Perpetual Photography Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Perpetual Photography Thread

Post by Zaxxon »

Terrible resolution as this stretches the capability of my 230mm lens, but... Jupiter is currently at opposition. Here she is, along with her Galilean moons and the star Spica hanging out below.Image
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Nicely done. Did you piggyback your camera to a scope?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No, this is just a tripod shot from my Fuji X-T10 using a 230mm zoom lens, some clear-sky luck, and a bit of Lightroom processing to tighten it up.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, you've certainly had better clear sky luck than I have :D It's actually fairly detailed for what it is.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks. It does make me want a scope, though.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's never too late! You just have to find one that meets your needs. And they don't have to be expensive either.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't done any real research into them. Are there universal connectors to attach to the camera?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It depends. There are even some phone adapters. But you might be thinking of T-Ring adapters, which still need camera specific thread rings. which can possibly be adapted to use almost anything. You'll have to ask around for that seeing as you use a Fuji camera.

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/as ... -t-adapter
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tell me about tripods. I have an Amazon Basics one that is hell to try to keep stable when adjusting (eg for the Jupiter shot I'd line it up, let go, and watch it slide down, left, etc.). The controls suck for small, accurate adjustments to positioning, and long exposures are right out.

I've got spousal approval to get a replacement for my birthday so long as I don't go nuts with the cost. Suggestions? I'd love to swap out for one that will last me a long time. Size/weight isn't a huge concern so long as it's not completely unwieldy. I'd like something I can fit in or on my hiking pack.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I actually picked up a new tripod about a year and a half ago. I ended up getting a Vanguard Alta Pro, and it's pretty sweet. It's a ball mount, and unfortunately doesn't have a pistol grip, but I was told that you can swap out the heads for a Manfrotto pistol grip if you wanted to. It's got some pretty awesome features, like for instance being able to set it up horizontally for some interesting shots from low on the ground. Got it for around $170 CND.

It's featured in this article:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tripod/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks for the link. I actually wound up ordering a 3 Legged Thing Travis this morning after a photog friend at work raved about 3LT. Vanguard Alta was a close second. We'll see how I like the 3LT model.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm using a MeFOTO GlobeTrotter which is pretty similar. I'm going to replace the head at some point, but it's a really nice compact tripod AND I love that you can quickly convert it to a monopod. :horse:

http://www.mefoto.com/products/globetro ... oCoMvw_wcB
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Those are both very nice tripods. I hope you enjoy yours, Zaxxon!

I was overwhelmed by the amount of options when I was looking to buy a new one. What I was replacing was an older tripod that was very bulky and cumbersome to use, and also had a lot of sharp edges which didn't make it very comfortable to pick up and use in the dark. For the most part, tripods have improved quite a bit.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Enough

Post by Enough »

Have heard good things about the 3LT, hope you dig it. And he's being humble, but hasn't Rumpy built a telescope with Mr. Dobson himself? :wub:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I've been lucky enough to have hung out with him quite a bit, but I've never actually built anything with him. Rather, that would be my Dad. They both grinded a large mirror together as part of a project, and he's stayed at our house in the 80's.

Here are a couple from these sessions:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Dragged my tripod on my hike today. Looks like it paid off. :) Wish I had an ND filter so I could have used a wider aperture. That's why the picture isn't pin sharp. I'd love to go back and try again, but the crowd around that place was a bit dicey... :doh:

Image20170416-JAG_8019-Edit-2-Edit by Jeff Garnett, on Flickr
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I liked your Devon Rex cat shot on 500px. Great eyes.

Here's one I took today while shooting my girls in their Easter dresses. A cool rock pattern in the walking path:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice I like the pattern. :)

Here's the cat picture. The wall color actually matches the eyes which is a neat stroke of luck. I did do some minor cleanup as that cat always has some kind of issues around the eyes.
Image20170416-JAG_7953-Edit by Jeff Garnett, on Flickr

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My daughter (and mayyyybeeeee me) wanted a pen tablet for the computer. Grabbed a Wacum Intuos from Best Buy for 80 bucks. Holy crap it's SOOOOO much easier to do details with the pen compared to the mouse. Highly recommended! Touching up eyes is a total snap now. I also learned yesterday what the auto mask does in Lightroom. I've been going insane trying to figure out why sometimes it wouldn't mask everything. I really should RTFM. :P

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Does it only mask motorized vehicles?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Isgrimnur wrote:Does it only mask motorized vehicles?
That's exactly how it works.

Before:

After:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:lol:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I was hiking on Saturday and I had a chance encounter with a Sandhill Crane. They're not all that common up where I am, so it was quite a surprise to see it. Even more surprising was its call, which was so unique.

Also had some other encounters, such as a mallard. This guy allowed me to get fairly close to him before he got nervous.

This is all just with my Sony P&S.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote:So, I was hiking on Saturday and I had a chance encounter with a Sandhill Crane. They're not all that common up where I am, so it was quite a surprise to see it. Even more surprising was its call, which was so unique.
Sandhill crane calls
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, saw that while I was doing some research. The call I heard was even more distinctive. It had made me stop to look in the direction it was coming from. It was very loud.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Enough

Post by Enough »

I get chills from Sandhill Crane calls, it's almost prehistoric/Jurassic Park like.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's exactly what I was thinking! It made me stop and wonder "what the heck is that??" Especially in an uncommon area. I think what I heard might have been a warning call too. A very loud sharp and clear call. If I had a way to record it, it was loud enough that it would have sounded very clear in the recording.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote:Also had some other encounters, such as a mallard. This guy girl allowed me to get fairly close to him her before he she got nervous.
:D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Saw a huge snapping turtle on a walk through the forest preserve yesterday. Only had my iPhone, so the picture I got isn't worth posting here. But damn, he was big.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Unagi wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Also had some other encounters, such as a mallard. This guy girl allowed me to get fairly close to him her before he she got nervous.

Thanks for correcting me. :D What are the defining features that let you know? Is it the blue stripe or yellow beak? When searching I found that some had grey beaks. Anyhow, I was pretty happy to get such a clear shot of it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I found some pretty old photos... My grandparents' wedding photo. It's tiny though. And it's not in the best of condition.

Which brought me to a recent discoveriy... Google Photoscan Use your smartphone to scan in any hardcopy photo, glare free, almost any size. It *mostly* works. It needs a good contrasting background to do the auto edge detection. But I got some very old photos digitized, and I need to do a lot more.

This is my grandma (left) and her older sister (right), way back when.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Male birds are always the flashy ones. You hear about peacocks. No one talks about peahens.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rumpy wrote:
Unagi wrote:

Thanks for correcting me. :D What are the defining features that let you know? Is it the blue stripe or yellow beak? When searching I found that some had grey beaks. Anyhow, I was pretty happy to get such a clear shot of it.
The Cornell link Isi left for their calls is pretty much state of the art for bird ID needs. Here's Mallard.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Heh, I should have known. All this time, I thought the difference was in a difference species of Mallard...
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Speaking of peacocks. I got this one on Friday. Such odd colors, it looks washed out.

Enlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:I found some pretty old photos... My grandparents' wedding photo. It's tiny though. And it's not in the best of condition.

Which brought me to a recent discoveriy... Google Photoscan Use your smartphone to scan in any hardcopy photo, glare free, almost any size. It *mostly* works. It needs a good contrasting background to do the auto edge detection. But I got some very old photos digitized, and I need to do a lot more.

This is my grandma (left) and her older sister (right), way back when.
Great pic. Looks like the 40s there. If only we could all stay young like that. Your family are all from the San Fran area? Chinese right? I was thinking Japanese at first then remembered San Fran has a really nice China Town. And your grandmom's dress. So pretty.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I was out doing a bit of wandering around town.

344A3064_DxO by Glenn, on Flickr

344A3079_DxO by Glenn, on Flickr
Enough

Post by Enough »

Very nice, love to see the black and white work!