GamingTrend offline for a short time

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kelric

Re: GamingTrend offline for a short time

Post by Kelric »

A typical Remus / Chaos / Mortis conversation.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote:A typical Remus / Chaos / Mortis conversation.
Why you gotta bring me into this? Are you still irritable from that whole firecrotch thing? See a doctor already. One shot and and a little ointment and you'll be right as rain (whatever that means).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:
Kelric wrote:A typical Remus / Chaos / Mortis conversation.
Why you gotta bring me into this? Are you still irritable from that whole firecrotch thing? See a doctor already. One shot and and a little ointment and you'll be right as rain (whatever that means).
That reads like you gave him something that makes his crotch burn. If you know you have it why haven't you gone to the doctor too then? Poor CR will never walk the same again if he catches it. :shock:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
razgon

Post by razgon »

Iroooonrooooooood...NoooooOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Gone...
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

razgon wrote:Iroooonrooooooood...NoooooOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Scheduled downtime.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
Scheduled downtime.
That's what Rip said!
I'm special!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JonathanStrange wrote:Maybe they've had these problems before and we - ok, I, didn't notice them because I rarely went there before. Now that I feel more of a GT person than an OOer, I'm finding that GT's problems (like being down or "unable to access database", etc.) more apparent and a little worrisome. I mean I'd moved all my mental gear there thinking they're stable and now I realize again, nothing's stable.
FWIW, I've been at GT a long time, and the last couple weeks are the first time I've ever noticed any stability issues over there. I'm sure Ron will get it sorted out in short order.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
Scheduled downtime.
It was scheduled for about 9 hours ago. I don't think it was supposed to still be down now.

Edit: Actually, looks like it's back up but didn't go down last night at all. They say they've found the problem but will be fixing it during downtime tonight.
Last edited by Sarkus on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Caine

Post by Caine »

it's odd, but i was able to get in just long enough to post a message, so it's only been out during my absence. guess i was lucky.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

It's like all those MUDs that reset every day to clear up the trash.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Back down again with some sort of "maintenance issue" screen.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

It was up a few minutes ago and I saw Ron post that there was a problem with the I/O something something on one of the drives, and that it'll be replaced tonight.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Well at least OO can repay the favor and give GTers a place to post :D
Ron Burke

Post by Ron Burke »

...and tonight comes a little early. Emergency backup in progress, drive being replaced immediately. Turns out that that i/o error was a little more pressing than it looked. It downed the server almost as soon as we put a load on it.

Indeed....GT offline for a short time. :doh:
Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Oh the huge manatee!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm sorry. My last post in P&R might have seized up the brettmcd[bot]. I'm sure they can restore it from a backup. It seems like a pretty basic script. :P
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ironrod wrote:I'm sorry. My last post in P&R might have seized up the brettmcd[bot]. I'm sure they can restore it from a backup. It seems like a pretty basic script. :P
:roll:
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Since when did LordMortis get all salty?
18-1™ & 2-0
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Trent Steel wrote:Since when did LordMortis get all salty?
I've been eating combos. How did you find out?
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

Welcome to all the GT refugees. This place is kind of nice but please don't stay out at night and be wary of anyone approaching you that looks like the might need money or is overly manicured. Just send me a pm if you want to donate money for your stay here.

Thanks, and please remember, we are glad to see you but that really just is a tentacle.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LordMortis wrote:
When I was a kid my friend gave me some in a bowl to try and after I ate a few he told me it was dog food.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Ron Burke wrote:...and tonight comes a little early. Emergency backup in progress, drive being replaced immediately. Turns out that that i/o error was a little more pressing than it looked. It downed the server almost as soon as we put a load on it.

Indeed....GT offline for a short time. :doh:
Maybe you should just stay down and go ahead and do that forum upgrade you keep talking about.

Wait, that sound familiar. . .

:lol:
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Kind of surprised GT is still offline. Just getting DNS errors now.

I'm starting to have flashbacks . . . :shock:
purge

Post by purge »

Main site is up, forums are still down. :(

This is not official (I'm not part of the technical staff there), just a little sad as this is my addiction. :P
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not offended.
Please be patient - I will get to you shortly.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Yes I could also use a little GT love right now :( How will I know if Blackjack (hawk?) has posted any new information regarding the MSI Wind?
purge

Post by purge »

$@%%^)(*$^(###@$$##@!!!!

It's all down again.

Man, I *knew* I should have completed that America's Army review faster... that would have stemmed the flow of traffic. :doh:
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not offended.
Please be patient - I will get to you shortly.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

You guys didn't bring CeeKay with you?
*worried look*
CEEKAY? CAN YOU HEAR ME?
He's too little to be left out there on his own!
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

Chaosraven wrote:You guys didn't bring CeeKay with you?
*worried look*
CEEKAY? CAN YOU HEAR ME?
He's too little to be left out there on his own!
Remember, Ceekay's a GT exclusive... He's part of the site.. so if GT does down, Ceekay does down with it.

There's a bit of comfort in the thought. :P
Follow me as I make films at: xterminatingangel.com
"Don't waste your time or time will waste you."--Muse, 'Knights Of Cydonia'
Fear the Wiki!
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

LordMortis wrote:
I thought maybe you were still pissed about the state of getting in and out of parking lots in America.
18-1™ & 2-0
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

PR_GMR wrote:Remember, Ceekay's a GT exclusive... He's part of the site.. so if GT does down, Ceekay does down with it.

Now you are really going to make chaosraven sad. Chaosraven really wants to be there when Ceekay goes down.
Ron Burke

Post by Ron Burke »

Update:

Our drive recovered but it is running REALLY hot. We are replacing it. Thankfully we have a backup from just prior to the failure so things look good.

Rather than repair this ailing machine, we are going to toss the whole damned thing in the trash. When GT comes back up we'll be on a machine that is roughly 4x faster than the original server.

And now we wait... :pop:
Ron Burke
Director of Gaming Trend
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

Ok, I'm tired of these forum stunts. OO fakes an extended crash just to drum up business for GT, now GT is returning the favour. You can try to pretend otherwise, but it's so obvious what's really going on here.

I've been computing for 20 years and I've certainly never had a hard drive crash let alone any of these other supposed "hardware failures" that you guys keep talking about. :P
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks for the update Ron.

I just wanted to tell you good luck...we're all counting on you.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

I just wanted to tell you good luck...we're all counting on you.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Trent Steel wrote:I thought maybe you were still pissed about the state of getting in and out of parking lots in America.
I have the attention span of the average fowl and the memory of a well trained moth. All I remember is that left hand turns suck, which by the way, is being exacerbated by safety nazis who aparently don't know how to drive. It started with those damned liberals in Ann Arbor. First they want your guns. Then they want to control your language. Then they want to control your children. Then they want your blinky lefthand turn lights. And now it's spreading. Who does left hand turns before through traffic? Why? It's not the left of way. And the trade off, of course is that I now can't turn left on the blinky red when no oncoming traffic is present because they took the blinky red away. Bastards! Of course you cut down on accidents. There can be no accidents when traffic is at a stop. Just like there can be no accidents when we don't drive cars. I fear that soon they will take away my Michigan left and, heaven forbid, replace it with a roundabout or whatever you east coasters call those terrible turning traffic travesties.

And speaking of congestion going hand in hand with people not knowing how to drive. You'd think that after several years of gas increases that the roads would start becoming less crowded. That we'd cut back on "non essential" driving or whatever you want to call it. That we'd car pool. That sure hasn't happened around here. I know I drive less, I go out less, and I've started consolidating errands because every trip I make to the gas pump just offends the piss out of me. I literally stand there, get angry, and piss my pants when I go the gas station. But I'm learning. Now when I go to the gas station, I get out and yell obscenities, put the nozzel in the tank, whip out my schlong, and start sigining my name. The gas coming from the pump helps the whole process along. It's like running the faucet or watching The Titanic. You should try it some time. It'll catch on and eventually sweep the nation. It'll be a urinational protest at the pump.

But the point is, that I sure don't see less traffic when I am out there doing my essential driving. Like when I go to the bar. And I do notice that gas stations are more crowded than ever even if we are theoretically driving less [cough]bullshit[/cough]. Why? Because every gas station is now pre pay. Why? Because even if a subcompact does a gas and go, that econobox still driving away to the tune of fifty bucks. A full size truck would gas and go for over $200 at today's filling station. But now, if you pre pay at the pump because you have to pre pay, they're gonna charge you an extra twelve cents a gallon. Oh, sweet baby pancake. So now no one wants to use a charge card and now they have to go inside to pre pay. And if I have a forty gallon tank (which thank the pretrol deities I don't), I'm not going to pay an extra twelves cents gallon to fill it. I don't blame you. That's five bucks everytime you go to fill your tank. A tank that is already costing you a car payment just to fill. Every one has to get in line. And heck, you've got lotto. Billy Bob Compulsive Gambler doesn't have his lotto slips. But he remembers the numbers why doesn't he just tell them to you? You don't know how to manually enter them. Well then, I'll just sit here in line, not pumping my gas, while Billy fills those slips out. Better give him some scratch offs while you're at it. What kind do you have. Can he see what the payout are on those? By the time I get to the front of line, I have to ask for some pain killers they keep behind the counter. "What kind do you have back there behind the bullet proof glass? How much are they? What's the difference between these?" And then I realise that to fill my tank on three, I'm going to somehow have to get back in line to get my change. Fuck that noise. "Give my twenty bucks on pump number three and I'll guess have come here piss you again that much sooner next time." And so you get back out to your pump and your find serenity in paying your $4.19 a gallon and are sucking on the presicous fumes hoping they combine with your Tylenol to get you high when you hit ninteen dollars and fifty cents. And good god damned if the pump doesn't slow down to measure my gas in nanogallons. I hit a timewarp and it's takes like twenty minutes to get that last tenth of a gallon. How the hell hard is it make the pump stop at twenty dollars without the dramatic reality TV show slow down at the end to make you appreciate that you are coming to the end of your painful experience?

How about if you are going to inconvenience me all to all fuck all, how about you put up one of those U Pay stations at the pump like they have at the grocers. That way I can pre pay. I can fill up the whole tank. I can pay in cash. And you can give me my change after the transaction. And for fuck's sake do not fuckin fuck fuckin let fuckin old fuckin people use fuckin use them.

I'm sorry. I don't recall the details of my parking lot complaints whatever they were. (And I think I've gotten better about keeping my rants to myself)

And I'm also sorry that to hear about GT Ron. Hoping things go smoothly soon.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

Hopefully, GT will be back up soon. What will happen to the onehundredpushups challenge then? I just performed my exhaustion test after week 2 and got 39. Just a slight improvement over my initial 33 a couple of weeks ago, but I'll take it.
Follow me as I make films at: xterminatingangel.com
"Don't waste your time or time will waste you."--Muse, 'Knights Of Cydonia'
Fear the Wiki!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

PR_GMR wrote:Hopefully, GT will be back up soon. What will happen to the onehundredpushups challenge then? I just performed my exhaustion test after week 2 and got 39. Just a slight improvement over my initial 33 a couple of weeks ago, but I'll take it.
You seem to be almost exactly at the same pace as I am. I'll be curious to hear if your week 3 day 1 is as brutal as mine was.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

Sabotage.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

LordMortis wrote:
PR_GMR wrote:Remember, Ceekay's a GT exclusive... He's part of the site.. so if GT does down, Ceekay does down with it.

Now you are really going to make chaosraven sad. Chaosraven really wants to be there when Ceekay goes down.
I'm sure they left plenty of food and water within his reach. CeeKay's tougher than you'd think: he's probably happily posting hundreds of comments blissfully unaware that the site's temporarily offline. Still, once he becomes aware of that, all bets are off.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Beer Goggles wrote:Sabotage.
I'm gonna set it straight, this Watergate.
18-1™ & 2-0