adrenalin junkie?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

adrenalin junkie?

Post by Moliere »

Mountain wingsuit videogets the adrenalin going just watching these crazy guys.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Holy crap that is awesome. It's like being a flying squirrel.

Edit: Hmm. There are a bunch of these videos on youtube! Here's a good one.

Edit2: This guy decided to strap some mini jet engines to his feet to compliment his suit.
Isgrimnur

Re: adrenalin junkie?

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
As an extreme sportsman, Englishman Angelo Grubisic’s goal was to break the world records for flying as far, as fast, for as long and from as high an altitude as possible — not in a plane, but in a wingsuit, an aerodynamic overall with fabric wings at the arms. He leaped from mountains or aircraft to glide toward the ground before deploying his parachute.

While training for those world records, he leaped from a helicopter over the Asir mountains of southwestern Saudi Arabia on Aug. 21 and, according to three fellow fliers, performed a 360-degree barrel-roll. He was known as a “proximity flier” — one who stays close to the landscape — and hit a ridge at 108 mph, dying instantly, according to the fliers.
The current world record for wingsuit flight duration was set by Colombian skydiver Jhonathan Florez in 2012 with a time of nine minutes and six seconds. (Florez was killed during a wingsuit flight when he crashed into a mountainside in Switzerland in 2015.)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Watched a special on this once. The people doing it seem to really love it, but the mortality rate is something like 5%. 1 in 20 flights will end with someone dying. It's just far too easy to screw up and slam headfirst into a wall at over a hundred miles an hour.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I saw a video of a wingsuit guy slamming into a bridge at full speed. It wasn't very graphic, but was sickening due to the sound of the impact and the crowd's sad reaction.

No thanks.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Paingod wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:42 pm The people doing it seem to really love it, but the mortality rate is something like 5%. 1 in 20 flights will end with someone dying.
If 1 in 20 flights ends in someone dying, the mortality rate is much higher than 5% (assuming each person doesn't just do it once).
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There's probably safer wingsuiting, like jumping from a plane, flying a bit, and then popping a parachute. And then there's the crazy shit like flying under bridges or proximity flying.

No thanks to both but the former isn't batshit insane.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

After much deliberation, I have decided not to engage in wingsuiting.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not even if I give you this crisp, new 20 dollar bill?
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can you be convinced by my good friend, Ben Franklin?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter