Vertigo by U2

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

WPD

Vertigo by U2

Post by WPD »

Is it just me or does that song sound exactly like "Elevation by U2"?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

haven't heard it ... but did hear from one U2 fan "oh joy, another crappy new U2 song"

after that last album, i don't really have any more faith in that group...
WPD

Post by WPD »

I've only heard it in the Apple iPod commercials.
kathode

Post by kathode »

I don't know who in their right mind would call themselves a U2 fan and say they didn't like the last album. Are they seriously saying that Pop was better?

I dig Vertigo. It has the same kind of rock song momentum that Elevation had, but I don't see how it sounds the same. They're completely different songs. Anxiously awaiting 11/23.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I liked it, can't wait for 11/23..
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I thought Vertigo was pretty mediocre. Though I'm sure it's just pre-release hype, Bono stated in an article in Blender that he thinks their new album is possibly their best after "Achtung Baby". If it's anywhere near Achtung then it'll be U2's best album in 12 years. I'll wait to make a judgement until after I've downloaded all the songs. :wink:
tswright

Post by tswright »

I think it's a pretty good single. It's obviously not the instant classic that Beautiful Day was but that's no crime. I like the goofy 1-2-3-14 Spanish count-off at the beginning and that "Bullets crack the sky of ink with gold" line (or some such) sounds to me like something Bono would have written during JOSHUA TREE-era U2 (a definite good thing). It's certainly an improvement over Elevation's abysmal lyrics: "A mole / Digging in a hole." Ree-hee-heally. And it goes without saying that Edge and the rest of the boys are in fine form.

Instrumentally, I think U2 is as good as they've ever been. As long as Bono doesn't fuck things up with his lyrics (see: Elevation, see: New York), I'm optimistic that the new album will be great and not merely solid/good like ALTYCLB (note that I like ALTYCLB but those aforementioned lyrical blunders knock it down a few pegs for me).
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

I don't know who in their right mind would call themselves a U2 fan and say they didn't like the last album. Are they seriously saying that Pop was better?
with the exceptions of Beautiful Day and Elevation (sorta), ATYCLBO was a BOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRINNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG, dull and highly uninteresting album (and i don't think i can stress that enough)... i didn't go crazy for Pop either - lots of the electronic songs sounded forced and unnatural, and songs like "Staring at the Sun", "Please" and "If God Will Send His Angels" were just dopey - but at least they were trying something kinda different there. this whole "wir gettin' beck to ur rrrroots" trip they're on is five kinds of stupid.
tswright

Post by tswright »

hitbyambulance wrote:with the exceptions of Beautiful Day and Elevation (sorta), ATYCLBO was a BOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRINNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG, dull and highly uninteresting album (and i don't think i can stress that enough)...
Dude. You don't get goosebumps during the "I'm a maaaaaaaan" vocal from Walk On? Same deal with the Edge guitar breakdown on When I Look at the World? You don't think New York is at the very least instrumentally interesting? Kite? In a Little While?

It's not up to ACHTUNG BABY or JOSHUA TREE standards but I definitely disagree with the notion that it's a "BOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRINNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG, dull and highly uninteresting album". YMMV Principle is invoked!
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

I've liked every U2 album so far and I'm hoping that this next one doesn't break that run for me. I like Vertigo a lot so I'm optimistic. I really don't think it's anything close to Elevation.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

In a Little While?
oh man, i was trying to forget that song... AAAAUGH i never want to hear it again. ugh ugh ugh. i hate that album even more, now.
JayG

Post by JayG »

I'm looking forward to the new Cd myself. It's the first cd I have any interest this year, and If I'm physically able to remove myself from the PC with HLF2, I'll definately buy it. And I think Vertigos a pretty good single.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

11/23 is not going to get here fast enough. Call me a fanboy, but there hasn't been a U2 album I don't like. I just wish they wouldn't take so long between them.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Am I the only person on earth who didn't like "Beautiful Day?" I'm sorry, I don't like the song. It sucks. There, I said it. And I'm a big U2 fan. In fact, I never even bought the last album because Beautiful Day was on it and I didn't feel like skipping over it every time.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

YellowKing wrote:Am I the only person on earth who didn't like "Beautiful Day?" I'm sorry, I don't like the song. It sucks.

Not the only one. "Instant classic"? No way... you gotta go back to 'Like a Song...' or 'New Year's Day' - something like that.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I still like Duran Duran better. But, I'm a child of the 80's.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i never got the appeal of Duran Duran.. the most anyone has ever told me is assorted female friends telling me that "So-and-so is sooooo hot"
jblank

Post by jblank »

Dont you guys think all U2 songs sound alike though? I used to like them maybe 10-15 years ago, but anymore, all their stuff sounds the same. My wife and I were on the couch watching Law & Order SVU the other night, when that Ipod commercial came on. When we saw it was U2, even my wife, hardly a rabid music fan, said all their stuff sounds the same.

It just seems like all their creativity is spent, something happening all too often with todays music, but its just my opinion.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

I agree New U2 is not Old U2 but thats not always a bad thing, Kinda reminds me of Metallica Fans who think they should have stopped writing new material after Master Of Puppets :roll: :P
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
jblank

Post by jblank »

RookieCAF wrote:I agree New U2 is not Old U2 but thats not always a bad thing, Kinda reminds me of Metallica Fans who think they should have stopped writing new material after Master Of Puppets :roll: :P
No, Metallica should have stopped after the black album. God, dont even get me started on them. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

OK, That awnsers my question.. :shock:
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

I actually prefer it to see bands trying new sounds. Loaded and Reloaded were decent albums and I've liked listening to U2 change over the years. Zooropa was their first album I ever listened to.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Kratz wrote:
YellowKing wrote:Am I the only person on earth who didn't like "Beautiful Day?" I'm sorry, I don't like the song. It sucks.

Not the only one. "Instant classic"? No way... you gotta go back to 'Like a Song...' or 'New Year's Day' - something like that.
I don't like Beautiful Day either, or most of the newer U2 stuff after, say, Achtung Baby (with a few exceptions). Which reminds me, I need to complete my old U2 CD collection since my cassettes are mostly disintegrated.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I was a H-U-G-E U2 fan during my high school/early college years. Achtung Baby came out my freshman year of college and I played it until the bits fell off the disc. I mostly go to club shows, but for my 19th birthday I saw the ZooTV tour with the Pixies opening up at the Meadowlands, and it blew me away. Amazingly, when Zooropa came out I didn't even buy it, and haven't bought a U2 record since. I think that I loved U2 the rock band, and suddenly it seemed like they had become something else, in my mind. Some of the songs on the last record definitely intrigued me, but I have to say after watching the extended version of the Vertigo trailer, I am probably more interested in U2 than I have been in 10 years. Although it's a lot more garage-y, that song sounds like it could have almost appeared on Achtung Baby and that has my attention. I'd like to hear another single.

[hijack]I think that a lot of fans of U2's older stuff are also R.E.M fans. I stopped buying R.E.M. records when Monster didn't turn out to be the great rockin' comeback that I had hoped it would be. Can anyone give me a reason to pick up any of R.E.M. records that have come out since? [/hijack]
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

hitbyambulance wrote:i never got the appeal of Duran Duran.. the most anyone has ever told me is assorted female friends telling me that "So-and-so is sooooo hot"
Yup, that's the 80's for ya. It's permeated all of our culture now. There isn't a single movie out anymore that doesn't have at least 1 pretty boy.
jblank

Post by jblank »

RookieCAF wrote:OK, That awnsers my question.. :shock:
So you LIKE their new stuff? Welcome to the minority then, because as a fan that goes all the way back to the Kill 'em All/Creeping Death days (by age, not by merely buying their music), and as someone who didnt just jump on the bandwagon after "One" started getting played on MTV, I am sickened by just how far they have fallen. They are horrid now, and that last album was an embarassment. You are welcome to your opinion, but I dont like the direction their music has gone, and apparently most agree with me.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

jblank wrote:Dont you guys think all U2 songs sound alike though? I used to like them maybe 10-15 years ago, but anymore, all their stuff sounds the same. My wife and I were on the couch watching Law & Order SVU the other night, when that Ipod commercial came on. When we saw it was U2, even my wife, hardly a rabid music fan, said all their stuff sounds the same.

It just seems like all their creativity is spent, something happening all too often with todays music, but its just my opinion.
It's not that their creativity is spent, I think. Quite a few years ago (the late 90's I believe) U2 tried to do more avant guarde stuff. It was mildly popular in Europe but people in the States didn't even know they had put new stuff out. U2 is kind of a victim of their own success.
jblank

Post by jblank »

Dirt wrote:
jblank wrote:Dont you guys think all U2 songs sound alike though? I used to like them maybe 10-15 years ago, but anymore, all their stuff sounds the same. My wife and I were on the couch watching Law & Order SVU the other night, when that Ipod commercial came on. When we saw it was U2, even my wife, hardly a rabid music fan, said all their stuff sounds the same.

It's not that their creativity is spent, I think. Quite a few years ago (the late 90's I believe) U2 tried to do more avant guarde stuff. It was mildly popular in Europe but people in the States didn't even know they had put new stuff out. U2 is kind of a victim of their own success.
Yeah, I can agree with that, but with that success, as all to often is the case, something left their music, and now, their songs seem too similar, in an "I have heard this before" kind of way.

Metallica has just lost it, pure and simple. That last album was awful, truly awful. It was like they said, "Yeah, we know our last couple of albums werent very good, so now we're gonna try and resurrect the RTL/MOP stuff, and go back to it." The problem is that apparently they have forgotten how to do it well. Hetfield was trying his damndest to sound angry and pissed off, but it just comes off as overdoing it. The albums sound is hyper-aggressive, but they overdid that as well, with songs that are much too long, much too phony sounding, and so foreign from anything they have ever done, that had someone played it for me in 1986, I would have laughed and made fun of how crappy they were.

Sorry to derail the thread, didnt mean to ramble on about Metallica.
tswright

Post by tswright »

Teggy wrote:[hijack]I think that a lot of fans of U2's older stuff are also R.E.M fans. I stopped buying R.E.M. records when Monster didn't turn out to be the great rockin' comeback that I had hoped it would be. Can anyone give me a reason to pick up any of R.E.M. records that have come out since? [/hijack]
NEW ADVENTURES IN HI-FI, the disc that came out after MONSTER, is pretty essential (in terms of sound, it's sort of a retrospective of their career up to that point... some of my fave R.E.M tunes are on this album) but you can probably skip UP (personally, I love UP but pretty much anybody else you talk to will probably pan it... 'tis definitely not a return to the rock sound if that's what you're looking for) and REVEAL (meh). I haven't heard the new one yet.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Sadly, Metallica's creativity died in their bus crash.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

After I heard "With or Without You" approximately 50,000,000 times, U2 was dead to me.

And the craptacular "Actung Baby" sealed the deal - U2 peaked with "War" and it's been all downhill ever since.

I happily ignored them until "Beautiful Day" hit the radio, which I liked quite a bit.

I like "Vertigo" even more.

But I'm still not buying the album. :wink:
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

That's right, 'Beatiful Day' was the song that Bono didn't like but wrote because people didn't like their avant guarde stuff.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Dirt wrote: people didn't like their crappy stuff.
Fixed it for you. :wink:
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Thanks.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

jblank wrote:
RookieCAF wrote:OK, That awnsers my question.. :shock:
So you LIKE their new stuff? Welcome to the minority then, because as a fan that goes all the way back to the Kill 'em All/Creeping Death days (by age, not by merely buying their music), and as someone who didnt just jump on the bandwagon after "One" started getting played on MTV, I am sickened by just how far they have fallen. They are horrid now, and that last album was an embarassment. You are welcome to your opinion, but I dont like the direction their music has gone, and apparently most agree with me.
I didn't say I liked it, thought it was worse or better. I don't enjoy it as much as the earlier albums but I don't dismiss it either. The boys have gotten older and exposed to more life, so they changed a bit. Big deal.. That being said, St. Anger is pretty much not my thing :(

I prefer the earlier albums myself. If I want to listen to a band that does not change, I'll put an ACDC CD in :)
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats