The Lion King

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Chaosraven

The Lion King

Post by Chaosraven »

Has anyone else seen the Stage Production of The Lion King?

Phenomenal.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

I've actually been waiting for it to show up around my neck of the woods so I can go.

It worth the cash? Should I bring some sort of womanfolk so I look less like a sissy?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. Saw it in NYC. I'm not really a Broadway show type of guy, but The Lion King was pretty amazing. IIRC when we saw it Max Casella (i.e. Vinnie from Doogie Howser) was Timon.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RMC

Post by RMC »

I took the wife to the Lion King a few months back. A great show well worth the money.

However, I happen to like showtunes, ect. So take my appraisal with a grain of salt.

I am going to go and see Wicked with the wife in just a few weeks, I hope it is as good as Lion King.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
GamrIrv

Post by GamrIrv »

the stage production of the lion king is fantastic.

all of the costumes are brilliantly designed and are wonderful to watch.

the singing is usually very very good, but it also depends on how the performers are feeling that night.

definitely a recommended watch for anyone who has the opportunity.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Just wanted to fifth or sixth this. The stage production was absolutely amazing. I wish I could go see it again.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I agree with everyone else. I saw it a few years back in Los Angeles when I was on a high school band trip(from Louisiana). Although most of us slept through parts of it, out of sheer exhaustion, I am sad I did. I did see most of it and it was all spectacular.

Marching in a parade the day before, earlier the day of the show and going to sleep around 1AM and waking up at 7AM every day kinda makes your body shut down in any dark area. Not to mention jet lag. (Band trips were tough)
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

I drove down early to pick up my daughter, my parents brought my boys, and my wife and younger daughter showed up with my sister and her husband... we descended upon Toledo to see the show.

I generally don't care for Musicals. I prefer Plays. But I absolutely loved this.

The part that struck me funny was after the show hearing the comparisons of Mufasa and Scar (in the show) to James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons (from the movie)...

The reason that struck me funny is that I have seen versions of Into the Woods from College Productions to the Bernadette Peters one.

Do these things get held to a standard? Or have a "definitive version"?

I understand that people get wacky over the Remake issue of movies, but do people get that way about theater?
"Where are you off to?"
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Chaosraven wrote:I generally don't care for Musicals. I prefer Plays. But I absolutely loved this.
Ditto.

I pretty much hate musicals, but my wife convinced me to go see this. It was awesome and I'm glad she did.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I saw it in Toronto, NY's Eve, 2002 iirc. It was really good.
Your ad here.
ohbalto

Post by ohbalto »

I have a cool Lion King (on Broadway story).

I bought tickets to the preview shows. Those are the shows they put on before the "opening". I know that sounds counterintuitive, but there you go.

My then-girlfriend and I bought tickets on Tuesday for Thursday, or something like that. Our showing was the one Rosie O'Donnell went to, and went on the air the next day (or whatever) and went absolutely bug-shit.

Show was sold out for a year after that.

Yes, I am a trendsetter. Yes, you should absolutely go. Even if you hate the music, it's worth it just to see how they pull off the movie on stage through puppetry, scenery and effects.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I haven't seen the broadway show but the Lion King Show as Animal Kingdom in Disney World is amazing as well. I was floored by how cool the show was and it's a must if you're down at Disney anytime soon. My daughter who was 18 months at the time was hopping up and down with excitment the entire show. She actually got so tired from jumping that she fell asleep at the end. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Question - would you like it if you hated the movie?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Pyperkub wrote:Question - would you like it if you hated the movie?
I suppose that depends on why you hated the Movie.

Same sappy sweet songs plus some new ones, story arc is there, but the Way they Work the Story is AMAZING from a Stagecraft POV
"Where are you off to?"

jament

Post by jament »

My 7 year old daughter sat there with her mouth hanging open the whole time. So did my wife and I actually....

A phenomenal show. The creativity used to create the scenes from the movie is stunning.
Isgrimnur

Re: The Lion King

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reboot
The Lion King is returning to theaters—albeit, not the same one audiences fell in love with 22 years ago. The Walt Disney Company announced Wednesday that it has tapped Jon Favreau for a reimagining of its 1994 animated blockbuster. It's now on the "fast track to production."
Key details, including a release date and casting news, have yet to be announced. In April, two "Untitled Disney Live Action" movies were put on the calendar: Aug. 3, 2018 and Dec. 25, 2018. The new Lion King will include songs from the original animated movie, the studio said. Favreau last directed Disney's The Jungle Book, which earned $965.8 million worldwide after its April debut. He is also developing a sequel to The Jungle Book, though the film's release date is TBD.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I saw the stage show probably around the time this original topic was posted. I can only assume there was something screwy with the sound system the night I saw it, because the music absolutely drove me nuts. The percussion was about half a beat off from the rest of the orchestra, just enough to be completely distracting for the entire show.

The costuming and set design were pretty incredible though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Re:

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote:Question - would you like it if you hated the movie?
if you are into staging and musicals in general, Yes - it will totally transcend the story, it's that amazing a show.

But if you can't stomach some of the sap, it's still in there.

edit: :horse: :oops:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

My wife's interested in the reboot movie, but I can't figure out why. The animated version is a classic. Doing it live action just seems like it'll be super weird. Talking, singing animals (and only talking, singing animals) works great in animation, but a pack of dancing hyenas or a love song between two real-looking lions just sounds strange. I can't even imagine what the hell they're going to do with "I Just Can't Wait to be King."
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

2nd row balcony tickets purchased for the Dallas Summer Musicals performance in June.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:14 am 2nd row balcony tickets purchased for the Dallas Summer Musicals performance in June.
Say hi to my wife if you see her. She'll be there with her parents down in orchestra. I mean assuming you go to the same show. I think they usually do a Sunday show.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sunday evening show, as that's our only shared day off. And I couldn't pick your wife out of a lineup.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:00 am Sunday evening show, as that's our only shared day off. And I couldn't pick your wife out of a lineup.
Easy, just walk up to every woman, give them a goofy, creepy smile and wave, and the one who doesn't slap you is probably her!
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I would not count on that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The Jungle Book remake was quite good, and this is being directed by the same person, so I'm willing to give it a chance, but I do agree that the animated movie will be hard to top. But if Baloo can sing and dance, this will be just more of that kind of thing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti