Good lord. Curt Schilling is a beast.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Mithridates wrote:I'd rather see an athlete be humble enough to acknowledge God is bigger than he is, instead of the traditional bragging about their own efforts.
Oh, brother, someone move this thread to R&P...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ATB wrote:I hate baseball and I've been riveted. Watching that last at bat was hard on the guts.

Curt giving props to God was monumental.

He opened by saying he's been a Christian for 7 years. So there's the props to Christ.

ATB now = Curt Shilling fan. :P
I don't want to steer this away from Schilling love but I don't get the props to god. I mean sure he can thank god for his talent and everything but why does it always hinge on a win or loss? You don't see players out there after getting their ass kicked saying, "I have to thank God for my sucessful career but I guess he was hooking up Sheffield today since he hit 2 doubles and that 3 run shot off me..."

Still, back to the love. I've been a fan of his ever since he was with the Phillies and said he'd bean JD Drew if he faced him, because of how Drew's holdout was screwing the Phillies.

I really hope he didn't do any long-term damage to himself last night.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sunderer

Post by Sunderer »

I'm a little nervous about this "God and sports" thing. Does this mean Bill Buckner was not a Christian ?
"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

I don't think Curt was implying that God won them the game or anything. He was simply thanking God for blessing him with the strength to play to his ability. God helped Schilling overcome a serious injury to play a game. What's so bad about that?

Oh, brother, someone move this thread to R&P...
Oh, brother, let's have a kneejerk reaction because we're uncomfortable talking about God... :(
Terrified

Post by Terrified »

Mithridates wrote:Oh, brother, let's have a kneejerk reaction because we're uncomfortable talking about God... :(
No, he's got a valid point. Every time I hear some athlete saying "I owe my victory to God", the first thing I wonder is why God is pissed off at the other team?

And for all those folks crediting God, just once I'd like to see a WR bobble a pass, a pitcher give up a game-winning HR and afterwards go "Well, God really let me down today..."
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Mithridates wrote:
Oh, brother, let's have a kneejerk reaction because we're uncomfortable talking about God... :(
Being able to talk about sports without having to get into a philsophical debate != being "uncomfortable talking about God".
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

If God be for us, who be against us? If a god let's someone make a game saving defensive play or hit a clutch single, what's that god got against the opposing pitcher or team?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The argument against a player thanking God or Jesus often seems a bit misdirected. A player thanking God is not thanking God for smiting his enemies, but rather for that player's talent and performance. It's not about God picking which teams He supports and cursing the other teams.

BTW, this is fine in this forum, although if anyone wants to start a splinter thread in R&P, that's also fine. This is primarily a baseball/EBG thread, that just happens to touch on religious aspects. The original author of the thread clearly wanted to focus on baseball, and the shift into some religious topics (even though it was started by the original thread starter) does not turn it into an R&P thread.
WPD

Post by WPD »

The argument against a player thanking God or Jesus often seems a bit misdirected. A player thanking God is not thanking God for smiting his enemies, but rather for that player's talent and performance. It's not about God picking which teams He supports and cursing the other teams.
Rather then talking myself, I'll do the smart thing and let the lawyer do it for me. (I hope I don't have to pay for the service :oops: )
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

ImLawBoy wrote:The argument against a player thanking God or Jesus often seems a bit misdirected. A player thanking God is not thanking God for smiting his enemies, but rather for that player's talent and performance. It's not about God picking which teams He supports and cursing the other teams.
By that notion, I'd for once like to see a player who loses say in an interview, "why has god forsaken me? Why didn't he give me the strength to win this game?" That would be refreshing.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Originally posted by Teggy:
By that notion, I'd for once like to see a player who loses say in an interview, "why has god forsaken me? Why didn't he give me the strength to win this game?" That would be refreshing.
No, what would be refreshing is a losing player thanking God for giving him the talent to make it that far, and then blaming himself for not doing enough with the talent God gave him.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

No, I'd have to say I'd still rather see mine.

On a related note, I'd be curious to see what people thought of C.J. Nitkowski's web site. He's a journeyman reliever who grew up nearby me in the NYC suburbs. In fact, as I was looking up his most recent whereabouts (Yankees minor league system) I discovered he is only 7 days older than me and there's a good chance he was born at the same hospital. But I digress. I first became aware of him when he came over in a late season trade to the Mets from Detroit, but his web site came to my attention when it was mentioned earlier this season during a Braves broadcast. I find the content on the site a little disturbing personally, and it's really interesting to compare the current site to the "old" site, as he's archived it.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

I used to visit that site quite often when it was baseball related. It's the only Web site I've ever found that's maintained by an actual major leaguer. After he got released a couple times, he stopped updating as much. When he stopped talking about baseball altogether, I pretty much stopped visiting. But, the stories he posted about his conversion were pretty interesting, and I've always rooted for the guy to catch on with another team.