I need glasses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Two Sheds

I need glasses

Post by Two Sheds »

Earlier, while working on a drawing, I realized I couldn't focus on anything. Like my autofocus just stopped working and I couldn't get it to turn back on. At the same time, I had this weird shimmering in my peripheral vision that just would not go away, even if I shut my eyes. It passed after about 15 minutes and I was left with a slight headache, but I could see just fine. Still, it freaked me out enough that I called an eye doctor and made an appointment for this afternoon.

Turns out, I had a slight migraine caused by eye strain. Because I need glasses. Astygmatism. And once we started doing the better/worse, read-this-chart lens thingy, I could clearly see a difference. And I've always noticed that if I just relax my eyes completely they go blurry. I just thought that's how eyes worked. Turns out: no, that's not how eyes work.

Long story short, I get glasses tomorrow. Or at least I pick out my frames tomorrow. My girlfriend wears contacts and it always freaks me out when she touches her eyeball, so I don't think I'll be going that route.

Edit: Aw man, I bet my LCD at home totally isn't actually blurry. This is going to make gaming much more awesome.
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

She probably isn't ever touching her eyeball, just the lens. I tried contacts but I am just incapable of putting them in without struggling for a half hour or so.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Debris

Post by Debris »

Glasses are the suck. Contacts are so much better once you take the time to get used to them. I'll take touching my eyeball once a day vs cleaning lenses all the time.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Well I know, but it's as good as touching her eyeball. Either way it bothers me.
abr

Post by abr »

You get used to it pretty fast. Also, as coopasonic said, there's usually not much eyeball-touching going on. There's a big difference between actually touching the eyeball (unpleasant) and touching the lens (no discomfort at all).

Now, if your girlfriend has long fingernails I can totally understand why that would freak you out. ;)

edit: Well, perhaps I should say some people get used to it pretty fast, some don't. I'd suggest you find out to which group you belong.

In my case, I forgot about the lenses five minute after putting them in for the first time and can easily take them out and put them back in in the dark now. I could never go back to wearing glasses. To me the only alternative would be the laser thingy but that freaks me out. ;)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

coopasonic wrote:She probably isn't ever touching her eyeball, just the lens. I tried contacts but I am just incapable of putting them in without struggling for a half hour or so.
It took me a few days to get the hang of it. Hell, it took me a few hours just to get comfortable with getting my finger close. I can remember almost crying with frustration that I could finally see, but couldn't put the contacts in myself.

However - it is sooo worth it. If only for being able to wear real sunglasses.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Hmm. Sunglasses. Very good point.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get used to contacts. Tried several times with different kinds, but I could always feel a ridge against my eyelid in my right eye. Yes, this was with the ultra-thin soft contacts as well. Why? I have no idea. So for some folks, contacts aren't necessarily the answer, although I wish they worked for me.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Two Sheds wrote:Hmm. Sunglasses. Very good point.
When I picked out my current glasses one of my top criteria was that they had clip-on sunglasses available. They cost me ~$75 as I recall but they go right over the lenses and look pretty good.

Of course that was about 7 years ago. I guess it's about time to get new glasses...

When my mother grew up in Queens, NYC she learned to cross the street by listening for cars. It wasn't until she was older that she went to an eye doctor, got glasses and discovered that you could actually see the cars.

:shock:
abr

Post by abr »

:shock: indeed.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Exodor wrote:clip-on sunglasses available... look pretty good.
You just lost all credibility, this emoticon should be appropriate: 8-)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Some people simply look better with glasses. Plus, they make a nice accessory. Girls love a man with glasses.
PeteRock

Post by PeteRock »

I have actually come to prefer glasses to contacts. Granted, in some cases contacts would be ideal, but overall I am happy to be back to wearing glasses.

I have worn contacts for almost 20 years, and in that time I have been a little inconsistent with my contact discipline. For example, in college there were many nights when it was simply easier to wear my contacts to sleep rather than take them out (crashing at someone else's place, too drunk to care, too lazy to care, etc), even though I was supposed to take them out every night. I also had a habit of wearing a set of contacts far beyond their useful life.

The results? My eyes were being starved for oxygen and the blood vessels began to grow and move closer to the surface (not noticable to the naked eye). This is an irreversable problem that can inevitably lead to a complete inability to wear contacts any longer.

Solution? I was directed by my doctor to purchase a pair of glasses to wear in the evenings to give my eyes some time to "breathe." And, in typical PeteRock fashion, rather than accept one of the three free frame options provided by our insurance, I opted to purchase the frames of my choosing. And, without ever looking at the price tag, I managed to choose the most expensive frames in the store.

Rules? My wife understood that I would be more likely to wear glasses I actually liked, rather than glasses I was merely forced to wear. But I was expected to actually wear my new glasses regularly enough to justify the additional expense.

I began wearing my new glasses to work, but I'd continue to wear contacts to the gym or whenever I was doing something active. Over time I found that rolling out of bed and throwing on my glasses was far easier to do than fussing with contacts (especially if I needed to take our young puppy out to the bathroom and didn't want to fall down the stairs and die). It took some time to adjust back to wearing glasses as my depth perception and peripheral vision were effected (as well as my ability to look down with my eyes rather than with my head, which would result in me looking below my glasses and causing instantaneous partial blindness), but over time I managed to adjust and now wear glasses full-time.

The problem I have now is I can't wear contacts, but not because my eyes are starved for oxygen, but because I become dizzy from the change in view. I immediately start to become dizzy and nauseous if I wear contacts. Yes, swimming is a bit of a challenge, and steam is a mortal enemy, but for the most part I prefer wearing glasses. There is also the option of automatically-tinting lenses, which is something I wish I would have considered prior to moving to Arizona.
Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.

E-A-G-L-E-S...........EAGLES!
cheeba

Re: I need glasses

Post by cheeba »

Arise!

For the first time since I was wee I went to the optometrist and, being over 40, of course I need glasses. I went over to the room full of glasses to pick out my frames and the only one I liked isn't covered by my insurance. So I put a hold on ordering them for a few days until I get the money and now I'm looking online and I'm wondering - is it crazy to get frames at the optometrist's? I'll have to call the office to make sure they're the same ones, but I think I've found the same frames online for $100 less.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Check out the price at Costco if you have one nearby. We've been getting ours there for years. They're always $100-$200 cheaper than everyone else.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

tgb wrote:Check out the price at Costco if you have one nearby. We've been getting ours there for years. They're always $100-$200 cheaper than everyone else.
This. However, I know that my insurance actually covers a lot less if I get the frames from CostCo. I have not done the math, but I suspect that the end cost would be pretty comparable. I should note, as well, that I upped my Vision insurance to the better option before the last round of glasses. Without insurance I suspect that CostCo would be a MUCH better deal.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I don't have vision coverage but tlr does, and it was still $150 less at Costco.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Goggles4u or Zenni Optical

I've bought basic glasses for $10-20, bifocals for $30, metal frame w/ mirror tint for $60 (prescription sunglasses), and photochromatic for $60 (w/ prescription).

Zenni has better selection of frames. The ones on Goggles4U are very "plastic-y".
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

TheMix wrote:
tgb wrote:Check out the price at Costco if you have one nearby. We've been getting ours there for years. They're always $100-$200 cheaper than everyone else.
This. However, I know that my insurance actually covers a lot less if I get the frames from CostCo. I have not done the math, but I suspect that the end cost would be pretty comparable. I should note, as well, that I upped my Vision insurance to the better option before the last round of glasses. Without insurance I suspect that CostCo would be a MUCH better deal.
With my insurance I did do the math. Frames from a Target Optical were over $150 cheaper (despite less insurance coverage) than straight from the eye doctor.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I just buy 'em off the rack at Walgreens. With my sister's discount, I pay about $10 for 3 pair. I'm in my mid-50's, but only need them for reading.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I got my current specs at Warby Parker. Went to their Boston store (which kind of defeats the whole buy-online thing) where I got 20% off due to a personal connection. After insurance I only paid $50 out of pocket. Their price is competitive if you don't need progressive lenses, selection is good, quality is top-drawer. I expect to buy Rx sunglasses there when my insurance recharges next year.

As for buying at the optometrist's shop: Be aware that prices are always negotiable. They will invariably take 20-25% off if you have AAA or AARP membership, and they'll often match competitors' quotes. If they won't negotiate, walk out.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Got the model number and size of the frames I picked at the optometrist's office. They were 65% cheaper online. Saves me $120. So I went ahead and ordered them and should get them in a few days. Thanks for the help everyone!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You may be able to find something in Zenni Optical for even less that look like the frame you want.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

I got glasses for the first time in April of this year. I opted for vision insurance because the wife and one child needed it, but low and behold it worked out for me. My insurance gives discounts if you order through Eyeconic. I got Nike frames with progressive polycarbonate lenses which included Sharper Image "TechShield" for reflecting blue-light if you use a lot of electronics. Total cost was $164. I have no complaints.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just got a new pair in with a new prescription last night: progressive lenses. These things are a pain in the ass. I can't move my eyes to look at things. I have to turn my whole head and point my face directly at it. I feel like Keaton's Batman, yanking my head back and forth all the time. Of course I really do need them. Prior to now I always had to choose: put on my reading glasses and see clearly up to three feet, or put on my regular glasses and see clearly past three feet. Never both. When I've played card based games lately, I've actually had to wear both pairs at once, the reading slightly below the regular so that I can see both the cards in my hand and the elements on the table.

The learning curve on these though, ugh. 24 hours now and I still always feel like I have something in my eye throwing my focus off.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I swear by my progressives, hopefully you will get used to them. Plus they transition to shades in the sun 8-)
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't like my progressives either. Even after months, and having had the fit adjusted twice, turning my head still feels like I'm on a rocking ship's deck. And the perfect-focus sweet spot is really small. Think I'll go back to bifocals next time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 pm I swear by my progressives, hopefully you will get used to them. Plus they transition to shades in the sun 8-)
I've wanted those.

How often do they 'misfire?' Darkening in bright rooms, for instance? And, if you've experienced it, how do they handle artificial sunlight (like daylight bulbs?)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:21 pm turning my head still feels like I'm on a rocking ship's deck. And the perfect-focus sweet spot is really small.
That's exactly how I've been feeling, but I really need the functionality so I'll give them time.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:33 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 pm I swear by my progressives, hopefully you will get used to them. Plus they transition to shades in the sun 8-)
I've wanted those.

How often do they 'misfire?' Darkening in bright rooms, for instance? And, if you've experienced it, how do they handle artificial sunlight (like daylight bulbs?)
They only darken in sunlight, not indoors. No misfires.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Photochromatic lenses (generic term for "Transition (tm)" lenses) are not very dark, but they do darken when exposed to sunlight (technically, UV light). They work pretty well, but actual sunglasses are darker. I've had them for a while on the pair I sometimes wear. I don't need them to drive, but they do improve clarity.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It took a full seven days before the floating a boat feeling stopped for me. Took another week for me to start to forget I had bifocal s. It was a rough 14 days, but now it is great.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stessier wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:19 pm It took a full seven days before the floating a boat feeling stopped for me. Took another week for me to start to forget I had bifocal s. It was a rough 14 days, but now it is great.
Bifocals or progressives?
I've had progressives and couldn't stand them. I'm doing the 2 sets of glasses thing also.
I've never had bifocals and am wondering if they'd be better.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Two Sheds wrote: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:26 pm
Long story short, I get glasses tomorrow. Or at least I pick out my frames tomorrow. My girlfriend wears contacts and it always freaks me out when she touches her eyeball, so I don't think I'll be going that route.
My wife when we met wore contacts and it seemed like every month or so we would spend time looking for a contact, either in the house or on a car floor. She eventually switched back to glasses. I have worn glasses since elementary school and so the idea of contacts or lasik has never interested me. I wear progessive bifocals now, with the change slightly lower than normal because that was easier for me to adjust to. It was originally right at that spot where when you drove you noticed it.

I have a friend who has actually done lasik commercials for a local firm, and recently I was with him when he put glasses on because he had trouble seeing a certain distance.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I just keep a big lens from a magnifying glass in my desk drawer. :mrgreen:

Just last night, while I was holding my hand in front of my face to block the absolutely ridiculous headlights from the vehicle on the other side of the traffic light it occurred to me that I'd like to have something about the size of a racquetball racket with a smoked glass insert to hold up occasionally in my car. :idea:
two months
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

When I have a car behind me with obnoxiously bright lights, I make it game to try and aim my rearview mirrors to reflect the light right back at them.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stimpy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:04 pm
stessier wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:19 pm It took a full seven days before the floating a boat feeling stopped for me. Took another week for me to start to forget I had bifocal s. It was a rough 14 days, but now it is great.
Bifocals or progressives?
I've had progressives and couldn't stand them. I'm doing the 2 sets of glasses thing also.
I've never had bifocals and am wondering if they'd be better.
I've worn bifocals since I was in my 20s. It takes your brain a little while to edit out the line, but once it does you have two large fields with perfect focus and none of that disorienting peripheral distortion. Looking down your nose to access the reading distance becomes second nature pretty fast.

I don't think I'll ever get progressives again.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm discovering another problem. My reading prescription changed, too, which I use for gaming. The frames I got have really thick temple tips (the bit behind the ear), and wearing my headphones over them is now agonizing.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:55 pm I'm discovering another problem. My reading prescription changed, too, which I use for gaming. The frames I got have really thick temple tips (the bit behind the ear), and wearing my headphones over them is now agonizing.
Pay for Gunnar computer/gaming glasses. "Sheadog" has VERY VERY thin arms, perfect for headphones. You can get them with prescription at participating opticians.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With Zenni, I can get the frame, the lenses, and the shipping for the whole thing for under $50. I can't even get the frames for that from Gunnar. Besides, I have zero desire for blue blockers.