This year's SxSW Bittorrent

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: This year's SxSW Bittorrent

Post by Kraken »

I only end up keeping 10-15% of the songs, so I should be fine. Unless my phone was telling me the total space on built-in storage plus SD card. It isn't real clear on that.

Probably going to get a new phone later this year anyway. The S8's should drop a little more when the S9's ship. My S4 is getting long in the tooth.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm 2018 A is available.
Sweet, thanks for the heads up! Is it safe to simply download these? Do I need any extra security when "doing" torrents? (obviously not hip to the downloading jargon of the whippersnappers)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You don't download from there. Those are torrent links, which crowdsource it across everyone who has the file.

I'm not up on the particular tech these days, but I've never heard of the links from here having any issues. As long as you're not searching for random torrents, you should be fine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:42 am I'm not up on the particular tech these days, but I've never heard of the links from here having any issues. As long as you're not searching for random torrents, you should be fine.
^^^^

SxSW should have started a clean file and once the mirrors are set in motion you're in good shape as long as you are using shady torrenting software. Now heading to a warez site or whatever the kids are calling them these days and taking music and movies and games and software, not so much...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've downloaded every one since 2005 without any problems. I even leave my bittorrent client running to seed for other people. It's the original crowdsourcing.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Wired or one of those tech magazines recommended using a VPN client when downloading from certain sites, can't remember if it was in reference to torrents or some other method.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I believe bittorrent is the method of choice for large pirated files, such as movies and maybe games. Definitely don't touch those. The SxSW feeds are safe.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

It feels blasphemous for me to just listen to their Spotify playlist. 1500+ songs... seems like the same broad discovery process that I used to get from the torrents.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wanted to get back to it, pulled up the 2005 list that I had been rating, and none of the ratings were still there. I guess I get to start over.
DD*

Post by DD* »

I read this whole thread just to say I only listen to news radio. :coffee:
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dave Foley and Stephen Root are pretty good. I can't stand Andy Dick, however.