[TV] Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

cheeba

[TV] Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Post by cheeba »

The Clone Wars cartoon series began this weekend on Cartoon Network. I had missed Friday's showing but caught it tonight.

I am a total Star Wars fanboy, I should mention. Whenever I go to a store like a Wal-Mart or Meijer's and wander past the toy department, I still check out the Star Wars figures and legos. So with that out of the way...

I thought it was pretty decent, just like the movie. It's not as cool or as stylish as the original Clone Wars cartoons. It's definitely more for kids. But it had at least some interesting themes. The first episode was Yoda going to the Toydarian (think: Watto) planet to convince them to ally with the Republic. Asajj Ventress ( :wub: ) and her droids got there first and shot down Yoda's ship, forcing him to eject to the planet with 3 clone troopers. When Yoda contacted the Toydarian leader, Asajj offered a test: she would send a droid army after Yoda and if he made it to the Toydarian leader, they could ally with the Republic.

What followed was mostly what you would expect, with Yoda shredding the droid army. But it also had a sub-theme where the clone troopers dealt with their status as clones and their worth to Yoda. Yoda assured them they were individuals, especially in the eyes of the force. The second show had a similar theme, where the clone troopers were resigned to death because they knew they were expendable.

So at least it has some deeper themes than just "jedi smash".

I really liked how the first episode was almost all about Yoda and the clone troopers, with little to no appearances from the other main characters, while the second episode featured Plo Koon, though had a bunch of Anakin and his padawan.

I look forward to next week's episodes.
Daehawk

Re: [TV] Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Post by Daehawk »

Doh missed it all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Debris

Post by Debris »

My grandson and I watched both episodes on Friday. I thought they were much better than the movie as they didn't have as much kitsch as the movie. It was also a lot easier to sit through a couple of 20 min episodes instead of a 2 hour movie.

The stories were good as was the action. It's good to see them focusing on friendship, self-worth, values and sacrifice instead of just a shoot-em-up set in the Star Wars universe.

I still think the droid army was programmed by The Three Stooges and Henny Youngman, but it adds a little comic relief that my grandson enjoys. He especially likes to see Grievous punch their heads off after they say something stupid in the trailers. Let's just say, I can empathize with the guy.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The first episode was so-so, but the second one was pretty good, perhaps because it was quite dark. The first episode made me fear that the series was going to be all about the republic destroying battle droids with hardly any loss of life (read: the kid-friendly approach), but then the second episode countered that by killing probably hundreds of republic soldiers.

I don't know why, but I really like General Grievous. He's so different from most Star Wars characters, yet still fits in.
Insert witty comment here.
Gedd
Technical Admin

Post by Gedd »

Caught both episodes on Friday. I like how they're trying to show the individual nature of the clones, and giving us a peek into thoughts. They obviously don't think they're worth very much, and it was good to see the Jedi trying to assure them that they are valuable.

The battle droids immediately started getting on my nerves. I didn't think it was possible for them to do so more than in the movies, but they really went overboard with it. I know it's not for me, and it's there for the kids, but it really yanked me out of an otherwise enjoyable story.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So is this new Clone Wars ignoring the first Clone Wars cartoons? Because I can't figure out when this series is supposed to be taking place.

As I recall, the climax of the first clone wars cartoon had Greivous kidnapping Palpatine and taking him aboard his command ship, immediately prior to the start of events in Revenge of the Sith, where Obi-Wan and Anikin rescued Palpatine and Anikin killed Count Dooku. Now, I would try and figure place this as happening before the events of the first clone wars, but Greivous is showing signs of the injury that Mace Windu gave him in the first Clone Wars cartoon. So this is just bugging the shit out of me.

Anyone have any explanations? Or do I just need to get a life?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
theohall

Post by theohall »

hentzau wrote:So is this new Clone Wars ignoring the first Clone Wars cartoons? Because I can't figure out when this series is supposed to be taking place.

As I recall, the climax of the first clone wars cartoon had Greivous kidnapping Palpatine and taking him aboard his command ship, immediately prior to the start of events in Revenge of the Sith, where Obi-Wan and Anikin rescued Palpatine and Anikin killed Count Dooku. Now, I would try and figure place this as happening before the events of the first clone wars, but Greivous is showing signs of the injury that Mace Windu gave him in the first Clone Wars cartoon. So this is just bugging the shit out of me.

The Clone Wars movie takes place shortly after Attack of the Clones. Is that enough of a life? ;)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

theohall wrote:
hentzau wrote:So is this new Clone Wars ignoring the first Clone Wars cartoons? Because I can't figure out when this series is supposed to be taking place.

The Clone Wars movie takes place shortly after Attack of the Clones. Is that enough of a life? ;)
You're talking about the theatrical release of the clone wars cartoons, right? Thats what I was ASSUMING was supposed to be the time frame. But it still does fly in the face of the Tartikoff cartoons, which explained where Anikin got his scar and where Greivous got his annoying cough. :?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
theohall

Post by theohall »

hentzau wrote:
theohall wrote:

You're talking about the theatrical release of the clone wars cartoons, right? Thats what I was ASSUMING was supposed to be the time frame. But it still does fly in the face of the Tartikoff cartoons, which explained where Anikin got his scar and where Greivous got his annoying cough. :?
Yes, that is the gripe about the movie vice the Tartakovsky cartoons. Most of the "decent" reviews mention this as the sticking point for Star Wars geeks. The Tartakovsky cartoons were used as a "loose basis" for how the Clone Wars movie should appear, but they basically ignored any of the Tartakovsky story line.

The movie is supposed to be an intro for the new Clone Wars TV series. They probably would've been better off using the Tartakovsky story-line more instead of going to after Attack of the Clones.

Although, Lucas does say he never really thought about this much as the original concept was nothing more than three lines.
George Lucas wrote:I knew that there were clones against droids. And I knew that the clones turned against Jedi, and that they were the precursor of the Stormtroopers.
Everything else beyond that initial concept, Lucas has been making up as he goes along. So it's kind of a pain if you're a fan-boy trying to figure out timelines and such.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

theohall wrote:Yes, that is the gripe about the movie vice the Tartakovsky cartoons. Most of the "decent" reviews mention this as the sticking point for Star Wars geeks. The Tartakovsky cartoons were used as a "loose basis" for how the Clone Wars movie should appear, but they basically ignored any of the Tartakovsky story line.
Well, that's kind of annoying, since I thought that the original cartoons were supposed to be canon. I too noticed that Greivous was coughing and had a big WTF moment. I don't see why they couldn't have meshed the two together. I was figuring these shows would just take place earlier in the Clone Wars while the cartoon would be considered as taking place towards the tail end. That could even give them a way to explain why Ahsoka wasn't in the cartoon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok just watched my 3rd episode. I missed the first 2 or so. I love this animation. The show just oozes cool. General Grievous is spot on. I agree totally that the silly robots interfere with my watching it but just a little. I loved how when one of them says "I cant hit anything" Grievous knocks his head off LOL. My favorite parts are seeing the capital ships jump in and start fighting. The sounds are great. I kinda wish I didn't know what the future held for Anakin and the clones though. Knowing the future puts a small damper on it all. Love those Alliance cruisers though..Venator class are they? Beautiful.

I hope the show has a very long series run. Every time i watch an ep I get a HUGE urge to get out my old Star Wars games to play. Ive just finished all 3 campaigns in Empire at War and it's addon Forces of Corruption. Now Im tinking of playing KOTOR for the 3rd time and even digging out my old Jedi Knight series games.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I am also really enjoying this series so far. After the horrible reviews of the animated movie, I wasn't expecting much, but I've been pleasantly surprised. Like the prequels, it's mostly aimed at a kid audience, but unlike the prequels, it doesn't blow chunks.

I've actually been most impressed by how they've characterized Anikin -- he's definitely a good guy, but you can see hints of his dark side in his dialogue. The prequels did this really clumsily, but it works really well in the cartoon.
theohall

Post by theohall »

AWS260 wrote:I've actually been most impressed by how they've characterized Anikin -- he's definitely a good guy, but you can see hints of his dark side in his dialogue. The prequels did this really clumsily, but it works really well in the cartoon.
If Hayden Christensen could act, this wouldn't have been a problem. :)
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah tonight's (or I should say Friday's) was another good episode. So far so good on this series.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The show is staying surprisingly good. The only episode that has been somewhat "meh" so far was the first one, and that was only because it gave an impression that it was going to be a 100% family-friendly show with little to no friendly losses and only droids being destroyed. I'm happy to say that episodes 2 and 3 have been satisfyingly dark, and episode 4 felt like the opening scenes in Revenge of the Sith, in a good way. I'm sticking with this show for now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So is this going to be a long lived series or is it just 1 season? I cant find any episode info after this season. I hope it stays around. I love it.
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

I've seen conflicting data. Apparently, Lucas said 39 episodes were already in the can during a 2007 interview. However, considering it aired a year later and other information says it's got 22 planned episodes I can't be sure one way or another.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Boy they had two strong episodes the past 2 weeks. Last week Asajj Ventress beat the crap out of a jedi master and Skywalker's padawan (unfortunately, no deaths) and then this week General Grievous had a couple sweet fights, first killing Kit Fisto's former padawan and then getting rocked by Kit Fisto dual wielding, though he of course managed to escape.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Is there anywhere I can see the earlier episodes and get caught up? I didn't even realize this was on cartoon network.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Those two last episodes frigging rocked! The Clone Wars series is really turning out much better than expected.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Yup, gotta say this has been pretty darn good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

its back