Name of the Wind

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Remus West

Name of the Wind

Post by Remus West »

First novel by the author (Patrick Rothfuss). I am really enjoying it. Its a light read but fun and engrossing for me. Its the story of a Wizard but not your classic type wizard. I am finding the characters very engaging and the story fun to piece together (its not a mystery but neither is it upfront with all the details). Anyone else reading this? I got the recommendation for it off of the Looking for Group website.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished it a couple of months ago. Great book!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The second book is due in April. I am really praying this guy is not another Jordan/Martin and that the date is firm.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Yeah, this, along with Lies of Locke Lamora, were two of the best new fantasy books I've read in a long time.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Malificent wrote:Yeah, this, along with Lies of Locke Lamora, were two of the best new fantasy books I've read in a long time.
Have you picked up the second one yet? I'm waiting to finish Pratchett's latest and then I'll dive in...
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

WYBaugh wrote:
Malificent wrote:Yeah, this, along with Lies of Locke Lamora, were two of the best new fantasy books I've read in a long time.
Have you picked up the second one yet? I'm waiting to finish Pratchett's latest and then I'll dive in...
No, not yet - I think I'm now 1st on the list for it at my local library, so any day now. I've been breaking myself of the bad habit of buying in hardcover - I rent from the library, and if it is good enough that I'll want to read it again, I buy it in paperback.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Author?
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Remus West wrote:
Author?
Scott Lynch - First time author as well. Here's the Amazon link.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'll have to give it a look. Thanks for the heads up.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Mariah. What do I win?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

dbt1949 wrote:Mariah. What do I win?
The ability to fearlessly jump from extremely high buildings if you are right. If you are wrong that might not work out so well for you.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Okay, now..........what's the name or the rain and fire?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hemlock Bones

Post by Hemlock Bones »

dbt1949 wrote:Okay, now..........what's the name or the rain and fire?
Not sure, but I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.

Apologies to the OP, thanks for the book recommendation.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Thanks! I've added this to my hit list.

If we're going to give praise to Scott Lynch and Locke Lamorra, I'll make the recommendation for theEldarn Sequence by Robert Scott and Jay Gordon.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Jolor wrote:Thanks! I've added this to my hit list.

If we're going to give praise to Scott Lynch and Locke Lamorra, I'll make the recommendation for theEldarn Sequence by Robert Scott and Jay Gordon.
That looks good, I'll have to add it to the que of books I need to read.

And Hemlock Bones, NP, thats one of my favorite sad songs.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The rain is Tess, the fire is Joe and they call the wind Mariah.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ChaoZ

Re: Name of the Wind

Post by ChaoZ »

Just finished this last week. Good book, drew me in, but now that I reflect on it, it seemed to cover very little ground for all those pages. I also hope the next books can go a little darker. When is book 2 due anyway?
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I enjoyed it very much even though I thought it drifted a little near the end. The plot seemed to go simpler when it should have been growing more complex.

But I'd still call it highly recommended. I'm looking forward to the next book which is due on April 7th, 2009.
Brian

Re:

Post by Brian »

dbt1949 wrote:The rain is Tess, the fire is Joe and they call the wind Mariah.
Mad Jack Duncan wrote:It's a living hell up here. What with the bloody rain, the bloody loneliness, and that bloody, bloody wind.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Aye! A roar he cried frae the bottom of his heart that I would nay fall but as dead, dead as 'a can be by his feet; de ya ken?...and the wind cried back.
Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rise, ye olde threade! I picked this up yesterday afternoon (Kindle edition) and blew through 30% of the book last night. Entertaining stuff. So the 2nd novel came out last month I see (just a smidge GRRMLate). I've also heard that the third has been 'done' for years. Does anyone know whether that's true or not? I realized the crazy delay on book 2 after I started 1, and now I'm not going to stop but would also hate to be waiting till 2014 for #3...
Remus West

Re:

Post by Remus West »

I haven't heard anything regarding the third book yet but due to you ressing this thread I saw this
Remus West wrote:The second book is due in April. I am really praying this guy is not another Jordan/Martin and that the date is firm.
comment and sighed sadly since he proved himself very much in their line of promptly releasing books.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I noticed that when performing the rez. Good stuff. :coffee:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Finished this tonight. Great fun. I really enjoyed the atypical perspective Rothfuss used, with Kvothe narrating mainly in the first-person and periodic interludes in the present. Also liked the symmetry of prologue and epilogue. And without spoilering, I'm looking forward to learning more about Bast.

Next book just finished loading on my Kindle and I'm having trouble resisting the urge to start it tonight and risk an all-nighter.

Sent from my mobile device.
Koz

Post by Koz »

I think Rothfuss' delays are more due to the fact that he edits and goes over his work multiple times before he settles on a final draft. As opposed to GRRM who just takes his little old time writing it in the first place.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Yeah, Rothfuss is a perfectionist. The Wise Man's Fear was done for a long time, but he just couldn't stop himself from reading through it over and over again, fixing a sentence there, ditching a paragraph there, changing a word there... He probably went through half a dozen revisions.
Insert witty comment here.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Chaosraven wrote:Aye! A roar he cried frae the bottom of his heart that I would nay fall but as dead, dead as 'a can be by his feet; de ya ken?...and the wind cried back.
Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict

wow very obscure gratuitous early Pink Floyd reference, I even read that in a Gaelic accent.

I read Name of the Wind and really enjoyed it. The sequel is next on my "to buy" list but I have heard far more negativity about it than I did on the first.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zaxxon wrote:Finished this tonight. Great fun. I really enjoyed the atypical perspective Rothfuss used, with Kvothe narrating mainly in the first-person and periodic interludes in the present. Also liked the symmetry of prologue and epilogue. And without spoilering, I'm looking forward to learning more about Bast.

Next book just finished loading on my Kindle and I'm having trouble resisting the urge to start it tonight and risk an all-nighter.

Sent from my mobile device.
We're almost on the same schedule. I finished the first on thursday, and am about 30% through book 2. It felt like book 2 took a little while to find a rhythm, but now that it has, it is rolling along well. The wait for book 3 is going to be tough.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I suppose we can hope that some of the massive time spent editing book 2 also helped him get a head start on editing book 3.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Spoilerish from Book 2
Spoiler:
Last edited by Jag on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Nothing to see here
Last edited by WYBaugh on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome! Let's not spoiler future books in book 1's thread, mmmkay? ;)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks for the edits!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There's a Kickstarter going on for a Name of the Wind deck of cards. Looks nifty.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:There's a Kickstarter going on for a Name of the Wind deck of cards. Looks nifty.
And with 36 hours left, this has 'crushed everything', on pace to triple the next-highest card deck Kickstarter. I'm only in for a single deck, but if you have a desire for NotW-themed cards, poker chips, or art prints, it's worth checking out. And in some bizarre news, the folks making the stuff are actually giving Pat Rothfuss' charity an ownership stake in their company going forward. If you're a fan of Worldbuilders, that's pretty cool news.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Zaxxon, thanks for bumping this. Joined in at the $135 level. It's my first kickstarter!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

WYBaugh wrote:Zaxxon, thanks for bumping this. Joined in at the $135 level. It's my first kickstarter!
Sweet!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This is the problem with kickstarter (well, two, you are also teasing us by bumping this thread)... I'm backing this and I really don't know why. Do I need NotW playing cards? Really? Stop doing this to me Kickstarter!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Instead of kickstarting this game, register for the DGM and bring some of that huge backlog to play.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

DGM? Let me summon Isg to translate.

*Isg signal*