally. The disruption definitely is coming. Who knows if they even survive as individual entities.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:
The disruption is already hitting. Don't think GM, Ford, FCA, (Toyota, Honda, Kia, VW, etc...) aren't aware of this and aren't trying to course correct. They've seen Uber and Lyft. They know kids don't want to own a car. They've kit cars and Teslas and Google. They've seen what Amazon did to book stores and then Big Box retail. They've seen how a lack of flexibility brought down Yahoo.

However, the disruption won't be as complete because you can't digitize transportation (at least not as physics knows how today) and even the lesser disruption to the transition to electric won't happen for until we build a better battery.

Now if we ever find a way a safe, cheap, reliable, on demand way to do mass transit in and out of rural domestic areas. The Auto OEMs are FUBAR. (I think that is the end game for the self driving ride share)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
I took the death spiral literally. The disruption definitely is coming. Who knows if they even survive as individual entities.
I'm also not arguing that they'll live. :) I can absolutely see a scenario where they die--even the Bolt is basically an LG drivetrain with some GM-collated parts around it. As part of following Tesla I also try to keep an eye on what the other OEMs are doing with electrics, and I just haven't seen much to suggest that they are planning for many hundreds of thousands of EVs in the next 2-3 years. We've even got Toyota and some others still pimping hydrogen, which just makes no sense at all to me. Take an EV, add a much more carbon-intensive process to fuel it (which also requires incredibly more-expensive infrastructure buildout than plain-jane EVs), then ..., and finally profit?

But GM's looking at something like 30k-50k Bolts, and I haven't seen any evidence that anyone other than Tesla is in the process of building out enough cell capacity to support more than relatively token production of 200+ mile EVs. We've got promises of various vehicles coming in the next 1-3 years (as we've had consistently for the past 4 years since the Model S started to take off), but little in the way of significant battery factory buildouts--there literally is not enough battery cell supply in the world for manufacturers to suddenly pivot to hundreds of thousands/millions of EVs/year. LG Chem last month announced that they are indeed expanding, but I don't think that's anywhere near the scale of Tesla's Gigafactory. We'd need to see several Gigafactories' worth of expansion this year if non-Tesla EV production will shoot way up in 1-3 years. Time will tell, I guess. It's interesting to me because if EV demand really does take off and Tesla's the only manufacturer with adequate cell supply/cost, the fireworks will be fun to watch.
LordMortis wrote: even the lesser disruption to the transition to electric won't happen for until we build a better battery.
I wouldn't count on that. Current batteries are fine once the cost comes down a bit further (and it will in the next 12 months as supply from the Gigafactory grows). Teslas see very little degradation over large numbers of miles, and current 135 kW Supercharging is sufficient for most folks as their build-outs continue. That said, 300+ kW chargers are starting to go in, and Tesla's rumored to upgrade Supercharging to 300+ kW in the next year or so, too. Once Model 3s start showing up in numbers and folks who today have never considered an EV are exposed to them, I am betting that demand will skyrocket. When you have a 215-mile range and can refuel in 30 minutes or less (soon to be 10-15 minutes), and have a superior driving experience that comes with the instant torque of an EV, what's the problem with current tech again?

Of course, my view that we're all going electric sooner rather than later could be entirely incorrect, in which case these OEMs are making the right move. Especially given the current administration's signals, perhaps I will be proven wrong.

Apologies for somewhat derailing this thread.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I like your vision, but I don't see it happening on your time line. LordMortis' 10 years is even too fast, imo. Maybe 20. I live in the south, though, where the pick up truck is a way of life for many people, so I'm probably biased in polar opposition to you. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:I like your vision, but I don't see it happening on your time line. LordMortis' 10 years is even too fast, imo. Maybe 20. I live in the south, though, where the pick up truck is a way of life for many people, so I'm probably biased in polar opposition to you. :D
Yeah, it could definitely take any number of paths, and my experiences having driven a range of EVs could have lead to bias rather than insight.

Big disruptions to the status quo are so hard to predict. Remember Blackberry and the rest of the smartphone scene in the early 2000s? Smartphones were just around the corner. So close. Could take off any year now. Then the iPhone hit, and that clearly wasn't it.

Then Blackberry/Nokia died within a few years, Apple has eleventy quadrillion dollars in the bank and even grandma (who had you asked her in 2006 whether she wanted a handheld computer that also made phone calls would have answered in the negatory with gusto) has a smartphone. I see a lot of similarities with electric vehicles--objectively superior on so many levels to ICE, but with cost and some functionality drawbacks today that will fade with additional development and as volume rises. But it's clear to me that EVs are going to entirely or nearly entirely displace ICE vehicles. Just a question of the timing, and who leads the way.

I'm curious--have you guys driven a Tesla, Bolt, or other full EV?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:Current batteries are fine once the cost comes down a bit further (and it will in the next 12 months as supply from the Gigafactory grows).
https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/01/no-cobalt-no-tesla/

The idea is to learn to shift away from current batteries so that price can come down further before scarcity starts to drive the price up.
Substitution. “Ceteris paribus” is key here. A complete shift away from high-energy batteries looks hypothetical at this stage: NMC, NCA and LCO batteries provide the highest energy density as reported by Battery University, and all require cobalt. However, there has been recently efforts to produce other types of battery chemistries that do not require cobalt as stated by the CRU. Tesla has also been trying to remove cobalt from the equation and add nickel instead, according to its CTO JB Straubel.

We may well see a quick turnaround from cobalt-intensive batteries toward a validated and optimized new high-energy battery technology should it go online. And the high costs triggered by a shift away from traditional batteries might prove beneficial when opposed with the prospects a cobalt cliff. So far attempts for substituting cobalt resulted in a loss in product performance. But nothing is set in stone.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think the postulation that there's a cobalt crisis is overblown. We'll see, I guess. Tesla has already changed chemistries (the new 100D models use a different cell size and chemistry, as do v2 Tesla Energy products) and I'm sure as you cited they are looking to reduce cobalt specifically given its sourcing difficulties (speaking more to labor situation than scaricty here). They've also got some big-name battery researchers with any future breakthroughs already agreed to tie to Tesla.

But I think that article's more click-bait than anything with its 'Is Tesla Doomed? Not Necessarily' verbiage.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I have not driven a full EV (other than a golf cart )

I will add more detail about the fundamentals of the F investing thesis later, but here's an anecdote/analogy to tide you over: Maybe a decade ago (probably much more), I was a kind of moderator on a certain Fool investing site. We had all kinds of internal pro/con 'battles' for up and coming stocks.

At the time, I owned a small company called Netflix. However, I was pumping the SELL button due to the simple fact that Netflix was solely a media based (DVD) product at the time.

Around the same time, average internet household speeds were increasing, and streaming video was cranking up.

My theory was that Netflix showed no signs of adapting to the changing environmental conditions of the market they sold into (like Blockbuster to some degree)

My point is that Ford sees the future, probably better than non ICE companies, after all, it's an existential problem for them right? Lots of incentive there for strategic and long term planning and R&D.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you start hiding the electric car talk in the investment thread, how is Jeff going to find it to start bitching about range?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet: I hear you, but in this case it's not something that can be largely done behind the scenes. If F is going to transition, it's a multi-year process and will be publicly known for the duration of that process (as we'll see a multi-billion dollar battery capex hit well before the volume EVs arrive).

Also, for a legacy automaker like Ford, there's also a tremendous innovator's dilemma disincentive to switch to battery vehicles, as it will necessarily obsolete their existing crown jewels and products while also incurring high costs simultaneously. And it also threatens the dealer network who rely largely on service revenue which will drop significantly in an EV world.

So no, it's not clear that a transition is something legacy automakers can or will just decide to go ahead and do. Of course, maybe some will. While the cell phone world lost Nokia, Palm, and Blackberry, Samsung pivoted just fine.
Isgrimnur wrote:If you start hiding the electric car talk in the investment thread, how is Jeff going to find it to start bitching about range?
Ha, truth.

I think we've well and truly taken this thread far afield now, so perhaps if we want to continue the EV talk it should go to the Tesla thread?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Are we not discussing long term challenges to F as an investment? Pretty topical if you ask me!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

True! I guess I'm sensitive to my tendency to get chatty about EVs.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I have a couple of friends who are very happy with their Ford Fusions. They do seem to be the best American hybrids out there (anecdotally only).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote:True! I guess I'm sensitive to my tendency to get chatty about EVs.
I have a friend who has a model S and 2 pre orders. The running joke is that 99% of conversations with him turn to Tesla.

Love him but fuck, Ferrari owners aren't as chatty about their cars.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's fair. Also, perhaps it tells you something.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If a vegan Tesla owner does Crossfit, which one does he tell you about first?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote:I'm curious--have you guys driven a Tesla, Bolt, or other full EV?
I've test driven a Volt but a full EV. I would love to get a full EV as long as the range was in that 200+ mpc, but my wife will never let me as long as recharge times are in that 30-60 minute range. 10-15 minutes for a full charge might be doable. In the meantime, the Volt is a decent compromise as I generally drive under 50 miles per day anyway.

And her concern is all because we might need to take it on a long trip some day. I think as the recharge infrastructure builds out and the batteries get better, I might be able to convince her. I'm kind of surprised gas stations or McDonalds haven't started putting in rechargers. Having a captive customer to fill sell to for 30-60 minutes would seem to be a benefit.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Shell is starting, but not in the US. I think that's a trend we'll start to see if/when the Model 3 or some combo of fast-charging EVs are selling hundreds of thousands of units/year.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote:My point is that Ford sees the future, probably better than non ICE companies, after all, it's an existential problem for them right? Lots of incentive there for strategic and long term planning and R&D.
F mgmt surely sees the problem. And probably has big strategic concerns to deal with. Are they going to be able to gracefully taper to the right level of ICE vs. EV? There are capital investment concerns there. Do they automate more and cut costs versus go all in on EV? How much institutional resistance do they face? Can they get top talent to develop new tech in a crowded and increasingly desperate market? Especially against Tesla or Uber? A lot of uncertainty there.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:I would love to get a full EV as long as the range was in that 200+ mpc, but my wife will never let me as long as recharge times are in that 30-60 minute range. 10-15 minutes for a full charge might be doable. In the meantime, the Volt is a decent compromise as I generally drive under 50 miles per day anyway.
The Volt is a good compromise car (I say that with no hint of sarcasm, as I've heard of more than a few Volt owners who love their Volts. And for a PHEV, it does better than most with its 50+ miles of electric range. But that back seat is turrible.
And her concern is all because we might need to take it on a long trip some day. I think as the recharge infrastructure builds out and the batteries get better, I might be able to convince her.
My wife was in the same boat, until I actually timed our stops on our last big 1000+ mile road trip. Which, first of all, we'd likely take the bigger car anyway for sheer space/comfort reasons, but anyway. With kids, we stopped a grand total of twice in that 1000 miles for fewer than 20 minutes. 20 minutes at 120 kW is 40 kWh charged, which even in a relatively giant Model X is 115 miles added. Our more routine stops (food, etc) were easily 40 minutes. 40 minutes at a 90 kW average (the average drops with longer charge sessions due to tapering as the pack fills) is around 175 miles added.

Those are conservative estimates using just about the least-efficient EV possible (due to its large size), and current charge standards.

That was enough to get her on board with the idea of a Model 3 or other similar 200+ mile EV. Of course, this relies on a model with true fast-charge capability, not the 50ish kW charging available on the Bolt. Will be interesting to see what the new Leaf (to be revealed in Sept and sold by Dec, supposedly) does on this front. The rumor mill has it at 200+ mile range, similar to the Bolt, but with some level of autonomous driving capability. And my guess is that Nissan isn't going to stick with 50 kW charging like the current Leaf supports. If they come in at 100 kW+ then I think the Leaf could be the first true Model 3 competition (on a functionality level, not likely on an acceleration performance level). The end-of-year timing is about right to hit the market around the time the Model 3 starts trickling out in any significant numbers, too.
malchior wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:My point is that Ford sees the future, probably better than non ICE companies, after all, it's an existential problem for them right? Lots of incentive there for strategic and long term planning and R&D.
F mgmt surely sees the problem. And probably has big strategic concerns to deal with. Are they going to be able to gracefully taper to the right level of ICE vs. EV? There are capital investment concerns there. Do they automate more and cut costs versus go all in on EV? How much institutional resistance do they face? Can they get top talent to develop new tech in a crowded and increasingly desperate market? Especially against Tesla or Uber? A lot of uncertainty there.
That's a much better way to explain what I tried to convey yesterday. These traditional automakers have *large* incentives to *not* just flip a switch and scoot over to EVs, even if we assume that they can do so when they decide it's time. Billions upon billions of dollars in stranded fixed assets, existing product lines that will be less appealing and more difficult to sell when positioned next to EVs (or, if they drag their feet on making the EVs they choose to develop compelling, then a different but no less severe problem), dealers that are not interested in selling EVs and have a financial incentive to instead keep the ICE gravy train rolling, and billions upon billions of dollars in new R&D. Remember that most automakers these days specialize in ICE design and manufacture and outsource nearly everything else.

And if I'm a top-tier software developer looking to get into autonomous vehicle development, infotainment dev, etc, am I going to be more excited about going to work for Tesla, Uber, or a smaller upstart like Lucid--or Ford? Hint: the answer is definitely not Ford.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

On the flip side, it certainly seems as if Uber is imploding,and could well be a non-factor if they can't handle their growth.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:Carpet: I hear you, but in this case it's not something that can be largely done behind the scenes. If F is going to transition, it's a multi-year process and will be publicly known for the duration of that process (as we'll see a multi-billion dollar battery capex hit well before the volume EVs arrive).
http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/f ... /96109758/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/10/technol ... ving-cars/

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/g ... /79059648/
And if I'm a top-tier software developer looking to get into autonomous vehicle development, infotainment dev, etc, am I going to be more excited about going to work for Tesla, Uber, or a smaller upstart like Lucid--or Ford? Hint: the answer is definitely not Ford.
The Silicon Valley entrepreneur's and investor optimism in disruption is a challenge for all predictions. I don't have a magic 8 Ball or anything reasonable yet to examine for how that's all going to shake out. Not for corporations. Not for governments. Not for investors. Not for workers. I do see both a huge optimism and a huge resistance and I have no idea who is winning at what nor even who is being reasonable.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Ford 'electric vehicle plan' is largely hot air at this point. Much of it focuses on hybrids (scratch them--that's the present, not the future. It is, IMO, counterproductive to put much development into hybrids at this stage since they are a more complex transition technology whose utility timeframe is extremely limited). When a company uses the term 'electrified' to refer to hybrids, it's a sign that they're blowing smoke. That link seems carefully crafted to sound impressive without actually being impressive.

For example, where's the investment into a large Ford-only battery factory? (Or one that's multi-OEM shared but much bigger than Tesla's Gigafactory?) Everything else is peanuts until that info comes out, as you can't build EVs in Ford mass-market numbers without access to quantities of batteries which do not exist for use by one manufacturer alone outside of Tesla. It's a required step, in my view, and one that takes multiple years to play out from inception to functioning factory producing tens of GWh of batteries.

All I've seen in terms of significant battery production outside Tesla/Panasonic are:
  • LG Chem's expansion--post-expansion (meaning end of 2018), LG Chem says they can support 280,000 200-mile vehicles/year across all of their customers--who currently include the GM Bolt, Renault Zoe, Ford Focus EV, Volvo XC90/S90/XC60 T8, Chevy Volt, and others. In 2015, more than 68 million cars were produced worldwide. So LG will handle 0.04% of that number--heading into 2019.
  • There are other battery OEMs--Panasonic whose output is largely all spoken for by Tesla, AESC (Nissan), Bosch (Fiat 500e), Samsung SDI (BMW/V-Dub), SK Innovation (Hyundai/Kia) but none outside of Tesla/Panasonic seem to be gearing up for hundreds of thousands of vehicles/year from a single manufacturer.
  • Samsung SDI and SK Innovation arethe next largest expansions I'm aware of, and they're each targeting a capacity of 40k-50k EVs by late 2018 (0.01% of global vehicle production apiece). Tesla's factory is looking at handling > 500k vehicles/year on its own, and they're talking about beginning construction on multiple more similarly-sized battery factories next year.
I suppose it's possible that Ford or another OEM is well underway with construction of a gigantic battery factory, but I find that doubtful--companies tend to want to crow about that sort of thing, and it also tends to show up in financials. If one of you comes across info that Tesla's not the only one building a gigafactory-sized battery production facility, let me know as I'd find that super-exciting. Failing that, we can be pretty confident that other manufacturers are looking at either compliance car efforts or wider rollout but at still relatively small numbers (eg Bolt).

Follow the link within that Freep article to get the real Ford plan details (granted, it's from the end of 2015):
  • The 'new' Focus has a 100-mile range.
  • "We will introduce vehicles with competitive range [to Tesla/Bolt] within the five-year [from 12/2015] time frame. (In 3.75 years launching a 200-mile pilot EV will not be competing--it'll be trying hard to keep the company afloat.)
  • In the future, all new products will be designed to be powered by engines or batteries. (That's designing for compromise, not for compelling EVs. The design demands of ICE and EV differ and don't lend themselves to a shared design.)
The Argo/Maven stuff is cool. It'll take time to see whether traditional approaches eg MobilEye (develop the self-driving tech on small fleets, then roll it out when ready) or Tesla's view (develop a framework, roll it out to hundreds of thousands of vehicles, collect data, and use machine learning to improve the whole fleet at once) wins the day.

Again, my views on this stuff are not the mainstream and I could be totally wrong on the timeframes involved, or on Tesla's ability to actually ramp the Model 3 in late 2017 through mid 2018 (which in my view is the point at which they'd have to be--excuse the pun--cooking with gas in order to maintain the advantage that I believe they have). But those articles don't do much to convince me that Ford is on the cusp of leading the way on EV development.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I don't think they have to be bleeding edge EV leaders to be successful going forward.

How quickly do you think we will see EV adoption in ROW? In developing countries? China?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

But those articles don't do much to convince me that Ford is on the cusp of leading the way on EV development.
That's goal post moving. The entire topic with regard to investing is "Will Ford survive disruption if it is taken for granted that they are not on the cusp or leading the way on EV development but rather spend their resources being beholden to ICE technology with the supposition the EV will replace ICE in the near term." We then point to digitally driven markets as examples to suggest Ford will not survive the near term. I think that view (at the moment) is too simplistic. Which then goes back to one thing that could literally change every thing tomorrow. The better battery.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I don't think they have to be bleeding edge EV leaders to be successful going forward.
Bleeding edge, no--ready to produce something somewhat competitive, in volumes >100k/year/manufacturer? I think yes in the next couple of years or risk playing catch-up once the EV market starts maturing.
How quickly do you think we will see EV adoption in ROW? In developing countries? China?
Per InsideEVs, last year saw over 777,000 plug-in vehicles sold worldwide. That was 41% growth from 2015. 2015 was 71% growth from 2014, and 2014 was over 300% growth from 2013. I think we're likely to see 2017 top 1M units for the first time, and 2018 be a giant jump since Model 3 and the new Leaf should both be shipping in volume, among a bunch of smaller sales target new EVs.

For me, it's 2019 and 2020 that are the big question marks. I'd be equally unsurprised with Tesla pulling in 200,000 sales on a 1.5M global sales # as I would with them topping 500,000 on 3M global. China is a big question mark, not only in how Tesla does there, but how their local EV manufacturers (eg BYD, Kandi) do.

It's extremely difficult to make any sort of confident guess since few manufacturers outside of Tesla provide reasonable guidance on their near-term EV sales goals. I *think* Nissan is going to push the new Leaf more than they did the old (cumulative worldwide sales of a bit over 250,000 units, peaking at 60k in a year). I know Tesla's going to shoot for > 120k units this year and > 200k units in 2018 (Actually, they've said they want 500k run rate by end of 2018, but I'll believe that when I see it--currently I'm running that through the Elon filter to arrive at a more realistic expectation). GM has been mum on Bolt targets but the rumor mill says around 30k/year and max capacity around 50k/year. Mary Barra has said GM plans to roll out a bunch more full EVs in the relatively near future, but it's tough to tell whether that's hot air or whether we'll see actual new model sales in 2018 along with expanded Bolt production.

But where I think you're going with this is to question whether expansion is likely to remain at such a small percentage of worldwide sales for the next few years to the point where it's something the Fords of the world can afford to sit on the sidelines for a few more years before making a true move to transition. And that's a fair question whose answer I believe is likely to be 'yes.' But it's certainly possible that I'm entirely off my rocker with the superiority of EVs, and the Bannons/Kochs of the world succeed in snuffing out Tesla et al, and we stagnate where we're at today for the foreseeable future.

But again, disruption is tough to put a timeline on. I really think that at some point we hit a stage where the Teslas of the world do have such a leg up that coming in late becomes problematic.

Take charging--the Supercharger network is by far the most complete, fastest charging network available. It's already largely covered US interstate travel and similar highways in other markets where Tesla lives. And it's far better integrated to the vehicles than any other network, and is entirely under Tesla's control unlike every other network. Toss in the destination charging program and Tesla's charging situation is worlds ahead of anyone else's. Let them continue expanding for another 3 years and what does the situation look like for a relative new entrant? I haven't seen any other entity put forth a similarly complete plan to address charging. Even VW's government-mandated program is very hodgepodge. Ask Jeff V or stessier's wife what that's worth in terms of folks considering jumping into an EV--if they can get a Ford EV with similar range and price but no access to the Supercharger network, which will they choose? This is something that a deep-pocketed new entrant can duplicate, but not in a matter of months, and not without dumping large bundles of cash to do.

Similar but much more nebulous situation for autonomy. Tesla's collecting data today from a far larger fleet than anyone else. It's early days, but this could be an advantage.
LordMortis wrote:
But those articles don't do much to convince me that Ford is on the cusp of leading the way on EV development.
That's goal post moving. The entire topic with regard to investing is "Will Ford survive disruption if it is taken for granted that they are not on the cusp or leading the way on EV development but rather spend their resources being beholden to ICE technology with the supposition the EV will replace ICE in the near term." We then point to digitally driven markets as examples to suggest Ford will not survive the near term. I think that view (at the moment) is too simplistic. Which then goes back to one thing that could literally change every thing tomorrow. The better battery.
Yes, my comment about Ford leading the way was indeed goalpost moving--thanks for calling me on it. But the rest of my post was not. The question in my mind is not 'will Ford survive the near term' (of course they will). It's what we started with (or what I thought we started with, at least): 'is Ford a smart investment in 2017, given their lack of leadership in the electrification space?'

They'll survive. At least in the near-term. Even if they don't get on the bandwagon. But my [for-play, small potatoes] investing dollars are much more comfortable betting on Tesla than on Ford. One of these brands has effusive customers giving it world-leading satisfaction/re-buy numbers and potential future customers lining up by the hundreds of thousands to put down $1k deposits on a vehicle none of them has even seen in real-life yet, much less driven. The other is sitting on the status quo. One is developing and pushing world-changing tech. The other is talking up hybrids. It's not at all clear to me that a late-stage pivot a couple of years from now will be a winning strategy, and further it's entirely possible that the incumbents see a sharp stock price decline if Tesla does manage to ramp up as planned.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote:The question in my mind is not 'will Ford survive the near term' (of course they will). It's what we started with (or what I thought we started with, at least): 'is Ford a smart investment in 2017, given their lack of leadership in the electrification space?'

They'll survive. At least in the near-term. Even if they don't get on the bandwagon. But my [for-play, small potatoes] investing dollars are much more comfortable betting on Tesla than on Ford. One of these brands has effusive customers giving it world-leading satisfaction/re-buy numbers and potential future customers lining up by the hundreds of thousands to put down $1k deposits on a vehicle none of them has even seen in real-life yet, much less driven. The other is sitting on the status quo. One is developing and pushing world-changing tech. The other is talking up hybrids. It's not at all clear to me that a late-stage pivot a couple of years from now will be a winning strategy, and further it's entirely possible that the incumbents see a sharp stock price decline if Tesla does manage to ramp up as planned.
I don't think it's a given they will survive near-term but I think it's strong enough possibility that they will survive and remain profitable that I've put money in my 5% dividend.

With me and Tesla, I'm not made of money. They are on my short list (literally, I have 10 stocks I watch every day that I am not invested in and they are one of them). I have a token amount in F over TSLA because 1) Dividend and 2) TSLA is way more likely to implode tomorrow. Musk is not afraid to fail. Which makes his success yuge in ways DJT can't even deny. But he's not afraid to fail with all of his money and yours. Isn't running completely out of money to advance the companies great ideas, sort of Tesla's thing?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think TSLA is likely past the point of implosion. By that I don't mean it's guaranteed that they'll succeed--far from it. Rather, I mean there's virtually no chance they go under. I think the most likely outcome is they continue to grow, perhaps not to the millions of cars/year goal that they have, but to something in the several hundreds of thousands/year. Barring a black swan event, I think that's most likely.

If they were suddenly under supreme hard times, someone would swoop in and buy them. That brand name, the Model 3 registration list, the Supercharger network, their tech--no way that just fizzles. Worst case in my book, Tesla struggles and some corp with deep pockets picks them up.

Of course that could be semantics--you haven't invested in them, so if their stock price drops to half its current level before they're bought, that'd be bad for you if you were buying in now. I bought in somewhere around 30% of current price, so I'm content to let it ride and risk the current gains in exchange for a shot at doubling-ish the current price. If instead I end up cashing out at current price, or down at $200 or even $150, that's still something I'd qualify as a fun ride.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: The question in my mind is not 'will Ford survive the near term' (of course they will). It's what we started with (or what I thought we started with, at least): 'is Ford a smart investment in 2017, given their lack of leadership in the electrification space?'
This. Glad you brought us back. To me, this bolded part is the most important consideration - is F a good investment TODAY (irrespective, IMO, of whether or not they are an EV leader). You compare Tesla to Ford as if they are comparable, but they are not really playing in the same space. My comment about ROW was not to say there won't be Tesla (or EV) sales there, but that many MANY MAAAAAAAANY people (India, China, etc.), will be on ICE's for years, if not decades to come, just due to economics and access. Point being, it will likely be Tesla AND F, not Tesla OR F, if you know what I mean? (or substitute GM)

Also, I could be wrong (and ironically, I work for a company that has all this data, so I could find out if I wanted to dig), but I doubt there are a significant number of people in both the "Typical Ford clients" and "Typical Tesla clients" sets.

To answer the question, though...my answer today is: "I'm not sure" I've been holding for a long time, and am certainly in the black just from the healthy dividend, but quarter after quarter after quarter of crappy new sales numbers is not very encouraging to me as an investor. Maybe I shift my F investment dollars into my existing GM...they certainly seem to be fixing their previous issues better than F is, and is being reflected in their stock price.

F vs GM vs SP

OTOH, looking at that chart, that may be short termism on my part...look how closely GM and F tracked UP UNTIL really the very last part of 2016, and only since then, has GM really pulled away (thankfully, I bought GM near that bottom, but have been holding F since 2011 or 12). Too soon to tell I think.