Unleashed - my Jet Li withdrawal

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Tim Frederick

Unleashed - my Jet Li withdrawal

Post by Tim Frederick »

Man, I can't wait for Unleashed to come out next spring... wish it were sooner. I am totally in Jet Li withdrawal, and I need something new. Plus I need an American Jet Li movie that is not like Cradle 2 the Grave, hehe.
Check out the trailer. I'm excited at least :)

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/550/5 ... ?fromint=1
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

My Bob Hoskins fix was causing problems. Glad to hear hes coming back.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Li's character, Danny, has lived his whole life as a slave and has no adult education. He told us, "My character is mentally only ten years old, but physically fares well. He can beat up a lot of people in a few seconds. But he doesn't understand life. He doesn't have friends, he doesn't have family. ... So I meet Morgan Freeman's character. He's a piano tuner and he [introduces me to] music. And his music brings me back. [Helps me] become normal person. I feel the friendship, I feel the love, I feel the family. And I become a normal person. That is the whole story."
Are you kidding me? I can buy this in a Hong Kong movie production (ever see God of Gamblers) but this may lead to disaster!
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Jet Li was dead to me once he started doing so much wire work.

It's not like wire work is bad, but he is Jet fucking Li... it's like Jackie Chan using a stunt man.
Tim Frederick

Post by Tim Frederick »

Did you watch the trailer though? I think it can work. Morgan Freeman gives it some extra credibility for me as well.
Tim Frederick

Post by Tim Frederick »

I think in Kiss of the Dragon he only used wires on the billiards scene. But yeah, he is using more. Then again, he is getting older... Plus, half his Chinese movies used crazy amounts of wire-work. Look at Swordsman 2, or some of the OUATIC movies. Fists of Legend and the ones that try to avoid it are awesome, but it's not like he never used it. Anyways, he still kicks ass.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Tim Frederick wrote:Did you watch the trailer though? I think it can work. Morgan Freeman gives it some extra credibility for me as well.
Just saw the trailer. I want to believe!
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Tim Frederick wrote:I think in Kiss of the Dragon he only used wires on the billiards scene. But yeah, he is using more. Then again, he is getting older... Plus, half his Chinese movies used crazy amounts of wire-work. Look at Swordsman 2, or some of the OUATIC movies. Fists of Legend and the ones that try to avoid it are awesome, but it's not like he never used it. Anyways, he still kicks ass.
That's true. I was a little overly hash.

We all know Jet Li kicks ass. That's a given... however, that's sorta the point.

I don't have a problem with wire work in general... if it's thematically appropriate, it can be totally choice (see The Matrix and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

However, I've seen Jet Li kick ass and do things that no human being should be conceivably able to do... without wires. To see him shooting across the screen to "jump kick" somebody... is disappointing.
Odin

Post by Odin »

The One was pretty good.
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

Hero comes out on DVD November 30. That may be enough to tide you over until this spring.
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

However, I've seen Jet Li kick ass and do things that no human being should be conceivably able to do... without wires. To see him shooting across the screen to "jump kick" somebody... is disappointing.
I agree. He can do such amazing things without wires that when he does use them, it is a little disappointing. It doesn't ruin things for me but I think his movies would be better without it. It would add believablilty to them that is lacking with the wire stunts.

That said, I think this movie shows some promise and will definitely be seeing it regardless of the reviews.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:Jet Li was dead to me once he started doing so much wire work.

It's not like wire work is bad, but he is Jet fucking Li... it's like Jackie Chan using a stunt man.
Jackie may have to start soon. He ain't getting younger.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:
Tim Frederick wrote:I think in Kiss of the Dragon he only used wires on the billiards scene. But yeah, he is using more. Then again, he is getting older... Plus, half his Chinese movies used crazy amounts of wire-work. Look at Swordsman 2, or some of the OUATIC movies. Fists of Legend and the ones that try to avoid it are awesome, but it's not like he never used it. Anyways, he still kicks ass.
That's true. I was a little overly hash.

We all know Jet Li kicks ass. That's a given... however, that's sorta the point.

I don't have a problem with wire work in general... if it's thematically appropriate, it can be totally choice (see The Matrix and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

All kung fu movies use wires. Jet Li using wires is nothing new.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Dirt wrote: All kung fu movies use wires. Jet Li using wires is nothing new.
Really? Every single one? Ever?
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Sith Lord wrote:
The distinction is: obvious wire work vs. wire work.

It's one thing to use wires for safety reasons. It's quite another to use them to levitate your protaganist 12 feet across the screen in the "flying crane" posture to kick the evil dude's head.

It's cool in Shaolin style kung fu, where the mythos supports such flights of fancy. (I'm sooo punny) But when the 20th century hard-boiled cop with revenge on the brain defies gravity to kick 8 people in the head while hovering in place...

It just doesn't work.
qp

Post by qp »

I have found my fighting style...Tai Chi!
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:
Sith Lord wrote:
The distinction is: obvious wire work vs. wire work.

It's one thing to use wires for safety reasons. It's quite another to use them to levitate your protaganist 12 feet across the screen in the "flying crane" posture to kick the evil dude's head.

It's cool in Shaolin style kung fu, where the mythos supports such flights of fancy. (I'm sooo punny) But when the 20th century hard-boiled cop with revenge on the brain defies gravity to kick 8 people in the head while hovering in place...

It just doesn't work.
There is plenty of Chinese novels to support this kind of fighting amongst modern day people. Wei Si Li (Wesley) is one example. It exists and is a reflection of the stories written in Chinese writing countries.