OJ Simpson

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re:

Post by em2nought »

dbt1949 wrote:I still find it disquieting that people want memorabilia from disgraced or criminal figures.
Of course I still have my collection of gook ears from Viet Nam.

Sorry, probably a bad joke.

Probably.

Funny tho.

Maybe.
Bahahaha, I'm not sure I don't believe it. lol :doh:
two months
stessier

Re: OJ Simpson

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Moliere wrote:
McNutt wrote:I didn't think there was a chance he wouldn't get paroled. He's served his time for the crime for which he was convicted. I'll be interested to see what post-prison life is like for him.
He's now eligible for his NFL and SAG pensions worth millions of dollars.
He played in the 70's, his NFL pension is likely barely above the poverty line.
ESPN has the calculation. It depends on if he waited until he was 65 to start collecting. If he did, its about 10k per month and there is 600k waiting for him. If he collected earlier, its about 4.3k per month and the total waiting for him is variable.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

stessier wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
Moliere wrote:
McNutt wrote:I didn't think there was a chance he wouldn't get paroled. He's served his time for the crime for which he was convicted. I'll be interested to see what post-prison life is like for him.
He's now eligible for his NFL and SAG pensions worth millions of dollars.
He played in the 70's, his NFL pension is likely barely above the poverty line.
ESPN has the calculation. It depends on if he waited until he was 65 to start collecting. If he did, its about 10k per month and there is 600k waiting for him. If he collected earlier, its about 4.3k per month and the total waiting for him is variable.
Good Morning America said 25k per month...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

For a player from the 70s? That seems ludicrously inaccurate. That sounds like what current players might get. Most players in the 70s also received really bad advice and were told to start drawing early because they were expected to live very long.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

A quick search showed that for *current* players, the average annual pension payment is $43,000. For a current player to get a $25k per month payout they'd have to play like 50 seasons.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Another quick search suggests that the bulk of his retirement income will be coming from that SAG retirement plan, in which he hid about $5M from his victims' families. The max NFL benefit he'd be eligible for is about $100K per year, if he didn't start collecting at 45 or 55, in which case it would be a lot lower.
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's all public record - the calculation is easy for the two ranges, it just depends on when he started drawing on it.
Darren Rovell wrote:So let's show you the math.

O.J. played in the NFL from 1969 to 1979.

NFL players who played before 1982 get a pension credit of $250 per season per month. Multiplying that by his 11 seasons, that's $2,750 a month.

As part of a settlement in 2011, former players were given an extra payment of $124 per month per season in seasons played before 1975 and $108 per month per season in subsequent years. O.J. played six seasons before ($124 x 6 = $744) and five seasons after ($108 x 5 = $540) 1975. That's another $1,284.

Adding $1,284 plus $2,750, that's $4,034 a month.

That's what O.J. would have made if he elected to start taking out his NFL pension at the age of 55. Getting paid that for 105 months in jail would mean O.J. made $423,570.

But if he waited until 65 -- he just turned 70 -- he would collect 2.619 times that, according to the formula. That would make his pension $10,565 a month.

Based on 57 months in jail after his 65th birthday, that's $602,205.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Quite inaccurate.

Hernandez was tried and convicted on one murder and found not guilty on a double murder charge in a separate trial. After his suicide, the one conviction was vacated as the appeals process had not been completed.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Moliere wrote:free
In that photo, he looks a bit like the cat who ate the canary.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

OJ Simpson: Fox airs 'hypothetical confession' interview
A previously shelved interview with fallen US football icon OJ Simpson where he "hypothetically" confesses to the murder of his ex-wife and her friend has aired on US television.

Simpson was infamously found not guilty of the double homicide in 1995.

Fox showed clips of the 2006 interview in a two-hour special on Sunday night.

The interview was recorded to promote his book - If I Did It. Both the interview and the book were pulled at the time because of public outrage.

The book was eventually published after a court awarded the rights to victim Ron Goldman's family, who had won a successful civil wrongful death claim against him.

They released the book as If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer with the "If" disguised in the design.

In the aired interview with book publisher Judith Reagan, Simpson regularly reminds the audience that his retelling of the incident is "hypothetical".

He discusses driving over to his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson's home with Charlie - "a guy I recently became friends with" - with a knife, cap and gloves before getting into a verbal confrontation with her and Mr Goldman.

"I remember I grabbed the knife, I do remember that portion, taking the knife from Charlie and to be honest, after that I don't remember, except I'm standing there and there's all kinda stuff around," he said.

Asked what kind of "stuff" he meant, Simpson replies: "Blood and stuff."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought this had already been shown, but I guess I'm confusing it with the book If I Did It.
He won. Period.