Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Man, I need a new camera.
mine is broken

Edit: But here are some from before it was broken:

A tree, Autumn.

Ruined building, Winter.

Charles Moore's water-spitting head. Piazza d'Italia, New Orleans.

Two shots from St. Louis Cemetary No. 1, New Orleans.

Three shots of St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC, taken last summer. I didn't have a tripod so my low-light, long-exposure shot inside ended up a little blurry but, truth be told, I quite like it.

Sunset shot of the U.S. Capitol, taken on a walk last fall.

A church down the street from my apartment.

(sorry for taking up so much space)
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

I took this one New Year's Eve at a friend's house in the DFW area.

Nothing to write home about, but I'm learning.

Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
Zofog

Post by Zofog »

Here are two from my recent trips to Guatemala.

Lake Atitlan taken from the dock at Panachel with a Casio Exilim EX-Z50

This was taken in the central square in Antigua with my new Canon PowerShot S5 IS.

Zofog
octoman

Post by octoman »

Wire -- I love that second to last flower photograph! How did you achieve that interesting lighting effect? I enjoy doing macro photography myself, and I think that second to last photo is amazing!
wire

Post by wire »

octoman wrote:Wire -- I love that second to last flower photograph! How did you achieve that interesting lighting effect? I enjoy doing macro photography myself, and I think that second to last photo is amazing!
Thank you octoman :)

I used a Photoshop Lomography effect I found here.

I used the same effect with the rusty toy car and again with this flower. The pink flower and rusty car are my favorite as it really brought the colors out while the one posted in this reply gave it more of a fisheye feel.

I took this of a flower on a bush in our backyard. I was sitting on the ground pointing up with the sky as the background.
Interloper

Post by Interloper »

Thought some of you may get a kick out of this one. My plant is, erm... horny: :wink:

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

A few more from Korea...

Jinju Waterfall

Fish Fountain

RAAAAAWWRRR!

Nightlife
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

This thread makes me realize I really need to use that Photoshop program I got. All my pics are taken with a plan old Kodak E740 digital camera. Here are some taken at the butterfly bush

As I was standing there waiting for the right shots I saw a blur out of the corner of my eye and heard a thud and was lucky enough to get this shot of nature at it's finest

J

Post by J »

Feeding time at National Zoo

Butterfly at Kennilworth Aquatic Gardens

Capital Columns at National Arboretum
WSK

Post by WSK »

I was inspired by Wire's Lomographic Photoshop technique and thought I would play with it - I like the outcome on his shots better, but I like the idea (just need to keep playing with it).

Keep moving forward...
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsk/
My Blog:
http://www.aspirekc.com/Blog/
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I recently got my first digital camera and have been playing around with it. What software do you folks use to edit/play with your images? The full Photoshop is obviously a bit pricey.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
WSK

Post by WSK »

I'm using Photoshop CS2 that I've now had for a couple of years. If you can find an older version of Photoshop (CS or CS2) you can get it a lot cheaper.

Alternatively you can do 80% - 90% of the same things using Photoshop Elements (although I don't think you can process RAW formats, which may or may not be a big deal for you).

I haven't used any of the latest versions of Elements, but I've heard a lot of really positive things in terms of ease of use and ability to do stuff.
Keep moving forward...
My Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsk/
My Blog:
http://www.aspirekc.com/Blog/
J

Post by J »

GIMP. It is free and open source with regular new releases.
zinckiwi

Post by zinckiwi »

From yesterday's trip to White Island, an active volcano 30 miles out to sea:

(full set)
wire

Post by wire »

I find myself really drawn towards close-up/macro photography so I'm saving up for either a 60mm or 100m f/2.8 Macro lens. I'm hoping to get my hands on both to test drive before I make my final decision.

This is an attempt at HDR

geezer

Post by geezer »

You guys and your HDR lust ;) :P
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Great pics, Zinc. I think the one you posted is my favorite. Sucks that you guys had to wear hard hats though, hehe.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Great pics from White Island zinc, I agree. What a fascinating place to get to visit.

I figured I ought to share some of my more standard fare stuff after the portraits earlier. Here's some more early shots from my D300:

Sunset Sandhill Squadron

Snow Goose Grace Turning on a Wing

Fanning the Flames

I am amazed at the detail the D300 delivers at high ISOs, for e.g. the waxwing in the last shot was at ISO 1000 so I could handhold my 300 F4 with 1.4x Kenko converter.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like Zinc's black and white pic of the stargate from the volcano island. :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Enough wrote:I am amazed at the detail the D300 delivers at high ISOs, for e.g. the waxwing in the last shot was at ISO 1000 so I could handhold my 300 F4 with 1.4x Kenko converter.
That really is awesome for ISO 1000. Are you using Noise Ninja or something, or is it really that noiseless?
Enough

Post by Enough »

wonderpug wrote:
Enough wrote:I am amazed at the detail the D300 delivers at high ISOs, for e.g. the waxwing in the last shot was at ISO 1000 so I could handhold my 300 F4 with 1.4x Kenko converter.
That really is awesome for ISO 1000. Are you using Noise Ninja or something, or is it really that noiseless?
I am pretty sure I had in camera high ISO noise reduction set to low (possibly off- would have to check EXIF to be sure). And then in Capture NX I ran noise reduction but only on the chroma channel so it basically only removed color noise and left detail/grain alone. And then after I brought the file out of RAW as a 16 bit Tiff I ran Noiseware Professional on that image at a very low setting and basically masked out the bird to preserve all detail. It looked pretty damn clean prior to the NR, but I am equally pleased that the file responds well to post process, there seems to be a bunch of latitude. Not quite on the D3 level of amazing high ISO but a huge improvement for me.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I'm admittedly biased, but this picture of RunningGirl1 that my wife took has been elevated to the status of "pictures that don't piss me off". In fact, I have a hard time not using it as my wallpaper. ;)

And here is one more of her that I got at Niagara Falls on the day that I took the earlier shot of the Niagara River.

Enough - that shot of the Snow Goose is phenomenal. Almost good enough to get my daughter kicked off my desktop. ;)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Enough

Post by Enough »

Hey all, in honor of it being Friday I thought I would share some recent stuff. As always you can find larger versions of these by clicking, and even larger sizes are available on my flickr stream linked in my sig. Feel free to use any of my images for a desktop.

Hey Two Sheds, what happened to the Creative mash-up idea?

Anyways, way back in the day we had an urban theme on O.O.P.S. and I finally managed to bring a camera on a business trip to Denver this past week.

1. North Denver Night Steam (dig on the gases coming out of the stacks acting as a lens here)

2. Rosita's On Federal

3. Denver's Skyline: More Impressive Than You Might Think

Changing gears, on a recent Friday I got half the day off and drove up Storm King Mountain Road to a great overlook of the Front Range cities of NE Colorado. I have always been fascinated by atmospheric optical effects and thoroughly and got to enjoy a strange sunset phenomena I see once in awhile. The rays such as these here are actually not in the west but are in the east as the sun goes down. And thanks to the hive mind of flickr I now know that these sort of rays are properly called anti-crepuscular rays. Who says the internet makes you stupid? :)

4. A Parallel Sunset in the East

On a previous Friday night I went out in severe wind and below freezing temps and went for a fools errand of trying some long-time star trail exposures. Remarkably, I got away with it and got a few keepers as a reward for freezing my butt off. I used a handheld strobe manually fired multiple times on full power to light up the foreground a bit.

5. Trails in the Laramie Foothills

Some image notes:

1. Is not hdr and looked very close to this straight out of RAW. I've only added a slight contrast curve adjustment. I am danged impressed with the D300's unprocessed files, even from long-time exposures at night. They are so clean that it's saving me lots of time in post. I don't think I even ran any noise reduction on this besides the in-camera stuff on low.

2. This one is not an HDR, but is DRI. Meaning that I manually blended various exposures together rather than use HDR/tone-mapping. At times it can yield a much more realistic looking result than an HDR and I thought the technique would work well here.

3. This is an HDR comprised of 7 exposures, and then the resultant HDR image was blended down into a non-HDR middle exposure at around 40%. I often find with HDR it's best to take your HDR tone-mapped result and then blend that into a non-HDR image to retain better details and realism. I then added a full moon shot from a previous outing, because I can. :P

4. This is a blend of HDR and DRI techniques. I didn't add any of the rays, but certainly chose a processing method to make sure they showed up well in the final result here.

5. Not much to this one in post, basically curves and a bit of noise reduction.

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Awesome, enough.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
wire

Post by wire »

Image[/url]
geezer

Post by geezer »

I was just going through some old files to figure out what to transfer to a new pc and I stumbled on this shot that I used for my desktop for a looong time:

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

All right, got some good use out of my camera over the weekend and I'm a lookin' for some advice.

I've got some other shots that I'm pretty happy with, but let's start with these two. These are completely untouched, and I'd love to learn how best to touch them up. Usually I--well maybe it's better if I leave out what I usually do and just soak up the advice of our resident experts. The more detail the better, especially regarding things like the order of operations. I welcome any advice or criticism on the shooting side as well. These were both shot with my Panasonic Lumix FZ20 at ISO 100 and f2.8, the first shot at 1/50 sec and the second shot at 1/10 sec.

Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Thought this would be appropriate:
Took it at the NY Aquarium in Coney Island, with my phone.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
soup

Post by soup »

I've been embedded in the local kiteboard scene here for a week or so.

edit: thanks enough.
heres some links to galleries if anyones interested.
http://www.scottgablephotography.com/kite3/index.html
http://www.scottgablephotography.com/kites2/index.html
incredible feeling btw. getting pulled 30mph by a kite is addicting.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Soup, the kiteboard series is really amazingly cool. I still like the grain silo one I commented on earlier the best, so perfect in gritty black and white.

deadzone

Post by deadzone »

This is one I have been playing with a lot since I took it. I cropped it a bit and adjusted the contrast and sharpness some with Picasso. Taken in Landscape Mode on a Pentax K100D without the flash.

Shot of the Louisiana State Capitol

disarm

Post by disarm »

i just returned yesterday from a trip to Cape Town, South Africa. while i have over a thousand pictures from the trip to sort through, here are a few to start things off...

Overlooking Cape Town and the Atlantic from the top of Table Mountain
(that's my friend sitting on the ledge...i joined him right after taking this shot)

looking up the peninsula from the top of Cape Point, on the cliffs over the Cape of Good Hope...
that's the atlantic ocean on the left and the indian ocean on the right. i touched them both in under thirty minutes...very cool 8-)

and a few shots with the locals...

wire

Re: Perpetual Photography Thread

Post by wire »

I'm sure we've all taken some pictures since the Great OO Collapse of 2008. :D

Haven't done much wildlife so this is an early attempt.

Here's a 13x19 panoramic photo (9 pictures stitched together) for a class I took last semester. I can't decide which version I like.

click picture for a larger version

Not really a photo (other than I took the pictures of my wife). Another project for a Photoshop class I just took. While everyone else in the class was making movie posters with pictures of their kids or dogs I went a little different and went with a 70's B movie / Kung Fu movie theme.

click for larger version
Enough

Post by Enough »

Very cool Wire, thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I had missed disarm's posting and really like the rhinos shot!

I've already commented on the bird photo on flickr, but I will repeat you did good for a first attempt, the subject isolation is key. On the pano,
I prefer the color version here, but b&w certainly works fine too. I just like how the white birds pop in the color version.

What did your wife think of the PS project?

Here's one I just posted today that I'm pretty happy with (the links on the photos lead back to flickr where you can find larger sizes
for desktops):

Zirkel Zone Zest

And a few recent ones from this summer...

A Nice Day on the Plains

And here's a photo I took of the 56' T-Bird my dad just finished restoring to new condition:

And an HDR under the hood:

wire

Post by wire »

Nice shots Enough...

I really like the HDR shot of the engine.

Heh...my wife laughed her ass off. We met in a Kung Fu class years ago :)

<edit> thanks for the Flickr comments...I appreciate it. One of these days I'll feel more comfortable with seeking out feedback on Flickr :)
wire

Post by wire »

A few from a recent trip up to Seattle and the WA coast. I went out with my sister-in-laws husband and took some night pictures of Seattle. We are both new to photography so it was fun trying to figure out what settings are best used for night shots.

wire

Post by wire »

Mt. St. Helens panorama

Even though I grew up near the mountain and witnessed the eruption I had never been up to any of the observation stations until this summer. This is a seven photo panorama taken from the Johnston Ridge Observatory. It can be viewed larger on my Flickr (link below).
Enough

Post by Enough »

Wire, I really like those rock stacking images, great depth of field! The pano obviously took bunches of work and
the extra clarity of view from the observation station is appreciated.

I thought I would feature a couple of night shots from two weekends ago showing off Jupiter's position the night sky right now:

Orbital Motion

Jupiter in Sagittarius

Both images were taken from essentially the same location, with the still stars first. The foreground
is showing up on the trails due to stacking methods and the foreground on the second is from light
painting with an LED headlamp. The star trails shot is one of my first stacked star trail images, usually
in the past I used slide film or used 15-30 min exposures on a dslr. For this image, 62 1 min 11 sec exposures
1 sec apart were combined with this free Photoshop action. Others you might want to try, especially if you
need a stand alone if you don't have PS are here and here. I would think even a point and shoot digicam
could pull off stacking if you used maybe only 30 sec exposures to keep down noise, anyone want to try? :)

Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

A picture taken in winter in Germany off the Ems River.

Another shot taken at the same spot
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
wire

Post by wire »

Both images were taken from essentially the same location, with the still stars first. The foreground
is showing up on the trails due to stacking methods and the foreground on the second is from light
painting with an LED headlamp. The star trails shot is one of my first stacked star trail images, usually
in the past I used slide film or used 15-30 min exposures on a dslr. For this image, 62 1 min 11 sec exposures
1 sec apart were combined with this free Photoshop action. Others you might want to try, especially if you
need a stand alone if you don't have PS are here and here. I would think even a point and shoot digicam
could pull off stacking if you used maybe only 30 sec exposures to keep down noise, anyone want to try? :)
Beautiful photos as usual. I tried some star trail pictures while on vacation and discovered that keeping your shutter open for a set amount of time also meant it was going to take the same amount of time to process it once your close the shutter. Learned something new. :)

I need to try the stacking trick and that PS action out now...thanks for that.