Reminder: For your holiday/Black Friday shopping, please use the Amazon affiliate links. This time of year can generate the lion's share of affiliate income for the year to keep the lights on. Every bit helps! Thanks!

Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Post Reply
User avatar
Brian
Posts: 10692
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:51 am
Location: South of Heaven
[OO] Brian’s avatar
Loading…

Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Brian » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:34 pm

Surprised nobody has written a review for Death Race by now. Or maybe somebody did and I missed it but there's definitely not one on page one of EBG.

My wife and I went to see Death Race this weekend (at her suggestion by the way) and I was delivered exactly what I was expecting which is a movie not too long on plot but heavy on vehicular carnage. Needless to say I was satisfied.

So too was the wife especially given her attraction to muscular bald men like Jason Statham and which I am probably the exact opposite of since I have long hair and a belly. :oops: Oh well, at least she still loves me.

Moments before leaving the house to go see this movie I received a call from a friend asking if I had any plans for that day. I told him I was going to see Death Race and he said he'd seen it the night before and that he had liked it. I said as long as it looked like something out of Car Wars and didn't ask me to swallow too large a bullshit pill that I'd probably be happy with it too.

I was shocked when my friend asked what Car Wars was so I told him all about the old Steve Jackson pocket games back in the day and detailed the premise of Car Wars for him. He said it sounded cool so I told him to come over after the movie and I would break out the game and teach him how to play.

During the race/battle scenes in the movie I kept thinking how very much like Car Wars this was and couldn't wait to get back home to dig out the old game. Once the movie was over I dug out all my old Car Wars stuff, the original boxed game, Sunday Drivers, Truck Stop, four expansion packs, game screen, and multiple issues of Autoduel Quarterly. I was pissed that I couldn't find my Uncle Alberts catalog since it had some great weapons additions in it.

Once my friend arrived I ran him through the basic rules and how to design a few different cars and then we played through a couple of highway chases and then a couple of duels in an arena that I had created over twenty years ago and was still in good shape today.

Man, it was great to go from the Death Race movie almost directly to playing Car Wars for the first time in over twenty years.

Needless to say, I'll probably be picking up Death Race on DVD. I might even try to dig up a copy of the original Death Race 2000 and have a double feature night some day.
Last edited by Brian on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
Peacedog
Posts: 13148
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:11 pm
Location: Despair, level 5
Contact:

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Peacedog » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Death Race looks like it'd be a good fit for the low(er)-tech metal armor setup to me. No fancy plastic alloys and heavy lasers here.

User avatar
The Meal
Posts: 25997
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: 2005 Stanley Cup Champion
the_meal’s avatar
Offline

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by The Meal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm so in!
Not a pathological narcissist.

User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 37127
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Online

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Daehawk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:12 pm

The previews make me want to play I-76 again.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

User avatar
The Preacher
Forum Moderator
Posts: 13030
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:57 am

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by The Preacher » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Image

And this would be a great strategy remake.
Last edited by The Preacher on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.

User avatar
Brian
Posts: 10692
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:51 am
Location: South of Heaven
[OO] Brian’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Brian » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Daehawk wrote:The previews make me want to play I-76 again.
My two all time favorite PC games are Privateer and I'76.

Given that Death Race takes place in an enclosed arena style track it was far more reminiscent of Car Wars than I'76 but yeah, all it needed was some funky groove and it would have fit in nicely in the I'76 world.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 52452
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (Test Server)

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:58 pm

The geography in I'76 was all wrong. I lived in that area of Texas. There are no mountains.
Silver - 5k

User avatar
geezer
Posts: 7091
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Yeeha!

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by geezer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Brian wrote:Surprised nobody has written a review for Death Race by now. Or maybe somebody did and I missed it but there's definitely not one on page one of EBG.

My wife and I went to see Death Race this weekend (at her suggestion by the way) and I was delivered exactly what I was expecting which is a movie not too long on plot but heavy on vehicular carnage. Needless to say I was satisfied.

So too was the wife especially given her attraction to muscular bald men like Jason Statham and which I am probably the exact opposite of since I have long hair and a belly. :oops: Oh well, at least she still loves me.

Moments before leaving the house to go see this movie I received a call from a friend asking if I had any plans for that day. I told him I was going to see Death Race and he said he'd seen it the night before and that he had liked it. I said as long as it looked like something out of Car Wars and didn't ask me to swallow too large a bullshit pill that I'd probably be happy with it too.

I was shocked when my friend asked what Car Wars was so I told him all about the old Steve Jackson pocket games back in the day and detailed the premise of Car Wars for him. He said it sounded cool so I told him to come over after the movie and I would break out the game and teach him how to play.

During the race/battle scenes in the movie I kept thinking how very much like Car Wars this was and couldn't wait to get back home to dig out the old game. Once the movie was over I dug out all my old Car Wars stuff, the original boxed game, Sunday Drivers, Truck Stop, four expansion packs, game screen, and multiple issues of Autoduel Quarterly. I was pissed that I couldn't find my Uncle Alberts catalog since it had some great weapons additions in it.

Once my friend arrived I ran him through the basic rules and how to design a few different cars and then we played through a couple of highway chases and then a couple of duels in an arena that I had created over twenty years ago and was still in good shape today.

Man, it was great to go from the Death Race movie almost directly to playing Car Wars for the first time in over twenty years.

Needless to say, I'll probably be picking up Death Race on DVD. I might even try to dig up a copy of the original Death Race 2000 and have a double feature night some day.
Car Wars was my favorite. I had a contribution back in the Uncle Alberts catalog back in the day :) I came across the "new" version a few years back - super streamlined , but it just didn't appeal like the old one did.

Sadly, Car Wars seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

My other old fave, Star Fleet Battles, seems to be chugging along with a small but crazy fan base though.

User avatar
KiloOhm
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: MA

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by KiloOhm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:45 pm

The Preacher wrote:Image

And this would be a great strategy remake.
Oh man please - my Favorite game ever.

Car Wars was a lot of fun too. When I first saw this movie I thought it might be a remake of Death Race 2000 but the previews make it seem not to be.
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive

User avatar
gameoverman
Posts: 4735
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:21 pm
Location: Glendora, CA

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by gameoverman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:53 pm

I saw Death Race over the weekend.

It's not really worth it's own thread, to be honest. However, I thought it was entertaining enough as a car mayhem action movie.

On the downside, you lose the social satire by isolating it to a prisoner only participation sport. On the upside, it works well as a prequel to the original movie, because you can clearly see how the next progression in this society would be to put this Death Race on the open road for maximum ratings(and money).

Oh yeah, this is one movie that actually uses the internet in a realistic way. Whoever wrote this knows how things like online subscriptions and live feeds(maybe a Big Brother fan?) really work.

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 12492
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Zarathud » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:24 am

If you like try reading...

Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump

User avatar
theohall
Posts: 11697
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:01 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by theohall » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 am

Zarathud wrote:If you like try reading...

Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan
++

That book is Car Wars gone corporate on a world-wide scale. Being another Car Wars (original game owner), Autoduel, I-76 fan - guess this movie turned into a must-see. :)

User avatar
KiloOhm
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: MA

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by KiloOhm » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm

gameoverman wrote: It's not really worth it's own thread, to be honest. However, I thought it was entertaining enough as a car mayhem action movie.
SRSLY? Have you seen some of the inane crap we talk about here?

Is this you reading GG: :coffee:

:lol:
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive

User avatar
Brian
Posts: 10692
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:51 am
Location: South of Heaven
[OO] Brian’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Brian » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:25 pm

KiloOhm wrote:
gameoverman wrote: It's not really worth it's own thread, to be honest. However, I thought it was entertaining enough as a car mayhem action movie.
SRSLY? Have you seen some of the inane crap we talk about here?

Is this you reading GG: :coffee:

:lol:
And besides, this thread is half Death Race and half Car Wars.

So there. :P Pthttptptptptpptpt :P
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 52452
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (Test Server)

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 pm

KiloOhm wrote:
gameoverman wrote: It's not really worth it's own thread, to be honest. However, I thought it was entertaining enough as a car mayhem action movie.
SRSLY? Have you seen some of the inane crap we talk about here?

Is this you reading GG: :coffee:

:lol:
Um, it's OO. Thanks for pulling the old wound open. I still have to stop myself from typing the old URL. :cry:

.

.

.

.

.

:wink:
Silver - 5k

User avatar
theohall
Posts: 11697
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:01 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by theohall » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:26 am

KiloOhm wrote:
gameoverman wrote: It's not really worth it's own thread, to be honest. However, I thought it was entertaining enough as a car mayhem action movie.
SRSLY? Have you seen some of the inane crap we talk about here?

Is this you reading GG: :coffee:

:lol:
Holy crap! Hard copy with coffee??? :D

User avatar
Peacedog
Posts: 13148
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:11 pm
Location: Despair, level 5
Contact:

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Peacedog » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:31 am

The Preacher wrote:Image

And this would be a great strategy remake.
That car design sucks.

User avatar
theohall
Posts: 11697
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:01 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by theohall » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 am

Peacedog wrote:
The Preacher wrote:Image

And this would be a great strategy remake.
That car design sucks.
That guys in trouble too. No ammo.

User avatar
Debris
Posts: 4455
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:13 am
Location: Over Dresden at Angels one five

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Debris » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:29 am

theohall wrote:
Peacedog wrote:
The Preacher wrote:Image

And this would be a great strategy remake.
That car design sucks.
That guys in trouble too. No ammo.
What do you need ammo for when you only have two rockets mounted?

I'd be more worried about the lack of armor.

User avatar
The Preacher
Forum Moderator
Posts: 13030
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:57 am

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by The Preacher » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 am

Debris wrote:
theohall wrote:
Peacedog wrote:
The Preacher wrote:Image

And this would be a great strategy remake.
That car design sucks.
That guys in trouble too. No ammo.
What do you need ammo for when you only have two rockets mounted?

I'd be more worried about the lack of armor.
I actually reacquired Autoduel last night after thinking about this. I need a refresher on everything.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.

User avatar
Debris
Posts: 4455
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:13 am
Location: Over Dresden at Angels one five

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Debris » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:09 am

The Preacher wrote:
Debris wrote:
theohall wrote:
Peacedog wrote:
The Preacher wrote:Image

And this would be a great strategy remake.
That car design sucks.
That guys in trouble too. No ammo.
What do you need ammo for when you only have two rockets mounted?

I'd be more worried about the lack of armor.
I actually reacquired Autoduel last night after thinking about this. I need a refresher on everything.
Get to Atlantic City and gamble to make easy money. I think $100k was my magic number to be able to afford any cars I wanted. It might take a little time, but you will eventually win big.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 57025
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by LordMortis » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 am

I loved Autoduel back in the day. I never finished it, though becuase I never owned it. I decided to get it again to play through an emulator a years ago and found it unplayable. The emulator was not so much and the keyboard controls just weren't working for me. Maybe if I bought hand controller or joystick again. But that seems like an awful lot of effort for something that may or may not work and may or may not be fun.

But I loved decking out a van full of armor and running bikes off the road. Who needs ammo when you are driving a van full of plate armor.

User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5095
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by gbasden » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:34 am

Autoduel is second only to Crush, Crumble and Chomp as the game I most want redone for modern hardware. I played it through about 5 years ago again and it was still a whole lot of fun.

User avatar
Brian
Posts: 10692
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:51 am
Location: South of Heaven
[OO] Brian’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Death Race Vis-a-vis Car Wars

Post by Brian » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:47 am

Just think, if Death Race does reasonably well, imagine an Interstate '76 movie someday.

I think it would totally work.

Of course, there's only one person that could play Taurus: Samual Jackson.

And god help me but I could totally see Matthew McConaughey as Groove Champion.

Any thoughts on who should play Jade Champion and Skeeter?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Post Reply