Name of the Wind

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Name of the Wind

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:Instead of kickstarting this game, register for the DGM and bring some of that huge backlog to play.
That's the center of the problem. It's not a game. It's a deck of standard playing cards. I need help. I also need to check with the wife on DGM. I may be able to make it for some number of hours next Saturday.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Thread necromancy! I missed this thread the first time around but just finished reading both books a few months back. Does anyone else thing (spoiler for both books!)
Spoiler:
the Kvothe is sort of a Don Quixote character - that is, most of his stories aren't really true or not like he says they happened. That would explain why he doesn't have the powers/abilities in the present that he talks about mastering in the past. I really hope it doesn't go that way, though.
Also, any time table on book 3?
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Here is my take on the spoiler:
Spoiler:
Qvothe is the real deal and the exploits are true. We've seen him a bad ass when killing those crab demon things that were attacking the chronicler. So why did he lose his power? Maybe it's because he lost his name. He doesn't go by Qvothe now and there was also that story about the moon being powerless because someone used its true name. Perhaps his name is somehow trapped inside that box of his.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Thread necromancy! I missed this thread the first time around but just finished reading both books a few months back. Does anyone else thing (spoiler for both books!)
Spoiler:
the Kvothe is sort of a Don Quixote character - that is, most of his stories aren't really true or not like he says they happened. That would explain why he doesn't have the powers/abilities in the present that he talks about mastering in the past. I really hope it doesn't go that way, though.
Also, any time table on book 3?
My $.02:
Spoiler:
The tales are mostly true but he isn't above exaggerating. He's said many times that he's a performer first and foremost and appreciates what a reputation can do. If I'm not mistaken he even said "The best lies about me are the ones I told myself" or something to that effect. Having said all that, that doesn't have anything to do with his current state. They go on and on about the power of names and such and I think it's clear that in trying to hide and take a new name he's consequently lost much of his power.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My 1.5 cents:
Spoiler:
I think he is like Gandalf, he prefers not to flaunt his powers so he will be underestimated. Also does not want every gunslinger in the West to seek him out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Jaymann wrote:My 1.5 cents:
Spoiler:
I think he is like Gandalf, he prefers not to flaunt his powers so he will be underestimated. Also does not want every gunslinger in the West to seek him out.
My $.01:
Spoiler:
The name part makes sense.

But if he just doesn't want people to seek him out, why did he try to fight those guys? He could have gotten hurt much worse than he did. And that demon at the end of book 1 was killing people; unless he knew that the other dude would kill it, he was taking a pretty big risk just to hide his identity.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

My $0.05:
Spoiler:
I heard they're possibly making a movie/TV show combo!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Spoiler:
Qvothe wasn't intentionally failing. He tried to burn that guy in his restaurant using sympathy. If he was concerned about staying off the grid at that point he wouldn't have tried sympathy, which most people can't do. He really has lost his power.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

As for a book 3 timetable, Rothfuss has continually joked about letting it take a long time. When Harper Lee (supposedly) released Go Set a Watchman, Rothfuss posted that he was intrigued at the idea of being able to wait 50 years between follow ups. I'm not expecting it for a few years. I guess I'll read The Slow Regard of Silent Things in the meantime.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I loved the first book and was pretty meh on the second book. I think Rothfuss has been hit with the GRRM disease and doesn't know where he is going, or perhaps how to get there. For what was supposed to be a trilogy he went pretty much nowhere forward in time with the second book, unless over indulging in a character is going somewhere.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The second book was not as engaging at the first book. There were times during his stay in the Fae and Admere that I couldn't wait to end. A movie adaptation would be wise to use a Rocky-esque montage for those portions.

Like you, Scuzz, I didn't feel like the book moved the story forward much. It added a few mysteries and made me think that there is zero chance this story gets wrapped up with one more book.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Scuzz wrote:I loved the first book and was pretty meh on the second book. I think Rothfuss has been hit with the GRRM disease and doesn't know where he is going, or perhaps how to get there. For what was supposed to be a trilogy he went pretty much nowhere forward in time with the second book, unless over indulging in a character is going somewhere.
Rothfuss has always said that he wrote all three books before he even published the first one. The thing that slows him down is that he's a perfectionist. Where regular authors will write perhaps 2-3 drafts before pushing a novel out the door, Rothfuss will polish and polish and polish and polish. He writes tens upon tens of drafts before he finally is totally happy.
Insert witty comment here.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

TiLT wrote:
Scuzz wrote:I loved the first book and was pretty meh on the second book. I think Rothfuss has been hit with the GRRM disease and doesn't know where he is going, or perhaps how to get there. For what was supposed to be a trilogy he went pretty much nowhere forward in time with the second book, unless over indulging in a character is going somewhere.
Rothfuss has always said that he wrote all three books before he even published the first one. The thing that slows him down is that he's a perfectionist. Where regular authors will write perhaps 2-3 drafts before pushing a novel out the door, Rothfuss will polish and polish and polish and polish. He writes tens upon tens of drafts before he finally is totally happy.
Aside from the second book really not aging the character, how does the third book answer all the questions of the previous two and not last 5,000 pages?

I see no way the series ends with book 3. And don't get me wrong, I loved the first book, so if he came back and wrote a decent third book (better than 2) I would have no problem reading a 4th.
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Scuzz wrote:Aside from the second book really not aging the character, how does the third book answer all the questions of the previous two and not last 5,000 pages?
I'm not sure it does. These three books are the Kingkiller Chronicles, but they aren't going to be the only books in that setting. There's more going on than just Kvothe, and Rothfuss has said that he wishes to write more books once he's done with KC. The third book should at least finish Kvothe's story (but will it finish Kote's story? I don't think so), though there's no guarantee it'll explain all of what's currently going on there.

I suspect the TV, game and movie deal with Lionsgate might start to dig into the secondary stories a bit more. Rothfuss' short stories already do so too, focusing on supporting characters like Auri and Bast.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just found these books and read them because I thought it was a completed series - major fail on my part there. Still, I really, really enjoyed them. With the exception of the time in the Fae, I found the second book to be equally enjoyable to the first. Rothfuss has some ticks ala Jordan's braid pulling, but it wasn't too bad over two books.

As for the spoilers - my take
Spoiler:
I don't agree that Kvothe has lost his abilities. We have him standing up to the spider demons and at the end of the bar room fight, he tells Bast that he almost forgot himself during the fight. Taken at face value, that could mean that he had delusions of his younger self and that his body could no longer cash the checks his mind was writing. But it could also mean that he is hiding as Kote and he was fighting as Kvothe as he started the Admere moves and only remembered he should be losing at that point (leading to him getting beaten to a pulp). The last line of the description of silence indicating Kvothe is simply waiting to die is interesting as well, but it could mean anything.

I have no idea what is in the chest. It seems to me it is related tot he Lackless chest he saw.
Has anyone read the Auri story? It is ridiculously expensive ($8 for 177 pages?!?).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I agree with your conclusions. Haven't gotten the Auri story.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The Auri story is good. Very different, but interesting and well written
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Auri's story isn't significant in any way, but it is an enjoyable look into her strange mind and strange habits.
PLW

Post by PLW »

It didn't quite have enough plot for me. I bailed about halfway through.

Edit: This comment is re: Auri's story, not the main series, which I love.
Last edited by PLW on Fri May 20, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remus West

Re:

Post by Remus West »

Remus West wrote:The second book is due in April. I am really praying this guy is not another Jordan/Martin and that the date is firm.
Looks as though my prayers went unanswered.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm working my way through the audiobook version on my commute, and enjoying it. It's not the deepest, most epic story ever at the moment, but it's well done.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 pm I'm working my way through the audiobook version on my commute, and enjoying it. It's not the deepest, most epic story ever at the moment, but it's well done.
Curse you. When I see an email notice for a dead thread and it says it's you, I assume there's news. WHY IS THERE NO NEWS?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 pm I'm working my way through the audiobook version on my commute, and enjoying it. It's not the deepest, most epic story ever at the moment, but it's well done.
Curse you. When I see an email notice for a dead thread and it says it's you, I assume there's news. WHY IS THERE NO NEWS?
Because this is the Book 1 thread, and there's a Book 2 thread. Go start a Book 3 thread!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm
Because this is the Book 1 thread, and there's a Book 2 thread. Go start a Book 3 thread!
Sorry, I'd need the book 3 thread.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Dammit! I was hoping there was news.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Name of the Wind is a very good book, in my humble opinion. Book 2 is a disappointment and I fear Rothfuss has GRRM disease and book 3 (and others) will take forever to come out.

I didn't look back to see if I have written this already, but I bet I have. :whistle:
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:18 am I loved the first book and was pretty meh on the second book. I think Rothfuss has been hit with the GRRM disease and doesn't know where he is going, or perhaps how to get there. For what was supposed to be a trilogy he went pretty much nowhere forward in time with the second book, unless over indulging in a character is going somewhere.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

After writing that I did look back. I even used the same GRRM line. :doh:
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Book two is not as good as book one, but it is still a damn good book. I don't think it's possible to wrap it up in one more book unless they bring in the HBO writers.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Why would you wish that on anyone?
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am guessing the Showtime series will be just like GoT and finish the story before Rothfuss does (assuming it is enough of a success to continue until the end).
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Doing the same, listening on Audible and I agree. Halfway through the book and
Spoiler:
he is still at University. Seems likes not much book left to get him to his age at the inn with Chronicler.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i am at the 'Harry Potter goes to college' part and i lost interest again. been working on this book for seven or eight years now.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rothfuss should just take his most current draft of book 3 and get Brandon Sanderson to clean it up for co-authorship credit. Then he makes a mint, his fans are happy, and he can go on writing about unicorns or whatever it is he enjoys.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:56 pm i am at the 'Harry Potter goes to college' part and i lost interest again. been working on this book for seven or eight years now.
I think that is one of the aspects of the book I liked. It is pretty obvious in the first book that it will continue beyond that, so learning how he became who he is is important. It is written quite different from the Hogwarts experience.

But by the end of the 2nd book, in a supposed 3 book series, he still hasn't aged very far past school. That is why I doubt the 3rd book will be the last one. I can see us in 2030 waiting for book 5 to wrap the story up.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

His time in school has been my favorite parts.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

McNutt wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:21 pm His time in school has been my favorite parts.
Whereas his time in Faery (or whatever it's called) needed a good editor to cut 100 + pages...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yes, the Fae was where he lost me.