This year's SxSW Bittorrent

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

This year's SxSW Bittorrent

Post by Kraken »

Apologies if I missed this. I've been watching for it and have not see anyone post a link to this year's download.

I don't know why it's not on the official SxSW site, but I found the file on several different blogs and hope that it's legit. My torrent is in progress now.

http://hewgill.com/sxsw/" target="_blank
Last edited by Kraken on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well that sure sank. I'm about 13 hours into this with 2.5 hours left to go, looking forward to having tons of new music tomorrow morning. Anyone else downloading?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

6000 songs on 500 CD's is enough for now. I don't hardly listen to the music I have.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

Its been up for at least a week or so. I had to go searching for it as you did. Lots of good stuff in there, its all I've listened to over these last few days.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm surprised it didn't attract any notice. This is my only source of new music, so it's rather a big deal to me.

753 songs in the download. I'm listening to #21 right now. Four files in my "keepers" folder, 8 in "maybes", and 9 deleted. I'm happy. I really enjoy going through these every year and distilling them down to a dozen new CDs for my car.

I gotta get a bigger hard drive, though. :lol:
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

If I ever catch up to my own backlog of music, I'd be all over the SXSW stuff. I have about 50 gigs of music from my emusic that I am still slowly going through.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Same here... I've grabbed the SXSW torrent the last few years running, but haven't really gotten around to listening to "it" much. I've gotten distracted and found more new music from the OO music thread, and other various sources than from it. Still, I agree, there's always some great stuff in there.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Where are you guys downloading so much legal free music that the SxSW download is just meh? You're partying without me again, aren't you?
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Ironrod wrote:Where are you guys downloading so much legal free music that the SxSW download is just meh? You're partying without me again, aren't you?
I had an emusic subscription back when it was still All You Can Download. Combined with the music I had illegally downloaded before then, plus the podcasts I've listened to over the years, plus the occasional CD I copy from a friend.... and the music I already own and know I like... it takes me a while to get to new music.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Ironrod wrote:Where are you guys downloading so much legal free music that the SxSW download is just meh? You're partying without me again, aren't you?
Ironrod, go to hypem.com two to three times a day. It's like having a year-long new music torrent to listen to, and all legal.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Enough

Re: 2009 SxSW Bittorrent

Post by Enough »

It doesn't seem quite the draw it used to be, but the 6gb 2009 torrent is up for SXSW.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Kraken

Re: 2008 SxSW Bittorrent UPDATED for 2009

Post by Kraken »

Thanks a lot for the link! I couldn't get Bittorrent to launch via Firefox, but IE handled it fine. Now trickling in at a respectable rate of 200 kbps. Oddly, part 1 is barely moving at all -- must not be many seeds.
Kraken

Re: 2008 SxSW Bittorrent

Post by Kraken »

That went well. It only took a day and a half to download all three parts. The tally so far: 5 keepers, 8 maybes, 4 deleted, and 1,250 left to audition. I do enjoy going through all this new music every year. :)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Anything from Terry Anderson and The Olympic Ass Kickin Team in there?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

There's also a free Ioda SXSW 2009 sampler up at Amazon mp3.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:There's also a free Ioda SXSW 2009 sampler up at Amazon mp3.
"Amazon MP3 Installer"? WTF? Just give me the freaking MP3s.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

Thanks for posting the news, Enough. This is always a great source of new music for me.
Here's to a long life and a merry one; A quick death and an easy one; A pretty girl and a true one; A cold beer, and another one.

Will write for food or music.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Ironrod wrote:
It's definitely an annoyance but not intrusive, which is good since I'm very picky about things like that. I just right click on the tray icon and exit after the mp3s finish downloading.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:
Ironrod wrote:
It's definitely an annoyance but not intrusive, which is good since I'm very picky about things like that. I just right click on the tray icon and exit after the mp3s finish downloading.
Well...I'm always suspicious of unnecessary client software. But hey, free music! :csmile:

(edit) Good lord, now it wants a credit card. Forget that.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Ironrod, you can probably skip the songs performed by N.A.S.A. (assuming I have a proper understanding of the sort of old-man indie music you'd enjoy). :) Just a public service announcement.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just got 1250 new songs. I don't need to go thru all that rigamarole for 11 more from Amazon.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Meal wrote:Ironrod, you can probably skip the songs performed by N.A.S.A. (assuming I have a proper understanding of the sort of old-man indie music you'd enjoy). :) Just a public service announcement.
For the record, I like everything except rap, headbanger, disco/pop, and opera. I listen to college stations and internet radio.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I stand behind my (non-)recommendation. Resist the seeming allure of the band's name, and stay away.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Found a link to two 2010 SxSW torrents today. There are 1038 files totaling 5.43GB. Downloading mine now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: 2010 SxSW Bittorrent

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks for the link. I actually never got around to downloading any of these, so I've got 2005-2010 all going now.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I have no idea what happened to my old torrent downloads for these, so I'm grabbing all of them again. Yay!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I haven't listened to any of last year's yet, but for some reason, I'm downloading this year's.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I was just thinking today that I need to change the CDs in my car stereo and I'm getting tired of my old SxSW disks...and then I remembered that it was about time for the new batch to come out.

I ought to go back through the previous years and delete the songs that I just don't like anymore, and then burn new CDs. Somehow I never get around to it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sounds like you need a new car capable of using an MP3 player (my last 3 cars have had input jacks). The last time I burned CDs was for a rental car I was putting 2000 miles on.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just missed being able to get a factory MP3 player. They were still unusual in 2004 and my car's option package came with a 6-disk CD changer. Period. I intended to replace it someday but it's never been worth the money and effort since I don't have an ipod either.

I only drive about 50 miles a week and usually listen to news radio. A rack of 6 CDs lasts me forever.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There were a lot of bands I would have loved have seen this year. I need to remember to pull this down and put on my mp3 player. Only my mp3 player can't handle 5 gigs.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote:Only my mp3 player can't handle 5 gigs.
I typically end up keeping 200-250 of the 1000+ songs.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ironrod wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Only my mp3 player can't handle 5 gigs.
I typically end up keeping 200-250 of the 1000+ songs.
Throwing them on the MP3 players will be how I figure out if I will keep them or not. The cool thing here is that Sirius decided that I could no longer keep paying $19 every three month to keep their service but now want $50 every three months, so the timing will be perfect. It'll take me a year to listen to 1,000 songs, figure out if I like the bands, keep or delete songs, and buy albums.

Sirius has been kind of failing any way. I pretty much gotten to where I only listen to Little Steven's Underground Garage and even that doesn't do enough for me.

My only fear for SxSW is that it will be missing the kind of music LSUG promotes but will mostly be promoting the music of Alt Nation and XMU.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Got everything downloaded and plugged into iTunes. 5400+ songs later, my computer is still analyzing/evening out the volume of each track. I'll probably never listen to them all, but I'll try!

Hey! An Amanda Palmer song! :wub:

Edit - Just an idea, but how about we pool our listening time and post up recommendations for songs/bands that stand out and try to compare them to other songs/bands so we have some sort of clue to them. Helpful?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kelric wrote:Edit - Just an idea, but how about we pool our listening time and post up recommendations for songs/bands that stand out and try to compare them to other songs/bands so we have some sort of clue to them. Helpful?
I can see how this could take a lot of work to coordinate and in the end compile a massive list along the lines of:

<band you never heard of> is something fans of <another band you never heard of> would like.

What winds up in Ironrod's recycle bin might be the music I like most. I suppose you can make a rough genre assignment...perhaps that would be of some help (so I can immediately discard country and hip-hop).
Black Lives Matter
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Rough genre assignment works as well. I was figuring we each just throw out a post in this thread every few days or weeks with what we've managed to listen to that really stands out rather than trying to coordinate anything.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Artist: 1001 Nights Orchestra
Genre: Instrumental (ensemble)
Notes: Middle-eastern rhythms, Spanish guitar. Innocuous instrumental music that would not seem out of place as background music at a neighborhood festival.
Rating: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Ironrod wrote:Found a link to two 2010 SxSW torrents today. There are 1038 files totaling 5.43GB. Downloading mine now.
Sweet! Thank you kindly!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Artist: A Shoreline Dream
Genre: Cosmic Rock
Notes: Mostly instrumental, guitar, bass and drums in the forefront, ethereal vocals echoing in the background.
Rating: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Artist: Aa
Genre: Progressive Rock
Notes: Kind of reminds me of something Mars Volta might do. African drums give way to synthesizer rhythms and vocals that sound somewhat like the dead guy from Blind Melon.
Rating: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:
Black Lives Matter