Perpetual Photography Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tjg_marantz

Re: Perpetual Photography Thread

Post by tjg_marantz »

Ate on the rooftop Ame and walked around town a couple years ago. Such a beautiful city.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
geezer

Post by geezer »

tjg_marantz wrote:Ate on the rooftop Ame and walked around town a couple years ago. Such a beautiful city.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yep. I loved it. Told my wife I'd move there immediately :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Very nice. In other nice news, I got my camera back from Fuji today! Huzzah! I can take photos without a spot in them again!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

A sunset from one of my favourite places. Breezy Hill, Springfield, Vermont.

Enlarge Image

Does anyone know how to reduce the effect of lens flare? I have Lightroom if that helps any.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
geezer

Post by geezer »

Zaxxon wrote:Very nice. In other nice news, I got my camera back from Fuji today! Huzzah! I can take photos without a spot in them again!
That's always nice, right? :) It's never fun to come back from a trip or a job and find one spot right in the middle of every frame. Been there...
geezer

Post by geezer »

Rumpy wrote:A sunset from one of my favourite places. Breezy Hill, Springfield, Vermont.

Enlarge Image

Does anyone know how to reduce the effect of lens flare? I have Lightroom if that helps any.
Looks like a beautiful place :) Sadly, there's not much you can do in post about something like that (except an ungodly amount of cloning time in Photoshop). That's not a "quick click" fix like a dust spot or an underexposure/noise issue. Sorry :( On the other hand, the flare doesn't really ruin the image for me, so there's that.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

A few from my recent trip to Washington State...

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

geezer wrote:
Rumpy wrote:A sunset from one of my favourite places. Breezy Hill, Springfield, Vermont.

Enlarge Image

Looks like a beautiful place :) Sadly, there's not much you can do in post about something like that (except an ungodly amount of cloning time in Photoshop). That's not a "quick click" fix like a dust spot or an underexposure/noise issue. Sorry :( On the other hand, the flare doesn't really ruin the image for me, so there's that.

Yeah, I was more or less thinking maybe there'd be a way to turn it down a bit, but it's beautiful either way. I've learned that there are tricks you can do while taking the picture, like blocking out the sun with a finger and taking it out in post. Would love to see a lense-flare removal tool at some point in the future.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wire

Post by wire »

A lens hood and ND filters can help with lens flares.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tweeting to JJ Abrams.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I haven't run into lens flare issues too much. Just have to be careful about sun placement and use a lens hood. I ALWAYS use a lens hood even inside. It has an added bonus of protecting my lens from me being a spaz. :)

An actual good picture with my 80-200. I have such a love hate with that thing. Now when i use it I shoot with Auto ISO to make sure I never go below the shutter speed. That has helped a lot. Someday I'll get a modern 70-200 or the Sigma 50-100. The sigma doesn't have VR which is a bit of a bummer.

Enlarge Image

Lens can certainly get a stellar shot which I don't screw it up. It's just soooo touchy compared to any other lens I use.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, considering I took that pic with a cell phone.... I don't think they make lense hoods for them do they? I'm surprised I got it as good as what we're seeing here.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Hell some phones have add on cameras so who knows anymore. I don't even bother trying to take pictures with my phone. I'm terrible at it. It amazes me what some people are able to do with them sometimes.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

geezer

Post by geezer »

Zaxxon wrote:A few from my recent trip to Washington State...

Those eagles are awesome :)
Enough

Post by Enough »

Enlarge Image

I think part of the impact of this image comes from the red. That said if you wish to dampen the impact but can live with the distortion you can do local adjustments to saturation/brightness and contrast like I did here with only a quick cloning out the thin flare line in the bottom right (just did this quick and dirty):

Enlarge Image

I may still prefer the red version, not sure.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I agree. I actually went into Lightroom and tried experimenting by turning down the reds, but it does lessen the impact. It also removes a lot of the warmth from the image. The toned down image looks a bit too sterile in the end. It's kind of interesting what the red does to our visual perspective.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
geezer

Post by geezer »

Hey OO homies - I just found out that some of my photography is going to accompany a feature in Architectural Digest this fall, which is sort of cool, huh? :)

This is a project I'm working on currently - shooting the house, and then I dropped my "endless Summer" inspired image onto the interior brick feature wall.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its all CGI! There is no spoon!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Enough

Post by Enough »

geezer wrote:Hey OO homies - I just found out that some of my photography is going to accompany a feature in Architectural Digest this fall, which is sort of cool, huh? :)

This is a project I'm working on currently - shooting the house, and then I dropped my "endless Summer" inspired image onto the interior brick feature wall.

Enlarge Image
Oh my! AD is up there with Nat Geo, fabulous news!!!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
geezer

Post by geezer »

Enough wrote:
geezer wrote:Hey OO homies - I just found out that some of my photography is going to accompany a feature in Architectural Digest this fall, which is sort of cool, huh? :)

Enlarge Image
Thanks - it's not a cover or anything, and may just be a regional content piece, but it's still kinda nifty :)
wire

Post by wire »

geezer wrote:
Enough wrote:

Enlarge Image
Thanks - it's not a cover or anything, and may just be a regional content piece, but it's still kinda nifty :)
Congrats geezer :)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

That's amazing! Congratulations!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Way cool, geez.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Awesome! :horse:

wire

Post by wire »

I've been a bit bored with my photography of late so I've turned to playing around in Photoshop using my photographs as a base for more abstract work. Here are a few examples...no longer photographs but were at one time.

I have a series of them going and the nice thing is I'm finding uses for some of my crappier photos...it doesn't have to be a perfect composition as I'm just needing colors, contrasts and shapes to create these.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Enlarge Image
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It's a little busy, but more of a snapshot to show the baby bluebird. Tried to capture how insistent he was, but that's hard with a still shot. This was also taken through a not so clean window.

I tried a couple of things to tone down the too many elements in the shot (slight vignette, slight desaturate around edges), but it's still cluttered. The $%@# finch photobombing in background doesn't help anything! :P

An alt take might be to crop a bit more.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Not shared anything for a long time but here is one I really liked. Went on Narrowboat holiday and met this guy who lives on the canal on his boat.

ImageNarrowboat Folk
geezer

Post by geezer »

wire wrote:I've been a bit bored with my photography of late so I've turned to playing around in Photoshop using my photographs as a base for more abstract work. Here are a few examples...no longer photographs but were at one time.

I have a series of them going and the nice thing is I'm finding uses for some of my crappier photos...it doesn't have to be a perfect composition as I'm just needing colors, contrasts and shapes to create these.
Those are really cool. Do you mind sharing the general process you go through to make them?
wire

Post by wire »

Heh...hope you are ready for my super complex time consuming Photoshop processing. :D

Here is a base image I used to create one of my abstract pieces. What I look for are colors, contrast and shapes and it really doesn't matter if the composition is good or not. I'm finding uses for some of my snapshot images which is cool since they are taking up space on my hard drive but I can't bring myself to just delete.

Enlarge Image

Using Photoshop...

- Make two copy layers of the image
- Using Filter> Blur> Motion Blur
- One layer Angle 90 degrees and Distance 2000 pixels (adjust to preference in preview)
- One layer Angle 0 degrees and Distance 2000 pixels (adjust to preference in preview)
- Select top layer and move through Adjustment Layers until you find the one you like (I tend to use Darken and Lighten the most)
- Use Image Adjustments (brightness/contrast, vibrancy, colors, etc) on each layer as desired
- Save
- Total processing time 5-10 minutes

Here is how the above image turned out

Last edited by wire on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geezer

Post by geezer »

wire wrote:Heh...hope you are ready for my super complex time consuming Photoshop processing. :D

Here is a base image I used to create one of my abstract pieces. What I look for are colors, contrast and shapes and it really doesn't matter if the composition is good or not. I'm finding uses for some of my snapshot images which is cool since they are taking up space on my hard drive but I can't bring myself to just delete.

Enlarge Image

Using Photoshop...

- Make two copy layers of the image
- Using Filter> Blur> Motion Blur
- One layer Angle 90 degrees and Distance 2000 pixels (adjust to preference in preview)
- One layer Angle 0 degrees and Distance 2000 pixels (adjust to preference in preview)
- Select top layer and move through Adjustment Layers until you find the one you like (I tend to use Darken and Lighten the most)
- Use Image Adjustments (brightness/contrast, vibrancy, colors, etc) on each layer as desired
- Save
- Total processing time 5-10 minutes

Here is how the above image turned out

Big img tag not working for me, but I get the point :) That's a surprisingly simple action for a really cool result. Along the same lines, I've been playing with multiple in-camera exposures, or loooong ICM shots just for the same reasons you cited.

Enlarge Image
wire

Post by wire »

The big image link should work now...for some reason the other didn't work if you weren't logged into Google.

I like you image...double exposure is fun to play with :)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Haven't really gotten out much at all this summer. :( Last week of August I have a nice trip planned. We'll be hitting an island in Maryland that has wild horses. If I don't get some good stuff out of that I should just toss my camera out. Super excited as I really have been bored and can't find anything I really what to photograph lately. :(

Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Enlarge ImageDante by David Elton, on Flickr
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Couple from this weekend. I better have a ton of photos after my trip next week or I'll be upset.

My Tamron 70-300 is started to grow on me. Soft at 300mm, but if you stop down it's pretty good.
Enlarge Image

This is a 3 image stack to retain the details. I haven't really done HDR shots before, but it seems pretty simple to achieve. Bracket... Import into lightroom and then merge them. :) Sigma 17-50

Enlarge Image

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Very nice.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Didn't get a lot of pictures on the trip sadly. Just too much running around. Wish I had more time to explore the island.

Enlarge Image

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

The photo below was taken by my son who is 10 on his point and shoot camera with a x30 zoom. Very little editing done and was shot in jpeg rather than raw. AT this year's Bournemouth Air Festival.

ImageRed Arrows
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920